As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CF Secret Santa 2017

CF SANTACF SANTA Registered User regular
edited December 2017 in Critical Failures
Critical Failure's Secret Santa 2017!

>Who Is This For?
CF is a haven for all sorts of tabletop gamers and hobbyists, including role-players, miniature gamers, board gamers, and more. If you see yourself as part of the CF community, this Secret Santa event is for you.

>Awesome! What are the rules?
As previous years have started a little later than the elves would like, Santa (being the kind and considerate employer you know me to be) has tried to get ahead of the game this year. Names will be taken until 2359GMT ON FRIDAY 27th OCTOBER, at which point no further names will be accepted. Names will then be picked at random and assigned to individuals, with PMs sent out on Sunday 5th November with the name of your Santee (the person you will be gifting). Remember the point of this event is that you are a Secret Santa, so please don't go spouting off to all and sundry. Based on the preferences that your recipient will post when they register to be a part of the event, you will then be prompted buy/convert/paint/whatever you deem suitable for a gift.

You will then be able to collect or work on whatever is being sent. The deadline for your recipient to get her gift is going to be 31st January 2018 - that hopefully leaves you with plenty of time to put together whatever it is and get it sent out. THIS DOES NOT MEAN TO START THINKING ABOUT MAYBE BUYING A GIFT A WEEK BEFORE THE FINISH, YOU SILLY GEESE. If anyone fails to provide a gift within a reasonable time (or at all), they will be summarily barred from the next event - or possibly worse. Past events have gone (in general) without a hitch and I'd like it to stay that way. Order sooner rather than later so you don't get screwed by some store/shipping/natural disasters.

>What would constitute a suitable gift?
This is where we unfortunately get subjective. I'd like to think we all have the good common sense to pick good gifts in this regard. For guidelines, I'd suggest something like $15 (or $20-ish with shipping) as a minimum. The minimum price on the gift is there to prevent someone from sending like a single arm, half a body or the random pages that fell out of someone's D20 OGL book. If you wish to do so then by all means go as far above this minimum limit as you want, it'd be awesome to see that sort of thing on the whole. We have had some fantastic gifts in previous years and remember that giving is just as important as receiving (however don't feel that you need to spend the GDP of a small island to take part)! You will basically be held to the honor system (and the threat of being pointed at and beaten with internet-sticks) to ensure that the person who you are gifting does not feel cheated. By all means, send a titan to your Santee if you wish!

Gift recommendation are a combination of what you're capable of, and what your Santee wants. A PnP gamer who's never touched bare pewter is probably not the right person to give a complete Cryx strike force too. On the other hand, they might greatly appreciate receiving a nicely painted rendition of their PC from their long-running forum game, or the latest expansion sourcebook in their setting of choice.

Popular gifts in the past include single miniatures, books, board games, or accessories, so long as they meet the $15 minimum requirement. However, there's no need to feel obligated to get someone a complete set of Kingdom Death: Monster with expansions, for example, just because they express an interest in it (then again, no one can stop it if you do…). Be careful though - it's no use having an amazing plan if your Santee never actually gets the gift. Don't go crazy and end up never getting anything sent.

>I live in [insert country no-one has ever heard of]. Can I participate?
ABSOLUTELY! Ideally, we would get a few people from all over to participate. To make sending the gifts easier if we get enough international participants I will organize everyone into categories based on location while drawing the names to try and keep international mailing to a minimum. This cannot be guaranteed though so keep in mind postage and check weights etc before buying gifts.

>How do I sign up?
Entries are not considered official until I (CF SANTA) receive a PM from you containing the following:

1. Your name
2. Your address Please include a country so I don't have to guess
2a. Your email address
3. What games you collect / play, or what you would like to see in a gift
4: Suggestions - 'I play Exalted' doesn't help your Santa much in narrowing down what would be a good gift. Saying something like, 'I play Exalted and have been looking at getting Dreams of the First Age, Graceful Wicked Masques, or Scroll of Heroes' gives your Santa an idea of what you wants, and helps Santa if he's not familiar with your chosen system.

If you do not send this PM, you will not be entered in the event! - DO NOT SEND ME A PM JUST SAYING "I'M IN"

Even if you participated in the last event,your personal information has not been kept. Also, when your Santa gets your information they receive it in the form of THE SAME MESSAGE YOU SEND ME. I literally forward your contact information and model preferences to the person giving you your gift, so the reason to make you all jump through the hoops of filling the information out is so that I have something to supply to your Santa. I also want to make sure I have up-to-date information.

When you sign up, please put some money aside for the gift right then. If you do not have funds do not sign up. The overwhelming majority of previous excuses that we get are from people not having enough money to actually purchase a gift for their Santee, this hasn't been an issue for a few years so let's keep it this way. I realize most of you won't know at the time of sign-up who you're getting or what you're going to be gifting, but it's not unreasonable to put twenty-ish dollars aside for the event right at the off.

>How do you assign Santas?
Utilizing super-secret scientific method and a crack team of Elves we assemble the Santa Master List™ at a classified military installation fourteen fathoms down in the general vicinity of the Marianas Trench.

It's all done in one completely random shot. I don't tamper with it in any way, though I do take some requests into consideration in setting the names in the box up (For example if there are enough Santa's we may do regional draws... depends on the numbers. If you have a real problem with postage let me know and I may be able to tweak this a bit).

>What do I do when I send/receive my gift?
A few suggestions for sending the gift:

* Include your name (forum name) so people have some idea of who is sending them this wondrous bounty! It really shouldn't be all that hard to just write your handle on a piece of paper and throw it in.
* Consider using Delivery Confirmation/Tracking so you can track your package and make sure it gets there.
* Check in with your recipient via PM a few days after sending to confirm receipt if you don't hear anything.

Also, some guidelines for receiving the gift:
* Let your Santa know it arrived! One 1ess thing they have to worry about.
* VERY VERY IMPORTANT: Post in the thread that the package arrived, and show off what you got!
* Take some damn pictures! Your Santa probably worked very hard on the gift, and we're all dying to see what's being exchanged.

One last final point: While lurkers are welcome to participate, I reserve the right to use absolute discretion in ruling people out of participation. If you have absolutely zero posts or a bare minimum number and you register on the boards to try and take part in this, I probably won't let you participate. Past events have shown that these users have been the most likely to vanish off the board never to be seen again, or otherwise skip on their end of participation.

And if you DO try to mess around with the system, Santa will have your address (and a crew of trained killer reindeer).

santasig.jpg
ceres on

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Wow, it's that time again already?
    Time flies I guess.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Hold up. I haven't even gotten my Halloween costume started and Christmas is trying to dive in here? Did you kill Thanksgiving and Boxing Day too?

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Ah, so this again. So be it.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    @stever777
    stever777 wrote: »
    DAMN IT!!!
    Missed it again??!!!

"CF SANTA"
    Could you @ me up next year, if you remember.
    2 years missed in a row is making me a saaad Santa...

Also, thanks to ElderCat (and everybody else who contributed to assembling the chains) for assembling the final chain in the last thread, I'ma send up the @ signal here before too many more people post here.
    ElderCat wrote: »

And may as well send it up for anyone not already @ signaled above who participated in 2015, since CF Santa was kind enough to leave that in an easily quotable post for us...
    CF SANTA wrote: »
    HO HO HO
    I have gotten a few messages so far. Keep 'em coming!

Here's an @ for all the people that participated last year:

@Kirindal @Halos Nach Tariff @Zombie Hero @Bursar @Hedgethorn @Gabriel_Pitt @ElderCat @Koreg @D0rkAngl @Dayspring @ArcticLancer @Nullzone @Delduwath @Denada @mere_immortal @see317 @Khade97 @MNC Dover @TimFiji @ArcSyn @Gizzy @J @valhalla130 @webguy20 @Grunt's Ghosts @Iron Weasel @Rend @The Brayster @crimsoncoyote

Feel free to throw up a message in various CF threads that SANTA IS BACK and NONDENOMINATIONAL WINTER HOLIDAYS are saved. (I don't want to spam them and I cannot possibly cover them all)
    HO HO HO

And, as CF Santa said, feel free to spread the news through threads near and far that he's back in town.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Oh man! My favorite Secret Santa on the boards! I can't wait to see what joy we can spread this year.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Oh, whaaaaaaat, hell yes I'm in.

Thank you for the @, @see317!

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    C'mon, people, it's still August. You're worse than Old Navy putting up decorations on Labor Day.

...I'm in.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    Yes.

Yes I suppose it is time.

...Good.

• The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    I sadly didn't get to take part last year due to budget, which is a shame as this has always been a good time! Definitely up for it this year!

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    It has begun! Thanks for the @ :)
    I'll check finances and see, but I want a play if possible

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    This feels early, but yeah - I'm in.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Holy moly, seriously? It can't be this late into the year. Thanks for the @ see317!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I'm in this year. I have plenty of time to get things for a gift, so no excuses!

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Ooooh

I'll have to see what I can do this year :D

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm in, PM sent! Odd question, but I'd love to get in all of the Secret Santa stuff around the forums. I know about this one and the G&T thread, but are there any others?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    When is the signup deadline? Money has been tight the last few months so I don't want to commit until I know I can make it happen.

I'm bad at reading, was looking under the "how to sign up" header

Nullzone on
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I'm in, PM sent! Odd question, but I'd love to get in all of the Secret Santa stuff around the forums. I know about this one and the G&T thread, but are there any others?

SE has their Secret Satan.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    ArcSyn wrote: »

SE also has their Secret Saints.
    D&D also does a Secret Santa and card exchange kind of thing.
    Graphic violence used to do a Secret Superhero, but I think they skipped it last year. Posting has kind of slowed down there with the MC and DC universes having TV shows and movies that get talked about in other forums. Maybe it's time for a triumphant return?
    The Artist Corner typically does some kind of art exchange.
    Pretty sure the PAX forums have a gift exchange as well but I can't seem to find 2016s.
    The Pinny Arcade forums have one as well, again didn't see a 2016 thread in my searching.

Pretty much the only forum that doesn't is H/A. And that's kind of understandable, as most of the posts there could lead to some awkward gifting.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Why can't I access my Forge World wish list from my phone?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    see317 wrote: »

Graphic violence used to do a Secret Superhero, but I think they skipped it last year. Posting has kind of slowed down there with the MC and DC universes having TV shows and movies that get talked about in other forums. Maybe it's time for a triumphant return?
    Pretty sure the PAX forums have a gift exchange as well but I can't seem to find 2016s.
    The Pinny Arcade forums have one as well, again didn't see a 2016 thread in my searching.

Pretty much the only forum that doesn't is H/A. And that's kind of understandable, as most of the posts there could lead to some awkward gifting.

Oh, and G&T Steam thread has their own during the steam sale that just kinda happens, whether you want it to or not, if you dare post a single post in the thread.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    see317 wrote: »

Oh, and G&T Steam thread has their own during the steam sale that just kinda happens, whether you want it to or not, if you dare post a single post in the thread.

From what I've seen Steam thread gifting knows no season. It simply is.

• ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Eehhhhhhhhhhh sure.

DO3O00C.png
  • MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    I'll be doing it!!

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Ugh bad news.
    I'm INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
      I'm in. Maybe I should give someone my Tau army this year. XD

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
      Signup PM officially sent. If you get me as your Santee and feel lost, feel free to bug my friend Acidlacedpenguin. He's been known to help people out in the past. ^_^

• GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
      PM go!

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
      PM sent. I debated on doing it this year as I have no idea what I want but the people here have surprised me before.

• CF SANTACF SANTA Registered User regular
      HO HO HO

One week left!

HO HO HO

santasig.jpg
    • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
      Oof, I love doing SS but I've barely had time to be online this year. Will have a think, don't want to have someone having to guess at what to get.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
      But you were so damn fun to Santa for last year. <3
      (Though I got you in G&T, didn't I?)

I have sent my PM, and so am officially in.

HO HO HO

Last day to join!

About
      efyeyr6i4afv.png
      left for signups.

HO HO HO

santasig.jpg
      Signup sent. I'm in.

Now for my annual tradition where I say "I'm going to try to keep to a budget and not go overboard this year. I'll treat my santee right, but I don't want to spend January eating off brand cup o' noodles".

And start the 30 second count down to my second annual tradition where I say "Bu-jit? What's that?"

Just send them $50 worth of taffy.

Also send ME $50 worth of taffy.

• ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
      That Taffy is no joke. Super awesome part of being a see317 Santee.

DO3O00C.png
    • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
      Hopefully I got in under the line; I'm in a place to do this right this year, I think!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

HO HO HO

Signups are closed!

Assignments will be sent out on SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY.

HO HO HO

santasig.jpg