As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

HELLDIVERS: Dive Me to Hell.

2»

• DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    good lord the Retaliatory Strike missions (the arena ones) are really difficult! Especially for 2 person squads. Anyone got any tips for them?

Barbed wire, napalm, stun fields, or slowing mines make life a lot easier

Turrets and mechs are super helpful but become even more useful if someone has a REP-80. The Tesla Tower is a very good turret for Strikes, since you can toss it in the middle and not worry about the friendly fire

Don't just hole up in a corner. Enemies will spawn on top of you, so be prepared to book it. Have an exit route.

Have a dedicated anti-armor option. The Recoiless Rifle is really good, since good communication and regular ammo drops means it won't really run out of ammo. The upgraded Railgun has homing capabilities and a 60 second cooldown, so you can toss it offscreen and it'll generally hit what you want.

If you're downed, input the Reinforce command. When you die, you'll drop the beacon, letting people respawn. If there's a bunch of enemies swarming your position, have one person call in an airstrike on top of you, and another tap in the Reinforce command, but don't throw it. When the airstrike wipes the area, you'll die but the beacon will bring you back.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Arena missions are just awful and shouldn't be in the game.

Maybe if the map was bigger or more interesting, but it's just a cramped space and if you fail you get nothing for it. Shit, there aren't even any samples it's horible.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    The games mechanics just kinda don't work for them at all because most of your effective tools require space, time and a lot of running away like a coward.

For harder missions I reckon there'd probably be more fun in something like having a constant alarm or whatever.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    ive done a few and its bullshit when 3 cyborg tanks drop in. no room to move at all

illuminate is partially doable, if only because their tank units have a smaller footprint

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    The games mechanics just kinda don't work for them at all because most of your effective tools require space, time and a lot of running away like a coward.

For harder missions I reckon there'd probably be more fun in something like having a constant alarm or whatever.

Okay wait let's back up

There's a way to play where you're not constantly triggering alarms?????

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    UAV is your friend

YL9WnCY.png

Okay wait let's back up

There's a way to play where you're not constantly triggering alarms?????

recon by fire with a sickle and quicker scanner assessment. you should be able to figure out where the patrols are in relation to you and have the scanner closed inside a half second, ready to fire.

the sickle is the energy carbine, and as long as you just used 3shot trigger discipline and a 3degree sweep it never runs out of ammo/overheats and kills most patrols off screen.

i usually have an accuracy rating in the 40-20% range but who cares, no ammo spent.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Arena missions are just awful and shouldn't be in the game.

Maybe if the map was bigger or more interesting, but it's just a cramped space and if you fail you get nothing for it. Shit, there aren't even any samples it's horible.

I think I would like them a lot more if they were larger and had defined defense areas where enemies couldn't spawn

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Mechs are the only way to survive

Mechs are the best way to die. Need movement speed at higher difficulties.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Moriveth on Steam?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Mechs with a rep beam can be pretty good vs cyborgs honestly. Even then though ehhh, just bring more useful strategems that cant' be destroyed.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The DLC mech is my favorite thing in the game and its not close

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @Moriveth on Steam?

Yup, on Steam!

hey, do we have a helldiver PA group? or a list of some sort somewhere?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular

Which one because they're both pretty rad

The one with the flamethrower and rocket launcher

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    The boyfriend and I have been trying to unlock as much stuff as we can be we keep running into the arena missions and we just can't manage to 2-man them :(

We just did a level 9 with only the two of us, though! That was pretty hectic!

If anyone wants to join us sometime add me on steam (same name)

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular

The one with the flamethrower and rocket launcher

One downside to that thing is the low ammo count, which is fixed by upgrades, which yes, makes it the best mech.

I found the flamer ammo still too low even with upgrades, at least compared to the base mech (which I love)

edited December 2015
    well, just got my las-98 cannon. had to do a level 7 illuminate mission and fuck those guys. it was especially hard when I was trying to cat herd some pubs as well. but a couple summary executions and they started following me when i told them to fucking move [direction].
    "Yes, I executed them with my pistol because that's the intent. I went out of my way to equip my pistol and shoot you in the head. It wasn't 'accidental' lascarbine fire. it was a slug to you brainplate. The rest of you fucking move left NOW!"

Its amazing how quickly they learned that supply drops should only be done at objectives...

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    well, just got my las-98 cannon. had to do a level 7 illuminate mission and fuck those guys. it was especially hard when I was trying to cat herd some pubs as well. but a couple summary executions and they started following me when i told them to fucking move [direction].
    "Yes, I executed them with my pistol because that's the intent. I went out of my way to equip my pistol and shoot you in the head. It wasn't 'accidental' lascarbine fire. it was a slug to you brainplate. The rest of you fucking move left NOW!"

Its amazing how quickly they learned that supply drops should only be done at objectives...

I'm very glad I've never played with you

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    It's real hard for me to get used to the fact that 1) you have to push a button to reload, it does not happen automatically, and 2) when you reload you lose all the ammo in your clip.

edited December 2015

im much more lenient with PA'ers, you lot tend to listen.
    Its the general pubs I've started to put the screws to. In level 4 and 5 missions not so much, many are still 'learning' and you actually can fight your way through it all to a breather.
    but in 7+ missions, you need to have your shit together or everyone will have a bad time because there is so much shit coming at you there is never a breather.

but yes, PA'ers I don't really care because you guys are generally above the chaff :P

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png

im much more lenient with PA'ers, you lot tend to listen.
    Its the general pubs I've started to put the screws to. In level 4 and 5 missions not so much, many are still 'learning' and you actually can fight your way through it all to a breather.
    but in 7+ missions, you need to have your shit together or everyone will have a bad time because there is so much shit coming at you there is never a breather.

but yes, PA'ers I don't really care because you guys are generally above the chaff :P

If someone killed me on purpose because I didn't do what they said and then called reinforcements, I would gun them down immediately and repeat until they left the session or the mission ended

That's unacceptable behavior

Eh, don't FF pubs dude. It's not cool.

Honestly with the way the camera works in the game I've just not played with pubs at all. Gets too frustrating. Also I can never find a laser cannon planet that's not got a level 9 retaliatory strike sitting on it to mock me. So phooey.

Moriveth wrote: »
    It's real hard for me to get used to the fact that 1) you have to push a button to reload, it does not happen automatically, and 2) when you reload you lose all the ammo in your clip.

I'm playing this and nuclear throne simultaneously and they're close enough in control that the differences screw me up constantly

Yeah so far I think my only complaints about this game are: Retaliatory Strikes are dumb (at least make the maps bigger and add samples), a bit more customisation for some weapons would be cool, and the camera feels way too restrictive if you're trying to use complex defensive tactics.

The camera feels much too restrictive yeah

edited December 2015
    I should have some free time around 9 PM PST tonight, if people wanna helldive!

Edit: Actually more than likely I'm gonna go to bed super early, but this statement stands for most evenings when I'm not.

Moriveth on
  • BlainBlain Registered User regular
    I love how some of the posts in this thread basically amount to:

YOU'RE A LOOSE CANNON, @NotoriusBEN ! :)

Ahem...

I was gifted this just before the Steam sale, but only started playing this weekend. I don't want to get too far ahead of the person who gifted me before we start playing. (I might anyway and just reset my progress. :P )
    • DLC was not optional for me. No fully upgraded UAV = slow upgrades and too many patrols.
    • Switching the map control to hold instead of toggle is life. I'm waffling on switching prone to hold as well.
    • The players took out the bug enemies, so I'm not allowed to fight bugs? Booo!
    • The Illuminate should be taken out by now so nothing but cyborgs this week?
    • I played this a little on the PS3 when it first came out. Cyborg dogs are new to me and nothing to goose with. I like the camper rifle for picking the summoner out of patrols, but it's shottie all the way if there are dogs about.

The war will reset when all enemies have been defeated. Now that the bugs are gone, if people want to fight bugs, they need to help end the other two warfronts asap.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    50 deaths on one mission?

Sounds about right.

777B259882AF4DC3400107107788AEAF2AC4C712

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Helldivers will be one of the free PS+ games on ps4 in February!

• nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Helldivers will be one of the free PS+ games on ps4 in February!

I was so close to buying this yesterday. I'm glad I waited, because this game looks so cool.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I've just started playing this, or more so attempting to play. I can't finish missions before I get booted (solo play). Is this a common occurrence?

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I got booted just now. Network issues?

I'd just reached level 3. I was happily bumbling around as a solo when all of a sudden three other chaps dropped in and called down mechs. I spent the next five minutes prone to avoid being friendly fired.

I managed to avoid killing any team mates myself, and defused the bombs and called down the extraction vessel while the other guys were being all rooty tooty point & shooty. Teamwork!

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    This game is having a free weekend if anyone wants to play on PC - I'm gonna go ahead and give it a download