As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassin's Creed: Origins - out now!

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I kind of hope they never fix the hilarious flying boat type glitches.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-idSP5Ztaw
    Clueless Gamer: "just throw anyone in there, whatever"

6F32U1X.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I generally like Conan
    In fact I like Conan a lot!
    But the Clueless Gamer bits are like anti-comedy to me

• suprachromatsuprachromat Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    This game packs an incredible amount of detail and the world so far feels huge, I am utterly entranced just by Siwa and the surroundings atm. Also really loving Senu. Her ability to act as a scout works really well with the huge world.

Protip: if you're mounted and you hold the button to follow the road, you can then switch seamlessly to Senu, and she'll fly above Bayek while he's mounted. The mount will automatically follow the road until it reaches a crossroad. Perfect for taking in the sights and planning where to go next while moving forwards.

suprachromat on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    IGN you made a 20 second video preceded by a 30 second ad to tell me that

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    IGN you made a 20 second video preceded by a 30 second ad to tell me that
    And you watched it, so it worked.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    R2 + triangle on PS4, when in one of the menus

I'm reading about it while I'm stuck at work, sorry @Grey Ghost

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Next time you hear some stranger giving Assassin's Creed guff for its ahistorically silly weaponry, hit 'em with this bad boy

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Had an odd thing happen to me at the first hunting oasis where everything just immediately died as I showed up. This is not a joke-herons were literally dropping out of the sky. I couldn’t even loot any of it.

But then I road my camel a little bit away and came back and everything was fine.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    That means you should paint goats blood on your door and seal your house against locusts

Also that cleaver is some 40k shit right there

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    So got to the first modern bit
    double whammy of the present day character being a lady and having a suitcase animus directly jacked into a mummy is extremely rad it is a real shame she can't climb anything though because I can see two pages, they are right there and c'mon.

Thusfar I like this a lot, getting a better feel for the combat but yeah, it's hitting a lot of boxes for me. Like By'eck as well, he's a decent dude so far, if very angry about things. (with decent reason to be to be fair).

The game is also gorgeous, I got overtaken by a sandstorm earlier and it was amazing.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Viewing the world through the eagle is tougher than I expected, but they really did a lot of nice little touches for the flight animations.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I am shit at the combat half the time, but I like being stealthy better anyway so it only encourages me to be sneakier. I really like the sniper bows, although I got an epic rapid fire bow that was awesome. I didn't realize the bows varied that much and the first time I used it I just nicked someone with a headshot and then panicked and emptied the clip into them. Great. I kind of like and don't like the Destiny style weapon loot, probably more like. I got a yellow weapon and shield drop at 12 and DAAAMN. A staff that poisons people on attack and a shield that puts people to sleep when blocked. If only they weren't so expensive to upgrade at the blacksmith...

No real glitches so far. I couldn't figure out how to carry people and thought it was a bug, but eventually realized they had to be dead. Sorry dudes! Love Senu. Interesting change to "eagle vision". World is gorgeous of course (and rewards exploration). Underwater stuff is great. the selfie cam is pretty good, oddly enough? Really, really happy with the purchase. Can't really decide if I should burn through more of the story and come back to side quests or take my time with side quests first.

I hate the Real money store aspect, but damn if I'm not tempted to ride a unicorn.

soylenth on
  • I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Okay, about two hours in, just finished what I guess you'd call the tutorial.

This might be the first AC game where I wish it held my hand a bit more because Jesus there's so much that's already confusing me and isn't explained well. It's not the the interface or controls are bad; it's just that they're so unlike any previous AC that I really do feel like I'm playing a different game. The most confusing part is there's been like three points already where I just assumed I'm supposed to be, you know, assassinating someone at this point and nope, just fight these guys. A lot of the staples of the game (sync points, drop attacks) I sort of discovered how to do accidentally because the game didn't actually offer to show me that this time around. It seems like corner cover and ledge takedowns don't exist in this game.

Maybe it's a sharp learning curve or maybe I'm just dumb but I feel very dropped into the deep end here and I know some people like that but I'm not sure if I do. I'm certainly not saying it's bad, it's just... very much not what I expected already.

The game, however, is, yes, gorgeous. I have already turned off the selfie cam thing though because sweet merciful heaven I don't need more icons on my map already.

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
    edited October 2017
    I did a ledge kill last night, but the highlight for it was extremely narrow. Corner kills where you stab and hide the body, I'm not sure exist yet, yeah. Also, this is one of those stories with a long build-up. It's confusing at first, but they go back and fill in some gaps. But I'm not sure if more clarity is coming later as the story builds or I'm just meant to figure stuff out on my own.

I agree that they really just throw you in the deep end with a lot of stuff. I'm still getting my reflexes attuned to the new combat.I keep hitting square when I should be hitting R1. Even stealth I have to be careful with. I died a LOT trying to sneak around and finish that big main temple in the starting area. I kind of skipped some sidequests and kept moving with story because I think a lot of the stealth aspects are better with hidden blade. It's awkward to knock people out and then kill them just so you can hide the body. Hidden blade is a lot better. Even so, there were quite a few deaths trying to take out a fort in Alexandria too. Gotta be sure you mark everyone with senu if you can!

edit: I'm not sure how combat's going to feel with more abilities unlocked, but for now it seems best to stealth kill anyone who's not a normal mook, and even then, easiest to just snipe or backstab them too.

soylenth on
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    This is some good AssCreed, Bros

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    This game is cool

You can swap the control scheme to use square and triangle for light and heavy attack
    Lord knows I did that immediately

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    So I guess I just finished the first section/chapter of the game (5-6 hours in).

Something funny that happened.
    So I have two quests left in Siwa. I start the Temple of Amun quest and after freeing the priests, I try to find the three lost treasures in the area. Took me about 30 minutes, and I ended up killing every hostile in the temple/camp.

Finally finish that up and I start tracking the “take down IBIS” quest, but all I get is a “confirm your kill” prompt. I am massively confused but I go and follow the prompts.

I killed IBIS and didn’t even know it!

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    is there any way I can totally turn off everyone else's photos showing up on the map

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Next time you hear some stranger giving Assassin's Creed guff for its ahistorically silly weaponry, hit 'em with this bad boy

i've seen this. i think it's in Prague Castle

a lot of the weapons there are fake, i'm pretty sure

but there's enough actual gunswords and weird ornate halberds in europe that it could easily be real

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    You can swap the control scheme to use square and triangle for light and heavy attack
    Lord knows I did that immediately

This is helpful, thank you.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying this game, but I need to bring up something that is bugging me, and other games do it too, so it isn't unique to this Assassin's creed, but I think the mix of yellows and bright colors is what's messing with me about it, but please let me change the target dot and other colors in game. I'm having a hard time seeing the white reticule in game because of how bright everything is, with bright yellows and light colors making it blend in. If I could change it to a cooler color, like a blue, I think this would be fine. But the game doesn't let me do that so I'm having trouble aiming in daylight sections, as well as seeing some of the stuff on the world map as most of it is white as well.

Short hair with a beard is a good look

Has anyone else encountered a problem talking to the blacksmith in Siwa
    I've just stopped getting a prompt to interact with him

I don't know if the game tells you this, but if you are flying around as Senu, and you see a fast travel point, you can warp right from Senu, without going into your map menu

This game is buggy as shit
    Any time I load there's a decent chance it's going to either crash to desktop or get hung up loading forever

Is there a sparring area or somewhere where I can practice fighting?
    I'm still very early level where it feels like getting into a fight is just a elongated way of dying, but muscle memory isn't helping me (I keep dodging instead of attacking, etc.)

The modern day emails would like to remind you that the movie was canon, and also that Watch Dogs still definitely takes place in this universe

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    What platform are you on Ghost?

I'm playing on normal, and I don't think I've died once in combat

I made it to Alexandria last night. I sort of miss the crowds from Unity, but the city itself is gorgeous

I’m still getting my bearings. For some reason the game world was a lot more discombobulating for me at first-I’ll chalk it up to not understanding the landmark icons and not knowing who I was supposed to talk with.

Question: Anyone figure out the deal with the family necropolis? After the mention of how it has fallen into disrepair, I light all the torches, clean away all the cobwebs...nothing. Then it reverts to mess. I’m guessing there’s a separate story thing here later that will resolve restoring it...

I've only died once, but that's because when more than two people are attacking me at once, I run the fuck away because I know I can't handle it.
    I'm hoping that goes away.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I'm just getting ready to leave Siwa. The controls are just off enough, even the alternative control scheme (that I switched to immediately), to make it weird going straight from Syndicate to this. Also died a couple of times. Ancient Greek soldiers were really bad at ninja attacking one at a time, they just rush in.

Also saw a camel have a Wile E. Coyote moment. Just walking around mid-air over the lake until he suddenly remembered about gravity.

euj90n71sojo.png
    I haven't found that the combat is much harder, but I've been replaying Witcher 3 so I'm still more attentive to when I need to dodge anyway

Just killed the First Main Guy You Have To Kill (I think that was his name):
    I couldn't find any way to get the drop on him (which is how I always prefer to do my assassinations), but it was slightly hilarious that Bayek gets his hands on an Apple right at the start of the game, and just uses it as a bludgeon.
    I almost hope it never gets used for anything else in the whole game.

Funny question...I don’t know if anyone else in this thread has ridden a camel before but...does their walking animation seem un-camel like to anybody?

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I've died quite a lot but I am playing on hard. I just keep getting caught out by the big captains that do shield breaker attacks as their attack animation lets them cover a huge amount of ground.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    I've died quite a lot but I am playing on hard. I just keep getting caught out by the big captains that do shield breaker attacks as their attack animation lets them cover a huge amount of ground.

I'm enjoying the game a lot, but I am having a hard time adjusting to the combat. The movement is in a weird space between tanky and evasive that I am just not used to, especially when facing enemies that have long reach and staggering attacks.

This discussion has been closed.