As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Link's Awakening DX! Part 19: It's Over!

TerrendosTerrendos Decorative MonocleRegistered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
Hello, everyone! As I'm sure you've guessed by now, my name's Terrendos. Of the dozens of popular game franchises, my personal favorite has always been Zelda. It has adventure, action, drama, all the things that make a video game great. My first foray into the Zelda universe came with Ocarina of Time (I'm young, I know.) I got it in fifth grade, but as it was also one of my first games, I did not do terribly well. I got stuck in the Dodongo's Cavern, I believe.

A year later, I saw a game for sale called "The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX." The game reminded me of the brief fun I had found in Ocarina of Time before getting stuck, and so I purchased it. Three months later, I managed to complete it. That small victory drove me to pick up once more Ocarina of Time and play it to completion, though it took me nearly a year (bloody Water Temple.) Since then I have loved the series, purchasing every new game in the franchise and every remake I could find.

And so, after seeing the excellent Let's Play of Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, and 3, and after reading through the spectacular Let's Play of Knights of the Old Republic 2 on the SomethingAwful Forums, I decided to do my own tribute to the game that began my love of the Zelda series. When I finish Link's Awakening DX, I suspect that I will record a playthrough of Ocarina of Time as well, but I'm not sure. No promises. Also, I asked mod permission to host this thread. I would suggest that you do the same if it is your intention to do a Let's Play of your own.

Here we go!

g0036221c82.jpg

Part One: Yes, I Know I'm a Mumbler

Part Two: BowWow Really Could Have Put up a Better Fight Against Those Moblins

Part Three: Richard is a Gigantic Pansy

Part Four: You Got the Ocarina! ...Oops, wrong game.

Part Five: Marin is Crazy

Part Six: I Would Have Called Them "Secret Metals" or Something

Part Seven: The Director's Cut?

Part Eight: Link Visits the GAP for Some New Threads

Part Nine: Obligatory Item Collection Video! Link Goes E-Z-Mode! And yes, the sound in the second half is off. I'm sorry.

Part Nine Dailymotion Mirror Part 1.Part 2.Part 3.

Part Ten: The Slightly More Powerful Bracelet is Still a Bracelet

Part Eleven: Link Visits a Rave. Dailymotion Mirror.

Part Twelve: Hmm... Fried Chicken.... Dailymotion Mirror.

Part Thirteen: Link begins the infamous Tower of the Eagles.Dailymotion Mirror.Part Two.

Part 14: I really could have finished Eagle's Tower in the last video. Mirror.

Part 15-1: The Item in This Dungeon Rocks. Part 2: Link Gets Lost. Dailymotion Mirror. Part 2.

Part 16-1: Link is found. Part 2. Dailymotion Mirror. Part 2.

Part 17: Terrendos is out of Zelda Music. Dailymotion Mirror.

Part 18: "This is not the end. This is not the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Dailymotion Mirror. Part 2.

Part 19: I wouldn't call Link photogenic. Dailymotion Mirror.

This isn't a game that lends itself to an interactive Let's Play, I know, but there will be a couple of junctures where I'll ask you guys an opinion, and this will affect how I ultimately play the game. Hope you guys enjoy!

If you have any requests for stuff I should do, let me know. I intend to try and get everything in the game that I can get except the picture of Link stealing. And if you'd like me to give you a shout out, let me know.

Terrendos on

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    SUCH A GREAT GAME

Shogun on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh man... This was one of my favorite games of all time, till it recently got bumped. But it's still a great game. I'll have to take a look at the LP later, however, since I'm at work.

urahonky on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I haven't played this game.

JJ on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    :^: This is the best Zelda game.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man this game was awesome, was my very first Zelda game I ever played. I was such a fool for letting a friend borrow it and eventually getting it lost D:.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This was my first Zelda game and still my absolute favourite. Gotta love the Tal Tal mountains music.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Awesome! I love this game. Can't wait to see the ending again.

edit - Watching the first video now, is it just me or is the audio out of sync with the video?

edit 2 - Nevermind, it seems fine now.

bruin on
  • ButterBeanButterBean Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What is the likelyhood that they might rerelease this via VC or a remake a la the FF series?

ButterBean on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Awesome! I love this game. Can't wait to see the ending again.

edit - Watching the first video now, is it just me or is the audio out of sync with the video?

edit 2 - Nevermind, it seems fine now.

Don't be surprised if the audio is a little off. I tried three times to get the audio and video to sync properly before I finally recorded them separately. Unfortunately, the video was still substantially longer, to the extent that if both were in sync at the beginning, there'd be a minute or two of silence at the end of the video. To fix it, I sped up the video a little bit. The audio should seem a little off in the beginning and at the end, but that's the best I could do.

Terrendos on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just a little bit of advice, you may want to also put the videos up on something like Vimeo. There's a reason everybody stopped using google in the DKC thread and why pretty much everyone in the megaman thread is using dailymotion. Google has a nasty habit of making newer videos disappear for no reason. Older stuff is fine but stuff within the last month or so is really hit or miss.

Also I've only watched the first video but are you going to try for as many pictures as possible? I know some are missable so that can be a little annoying.

Gilder on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Getting into that Secret dungeon was so annoying, I remember spending hours trying to figure it out on my own...

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    edited December 2007
    Gilder wrote: »
    Just a little bit of advice, you may want to also put the videos up on something like Vimeo. There's a reason everybody stopped using google in the DKC thread and why pretty much everyone in the megaman thread is using dailymotion. Google has a nasty habit of making newer videos disappear for no reason. Older stuff is fine but stuff within the last month or so is really hit or miss.

Also I've only watched the first video but are you going to try for as many pictures as possible? I know some are missable so that can be a little annoying.

Thanks for the tip about Vimeo; I've been looking for someplace else to host unsuccessfully. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have to compress the videos a bunch to get them on there, considering that they're all well over the weekly storage limit.

And yes, I intend to get every picture but the one that requires you to steal. I'll probably get that one (so I can show people stealing too) and show the picture, but I'll reset it because I don't want to be named THIEF for the remainder of the game.

Terrendos on
    edited December 2007
    Currently enjoying part 2

But it's moblins, not moeblins. Like goblins with an m!

bruin on
    edited December 2007
    Meh, I've pronounced it "Moeblins" since the Moblin Moe from Wind Waker. It's in honor of his memory, since I'm pretty sure that in my genocidal spree through the Forsaken Fortress (three times, no less,) that I *probably* killed him. Thus it is my intention to continue to honor his name in that way.

Actually, I've just always called them Moeblins. I never got the goblin connection. Meh, I still like Moeblins better anyway.

Terrendos on
    edited December 2007
    Ah, alright

These photo things are DX only, right? I've only played the original Gameboy version and I don't remember them. The art is crazy.

Also, I must say I also obsessively equip the feather like you

bruin on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    is the select cheat still in DX?

edit: and you can still lift and cut signs in this game, right? you keep doing the long way

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Holy fuck I played this just a week or two again.

Didn't quite finish, as Blaino was being an absolute bastard.

Elendil on
    edited December 2007
    Elendil wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I took him down in two hits last time I played. L-2 sword, Red tunic, spin attack... he's a sissy.

Terrendos on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I took him down in two hits last time I played. L-2 sword, Red tunic, spin attack... he's a sissy.
    I actually played the original, so no tunic. I couldn't get a hit in edgewise because the fucker was hopping around constantly. It's probable I've simply forgotten how to do it, as I've beaten LA a least 3-4 times before.

Elendil on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I only played the original Game Boy version of this, but boy did I play the hell out of it. I didn't manage to beat it for a while, but it was my first Zelda game that I did. Such a classic.

Aistan on
    edited December 2007
    Chapter 5 is now available!

Part Five: Marin is Crazy

Terrendos on
    edited December 2007
    Marin and Link together on the beach is almost too cute

bruin on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hmm, I ought to give this game a shot again sometime. I was awful at it the first time, for some reason. Had to use the Select cheat to get through, and I never even found all the damn seashells.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited December 2007
    I just finished Part 6 now, and I'll be uploading it to Google tonight. Just giving you guys a heads-up. Oh, and I fully intend to get 20 seashells and beat the color dungeon before level 6, so you can get a pretty good idea for where they are.

Terrendos on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, you should totally steal something. For the greater good.

Let us know when you're at the 7th dungeon.

Eagle's tower is a bitch.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited December 2007
    Part 6 is now up!

Also, I fully intend to steal the Bow and Arrows, though I'm going to reset afterwards. Otherwise, if I could go back into the shop on accident and then my perfect completion would be ruined.

As a matter of fact, when I played through Eagle's Tower last time, I was fine. It'll probably take me two episodes to finish though. Actually, the 8th dungeon always took me longer than the 7th.

Terrendos on
    edited December 2007
    So is this still going?

bruin on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ETA on part seven?

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    edited January 2008
    Hey guys, sorry I haven't been updating for a while. I've been having some massive problems with my computer recently. I have 7 recorded, but it's got absolutely no sound and I have to... you know... get it off my messed up computer. As it is now, it looks like I'll be needing to completely wipe my hard drive and reload everything.

So yeah... Part 7 coming as soon as possible.

Terrendos on
    edited January 2008
    Man, I thought this was totally dead

Sweet

bruin on
    edited January 2008
    My computer is fixed, and Part 7 is now up! Woohoo!

Terrendos on
    edited January 2008
    Yaaay
    Choose the piece of power

bruin on
  • JoanaGamerJoanaGamer __BANNED USERS new member
    edited January 2008
    Seems very interesting , will try it as soon as I can . Continue to send more tips will definitely help us.

JoanaGamer on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Piece of power! Also thank you very much for making this thread.

tyrannus on
    edited January 2008
    Well guys, I found the "video compression" button for this video, so it's a lot smaller than the other ones I've posted. Let me know if it's too low quality; I can crank it back up if requested.

Oh yeah, Part 8 released!

Terrendos on
    edited January 2008
    you have a nice calm voice. not all whine-ish like ohmsam in the DKC let's play.

tyrannus on
    edited January 2008
    Very cool, I'd never seen this dungeon before as I'd only played the original version of the game

bruin on
    edited January 2008
    It seemed really quick.

tyrannus on
    edited January 2008
    Part 9 is up!

...actually, it was up yesterday morning, but Google Video wasn't working and I didn't want to get your hopes up only to have them dashed against the rocks of the internet like so many Roman biremes.

EDIT: In the time it has taken me to post this, Google Video appears to have failed again. I'll work on a solution and hopefully have a mirror up later tonight.

Terrendos on
    edited January 2008
    I just put up a Dailymotion Mirror for Part 9.

Terrendos on