As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Unplugged Bottle Exchanges

VikingGoatVikingGoat FloridaRegistered User regular
Anyone up for an exchange circle at PAX Unplugged (Bottles 'o beer, pint glasses, brewery souvenirs in general)?

• Options
    skavooveeskavoovee Registered User new member
    Yes, I'd be down to join in on this!

• Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    Ooh, I might be down for this.

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    I'd love to do this.

• Options
    Mercyd1403Mercyd1403 Registered User regular
    This is an awesome idea.

• Options
    a_clever_witticisma_clever_witticism Registered User regular
    I'd so totally be down for this! I'm a pretty big beer nerd from Philly and would love to spread around some of the wonderful beer our area has to offer.

Not only would swapping beers be fun, but sharing some as well! It'd be great to get a PAX Unplugged bottleshare together at a nearby BYO or somewhere similar.

• Options
    PulsonicsPulsonics Registered User new member
    Coming in from San Diego with a couple friends. Totally down to share some of the SD goodness.

• Options
    NoedigNoedig BlindCleric on Twitch Registered User regular
    There's an awful lot of breweries here in Indiana, and some *really* good ones at that. I'd be happy to participate in an exchange.

• Options
    I'm asking how to go about making this a bit more of an official thing.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    VikingGoat wrote: »

Same here!

If we're doing a straight-up bottle exchange, with no drinking involved, I suggest we could post our ISO (in search of) and FT (for trade) lists right here in the thread (or make a new, "official" thread or Google Sheet). That way people are only lugging around bottles and glassware they know they're going to trade at the con.

If we're trying to have a bottle share, I think we need to get a time frame and head-count so we can scope out a BYOB we can gather at (or, if someone wants to host a bottle share at their hotel room, all the better).
    There are tons of great BYOB spots in China Town, just a few blocks away.

a_clever_witticism on
  • Options
    Does the east coast get a hold of Three Floyd's beer with any sort of relative ease? I don't know its reach, but it's more popular than drugs in the midwest.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Noedig wrote: »
    Does the east coast get a hold of Three Floyd's beer with any sort of relative ease? I don't know its reach, but it's more popular than drugs in the midwest.

Three Floyds is only available in five states: IN, IL, OH, WI and KY. They are always a great choice to bring to a bottle exchange outside of the midwest.

• Options
    Mercyd1403Mercyd1403 Registered User regular
    Have any of you guys heard of Apocalypse ale works? It's a great little brewery in Lynchburg Va.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    Three Floyds is only available in five states: IN, IL, OH, WI and KY. They are always a great choice to bring to a bottle exchange outside of the midwest.

Well hot damn! Guess I'm gonna be bringing some bottles/cans to Philly!

• Options

Same here!

If we're doing a straight-up bottle exchange, with no drinking involved, I suggest we could post our ISO (in search of) and FT (for trade) lists right here in the thread (or make a new, "official" thread or Google Sheet). That way people are only lugging around bottles and glassware they know they're going to trade at the con.

If we're trying to have a bottle share, I think we need to get a time frame and head-count so we can scope out a BYOB we can gather at (or, if someone wants to host a bottle share at their hotel room, all the better).
    There are tons of great BYOB spots in China Town, just a few blocks away.

I got a response once everyone was back from PAX Aus (seems to be from Reed Pop Customer Service) we'll have to meet up off site as there is no booze on premises.

• Options
    Even if all booze stays closed, it's not allowed? That stinks.

If we have to meet off-site for it, if we plan it for an hour that's not a common eating hour (say, 3 PM), we could try to meet at the back area of Reading Terminal right across the street. It won't be as busy off-hours, so near the tables all the way in the back might work, depending on how many people are going to be involved in this.

If it's too many people for that or we don't want to risk it being very crowded even though it's off-hours (which is entirely possible around there), then it gets a bit dicier. I wouldn't recommend outside because either bad weather could put a damper on things and while there's a covered area right outside of the convention, it's a normal hangout for the homeless and, well, smells pretty bad. I can't really think of anywhere else right there which is safe from weather AND friendly to people bringing even closed bottles of booze.

• Options
    SRee77SRee77 Registered User new member
    I may be interested in joining a bottle Exchange, or even growler since many breweries here aren't bottling yet. I'll be coming in from Leesburg, VA, but staying outside of Philly and taking the train in each day. If I can rent a locker either at the station or the convention center, I'll definitely bring some goodies!

• Options
    flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    I'd be down for this, any more updates on a time and place??? If not maybe a BYOB lunch/dinner at one of the places in Chinatown?

• Options
    Just to update: I've got about...2 dozen breweries within .5hrs of my porch. If there's a Midwest brew you want, I can prolly snag it easy. Standard, I'll bring a couple of 3Floyds bombers, at least 1 growler from Bier, prolly something nice from Sun King, if I feel frisky I'll throw down and see if I can get something juicy.

• Options
    drakuldragondrakuldragon Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    my BF might be interested in this...anyone in search of something from long island, ny?

b3dyisb2mkd7.png

DOTS RPG Project - Guild Master Jess | @dotsrpg

• Options
    ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    my BF might be interested in this...anyone in search of something from long island, ny?

Yay Strong Island :+1:

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Options
    So until we decide on a place, why don't we fill out some stuff so we can make it easier on each other:
    Here's a form.
    Here are the results

• Options
    We're at a "now or never" kind of place for this. It's only a couple of days till the con and people need time to get said bottles to exchange. If we don't have a place, then....the rest doesn't much matter :(

• Options
    I haven't had much luck with the places I've contacted so far. At this point it feels unlikely that we'll be able to arrange for a lunch/dinner hangout at a place that would be OK with an organized bottle exchange.
    The common response are that a location serves or doesn't allow outside beverages on site, or that we would need to reserve a party room for a fee or a minimum food order for the party.

• Options
    I haven't had much luck with the places I've contacted so far. At this point it feels unlikely that we'll be able to arrange for a lunch/dinner hangout at a place that would be OK with an organized bottle exchange.
    The common response are that a location serves or doesn't allow outside beverages on site, or that we would need to reserve a party room for a fee or a minimum food order for the party.

I think that all depends on how many people you have. My best suggestion is to conduct it at a BYOB (they're not going to hassle you for outside beverages, whether they're open or not). But if you have 6+ people, you'd likely need a reservation. I wouldn't even bother mentioning you're doing a bottle exchange -- as long as you're eating there, they're happy.

Nearby recommendation: Banana Leaf Malaysian Cuisine

Failing that, I'm still planning on grabbing a beer or three this weekend. Prohibition Taproom is one of my favorite spots -- just few blocks north.

• Options
    TheSaintBrianTheSaintBrian Registered User new member
    So good news...I was able to secure a small space through AirBnB (as has been previously mentioned, most places have been utter poo poo heads about hosting something like this). I believe we have limited space right now due to the size of the place, but Cluus and I have been putting the word out. If you're interested in attending, and would like to bring your beer, please feel free to RSVP and indicate as much here:

http://evite.me/jRVv8PZuZ8

• Options
    So good news...I was able to secure a small space through AirBnB (as has been previously mentioned, most places have been utter poo poo heads about hosting something like this). I believe we have limited space right now due to the size of the place, but Cluus and I have been putting the word out. If you're interested in attending, and would like to bring your beer, please feel free to RSVP and indicate as much here:

http://evite.me/jRVv8PZuZ8

HUZZAH!

Hilariously, I'll not be able to make it, I need to be at the airport about when it starts XD

• Options
    TheSaintBrianTheSaintBrian Registered User new member
    Greetings! I was able to procure some space for a beer tasting/bottle exchange. The Dran & Courtier Philadelphia will be open for one night only, 6:30 pm on Sunday, a five minute walk from the Convention Center.

I want to make sure that we actually have some people bringing some home brew with them. If you are interested, please let me know and I'll get you the details.

Also looking to defray some of the cost of this (I'm out of pocket at the moment), so if you feel moved to kick in $10-$20, I wouldn't say no ;)

You can email me at thesaint AT saintbriansbbq dot com

• Options
    Please take plenty of photos and such, so I can live vicariously through your experiences.

• Options
    Awesome, RSVP'd. Am picking up a 6'er of my fav local stuff tonight :)

• Options
    Just wanted to thank Brian again for hosting this awesome event. Can't wait for next year's :)

• Options
    Still riding the edge of a mostly blunted hangover. I'm gonna double my beer offering for next year I think.

• Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    Oh Man, I missed this. Add me to the list for notifications next year. I'm from Allentown (about an hour and a half north). We do beer. So many craft breweries within moments of me.