As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Discworld! (Terry Pratchett has passed away; world cries a collective "Buggrit.")

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    Well I don't honestly have to worry about more books coming out anymore, so just put every one of them in a collection and let me spend $300 to get it.
    Just go to Amazon and click on each thing once.
    Then keep the box they come in and stick Discworld pictures on the sides.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    If you order all of the books from the Discworld Emporium, the stickers will be on there already.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    I could totally see the six(?) Rincewind books packaged in a Luggage case, but not the whole series.
    Maybe just a box set that looked like the luggage? Could do it with all the series.
    Maybe the Death series in a case that looks like an hourglass (or maybe "Dangerous animals of XXXX: Vol.1)?
    The Watch could get their books in a case decorated to look like a holding cell...

Really, I'd just like to have a matched set of Discworld books as opposed to the hodgepodge or mass market paperbacks, trade paper backs, hard covers and book club omnibuses that I have now. And it would be preferable if I could get the lot of them at one time instead of going piecemeal.

Of course, the downside to actually getting that is that I'd (probably) have to get rid of said hodgepodge. Give it away? Sell them? Find a store with a "Take a book, leave a book" shelf and just leave it well stocked?

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I could totally see the six(?) Rincewind books packaged in a Luggage case, but not the whole series.
    Maybe just a box set that looked like the luggage? Could do it with all the series.
    Maybe the Death series in a case that looks like an hourglass (or maybe "Dangerous animals of XXXX: Vol.1)?
    The Watch could get their books in a case decorated to look like a holding cell...

Really, I'd just like to have a matched set of Discworld books as opposed to the hodgepodge or mass market paperbacks, trade paper backs, hard covers and book club omnibuses that I have now. And it would be preferable if I could get the lot of them at one time instead of going piecemeal.

Of course, the downside to actually getting that is that I'd (probably) have to get rid of said hodgepodge. Give it away? Sell them? Find a store with a "Take a book, leave a book" shelf and just leave it well stocked?

Use the old copies to build an annex to your apartment to house the new copies.

(My local library actually built a small fort for the kids' section out of old books.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Maybe find a homeless shelter or something and ask if they want any donations?

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017

If it were life-sized it could fit them all. Wouldn't even have to function like a bag of holding.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular

Well, how are your woodworking skills?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I've purchased and given away Small Gods at least six times. I also donated my collection to a library when my wife and I moved in together since she had a more complete collection.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Like klemming says there's no perfect fit so I don't think you'll ever see one, but if someone ever gives it a shot, I'd hope they do something like below but obviously use the Luggage as the case. But I can't imagine anyone being able to make a cost-effective version, there's just too much (and at the same time not nearly enough, it still hurts to read what he had planned for future books)
    r9vdwhbr9def.png

...what did he have planned for future books?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Like klemming says there's no perfect fit so I don't think you'll ever see one, but if someone ever gives it a shot, I'd hope they do something like below but obviously use the Luggage as the case. But I can't imagine anyone being able to make a cost-effective version, there's just too much (and at the same time not nearly enough, it still hurts to read what he had planned for future books)
    r9vdwhbr9def.png

...what did he have planned for future books?

There were gonna be some, for one thing.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If you're going to talk about any details of his unfinished books, could you please do it in spoilers? I'm just speaking for myself, but I'd rather just never know any details about what will never be.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    If you're going to talk about any details of his unfinished books, could you please do it in spoilers? I'm just speaking for myself, but I'd rather just never know any details about what will never be.

I don't think there are really any. Like I know of the pitch for two books that I don't think ever went anywhere as they were both on talked about as potential books for like the last decade of Pratchett's career but never came together. So like I can give vague single sentence references at best.

DarkPrimus don't click:
    Raising Taxes was going to be a Moist book where he gets put in charge of modernizing the tax system. Scouting for Trolls was meant to focus on some sort of Boy Scout like thing being created in Anhk-Morpork.

Of course, the info in the spoiler is about as far as either of those will ever go thanks to Mr Steamroller:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-dorset-41093066

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    There were at least four more in planning stages, in addition to the two DA mentioned
    -A mystery story involving elderly people, looks like it would have drawn heavily from Pratchett's own experience with Alzehimer's.
    -Another novel set in XXXX, not clear if it was to be a Rincewind story
    -A Watch novel involving goblin crime
    -and the one that cut me the most as I absolutely loved the characters, another Maurice & rodents story

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    There were at least four more in planning stages, in addition to the two DA mentioned
    -A mystery story involving elderly people, looks like it would have drawn heavily from Pratchett's own experience with Alzehimer's.
    -Another novel set in XXXX, not clear if it was to be a Rincewind story
    -A Watch novel involving goblin crime
    -and the one that cut me the most as I absolutely loved the characters, another Maurice & rodents story
    Dear God, that first one would have been depressing.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I hadn't heard some of those other concepts.

The afterword of Shepherd's Crown mentions these:
    The old folks book would have been titled Twilight Canyons.
    There was a book about 'crystal cave's and 'carnivorous plants' that would have been titled The Dark Incontinent. This sounds like it was alluded to in Raising Steam when a bit mentions Rincewind, as professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography, was having students and assistants check out some dangerous 'Everglades'-type region near where railroad was being built. The idea of Rincewind having a staff that he could order into dangerous situations for him seems hilarious.

I'm sad again. But it's tinged with that strange kind of wistful happiness. But still sad.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I know that the later books are generally regarded as being weak, but I really enjoyed reading about the goblins. I'd tear up when reading Snuff.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I know that the later books are generally regarded as being weak, but I really enjoyed reading about the goblins. I'd tear up when reading Snuff.

As a father unfortunately separated by distance and ex-fiance chicanery from my son, I really REALLY yearn for the connection that Vimes shows with young Sam. My now 6 year old and I do have some iOS Facetime calls regularly and we play Hearthstone together, and it's all awesome. But 20-30 minutes 4 times a week just can't compare to the every day hours that I wish I had. The voices of the animals and I would pay money for a copy of Vimes's citified version of "Where's My Daddy". (I know "Where's My Cow" exists, but he's too old by now for me to make use of it).

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    My favorite is Rincewind's from Last Hero:

Morituri Nolumus Mori

Perfectly encapsulates the right attitude to have for a suicide mission.

"We who are about to die don't want to."

I’ve always been partial to Sodomy non sapiens.

“I’m buggered if I know.”
    Just finished Moving Pictures, which I thought was a bit of a dud by Pratchett standards. Reaper Man is shaping up to be really great though, and is a great read for the season!

Reaper Man is one of the best in the series

The parts with the wizards were kind of a slog for me, but everything Death related was fantastic.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

Morituri Nolumus Mori

My favorite one from that list that I didn't get at the time was probably:

Excretus Est Ex Altitudine - "Strongly reprimanded" (more or less)

For those not getting it:
    Shit on from a great height.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I finished Reaper Man today, and once again he has made me think about Life and Death in a way that I've never thought about them before, though I can't quite put my finger on how I'm thinking about them. The way he wrote about Death is somehow very comforting and off putting at the same time.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Morituri Nolumus Mori

Just finished Moving Pictures, which I thought was a bit of a dud by Pratchett standards. Reaper Man is shaping up to be really great though, and is a great read for the season!

The parts with the wizards were kind of a slog for me, but everything Death related was fantastic.

I really like the interplay between the wizards*. It doesn't advance the story much (and the whole city/shopping trolley thing is fairly tacked on) but there are some good one-liners.

*but that might be because I spend a lot of time in universities

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Morituri Nolumus Mori

I really like the interplay between the wizards*. It doesn't advance the story much (and the whole city/shopping trolley thing is fairly tacked on) but there are some good one-liners.

*but that might be because I spend a lot of time in universities

I dunno, I think the shopping trolleys make sense within the greater framework of the book - it's just the interludes with alternate Deaths leaking over. (Much like it leaks over into Death's half with the Death of Rats and Death of Humans.)

Malls are the death of cities, after all.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I've always been partial to the pseudo latin in Small Gods.
    "When you have their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow."

• Options
    Speaking of a phrase that isn't translated quite as literally as all that for reasons of politeness, the dwarven proverb:

Polite version - 'All trees are felled at ground level.'
    More Accurate version - 'When their hands are higher than your head, their groin is level with your teeth.'

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    The current [chat] thread reminded me of one of the more convoluted references:

1) The Assassin's Guild is basically a fancy public school
    2) In Tom Brown's Schooldays there's a character called Speedicut
    3) Speedicut used to be a lawnmower brand
    4) Another brand of lawnmower in the UK is Flymo
    5) And that's how we get to the bully in Pteppic's dorm room being called Fliemoe

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    btw if you are ever tempted to read Tom Brown's School Days take my advice: read the first half, which is excellent. Never, ever read the second half, which is much like what I imagine the second Matrix film would be like if there had ever been one.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Looks like the series based on the Watch is still kicking. Just praying the studio has a better casting director than Sky1. To be fair Hogfather was mostly OK but good grief... well you know what I mean so no sense reopening old wounds.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/terry-pratchetts-discworld-set-for-tv-adaptation-with-bbc-studios-narratavia-1202306774/

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Looks like the series based on the Watch is still kicking. Just praying the studio has a better casting director than Sky1. To be fair Hogfather was mostly OK but good grief... well you know what I mean so no sense reopening old wounds.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/terry-pratchetts-discworld-set-for-tv-adaptation-with-bbc-studios-narratavia-1202306774/

i think Hogfather could have been a lot better if the editing was just punchier, there's nothing worse than a scene that keeps going for far too long right after a joke. It's like an episode of Friends without the laugh track.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I think Hogfather is a fantastic movie adaptation.

• Options
    I'm a little reassured that the BBC are involved. I know that they're not perfect, but as long as they keep anyone who worked on Robin Hood well away from it, they could do well.

Do they actually know it's going to be crime-a-week episodes, or is that just speculation? Because I'd much rather see a mini-series with one overall story. Obviously there's everyday stuff, but an overall investigation (who tried to poison the Patrician, or whatever) would appeal more to me.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    This popped up on youtube (first time I've heard of this):

https://youtu.be/FJIaTBB72CM

Apparently they're making an adaption of "Troll Bridge", and it looks fantastic!

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    It's in the trailers thread too, but this is a good place for it. I hope it's good.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I had the same thing, had it popped up as a suggested video and then wondered if it was a really well done fan trailer since I hadn't heard about it here!

Love the style.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    http://theauthorhour.com/terry-pratchett/extras.php?autoplay=y

how is it that i have never heard this interview before?

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    It's in the trailers thread too, but this is a good place for it. I hope it's good.
    I crowd-funded this over 5 years ago. It's a project 15 years in the making.

They (the project lead & volunteers) have had a hell of a time getting to this point (the most recent trailer), I hope they reach the finishing line without losing their sanity.
    Recent delays have been due to the amount of compositing backlog and a re-casting for one of the characters.

• Options
    Reviving the thread for big news:

Watch series greenlit by BBC America

My current reaction is "please don't suck"

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

Starring James Corden as Vimes.

• Options

Names involved had previous involvement with The Musketeers, Das Boot, New Tricks, Luther, Silent Witness, Three Girls and Doctor Who.
    Not seeing Robin Hood mentioned anywhere in there is encouraging to me.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Bogart wrote: »

Starring James Corden as Vimes.

Can a mod infract themselves?

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options