As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed

-Tal-Tal Registered User regular
They made one with the pyramids

PNk1Ml4.png

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I like the one with the boats.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    There are boats in the one with the pyramids.

They are not permanent boats, though. They are until-crocodile boats. As I found out.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I really like the changes they’ve made in this game. Stealth, traversal, and combat all feel much better. The intro is kinda garbage, but everything after has been a ton of fun.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I like the steam punk one best of all.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Combat is taking some getting used to on hard but I do like this game. Combat will be easier once I get some of the stuff like smoke bombs.

Don't forget you can set your arrows on fire using your torch. Drop the torch and stick a loaded arrow in it.

Can do the same with braziers etc.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    I'm really glad they brought back the assassination tete-a-tetes, those are the best

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    It's too bad they stopped doing the thing where the animus breaks down in slomo when you assassinate a major target

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    this game seems good
    still need to get a few more modern day segments before I can judge that part though

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    this game seems good
    still need to get a few more modern day segments before I can judge that part though

Is it just me, or is the acting in the modern day stuff, uh, kinda bad?

Especially the audio logs. Some of the lines in there reek of "Ubisoft tries to be hip and with it."

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    I'm really glad they brought back the assassination tete-a-tetes, those are the best
    Just got the hidden blade, and take a look at the challenges/achievements as I take a break:
    There's an achievement for using the hidden blade to assassinate a hippo.
    It's probably too much to hope for a tete-a-tete cutscene when I do that, huh.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    oh jeez

the way bayek takes ziplines is something. jumped onto the one you're pointed at after jumping off the cliffside tower point and ow

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Just got the hidden blade, and take a look at the challenges/achievements as I take a break:

How far in does this happen by the way because this weird stealth knockout thing isn't doing it for me

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Assassinations spoilers
    Bayek gets the hidden blade in Alexandria, from his wife.

The scenes with Bayek and his target occur when you kill one of the Masked Ones

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

How far in does this happen by the way because this weird stealth knockout thing isn't doing it for me

Early, after the first area basically
    when you first meet up with Aya in Alexandria

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

Stop squirming on the ground so I can carry you into the tall grass already!

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    the animations are kinda horrendous and buggy

• Options
    It's very difficult to get used to the changes, but I think they're mostly good changes

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    If you really need to move writhing enemies, you can just use a light attack which will stop them moving.
    Then you can move them all you want.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I guess your assassination targets can get killed by the environment?

I'm just wandering around, exploring, and all of the sudden I'm yanked into a cutscene where I'm killing Medunamun. Cool cool.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    First impression is wow this game's framerate is not great

Second impression, why the hell do they start you with this godawful control scheme? At least they let you switch back to the good controls

You can pry parkour-on-R2 from my cold dead hands

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

Second impression, why the hell do they start you with this godawful control scheme? At least they let you switch back to the good controls

Dark Souls

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

Wait, this doesn't have parkour on R2?

• Options
    Maximum wrote: »

Dark Souls

Is this why the combat also feels slow and awful

• Options

Wait, this doesn't have parkour on R2?

Not to start with, default controls tie it to X, and your attack buttons to the shoulders, which is lunacy

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Is this where we talk about the movie with Fassbender?
    Cause I tried to watch it, but fell asleep.

• Options
    Coming to this from Unity and fresh off Syndicate, once you hit a major city, there's a very comforting feeling of returning to AC1 and 2 in the way you can now run across rooftops for ages, even crossing streets in a way that you just couldn't in those games (or even in Black Flag, although that was for different reasons).

I'm not sure how I feel about the initial progression.
    You're kinda railroaded through to Alexandria by having everything outside of Siwa and the second city (Semeth?) be way higher level, so it felt like you were leaving tons of stuff behind. But now I'm also way higher level, so I went back and I'm now just roaming the countryside solving crimes and killing bandits. I think I have two main quests back in Alexandria that I'm seven or eight levels higher than the rec.

I should probably go back and do those, just to get on with it.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Attacks on R1 and R2 do make it easy to trigger the adrenaline mode

I can't imagine hitting square and triangle at the same time or whatever the face buttons are for the other scheme

• Options
    edited October 2017
    This combat might be too terrible for me to continue with this much farther

The only reliable way I've been able to take out random soldiers on horseback has been to run up to a rooftop, wait for them to climb up and spam the shit out of the attack button as they're climbing up

Everything about how the camera feels during combat is bad bad bad, and boy howdy I sure do hate it when games have a lock-on option that just drops the lock-on for no fucking reason

Using the bow just feels so bad too, everything about combat seems way off

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Honestly, I just dodge and slash when it comes to horsemen. But I've had pretty good luck with a good long weapon as well. The pre-order scepter took care of around ten of them after I robbed a caravan.

Though I'm running around with a big hammer these days and it kinda just feels too slow for the amount of damage it does. I think I need to find a different alternative to my main sword.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I don’t know if I have a problem with it or not, but

it is hilariously easy to walk up and just kill the rider off a horse like nothing. Was not expecting that at all.

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    So I know there's mixed opinions on Assassin's Creed III. But I feel there was one thing that could unite us all in that game, something I've felt a lacking for since we moved to different eras and play types. And finally, we got it again, and it felt good. Comfortable. Like an old friend you pick up a conversation with as if it hadn't stopped years ago.

Good god, have I missed you, instant ninja horse.

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    David_T wrote: »
    Coming to this from Unity and fresh off Syndicate, once you hit a major city, there's a very comforting feeling of returning to AC1 and 2 in the way you can now run across rooftops for ages, even crossing streets in a way that you just couldn't in those games (or even in Black Flag, although that was for different reasons).

I'm not sure how I feel about the initial progression.
    You're kinda railroaded through to Alexandria by having everything outside of Siwa and the second city (Semeth?) be way higher level, so it felt like you were leaving tons of stuff behind. But now I'm also way higher level, so I went back and I'm now just roaming the countryside solving crimes and killing bandits. I think I have two main quests back in Alexandria that I'm seven or eight levels higher than the rec.

I should probably go back and do those, just to get on with it.

It took me a while to conclude this almost has to be deliberate on the designers' part.
    It seems their intent is to force you to have to backtrack to places you've already been. This is a step up from Syndicate, where they actually indicated the level of each part of the city and it made it more progressive like Mario worlds or something. And it's definitely a step up from ACII and III, where if you went ahead and cleared out one of the major cities when you were first there, you pretty much had little to no need to ever go back there for the rest of the game. I actually like how there's an icon on my map by the Pyramid showing it's meant for level 24 and I can just spend the next few hours of the game going "oh I'm coming back for you" in the back of my head.

The only part I found annoying was it didn't really register in a few failed area-clearing attempts to go "oh, huh, holy shit, I just realized I don't even have a hidden blade yet" and had to press forward to make sure I could at least have that taken care of

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I’m not playing, just watching Tal, but the way the narrative progresses is kind of baffling

• Options
    It's super weird that they've set a game in a place with as much history as this and they don't have any kind of database or codex

That's weird, right?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm a bit surprised there's no Shaun-like entries for all these landmarks and points of interest. It sort of makes sense given the (as of one section) modern parts, but still.

Maybe they were replaced wholesale by the Educational Tourism mode coming later?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    If that's the case I hope they still put that info into the combat mode

• Options
    It's super weird that they've set a game in a place with as much history as this and they don't have any kind of database or codex

That's weird, right?

I'm assuming it's because they're putting that in the Historical mode but at the same time I'm calling the omission a net positive. I loved getting all the info but it got very frustrating in prior games when there's dozens of exclamation points I have to undo in a menu later because landmarks and popups just keep getting thrown at me and I didn't hit Start fast enough.

I guess story wise there's an understandable excuse, seeing how
    Layla seems to be going somewhat rogue with Abstergo and her study team appears to be her and someone on Skype, as they delve into a new genetic memory they haven't done any research on yet.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I really do miss the codex, cause I really liked reading all of that stuff.

Also, on a geeking out level, when I first got to Alexandria I ran around for a minute, went shopping, and then turned the camera around and saw it. The Lighthouse of Alexandria. Five minutes later I'm on top of it looking at the cool-ass Alexandria they built and extremely happy.

• Options
    You know what I'd like even more than the Codex?

A "last messages" thread so I can see the instructions on how to do something that flashed on screen for like four seconds and if I miss I spend the next three hours of game play now knowing how to use a heavy attack

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, ten hours in the game now, and there's definite pros and cons I'm settling on.

The bad stuff: the interface is cumbersome and confusing. I don't think I'm going to "get used to it," or settle into the new playstyle or whatever. There's a lot that's janky. While nothing has been throw-the-controller frustrating for me, I think the attempt to make this unlike previous AC games made it way too, well, unlike previous AC games. I've yet to feel like I really need to be stealthy or sneaky, and in many moments where I think I'm supposed to, I'm force to just expose myself to the enemy and engage in combat. So, yeah, game, I get it. You want me to do combat. It's the big new thing you worked on. I'm okay with that, but there's a part of Assassin's Creed I still want and it's a word that encompasses half the game's title.

The game seems to focus on pleasing new players instead of long time fans, because everything I'm used to doing and want to do seems harder: air drops, ledge kills, corner cover- they're all there but not as smooth. Even parkour is jankier; I've accidentally leapt to my death more times in my first two days playing that the entirely of all the times I played Black Flag and Syndicate, combined. I've tried both control schemes and neither feel fully intuitive.

It's very focused on making you use all the new elements, which is good, but it seems like everything's one of only two difficulties: completely impossible and guys will kill you instantly, or already overleveled and you can just walk in and slash everyone to death and loot the place at your leisure. And sweet Jesus, I am already sick of scanning and looting.

So, that said: what makes the game great and why I love playing it:

The game is gorgeous, while the story starts off as confusing and ambiguous it feels better to experience as it paces through. The strongest selling point of the game for me is how Bayek seems to be the most earnest and genuinely compassionate of almost every protagonist in the series. I guess I'll spoiler this part since the character is sort of a surprise if you don't read any of the promo material:
    I love how Aya and Bayek have almost that snappy, possibly competitive relationship that Jacob and Evie had, but they're not siblings but a married couple. I love that they're a married couple, period. I love that they fuck because that's what healthy couples do and not because that's what cool video game heroes do. I know that is weird to write but there's so much fantasy/scifi stuff that either completely sterile or treats sex only as some kind of act of abuse or depravity, and I love that this is a couple that embraces physical, open emotional love. I love that their shared loss and trauma, at least so far, isn't being used to create conflict but rather a source of strength for them. I love that it's both endearing that they show a true and honest fear and care for each other while simultaneously kind of weird that murdering people for revenge gets them really, really horny.

I'll make this more general to not have to spoiler everything: what I really love about Bayek is so many AC characters are characters who have personal drive and have to find the good in them. There's a lot of assholes who become reluctant heroes, and yes, while with almost every other AC hero Bayek is motivated by a personal tragedy in his life, the game quickly and properly establishes that he is a generally good person and it's being a good person that makes him a good Assassin, not the other way around.

So, current stance: Origins is definitely not going to end up as my favorite AC game, but Bayek is already becoming my favorite Assassin.

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on