As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Camp Comic] Friday, October 27, 2017 - Footsteps

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2017 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Friday, October 27, 2017 - Footsteps

Footsteps

Footsteps

http://campcomic.com/comic/477

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    mturner23462mturner23462 Registered User regular
    That is one hard Kitty

• Options
    ZyxxZyxx Registered User regular
    Ah, those first steps into the useful, painful realm of self-examination and realizing some of the stuff you took for granted was actually super effed.

• Options
    SkizzSkizz Registered User regular
    The expression in that last panel. Coming from he uber-competitive yet doggedly average Malachai and contrasting with what he is saying. Brilliant.

• Options
    motorfireboxmotorfirebox Registered User regular
    Well there WASN'T

until NOW

LINUS

• Options
    SargeSarge Registered User regular
    Dark

• Options
    EndrianEndrian Registered User new member
    I wonder if he's starting to realize why his mother expected so much of him.

• Options
    StonefootStonefoot Registered User regular
    I think he was unaware of any pressure applied to him to live up to his father's reputation because he had internalized it. MALACHI expected to live up to it, so anyone else's expectations simply matched what he thought himself. Malachi "knows" he's like his father and everything he attempts will be successful... so whatever the actual outcome, that IS success in his mind. At some point the cognitive dissonance will break through (with luck, gradually) and he'll get all this straightened out.

Anyway....
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it. (nyah!)
    ;-}}

• Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    So, we know what his father claimed to have accomplished on his donor profile, but I wonder what his mom did or claims to have accomplished?
    She appeared fairly wealth off, so either she was successful herself or came from family money.
    And if Malachi was a failure in her eyes, would she try again?
    Is there a baby sibling out there that Malachi needs to rescue?

• Options
    te-kunte-kun Registered User regular
    It is like how a submarine have to so strong to reach the depths of the ocean but the animals there have no idea about how much pressure they are under.

• Options
    Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    Of course Malachi wasn't aware of any pressure. He's not so much shrugged off his failures as stepped away from them and disavowed them, and the person responsible, who certainly wasn't him. Hard to live standing beside yourself all that time. At least Petey Otterloop was aware when he had out-of-body experiences.

• Options
    darius404darius404 Registered User regular
    I think some people are missing the point. There WAS no pressure on him, because Malachai's mother didn't expect anything special of him. All that stuff she told him was just to cover up that it was a donor in the first place. She had no idea who he was, so she just made up something a small child would be impressed by. Malachai's the one who thought he had something to live up to, not his mother.

But he's not stupid or unaware. Even though Malachai plays otherwise, he's clearly aware he doesn't meet his self-imposed standards. And it FRUSTRATES him. His genius act is there to protect the reputation he feels his self-worth is tied to.

• Options
    JackBeenJackBeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    It's ambiguous

Did Mal's mother just make stuff up? Like some single mothers do when their kid is really really young? Pulling it out of thin air? It's a common trope in sitcoms and comics that the mother will tell the child their deadbeat / absentee father is really a super cool guy.

or

Did Mal's "donor" actually write all of that stuff on his donor card... and the mom believed it. Thinking she was going to give birth to some Einstein / Superman cross-breed.

Either way, the mom screwed up.

JackBeen on