As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wizards: The Dumb Nerds That Can. An Melding Guide

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Necromancy, I feel, is an underappreciated art.

Underappreciated, because 90% of Necromancers are assholes, and easily identifiable as such. The skulls everywhere doesn't help.

Still I feel if the Browns win the Super Bowl I would use that money to hire a Nercomancer to raise Art Modell from his grave to wander around Cleveland for all time.

It's difficult to find one who won't charge you an arm and a leg for it though

If you're especially unlucky, it'll be your arm and leg

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Dr. @Melding do you have any recommendation on how to handle a gun-based wizard or magic user?

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    dear wizard thread

is ryu from street fighter a wizard? he can throw fireballs

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    dear wizard thread

alternatively, is Goku?

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    What about Melding? Is Melding actually a wizard?
    Certainly seems to know a lot about the wizards and their arcane arts for a person who's not a wizard.

I'm not accusing Melding of anything here.
    I'm just asking questions.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    dear wizard thread

Just because something is called a fireball doesn't make it an all-consuming inferno born of arcane power.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    ryu absolutely uses rage magic

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Okay, so not every fireball is a Fireball.
    But what about Goku's Spirit Bomb attack? It literally drains some of the life force from every living creature as well as inanimate objects in a given area (up to and including the entire universe) and forges it into a single staggeringly powerful attack.
    It sounds like there's got to be necromancy or some kind of magic at play here.

I mean, Goku even had to die and train with the king of the afterlife in order to learn the skill. There's got to be a pact or warlockery or something at play there.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    ryu absolutely uses rage magic

Hmm. I hear emotions can be used to power spells now and then, is there any truth to that, or is it just idiots burning away their own lives or something?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Are there any mundane ways to get around those sorts of stealth spells where they don't just turn things intangible or invisible, but make you unable to realize whatever it is is there? Like, the light reflects off it, hits your eye, your eye sends the information to your brain and your brain decides its nothing. Is that something you just have to use magic to get around?

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    dear wizard thread

alternatively, is Goku?

As previously established by Melding, wizards use precise combinations of verbal and material components to manipulate external forces to achieve a desired result.

Meanwhile, both Ryu and Goku focus ki (energy naturally generated internally) to project energy attacks and enhance their own bodies. Thus, they are monks and not wizards.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I'd say spirit energy and unrelenting yelling are both verbal and (im)material components that could be quantified as external

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    also goku can use the spirit bomb which is not his own internal ki and therefore he is a wizard

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I thought a good way to defeat a wizard (or witch) was to perform a binding spell ceremony on them, as shown in the documentary The Craft.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Stilts wrote: »
    dear wizard thread

alternatively, is Goku?

As previously established by Melding, wizards use precise combinations of verbal and material components to manipulate external forces to achieve a desired result.

Meanwhile, both Ryu and Goku focus ki (energy naturally generated internally) to project energy attacks and enhance their own bodies. Thus, they are monks and not wizards.

spirit bomb is the energy of other people though

goku is a necromancer

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    also goku can use the spirit bomb which is not his own internal ki and therefore he is a wizard

While it's not his own ki, it is internal ki that others willingly release from their bodies which he then gathers

I'd say spirit energy and unrelenting yelling are both verbal and (im)material components that could be quantified as external

While there may occasionally be overlap with how ki and arcane energy are channeled, the source of the energy and the way you train yourself to use it is entirely different.

Again, ki comes from within yourself and is naturally generated. Arcane energy comes from without.

EDIT: To put it another way, ki is like a muscle, whereas arcana is like a tool.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    How does mana play into this cosmology

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    the spirit bomb uses health energy of willing beings to be used as an attack, not a wizard spell.

Also within the rules of Dragon Ball nothing goku does is actually magical. Goku also doesn't use books and scrolls to form his attacks.

in no way is goku a wizard.

• Options
    even if we count the spirit bomb as a magical attack, as it isn't being created by goku pulling energy out of the aether but instead from willing beings it would make him a witch.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Goku is a monk. I mean, come on. It's ki, y'all.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Dr. @Melding do you have any recommendation on how to handle a gun-based wizard or magic user?

a gun-based wizard is an artificer and not a wizard at all despite both of them tapping into the same source of magic

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Dr. Melding do you have any recommendation on how to handle a gun-based wizard or magic user?

a gun-based wizard is an artificer and not a wizard at all despite both of them tapping into the same source of magic
    Oh my god, Gene Starwind isn't an outlaw, he's an artificer.

• Options
    I feel this classification system is needlessly restrictive

you could have a wizard who just really likes collecting guns

not gonna call the wizard who collects knives a spellblade woooOOOoooOO

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    hello, multiclassing is still a thing

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    I feel this classification system is needlessly restrictive

you could have a wizard who just really likes collecting guns

not gonna call the wizard who collects knives a spellblade woooOOOoooOO

it's really just a classification of how you do magic, and not so much anything else.

• Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    hello, multiclassing is still a thing
    So Goku is a wizard-monk?

• Options
    What's the difference between a wizard, a mage, and a magician? No this isn't a joke setup unless someone has a punchline.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    What's the difference between a wizard, a mage, and a magician? No this isn't a joke setup unless someone has a punchline.

l21owyreruye.jpg

• Options

Wizard is a spell caster who uses method and formula to weave magic.

mage is a short form of magician, typically a short hand for magic user,

magicians typically wear silly outfits and perform slide of hand for vegas audiences.

• Options

They all do tricks

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Well a magician doesn't do any like magic magic.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

They all do tricks

Illusions, Michael.

A trick is something a whore does for money ... or candy!

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    there are wizards and then there are wizzards

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Goku does not have the intelligence to be a wizard.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Muffin button.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

His own ignorance of limitations enables him to defy the laws that govern his world. If that's not magic I don't know what is.

• Options
    Let us bend the very concept of definitions and truth and say a wizard 'studying' is no different than Goku 'training'

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    lotta people admitting they don't know what magic is in this thread.