As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassin's Creed

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Bayek is certainly what's keeping me playing

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    What do the little white blurs around the edge of the screen mean? I've got like 4 of them at once while I'm sneaking around this fort but it doesn't seem like anyone has seen me or is suspicious

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    What do the little white blurs around the edge of the screen mean? I've got like 4 of them at once while I'm sneaking around this fort but it doesn't seem like anyone has seen me or is suspicious

I think it means an enemy is looking at Bayek from that direction, but I'm not certain

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I thought it just meant that there's an enemy you've marked in that direction, but it could mean marked and looking. Game isn't real forthcoming with that kind of info.

I have no idea what the difference is between a blue and a purple mount, for instance. Or between a horse and a camel. Is it entirely cosmetic?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    I thought it just meant that there's an enemy you've marked in that direction, but it could mean marked and looking. Game isn't real forthcoming with that kind of info.

I have no idea what the difference is between a blue and a purple mount, for instance. Or between a horse and a camel. Is it entirely cosmetic?

This is a good question. Anyone go horse yet?

Seems to be cosmetic for mounts. I got a legendary horse for preordering, mostly just means his gear is fancy

Generally speaking, in terms of loot, purple is a rarer tier than blue

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

This is a good question. Anyone go horse yet?

I'm using the purple Twitch horse and it seems to be faster accelerating and higher top speed than the standard camel, so I think rarity affects mount performance as well

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Is there a speed difference with mounts? I could swear my horse is faster than my camel (and the chariot I stole was faster than both), but that could just be my imagination (it's not like there's a speedometer or anything).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Is there any sort of bug as beautiful as the ones that create animal-human hybrids?

That's historically accurate.
    Well, how did you think they came up with all their animal-headed gods?

• I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    klemming wrote: »
    Is there a speed difference with mounts? I could swear my horse is faster than my camel (and the chariot I stole was faster than both), but that could just be my imagination (it's not like there's a speedometer or anything).

Apparently rare and legendary mounts are slightly faster and take more damage before you get knocked off them

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Played for a bit last night, opened up the first city.

I know that AC tutorials usually go on for too long, but I'm not sure if I like the approach of just pretty much dumping you into a huge map and telling you to go on your merry way is a better alternative.

Also the combat is definitely taking time to get used.

I ran into one of the Phylakes for the first time last night
    He one hit killed me

Hey speaking of mounts

If you use a weapon that has the poison perk, and get the gas on you, and then hop on your camel or horse, you'll poison it! And it will start oozing blood and making really pathetic noises and then it will die!

What the fuck

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Why did you poison your mount, Douglas

It just wanted to be your friend, Douglas

You killed it, Douglas

CYpGAPn.png
    It was a terrible mistake

I didn't realize the gas was.. sticky? it clings to Bayek

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I ran into one of the Phylakes for the first time last night
    He one hit killed me

Yeah, I was all 'I got the drop on him...why worry abotu these assholes! *LEAP, hiddenblade shank*

and he's all 'NOPE! YOU DIE NOW!'

And I was dead.

I wanna level high enough so I can punk these guys, cuz right now when I hear the horn saying one is near, I go to Senu, ID the guy and nope the hell in the other direction.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Why did you poison your mount, Douglas

It just wanted to be your friend, Douglas

You killed it, Douglas

I have accidentally killed my horse more times than in Red Dead Redemption and that is saying something

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
  • soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    This combat might be too terrible for me to continue with this much farther

The only reliable way I've been able to take out random soldiers on horseback has been to run up to a rooftop, wait for them to climb up and spam the shit out of the attack button as they're climbing up

Everything about how the camera feels during combat is bad bad bad, and boy howdy I sure do hate it when games have a lock-on option that just drops the lock-on for no fucking reason

Using the bow just feels so bad too, everything about combat seems way off

Combat, took some getting used to, but it's more or less fine for me now. Long weapons like spears are great for people on horseback. Or summoning your horse and getting on and then slashing away. Or getting on horse and using bow to kill at mid-range. I killed my third [redacted optional mini-boss] just by riding my speedy horse and plunking away headshots with hunter bow at mid-range. The chariot races are tough, but worth it for that horse. Fast as the wind!

Combat is about weapon choice, dodge, and well-timed blocks that stun them and leave their guard open. Or just get a heavy weapon and bust through their puny shield defense. But especially dodge. If you're locked, it should leave you an opening for an attack or two. If you're facing multiple, spear is good here too (either packs of hyenas or people). In general though, this is a "combat is tough again" AC. Much better to kill things by stealth. If you cause an alarm and suddenly 10 dudes are running towards you ... run away!

It took me a bit to get used to the bows too, but oof, once I did. I have a unique stealth bow now that automatically lights the arrows. Long range and enemies burn softly afterwards. Very satsifying.

I'm not sure I loved the new combat initially either, but now that I'm over 20 hours in and becoming more proficient at killing, I'm finding stealth kills and the occasional combat smackdown very satisfying. I don't think it's objectively terrible, just takes some getting used to the new system. Also, upgrade gear when you can, makes a difference. Especially health.

what's the best source of money you guys have found so far? I feel like I'm always a little tight
    clearing outposts seems to get a good return but some of those are fairly time consuming

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I just finished Alexandria (sort of? At least I got the whole hey there's a big map and here's five breadcrumbs to chase some dudes down) and I'm sitting on a float of about 10 grand. That said, I'm not really spending any money, just using what I get from drops and so on.

I am a big loot hoover though so that's where most of my cash came from. A bit from questing, but yeah mostly selling treasure chest loot.

After getting the hidden blade
    yeah..OWI didn't play AC1, but I gather from 2 and AssBro that preemptively amputating that finger becomes a thing but jeees ow.

Second Modern section
    yay she can climb now, but boo not being able to read that tablet again because I walked off too fast.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    OH MY GOD IF YOU CROUCH NEXT TO A KITTY YOU START PETTING THE KITTY

GAME OF THE FUCKING YEAR

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I have started to take cat pictures when I stop in towns.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Oh, I'm only 27, but one piece of advice is upgrade weapons sparingly while leveling. Purples aren't too bad, but it costs a chunk. Yellows are fun, but you out-level them soon enough (and are very expensive to upgrade). I was probably level 22 and broke again before I realized it's probably smarter just to save the weapons you like once you out level them and upgrade at 40, when you won't have to worry about out-leveling them again. Otherwise, it's just too expensive. I'm a little cautious, but apart from yellows, it's probably legit to dismantle even purples you've out-leveled, they seem to drop semi-frequently. Although I'm still saving one purple of each weapon type just so I have something to upgrade if I hit a challenge that seems to require it.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »

huh. I stand corrected.

For some reason in my head, real life camels are still totally different than mocapped camels in Origins in terms of how they move and stuff.

so uh
    you guys seen any weird shit in the desert?

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    For some reason in my head, real life camels are still totally different than mocapped camels in Origins in terms of how they move and stuff.

I think there's a specific speed between a trot and a gallop where they just speed up the trot animation, and that looks weird as hell. Like the camel came right off the set of Benny Hill.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    so uh

Son if you only knew

I don't know if I somehow skipped a step or what, but the scarab thing seemed to be over before it began

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I think there's a specific speed between a trot and a gallop where they just speed up the trot animation, and that looks weird as hell. Like the camel came right off the set of Benny Hill.

Camels can increase or decrease the number of knees they have at will.

so uh

Define 'weird shit'.
    I went to climb a pyramid because who the hell plays this game and doesn't climb a pyramid, and I heard a noise as I got closer.
    Investigating, I found a fish flopping around. In the sand. Some considerable distance from anything that could support fish life as we know it.
    Unfortunately, it died and faded away before I could figure out how to get photo mode working.

I don't know if it's a random glitch, or maybe it's a thing. Rains of fish happen, right?

I'm gonna go ahead and say yeah, if you see any weird shit in the desert, you'll know

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    So did you all know you can toggle Bayek's beard and hair on and off in the gear menu? I don't know if I missed a prompt or something but it's a neat feature

L2+Triangle for hair
    R2+ Triangle for beard

PSN- AHermano
    This thread told me!
    But every time you die it resets and that bothers me

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    This thread told me!
    But every time you die it resets and that bothers me

This thread? I should really learn to read someday

PSN- AHermano
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    On my way home, new copy of game in my bag

I have an exam on Thursday, but it's OK, I will let Mrs Rhesus play the game until then

Although I should do the install and update stuff when I get home so she can play straight away

I'm warning you, Future Rhesus, that's it

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I'm gonna go ahead and say yeah, if you see any weird shit in the desert, you'll know
    I found a shipwreck in the desert

Which seemed odd

IKknkhU.gif
    The archery stuff is sort of driving me nuts if I think about it, I regret choosing the ability to carry two bows, because it makes no sense to have four different bows to do things that aren't dependent on the bow but the wielder of the bow

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    The archery stuff is sort of driving me nuts if I think about it, I regret choosing the ability to carry two bows, because it makes no sense to have four different bows to do things that aren't dependent on the bow but the wielder of the bow

When, when I swapped to a different bow and suddenly holding down the trigger made it fire continuously rather than charge the shot I got super confused.

IKknkhU.gif