As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things are getting Stranger all the time

BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
sqpo7rl9ojay.jpg
Season 2 of this show is out!

I'm only through Episode 5 but it's real good so far!

Let's all talk about how amazing Steve's hair is!

CYpGAPn.png

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    I'm up to episode 6 and enjoying everything except what they're doing with El I guess, she feels superfluous which is a real shame

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Hermano wrote: »
    I'm up to episode 6 and enjoying everything except what they're doing with El I guess, she feels superfluous which is a real shame
    I think the plot with her mom isn't great but I really really love her and Hopper's while thing

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Loved the season as a whole

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Hermano wrote: »
    I think the plot with her mom isn't great but I really really love her and Hopper's while thing
    Yeah that was great, the reveal at the end of the first episode was one the highlights so far, it's just the rest of her plot that's been disappointing

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Really enjoyed this, the characters are stellar and the kids really turn in excellent performances. That said, Episode 8:
    I can't help but feel the way kind and generous characters like Bob are treated in media reflects poorly on society as a whole.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    This season has also further solidified that I think David Harbour is gonna kill it as Hellboy

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Is Erica new to this season? She's pretty great, you don't see many child actors that adept at being funny

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Hoping next season we get a different kid as the designated target for Horror Stuff. Will's been through enough.
    Also had enough creepy stuff going into his face. Gross tentacle-y stuff last season (blissfully offscreen), creepy shadow smoke stuff this season. Enough!

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    "ive seen some things...but this is some of the stranger things ive seen" - number eleven

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    It took me until last night but I think I figured out one of the main reasons I like this show so much. It's a small thing, but it feels like all the background people are good and helpful, if gullible. Like the restaurant cook in the first episode of season 1. I can't help but feel like he'd be a creep in any other modern show. Or the teacher, who clearly loves his students and wants to inspire them. There's something very innocent and inherently decent about this town of Hawkins, which makes the latent evil lurking in it's mirror twin all the more awful.
    Also I just finished episode 5, and it looks like Steve and Dustin, two of my favorite characters, will be hanging out together, so I am hopeful for some hijinks.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    watched the first ep of this last night! it was finger-lickin good

my one wish is that they would chill on the music cues just a little bit. just a bit, now

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    watched the first ep of this last night! it was finger-lickin good

my one wish is that they would chill on the music cues just a little bit. just a bit, now
    Yeah there is a whole lot of 80s music in this

Which makes sense obviously but gets a bit much

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I might be misremembering (I watched it while I was falling asleep) but I feel like it might've been less egregious for me if they devo and the scorpions and such were presented as diegetic, but neither felt like it. like the scorpions didn't seem to be playing from dirt staches car, it's literally entrance music for him

all the music just kinda beats you over the head. I like the score but it was just blippin and bloopin away real loud trying to sell me way too hard on the emotion of the scene

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Brett Gelman is very good in this season

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Six episodes in and it feels like the "magic" of Season 1 was a fluke. I don't want to say "nothing" has happened, but a lot of these episodes have just been the series dragging its feet to get to conclusions you as the viewer have already made, or end up in areas that are complete and utter "movie logic." One thing that is just absolutely ludicrous: (Nancy and Jonathon)
    I don't mind the "will they wont they" since most people expected it last season and it was a kind of nice twice to have it not go that way. However their plan to play Hawkins Lab and it working. . .yea what the funk. First, let's just pretend that a top secret (well not really since I guess just anyone can get dialed into what's going on) government program who is actively monitoring you and your phone calls doesn't bother to actually frisk you when you are brought in for questioning and CERTAINLY doesn't think it weird when you start fiddling with your purse to start recording their conversation. However the plan to send a tape of this VERY conversation after you've been not so subtly threatened by this very organization that they'll do anything to prevent the spread of whatever the UpsideDown is. . .come on now.
    It's all way to neat and smacks of the Duffers not really being creative enough to figure out something to do with all the characters to keep them involved. Also the writing/acting has been kind of not-great. I might be nitpicking things but this whole:
    "now-memories" horseshit smacks of them wanting a buzzword like last seasons UpsideDown. It's like, we already have a word for "now-memories." We call them "visions" but I guess that's just not cool enough for the show.
    And the "This is the 80's!"-ness of the show is just getting to be too much. Like was there really a small town in the United States that had every bit of the 80's permeating it's culture? I dunno. I hope these final three episodes gets me back on board, but I really doubt it.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    The Nancy/Jon shit was one of the more annoying things this season.

On the flip, Dustin and Steve becoming total bros was great.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Brett Gelman is very good in this season

I thought he was pretty bad

There was just a tone of goofiness that came through that really didn't match the tone of the series as a whole for me. It was like he was acting for Wet Hot American Summer.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Nancy and Jon was the least compelling part of the show for me this time around, but I still didn't hate it

Standouts. Only minor spoilers but just in case:
    1) Steve.

My wife and I yelled OH NO STEVE! POOR STEVE! OH MY GOD ITS STEVE! so much and the recurring joke of people being surprised to see him was so much fun.

2) I continue to love Dustin and his actor.

3) 11 and Hopper's relationship was sweet, funny, sad, and overall amazing.

4) Dacre. Fucking. Montgomery.

I liked him fine in the power rangers film, but holy crap he is absolutely INCREDIBLE in this. Billy and Max didn't get all that much to do, but Dacre chews the scenery so fucking well that even though he's horrific it was so much fun every time he was on screen.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Sat down with some friends yesterday to watch the first few episodes, ended up plowing through the entire season. Whoops.

Likes!
    Steve

The mind flayer was appropriately creepy. Especially when it was shown all shadowy through the gate as Jane was sealing it.

Steve's hair

The core kids. Still great, all the actors are great, they're great.

Steve giving Dustin hair care tips.

Paul Reiser. I expected him to be basically the same sort of jerkass doctor from last season, just a jerkass in a new way. Instead he was really just someone trying to clean up someone else's mess in the best way he could.

Steve and Dustin as bffs.

Lucas's family, especially Erika. She was delightful.

I was actually a fan of how they integrated Barb into the plot. Nancy knowing what happened, and seeing the pain Barb's parents were going through but not being able to do anything about it was really interesting.

Dislikes!
    Episode 7, for all the reasons everyone else hated it.

Jane's arc in general. Not a fan of how it little it was interwoven with the rest of the plot. I still really like the character, and there's a really great plot about growing up with those kinds of powers in there somewhere, but she was really detached from the rest of the show.

Max and her douchey, shirtless brother. They could have been removed from the show entirely and nothing at would have changed. I have no idea why they were in this show.

The way the immediate threat upgraded. "One demogorgon was mean, what if we just had them fight 100 of them?" The creepy vines under the city, with them spitting and oozing things and turning Hawkins into the upsidedown was much spookier.

The way Nancy tried to deal with the whole Barb thing. It was really weirdly done, reporter guy didn't fit into the rest of the plot at alln despite having an interesting introduction in episode 1. It was just way, way too easy to wrap that all up.

I get why they wanted to expand the world some, but I didn't really like how they did it.

Narbus on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Man, FUCK Cracked.com

Scrolling through my FB feed and glance at one of their post that links to an article about what ST needs to answer in season 3 and it contains a huge spoiler right in the fucking post.
    "What was in the caskets for Barb and Bob?"

• Options
    My girlfriend and I are currently having a Twitter Poll feud over whether Steve's hair is just a mullet or a beautiful piece of flowing majesty

We are tied and she is very smug

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I've always liked the "normal people get roped into the conspiracy and do the right thing" trope (is there a better word for this?), and Steve and Bob acquitted themselves well. I really like what they did with Steve.

Season Spoilers
    - Saw Bob's demise a mile away, and I am still mad they did it.
    - Eleven + Eight's mini side trip I liked the least in the season, but I understand it's part of ElevenJane's overall development. All in all it's still getting a thumbs up for me.
    - Honestly thought the new Doctor was just another shady government guy just with a smile, but turns out he's actually a decent dude trying to do the right thing but does not have all the information.
    - Really wish Max did more, but it's the Party's own fault they kept shutting her off and in the dark.
    - Really like what Nancy did for Dustin in the end, there.

Overall, I liked everyone's stories, but Will, Dustin and Steve are the highlights of season 2 for me.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm on Episode 7 now and it is a chore to get through.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying this but not feeling a need to binge it
    watched through ep 4 now

and yeah the music is a BIT much, mostly I wish when they pick a song they'd stick to it, but instead we get like 10 seconds each of Talking In Your Sleep and Push It To The Limit and then fade out

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    My parents would always call this show "Mysterious Ways"

It got so bad they could not find it on Netflix because they were searching for the wrong thing. This resulted in me and my sister relentlessly teasing them whenever we saw them about it, which culminated last Christmas when I got my dad a Michael Stackpole book of the same name as a gag.

Anyways, new season is good stuff so far

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    It warmed my heart to see Steve wearing the Members Only jacket I've owned the longest.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I used to read a book series called "Strange Matter" back when I was a kid.

This show reminds me of it a little, what with the general horror theme and kids facing the supernatural and whatnot.

RT800 on
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I've taken to calling this show RANG ING, because if you pause the intro at just the right spot that's what it's called

• Options
    One thing that's been bugging me about the series so far is how
    the demigorgons are basically immune to bullets.

Like it just strains my credulity that people keep opening up on them with assault rifles and... nothin'. They don't even slow down. Hell, they don't even bleed as far as I've seen.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Six episodes in and it feels like the "magic" of Season 1 was a fluke. I don't want to say "nothing" has happened, but a lot of these episodes have just been the series dragging its feet to get to conclusions you as the viewer have already made, or end up in areas that are complete and utter "movie logic." One thing that is just absolutely ludicrous: (Nancy and Jonathon)
    I don't mind the "will they wont they" since most people expected it last season and it was a kind of nice twice to have it not go that way. However their plan to play Hawkins Lab and it working. . .yea what the funk. First, let's just pretend that a top secret (well not really since I guess just anyone can get dialed into what's going on) government program who is actively monitoring you and your phone calls doesn't bother to actually frisk you when you are brought in for questioning and CERTAINLY doesn't think it weird when you start fiddling with your purse to start recording their conversation. However the plan to send a tape of this VERY conversation after you've been not so subtly threatened by this very organization that they'll do anything to prevent the spread of whatever the UpsideDown is. . .come on now.
    It's all way to neat and smacks of the Duffers not really being creative enough to figure out something to do with all the characters to keep them involved. Also the writing/acting has been kind of not-great. I might be nitpicking things but this whole:
    "now-memories" horseshit smacks of them wanting a buzzword like last seasons UpsideDown. It's like, we already have a word for "now-memories." We call them "visions" but I guess that's just not cool enough for the show.
    And the "This is the 80's!"-ness of the show is just getting to be too much. Like was there really a small town in the United States that had every bit of the 80's permeating it's culture? I dunno. I hope these final three episodes gets me back on board, but I really doubt it.

You’re not going to like episode 7.

Also it seems like you hate it anyways so probably just stop?

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Just finished it. It was pretty good but in the end felt unnecessary.

Doesn't hold a candle to the first season.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Finished it up!
    I think Eleven's whole mom/sister widely and Nancy and Jonathan's were pretty weak but I loved everything else so much that it didn't matter much for me

Steve/Dustin and Hopper/Eleven were both absolutely fantastic pairings that I loved to death. Everything about Hopper's growth as a reluctant father and Eleven realizing he genuinely cares about her hit home for me.

Overall I really liked it, maybe a little weaker than Season 1, but still a fuckin' great show

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Finished. It was alright.

Not that it was bad but it felt like it was really dragging its feet in a lot of places.
    Four episodes in and eleven is still in the cabin? Doesn't reunite with the rest of the party until the very end? Has an entire episode devoted to her palling around with a bunch of 80's punk randos for what felt like an overly-long Stranger Things 3 setup?

And it seemed like they mostly just didn't know what to do with Nancy and Jonathan.

And Mad Max felt like she was kind of just... there. I mean I don't object to her being there or anything, but you could basically take her and her brother out entirely and nothing would change.

I stand by my belief that this show would've made a better anthology. This story didn't need a sequel.

RT800 on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I finished this today and really didn't think it was that great. I enjoyed the first season well enough when I watched it but it didn't stick with me beyond that, and this season just felt like a bigger, bloated version of the first.
    First, Billy and Max were completely unnecessary and I don't know why they were included. Both were varying levels of unpleasant, and Billy was quite disgusting towards the end, I thought. The revelation that his dad is an even bigger piece of shit didn't do much to humanize him, and I'm also pretty sure he's racist?? Not sure why he'd have such an incredible hate-on for Lucas otherwise.

I think Eleven's little detour to find out about her mom was... strange (heh). That whole episode with 8 felt like it was from a completely different show, and the "don't take my revenge from me! You're weak! You can't be weak because they'll just see you as a monster" schtick felt really hack-y and trope-y.

And it felt so strange for them to spread all the characters out into these little pairs, when the first season's arguably biggest strength was the chemistry between the four kids. This is what I mean when this season felt bloated; there were too many plates spinning and it felt like it could've used some more focus.

I like the idea mentioned that the threat could've evolved in a way that wasn't just "a demigorgon x 100." The slow rot and transformation of Hawkins into Upside-Down 2.0 would've been a great hook on its own, and the Mind Flayer would've made a great villain for that... if it didn't look so f u c k i n g goofy

I could go on. This was just a messy season of television. Hopper and Steve are the MVPs, though.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I feel like season 2 would be a good end to the series, but they're going to keep going aren't they?
    Closing the gate seems like it'd pretty definitively put an end to this shit, but I guess the mindflayer is going to want to find a way back to our world and that's gonna be the thing in season 3.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Episode 7 which everyone seems to hate, had a few awesome moments. It turned Elle into:
    51iL0EqJNAL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Which is amazing.

I personally didn't mind it it all. *shrug* I saw it as a tribute to all those 80s punk movies.

• Options
    Episode 7 was fine but
    episode 6 ended on such a tense cliffhanger that an okay El punk adventure that had very little impact on the rest of the show was not something I really wanted

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Yeah I actually loved episode 7

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    One thing that's been bugging me about the series so far is how
    the demigorgons are basically immune to bullets.

Like it just strains my credulity that people keep opening up on them with assault rifles and... nothin'. They don't even slow down. Hell, they don't even bleed as far as I've seen.

End spoiler
    What annoyed me was that they weren't immune when Hopper was shooting the shit out of em. Just non-main characters couldn't do any damage.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Episode 7 spoiler
    a buddy showed me a picture of punk El next to a picture of the trenchcoat creepy robot boss from Grandma's Boy and I still can't stop laughing at it because they look identical.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth