As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Apparently Sony had a big Playstation thing going on that day

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Is Far Cry even grim nihilism?

Like I haven't watched the new trailer but everything so far has been all about fighting against that cult and taking back your town and they've been leaning more into the "fun action romp" tone as it has become clear they aren't going to be political

It's violent sure but I wouldn't call it grim or nihilistic

CYpGAPn.png
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    i just

I really wish that sony's gameplay for this particular year and also next year wasn't "grim nihilism"

especially when nintendo is basically weaponizing joy and comfort right now
    I mean

Is it outside of TLOU 2 and David Cage's shit

Horizon was really hopeful, Spider-Man looks Spider-Man as fuck, Ghost of Tsushima looks dark but not nihilistic and Concrete Genie looks like a delight

they opened with a far cry and closed with tlou

that says a lot about their intent on tone to me

Or, it could be "Ubisoft paid us money for the opening slot and Naughty Dog games are really damn expensive so we have to do a ton of marketing for a game that isn't going to be out for 2 years"

People thinking about money in video games?

Whatever next?

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    eagle eyed viewers have pointed out that the house from become human appears to be reconstructed from assets from Ethan's house in heavy rain

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Like I haven't watched the new trailer but everything so far has been all about fighting against that cult and taking back your town and they've been leaning more into the "fun action romp" tone as it has become clear they aren't going to be political

uh........ i don't think any far cry* could be termed a "fun action romp". i mean the initial trailer for 5 had a bunch of people on their knees about to get shot in the head and some screaming women being dragged off for something awful.

*well maybe blood dragon

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

uh........ i don't think any far cry* could be termed a "fun action romp". i mean the initial trailer for 5 had a bunch of people on their knees about to get shot in the head and some screaming women being dragged off for something awful.

*well maybe blood dragon

They sure are trying their damndest with every single trailer after that one to sell it like that

The initial reveal was the only thing that made it seem like they were in any way interested in telling a relevant story

6F32U1X.png
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Boy, the tone in that trailer sure is a far cry from the first one!

god dammit chico

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

*well maybe blood dragon
    They 100% try and have Far Cry be 50% serious 50% fun action times all the time

Far Cry 3 had you burn up pot fields while Skrillex and Damien Marley played and you bought guns from a cast of colorful weirdos and had weaponized tigers

Far Cry 4 had their Danny McBride-esque chopper pilot buddy as well as the various comedic moments that the villain brought between his moments of menace

Like I am not saying it works, it creates hella tonal dissonance, but they absolutely shoot for it

Look at this trailer

https://youtu.be/WX_h8rneDxU

Opens with people getting brained by cultists and a ruined town

Closes with Borderlands esque intro cards and BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

CYpGAPn.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

Initially they presented the game as being very serious

And then some actual serious shit started occuring, and I think they decided they were not qualified or interested in trying to address any of that and the marketing took a very hard turn into "Look how wacky this all is!"

a5ehren wrote: »
    i just

I really wish that sony's gameplay for this particular year and also next year wasn't "grim nihilism"

I mean

Horizon was really hopeful, Spider-Man looks Spider-Man as fuck, Ghost of Tsushima looks dark but not nihilistic and Concrete Genie looks like a delight

Or, it could be "Ubisoft paid us money for the opening slot and Naughty Dog games are really damn expensive so we have to do a ton of marketing for a game that isn't going to be out for 2 years"

and that marketing could have had a much different tone if they had wanted it to! TLoU 1 wasn't entirely about the grimness of humanity's inhumanity, and its marketing was more mixed leading in to launch

to close a conference with someone of this tone is so so so deflating

like wolf 2 is a perfect example of a game that pivoted its marketing to match the tone of the period it was releasing in really well

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    At some point shit like Far Cry and Call of Duty trying their hardest to avoid making a statement is downright cowardly and I have no patience for it

6F32U1X.png
    also i'm just pretty upset that we have confirmation that the spelunky guy fucks

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    We don't even have a release date for TLoU Part 2, isn't it a little early to call this "leading in to launch" marketing?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    also i'm just pretty upset that we have confirmation that the spelunky guy fucks

look at that nose, you think a man with a nose like that doesn't fuck?

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg

actually MY spelunky guy settled down with the hot male model and adopted

but yes they still fuck like bunnies

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    personally i always shipped the robot and the golden statue man

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    David_T wrote: »
    We don't even have a release date for TLoU Part 2, isn't it a little early to call this "leading in to launch" marketing?

it's the first thrust of it, yeah

next trailer is probably more broad story and snippets gameplay

then e3 is gameplay and release date

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Adoption is a thing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    OH SHIT the dog is still alive all these years later because he's using the Kapala as a water bowl

Okay, but who's putting blood in it?

Peewi wrote: »
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    OH SHIT the dog is still alive all these years later because he's using the Kapala as a water bowl

Okay, but who's putting blood in it?

what do you think happened to the dad...

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg

Adoption is a thing.

yeah but the problem is you always walk into the office and accidentally pick up the baby before you sign the adoption forms and then the guy there pulls out an enormous shotgun and chases you until you either die or can escape in to a deeper level

• AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular

Adoption is a thing.

The kid has Spelunky Guy's nose and Miner Woman's mole.

They fucked. Maybe more than once.

ZD98Zka.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Adoption is a thing.

yeah but the problem is you always walk into the office and accidentally pick up the baby before you sign the adoption forms and then the guy there pulls out an enormous shotgun and chases you until you either die or can escape in to a deeper level

Okay, technically that's kidnapping, but...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    At some point shit like Far Cry and Call of Duty trying their hardest to avoid making a statement is downright cowardly and I have no patience for it

It felt weird and wrong to see Call of Duty having the iron cross on the red banners instead of the swastika. If you're gonna do world war 2, fucking do world war 2.

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »

it's the first thrust of it, yeah

next trailer is probably more broad story and snippets gameplay

then e3 is gameplay and release date

We'll get a release date at PSX, I'm pretty sure of that.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

What would their statement look like

I'm not sure what people honestly expect

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/HftJIAiidMo

Features the "sad guy" from the Infamous reveal a few years ago!

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I wonder who rose to power and lead Germany into war in Call of Duty WWII.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Can we talk about how the Sony PR guy kept calling it "Ghost of Sushimi"?

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

metaghost wrote: »
    Can we talk about how the Sony PR guy kept calling it "Ghost of Sushimi"?

nothing scarier than a raw spirit fish

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/RtCbawh4F14

Concrete Genie looks really neat and charming, imo

PSN- AHermano
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I hate how much I love Quantic Dreams' games

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    i just

I mean

Didn't the open with the Sucker Punch game?

And there was an entire hour before hand of neat looking indy and PSVR games.

I thought their lineup was pretty varied actually.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I am here for ghost of tsushima

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Despite falling off everything else about the infamous games

Actually controlling them is still maybe the most fun I've ever had in that style of action game, it felt AMAZING

So I'm really excited for Ghost

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Wait, Sucker Punch is doing Ghost of Morishima? I totally spaced on that. OK, now I'm in.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Oh wow, I wonder if Tennis World Tour is exclusive

It has PlayStation ads on all the courtside advertisements, but maybe those are things they can just easily cycle in and out

Apparently this was announced back in May and slipped under my radar, but it's being done by the Top Spin team. Fuck yesssss