As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All Comics All The Time! Current comics and what we're all reading.

DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
This is a lofty idea so feel free to shut it down mods but as this sub forum doesn't see much traffic and the Awesome Moments thread is Awesome but not everything is awesome I was hoping to start a thread about what we're all reading and what is happening in comics now.

We have DC Rebirth and Marvel Legacy along with a slew of amazing comics from other publishers worth reading. Let's talk as a community. Spoiler things within the current month. Everything else is fair game unless it's a big twist.

Example with real spoilers.

Holy crap I can't believe Marvel Legacy brought back
Wolverine

If you read Invincible (which you really should seriously don't click this spoiler if you haven't)
It was a great twist when Omni-Man was set up as a bad guy

Let's talk about current comics.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I just finished reading a relatively old.... thing? I think it's a miniseries?

Grant Morrison's Flex Mentallo: Man of Muscle Mystery.

Look, I read the Grant Morrison run of Animal Man. I liked that, it was interesting and well written and tightly wound and it made sense to me.

Flex Mentallo? I had nothing to grip, I can say what happened but I don't know what happened, if it makes any sense.

I don't think I enjoyed it very much.

Gonna go to the library borrow something else, dunno what, tho. Probably gonna try and grab "La Femme Piege" by Enki Bilal, I liked the first one, "La Foire aux Immortels". (The nikopol trilogy, as it is known in English)

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular

Look, I read the Grant Morrison run of Animal Man. I liked that, it was interesting and well written and tightly wound and it made sense to me.

Flex Mentallo? I had nothing to grip, I can say what happened but I don't know what happened, if it makes any sense.

Gonna go to the library borrow something else, dunno what, tho. Probably gonna try and grab "La Femme Piege" by Enki Bilal, I liked the first one, "La Foire aux Immortels". (The nikopol trilogy, as it is known in English)

Well, like Flex Mentallo says in the series itself, "being clever is a good thing, but sometimes you have to go outside", paraphrased. Thats always been Morrissons problems, he has all these complex ideas that he puts in without thinking if he SHOULD put them in. The series is supposed to be a metaphysical exploration of fiction and it's creators but... well, it doesnt do it very good. It has a few interesting characters and ideas but overall, it feels like Morrisson trying to be Alan Moore.

• Options
    So here's a question. Does anyone actually like Marvel's Venomverse? Essentially every becomes Venom and it's just. . .strange to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlebEA9Fb-o

Here's Comics Explained doing a run down on the whole bit but gosh it seems unnecessary. I do like that the Venom symbiote has been given more of a story with Flash Thompson and Mac Gargan, heck I even like the Anti-Venom story.

What do you guys think?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

I read Flex Mentallo a long time ago, and didn't really understand it and - as a consequence - didn't really like it. I re-read it some years later, and came away with a much more favorable impression. My approach to Grant Morrison's work is that for his more out-there writing, I don't need to understand what is happening with my rational mind, because it's often going to be weird and messy and tangled, not following the straight lines laid down by conventions and tropes; rather, I should just let it wash over me and let my emotions react to it, come away with an impression rather than an understanding. Like... I don't know, "Alice In Wonderland" is a weird, trippy book that isn't very rational, yet still reflects on society and communicates ideas. I feel like Flex Mentallo is cut from a similar cloth.

Anyway, the one thing from Flex Mentallo that made a deep impression on me, that I'm never ever going to forget (and, frankly, that I think maybe changed my own outlook on life a little) is this panel (spoilered for being a bit large):
    75abb06ef9636a6c0e6190329ab8c52e--flex-mentallo-jpg.jpg

Only a bitter little adolescent boy could confuse realism with pessimism. Oooof, been there.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    So here's a question. Does anyone actually like Marvel's Venomverse? Essentially every becomes Venom and it's just. . .strange to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlebEA9Fb-o

Here's Comics Explained doing a run down on the whole bit but gosh it seems unnecessary. I do like that the Venom symbiote has been given more of a story with Flash Thompson and Mac Gargan, heck I even like the Anti-Venom story.

What do you guys think?

I think people apparently liked Spider Island, so this was the logical consequence.

Edit:Also, I have tended to stay away from GV because I have not been very positive on comics lately. I will do my best to keep that out of here.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Delduwath wrote: »

I read Flex Mentallo a long time ago, and didn't really understand it and - as a consequence - didn't really like it. I re-read it some years later, and came away with a much more favorable impression. My approach to Grant Morrison's work is that for his more out-there writing, I don't need to understand what is happening with my rational mind, because it's often going to be weird and messy and tangled, not following the straight lines laid down by conventions and tropes; rather, I should just let it wash over me and let my emotions react to it, come away with an impression rather than an understanding. Like... I don't know, "Alice In Wonderland" is a weird, trippy book that isn't very rational, yet still reflects on society and communicates ideas. I feel like Flex Mentallo is cut from a similar cloth.

Anyway, the one thing from Flex Mentallo that made a deep impression on me, that I'm never ever going to forget (and, frankly, that I think maybe changed my own outlook on life a little) is this panel (spoilered for being a bit large):
    75abb06ef9636a6c0e6190329ab8c52e--flex-mentallo-jpg.jpg

Only a bitter little adolescent boy could confuse realism with pessimism. Oooof, been there.

I dont know, I've found that cynicism is basically the same as experience. Belive the worst about everyone, and you'll usually be right.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    That was my outlook when I was - ironically - a less experienced young man. As I got older, I started noticing that basically everyone has their own problems on their plate, and are trying to deal with them the best they can. At my previous job, this was a huge issue: all the teams basically thought the other teams were at least a little dumb and incompetent, but like ten minutes of talking to everyone (without bringing in negative preconceptions) revealed that every team was overworked, understaffed, and labored under the yoke of sub-optimal decisions made in the previous years (sometimes for good reasons, sometimes for bad).

Anyway, I don't think any of this is something one can flip a switch and just decide to believe; I think one's own experience will shape one's emotions on the subject. "Believe the worst and be pleasantly surprised when something good happens" seems like an approach that minimizes getting hurt. My own experience has been that ascribing ill intent to others has led to other flavors of getting hurt (like being upset at people when they haven't done anything intentionally wrong).

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I am going to talk about Super Sons because it is great and is the best ongoing title in comics today.

0z0jeVC.jpg

It's Superboy and Robin teaming up and being kids. Dumb kids trying to use their powers and abilities to git gud like their fathers and doing their cape work after school or on the weekends. What the book does that a lot, a lot of other teen hero books fail at right now is showing them not being super amazing and constantly besting other established heroes. Tomasi is also such an experienced writer he knows not to make the stories this bad fanfic that use heroics by proxy to tell another story entirely and is first and foremost a superhero book, only through the eyes of the new generation. Kid heroes put in kid hero situations, and communicating with their parents who encourage their heroics (...most of the time). I mean look at this, who else is the bestest mom who makes her son a snack for his Friday Night Metropolis patrols? It's delightful and you can't help but smile at this:

XyAO9Kn.jpg

More importantly, Super Sons shows them being kids, and not exaggerated everything is awesome kids who teach their parents a lesson a derp, they get put in their place all the time.

OE7uqxR.jpg

Damian carries his usual cockiness but Jon, being just like his dad, has that built-in bullshit detector that knows when to let his partner brag and when to call him on it.

Mz3nPMS.jpg

And Damian in return looks to toughen Jon up, because he would never say it outright but he respects Clark much in the same way Dick looked to Clark when he was Robin. You have a perfect example of heart and brain working together as they grow and are now in the grudging respect phase of their team-ups. The first arc dealt with a Kid Amazo while setting the groundwork with each respective family to let them continue to be heroes (although much more in Jon's case since Damian's been doing this so long he's died and resurrected already), and the most recent arc not only had the Teen Titans appear with nice continuity connections but brought back an old school DC villain named Kraklow that essentially used Superboy and Robin as beacons of hope for a whole new world of kid heroes who were fighting against clay putty capes who were empty vessels (a not so subtle jab at Marvel and DC for the past few years).

The art is phenomenal and very consistent, Jorge Jiminez jumped over from Superman to handle this book monthly and in 9 issues has drawn 7.5 of them, which is about the best you can do these days. But man is his work amazingly energetic and fun, Karl Kerschl and Olivier Coipel combined with fantastic coloring. And it's just the little things in his work, I can't see a lot of photo referencing or modeling in his art, everyone is drawn differently and with emotion that conveys the story without even reading the bubbles.

Pb3Sjj5.jpg

DdddsCl.jpg

The trade of the first five or six issues should be out now, I highly recommend it for kids and adults. You can't go wrong with this series.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Currently I'm enjoying Dark Nights: Metal, and a lot more than I thought I would. It ties in with the larger DC cosmic scheme in ways similar to Multiversity and Final Crisis, which I always really like. The side-stories involving the Titans is also fun, very manga-esque - Gotham City is taken over by 5 of Batman's villains who are each given the power to shape a region of the city into their own personal supernatural 'dream realm', which is manga as hell.

Also recently got Empowered vol. 10, which ended on a cliff-hanger, so now I'm desperately awaiting vol. 11, which is rumored to be out sooner than most volumes have been! Since it's usually a year between books, I hope that's true.

Super Sons does look good, I should try looking into it.
    If you read Invincible (which you really should seriously don't click this spoiler if you haven't)
    It was a great twist when Omni-Man was set up as a bad guy

Invincible is a great series, and it's actually building up to its final issue in the next few months. So now is the time to get into it, you can be caught up just in time for the finish!

Venomverse was pretty much a semi-serious spin on the earlier Spiderverse storyline, where everyone was Spider-Man (not to be confused with Spider Island, where everyone was also Spider-Man).

Not exactly parodic, but basically someone going 'hey, remember when everyone was Spider-Man was from across the multiverse? What about if everyone was Venom from across the multiverse?' I did find the villains surprisingly fun, the Poisons (womp womp) are basically little symbiote mini-cons that super-charged Venoms at the cost of killing the host.

Overall I enjoyed it more than Spiderverse, which was super somber and ran way too long. I don't think Venomverse was ever meant to be a huge deal with far reaching ramifications the way they built Spiderverse up to be, it was just a short, fun story about crazy dimension-hopping alien shenanigans.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I am going to talk about Super Sons because it is great and is the best ongoing title in comics today.

0z0jeVC.jpg

It's Superboy and Robin teaming up and being kids. Dumb kids trying to use their powers and abilities to git gud like their fathers and doing their cape work after school or on the weekends. What the book does that a lot, a lot of other teen hero books fail at right now is showing them not being super amazing and constantly besting other established heroes. Tomasi is also such an experienced writer he knows not to make the stories this bad fanfic that use heroics by proxy to tell another story entirely and is first and foremost a superhero book, only through the eyes of the new generation. Kid heroes put in kid hero situations, and communicating with their parents who encourage their heroics (...most of the time). I mean look at this, who else is the bestest mom who makes her son a snack for his Friday Night Metropolis patrols? It's delightful and you can't help but smile at this:

XyAO9Kn.jpg

More importantly, Super Sons shows them being kids, and not exaggerated everything is awesome kids who teach their parents a lesson a derp, they get put in their place all the time.

OE7uqxR.jpg

Damian carries his usual cockiness but Jon, being just like his dad, has that built-in bullshit detector that knows when to let his partner brag and when to call him on it.

Mz3nPMS.jpg

And Damian in return looks to toughen Jon up, because he would never say it outright but he respects Clark much in the same way Dick looked to Clark when he was Robin. You have a perfect example of heart and brain working together as they grow and are now in the grudging respect phase of their team-ups. The first arc dealt with a Kid Amazo while setting the groundwork with each respective family to let them continue to be heroes (although much more in Jon's case since Damian's been doing this so long he's died and resurrected already), and the most recent arc not only had the Teen Titans appear with nice continuity connections but brought back an old school DC villain named Kraklow that essentially used Superboy and Robin as beacons of hope for a whole new world of kid heroes who were fighting against clay putty capes who were empty vessels (a not so subtle jab at Marvel and DC for the past few years).

The art is phenomenal and very consistent, Jorge Jiminez jumped over from Superman to handle this book monthly and in 9 issues has drawn 7.5 of them, which is about the best you can do these days. But man is his work amazingly energetic and fun, Karl Kerschl and Olivier Coipel combined with fantastic coloring. And it's just the little things in his work, I can't see a lot of photo referencing or modeling in his art, everyone is drawn differently and with emotion that conveys the story without even reading the bubbles.

Pb3Sjj5.jpg

DdddsCl.jpg

The trade of the first five or six issues should be out now, I highly recommend it for kids and adults. You can't go wrong with this series.

Completely agree. Damian Wayne and Jonathan Kent work so well together. Like that needs to be a cartoon immediately.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Not much of a fan of Damian Wayne myself, the whole point of Robin is to provide a tempering influence on Batman, but Damian is WORSE than he is! The Justice League only barely tolerates Batmans crap, I cant imagine a bunch of teenagers dealing with Damians dickhead behavior for more than 10 minutes before they toss him into space

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    Not much of a fan of Damian Wayne myself, the whole point of Robin is to provide a tempering influence on Batman, but Damian is WORSE than he is! The Justice League only barely tolerates Batmans crap, I cant imagine a bunch of teenagers dealing with Damians dickhead behavior for more than 10 minutes before they toss him into space

That's why he has chemistry with numerous characters, and his bullshit is so entertaining.

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Read DC House of Horrors today and it wasn't good. Really bums me out because I was hoping for some creepy stuff, but all this has is gore all around. The Hal Jordan story was probably the most enjoyable one.

• Options
    In absolutely wild news Brian Michael Bendis has left Marvel and signed exclusively with DC.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/brian-michael-bendis-leaves-marvel-signs-exclusive-dea-1820213198

I am both shocked and excited as at this point I mostly read DC and indies. Marvel makes great movies though I cannot wait to see what Bendis does to shape the landscape of the DC universe.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    In absolutely wild news Brian Michael Bendis has left Marvel and signed exclusively with DC.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/brian-michael-bendis-leaves-marvel-signs-exclusive-dea-1820213198

I am both shocked and excited as at this point I mostly read DC and indies. Marvel makes great movies though I cannot wait to see what Bendis does to shape the landscape of the DC universe.

I wonder if him writing all the big characters finally took its toll and he got bored. Greener pastures, and all that.

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    In the spirit of the Republican Tax Cut I started reading the first trade of the Black Monday Murders. It's a comic by Hickman about human sacrifice and the Stock Market. It's pretty good! All hail, God Mammon.

Neaden on
  • Options
    HUGSANDGHUS'HUGSANDGHUS' Registered User new member
    I've been fishing around for awhile looking for a competitive price on Johns' JSA and Justice Society runs and finally pulled the trigger. I'm 36 issues thru and really enjoying it (return of hawkman was a lot of fun) but man- the paper quality/stock is so bad! Does this stock haunt all early 2000 singles put out by DC? I love the concept of collecting singles but will have to seriously consider picking up trades from this "era" in the future if they all have this shitty stock.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I got given a tablet for Christmas and suddenly my Marvel Unlimited subscription is proving a whole lot more valuable - I managed to get a reasonable chunk of comics read on my phone but now it's far more enjoyable!

So I got back to reading Ultimate Spider-Man (had read from the start up until just before Miles hung up the suit a while back) through Cataclysm and up to Secret Wars. I liked the team-ups with Jessica Drew, Cloak and Dagger and co in those books but really was not enjoying All-New Ultimates and gave up about halfway through that.

I've previously read bits of the stuff dealing with the Incursions but MU makes reading even the good big events a bit painful (unless I'm missing something?) so I'm thinking of just bypassing it and picking up the story afterwards - would this just be 'Spider-Man' in the post SW universe?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Crossposting from SE++

Started with a Top 10 for Marvel and had seperate ones for DC and Image, but that was a bad idea. So here's a mixed list of my 2017 comics (not including non-American comics) in no particular order. (Some are 2016 comics that released in trade in 2017)

Doom Patrol (DC comics)
    Everything I liked about Morrison’s Doom Patrol minus everything I disliked about Morrison’s Doom Patrol and with better art.

Flintstones (DC comics)
    Take a 50s comedy, turn it into a 60s cartoon by adding dinosaurs and puns, leave it overnight for 50 years, add some social satire, reheat with some genuine human warmth. Best served with a nice dark whiskey.

Descender (Image Comics)
    Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen’s story of a little robot boy who may hold the key to finally end the war between humans and robots. Beautifully illustrated by Nguyen. Started 2 years ago, but it keeps getting better and better.

Black Monday Murders (Image Comics)
    Technically came out in 2016, but I’m reading this in trades, so 2017 it is for me. For the ones among us who have been missing Hickman’s spreadsheets, tables and graphs. (Also contains generations of hermetic mages controlling the global economy at high risks to themselves.)

Black Panther (Marvel Comics)
    This post started out as a Top10 of Marvel comics of 2017 (with similar lists for Image and DC), but I had a lot to say about Black Panther and little about most other titles, even the ones I loved as much (Hawkeye, The Ultimates, the entry below this one) Black Panther started last year, but this year was when things really started rolling.
    My problem with Wakanda has always been the same as with Atlantis, Latveria and many other fictional countries; they usually are a bunch of stereotypes with a single gimmick and never feel like a real country. Priest tried to change this a little, but Coates is doing some real worldbuilding here. Most advanced nation in the world and isolationist don’t go together as history has shown again and again. The man who meditates at the top of a mountain for 10 year to find the meaning of life, will find that he was better served by finding another human being to exchange ideas with. So Wakanda is highly advanced and appears to be isolationist, but that advancement came at a cost to neighbouring nations and Wakanda’s traditions are not as immutable as the Wakandan conservatives pretend it is. This is the lesson T’Challa learns (with some help from his sister): study the past, learn its lessons, but don’t be beholden to it.

Moon Knight (Marvel Comics)
    2017 saw Jeff Lemire’s run on Moon Knight wrapping up. Supported by a veritable army of top-rated artists (first and foremost Greg Smallwood), this run was the opposite of Warren Ellis’ run of standalone issues: one long story about Marc Spector and his many alter egos. The art was my main draw, but there is so much more here. A new Moon Knight series has come out since then, but I haven't read it, the style and solicit didn't speak to me.

Sunstone (Image Comics)
    Another series wrapped up. Stjepan Sejic’s part romance, part comedy, part erotica, part drama about two women finding each other through bondage. This series just clicked with me on a level few other comics ever done. The characters all act like human beings, flawed in many ways, but their flaws make them only more endearing to me. Over 4 graphic novels Lisa and Ally have grown together and apart, will there be a happy ever after? (Well the series is told by Lisa in flashback, so that question is answered in the first 3 pages of the first GN.) No superheroes here, no villains either. No conquering aliens and killer robots. The only dragons and mages are in the MMORPG Ally plays. The real villains are fear and distrust. Can’t wait for Mercy.

The Wildstorm (DC Comics)
    I’m a big, big fan of late 90s/early 2000s Wildstorm. Ellis, Casey, Brubaker and others turned a military obsessed superhero universe into a post-superhero universe. So Ellis revived the universe I loved while recreating it. At the center is an uneasy truce between Internation Operations (spies and BlackOps, controlling the world from the shadows) and Skywatch (space exploration and supertechnology, looking down on Earth and looking to expand into the universe). In the middle there are the ones they don’t know about. The aliens and the special beings. Familiar faces at different places, familiar names with new faces. It’s a big puzzle and I really enjoy figuring out where all the pieces fit.

Seven to Eternity (Image Comics)
    It’s on a break now (back in Spring), but Remender and Opeña have created a fantasy universe that reminds me for some reason of Stephen King’s Dark Tower series. I want to state the premise, but the status quo seems to change every single issue so far. A weird and beautiful world and we’re dropped in the middle of it.

Mage: The Hero Denied (Image Comics) (this feels weird, I want to say Comico even though it's been 30 years)
    I’ve been waiting for years for this, maybe even decades. Matt Wagner’s Kevin Matchstick is in many ways Wagner himself, each series a phase in Wagner’s life told as a mythical battle between good and evil. After finding himself and finding love, in the final chapter of Mage, Kevin now has to leave his family to protect them, while the evil forces he has fought before have reformed. I hope Wagner sticks the landing (the title promises nothing but DOOOOM), but I’m happy to get this series anyway.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    So I make no secret of the fact that I love Sunstone, Stjepan Sejic's romance/comedy/erotica/drama series he does for Top Cow (and for free online on his deviantart page) and I'm not the only one: in the afterword of Top Cow's "Swing" (one of two series this post will be about), Matt Hawkins (Top Cow president and COO) says "Sunstone has sold more copies of the collected editions than any other comic book in Top Cow history... and that includes the heydey of the early 90s." Noting the success of Top Cow and how many female fans came to the Top Cow stand with the question if they had anything else like it, Hawkins decided to publish more titles of a similar tone.

Linda Sejic's webseries Blood Stain was the first one*. Now joined by Swing and Sugar. All four series are published as collections/OGNs instead of in singles like other American comics, avoiding the direct market mostly and aiming for bookstores and so far it seems to be working. (At least for Sunstone and Blood Stain, Swing and Sugar are too new to have any numbers published.) I really wanted to talk about both series/graphic novels (as I've just read the both of them) and the two comic threads on SE are not exactly the right place for it. This board itself has been pretty dead the last few years, but this thread fits the best (not confident enough to actually make a new thread for it and not sure it will receive any replies), so:

From the Ashes You Shall Rise, dear GV general comics thread

I'll start with Sugar first, even though it came out later. Because I actually like it the least of the four series and I want to end on a positive note. The only one of the four series that doesn't have the Sejics involved, even though it's unofficially named the Sejic-verse. Sugar is written by Hawkins and Jenni Cheung (husband and wife.) and has art by Yishan Li.
    It deals with student Julia Capello, a poor student who has several jobs to pay for her tuition and to support her recently unemployed mother and younger sister. Understandably, she has trouble making ends meet. Too busy with jobs and her study, Julia has had no time for any relationships recently. The other protagonist is John Markham, a middle-aged divorcee, who still has trouble getting over his wife. Halfway through the book, the two meet up and begin a relationship. John has heard from his business partner/friend Richard about sugaring, where a wealthy man will get companionship from a young woman (usually a student) in exchange for support with their tuition, rent and other needs. John wants to help Julia, but Julia is uncomfortable with the idea, feeling it too close to prostitution. She does really need to money though, so she agrees to the proposition with the understanding that all the money will be a loan, not a gift.
    Hawkins, usually a writer of sci-fi titles for Top Cow, admits how hard it is to write romance, even with the help from Jenni and it's most noticeable in this title. Both Julia and John don't really feel like characters, they are parts of the plot. Compare this to any of the main characters in the other three titles where we get to know them as people, their passions and hobbies. Both John and Julia are portrayed sympathetically (a bit too much so even, it's John's ex-wife who is portrayed as basically everything that was wrong with the relationship. So much that you would have trouble understanding what John ever saw in her. Then again, this is true of many relationships I have seen in real life. The series also sidesteps some of the more problematic aspects of the relationship between John and Julia, though they may be explored more in the next two installments.
    The art is also a big factor in why I'm liking this less than the other series, Yishan Li is not a bad artist, but her faces are not as expressive as those of the Sejics, whose mix of cartoony and realistic art somehow works at making the characters feel more like real persons.
    Also a super minor complaint, the story is divided into 5 chapters, but each chapter seems to end at a random point. It was written as a single story, so the need to divide it into chapters feels weird and if it needed to be divided you expect the endpoints to be the major moments in the story. You even have 5 major moments in the story: the moment the two meet, the moment the relationship starts, the moment Julia decides to accept the proposal, the moment the ex-wife shows up, the end. Those would easily have been the major breaks in the story to start a new chapter each time.

So on to Swing and it's quite a difference. Still Hawkins and Cheung writing, but Linda Sejic is drawing (interesting to note Linda Sejic is the first creator credited on the cover. In American comics it's usually the writer first/artist second, while in Europe, it usually is artist first/writer second (though there are many exceptions to that rule). Cathy Chang goes to college and is finally out under her strict mothers supervision. Time to meet some boys. But the boys are mostly disappointing, until she meets teaching assistant Dan Lincoln. The two hit it off and Cathy even convinces her mother that Dan is a good catch. And then she ends up pregnant. Jump several years, Cathy and Dan are married and have two children. Both are happy with their life, their partner and their children, but the spark has gone out of the relationship. Cathy finds out about swinging and wants to spice up the relationship by trying it out.
    The writing in this just is so much better, both Cathy and Dan are established as characters with interests and passions outside of the relationship (for instance, Dan loves poetry and we see a short crossover with Blood Stain and Sunstone as he is in the same MMORPG guild as characters from those two titles). Both characters are sympathetic, but not flawless. They acknowledge that there are problems with their relationship, problems which they are both responsible for. Their first visit to the club is awkward. Sejic's more cartoony art works wonders with making the characters feel like actual human beings, but I think that Hawkins/Cheung feel more engaged with the content in this than in Sugar (the afterword has Hawkins talk about the research they did and the clubs they visited and some scenes from the comic are taken from their own experiences). I think Sunstone is still the best of the four titles, but I enjoyed Swing and will be getting the next parts.

* = Blood Stain itself is a bit of the odd duck of the four. The other three are all focused on romance and non-conventional relationships. Blood Stain is more slice-of-life/comedy. Unless Vlad and Elliott will be getting it on in later volumes... but that's just... no... Vlad is so not ready for any type of sexual relationship.

Note: All four series are intended for adult audiences. In case of Blood Stain it's just the slice-of-life story would hold little interest to younger readers IMHO, but there is no adult content in it: no sex, nudity or violence. Sunstone has some nudity in it (which I guess by American standards immediately turns it into an Adults Only title, though the BDSM aspects may be more of a factor in getting the Adult Only tag. I've seen some reviewers describe it as pornographic, but I guess we have very different definitions of porn.)
    Sugar is a bit more explicit than Sunstone, but has no BDSM, just naked people and R-rated sex.
    Swing is significantly more explicit than the other titles, so beware if that bothers you.

• Options
    With SE++ comic threads death (or as close to it), I'll just revive this one, because there were a couple of comics I read (relatively) recently and want to talk about, but there are no real threads to do so at the moment.

Don't know if I have the energy to talk about them all, so let's start with:

Grendel: Devil's Odyssey
    : The first thread I ever made on Penny Arcade was about Grendel. It got no replies (or maybe 1 or so). Anyway, Grendel is written and drawn by Matt Wagner (these days with help from his son Brennan who does the colouring). It started out as a villain protagonist story, but over the years Grendel has been many different people spread over several centuries. The one thing all Grendel's had in common was that they were all creatures of violence, who in the end doomed themselves (maybe Brian Li Sung was not, as he recognised that Grendel itself was an outside force controlling him and chose death rather than being controlled).

In Devil's Odyssey, Wagner send Grendel-Prime, a zealous cyborg in a far future, in outer space to find a new home for humanity. The first five issues of this 8 issue mini were kinda by numbers: Grendel and his companion drone land on a planet, find that the planet in the end is not suitable for one reason or another and move on. I was worried that Wagner was wrapping up both his series (Mage, his other series, wrapped up a year or two ago and Grendel Prime, the last of Wagner's Grendels, was last seen in 1995, after which Wagner went back to write about Hunter Rose, the first Grendel, again. So it felt like he wanted to wrap up the ongoing story of Grendel as well) to get ready for retirement and both would have been lackluster endings of great series. But the last 3 issues all had me invested in this title again (and I think Wagner himself reignited his interest, because he immediately announced 3 upcoming Grendel mini-series that continue the story of Grendel-Prime).
    Each of the last 3 issues had something different that made them great to me and I need to get into spoilers to say exactly what it was:

Issue #6: Grendel and his drone arrive on a planet occupied by 3 distinct alien races. Each form of conflict (personal or idealogical) is resolved by a duel to the death.
    And then Grendel-Prime does the unexpected: he's basically a T-800 Terminator in a medieval society so he could easily take control over the planet, but he decides to change this society and becomes a pacifist: stepping in as a champion to represent those too weak to defend themselves in thse duels and then receiving all blows with no harm to himself, but refusing to harm his opponents. Those he saves start to spread the word of this new champion who refuses to fight and slowly the society is changed. And for a new reader this will not have the impact that it had for somebody like me who has been reading Grendel for over 30 years. But after centuries of Grendel's deciding that violence and force are their only weapons, we have one that decides to completely change this attitude.

Issue #7: Grendel has gathered a following and has made his way to the capitol city of the planet to confront the planet's greatest, undefeated champion.
    And it turns out the Champion is a frog-like creature who has no combat skills at all. Also he's Donald Trump. Like, it's not even subtle. Grendel looks on in confusion as the little frog talks nonsense that somehow makes the masses belief that he's indeed a great champion and fighter. Unable to harm Grendel at all, he directs his own followers at the innocent person that Grendel had sworn to protect. And at this point he had enough. Grendel gives up his new-found pacifism and he kills the creature. And then all turn on Grendel, so he kills them too. And then Grendel and drone leave the planet, certain that humanity will never be able to live in peace on this planet as one human massacred hundreds of the inhabitants. And Grendel seems not to be sad, but just mostly annoyed that the people were following that little shit. And I don't know if there is a moral here, but I think this is the most I ever sympathized with a Grendel.

Issue #8: Grendel's voyage into space continues
    And is stopped in its place by Iain M. Banks Culture. The name has been changed, but everything about them from names, appearance, philosophy and organisation, it's the Culture. And as a big fan of Banks and the Culture, their appearance was unexpected, but very welcome. And the unstoppable Grendel Prime is suddenly outclassed in a way he has never been before. The Culture representatives tell him that they just want to talk and establish that he (and by extension humanity) is too violent to be allowed to expand into space, so they sending him back to Earth, but offer his drone to stay among them. And as Grendel arrives on Earth, he has been gone for 400 years; most of Earth is now uninhabited and the reign of the Grendel Khans is now over. And that's where the next series will kick off.

• Options
    Like I said in the new comics thread, I wanted to write a bit about Fine Print, the new OGN by Stjepan Šejić. Set in the same "universe" as his ongoing Sunstone series and a couple of other series (Punderworld and Blood Stain by Linda Šejić first and foremost, but also Sugar and Swing, mentioned above).

This one is more closely related to Punderworld btw, as it has mythical and supernatural elements, while the other four titles are all deal with more mundane issues, but the series can still be read independently of the others (all links are just minor details in the wider world).

The usual warning: Like Sunstone, this comic contains "scenes of an adult nature" as the Americans tend to say. Like Sunstone sex is an important part of the story and with a lot of the main cast being Succubi and Incubi, you're going to see some nipples and bottoms.

It's part 1 so it's mostly setup; we have a prologue and six chapters (though Chapter Six is just a few pages) to introduce us to this world and its rules:

Prologue
    Fantasy writer Rachel Simms walks into a bookshop and notices that Meryl, the shopkeeper has horns and a tail, but nobody else seems to notice. When asking her about them, Meryl reveals that she is a succubus (note: Not a Demon, this is very important to her). In this world, Succubi, Incubi (basically the same thing as far as I can tell and they all seem capable of changing their forms, so no real difference between the two) and Cupids are the descendents of Eros, the god of love and desire (with the Cubi focusing on Desire and the Cupids focusing on Love, though some of the old Greek Gods seem also to have changed from deity to Cubi, more about that later). Only special people can see through her disguise though, so Meryl offers Rachel a very rare Golden Contract. Rachel accepts and an incubus appears, Cale Morningstar, the highest Incubus, who offers her unimaginable pleasure. Slight problem: Rachel is asexual, but the Incubus is confident and welcomes the challenge. 2 years later, Cale still hasn't returned to his realm.

Chapters 1-6
    In the next chapters we're introduced to the various characters that make will make up the story and there are quite a few: Lauren Thomas, a supermodel who abandoned the man she loved years ago to focus on fame and fortune and now regrets that choice, seems to be the main character.
    Then there are Thadeus and Leliah, two Cubi who are both striving to become the new top Cubi now that Cale has disappeared and while Cubi should only be interested in Desire and not Love, both of them have their own lovers that they care more about than they should.
    There is Meryl, who is in a heap of trouble because she gave Cale an unsolveable Golden Contract and her mothers Bauphette (aka the former Fury Alecto turned Cubi) and Charon (the ferry-woman turned Cubi) who rank above the others and really want to protect their daughter from the fallout of another Golden Contract.

Overall
    In Punderworld (and this was a thing I liked the most in Punderworld) and in Fine Print, all the divine characters have "Crowns", a combination of horns and/or halo's (appearance depending on which part of the divide the owner is from, but also their own feelings at the time). Linda, whose art is a bit more cartoony, used these to great effect in Punderworld to show-not-tell character emotions with Persephone (whose crown as Goddess of Spring and Fertility, is made of leaves and flowers or weeds and thorns depending on her inner feelings). Stjepan's art is less cartoony, but the crowns and their appearance still form an important part of the story.

It's a Stjepan Šejić story so we get a lesson on what BDSM actually is (I don't mind these): A depressed Lauren enters a BDSM club and asks several dommes (in succession) to use and abuse her so that she can forget her past. All three refuse her, having enough experience to tell a submissive from a depressed person in need of therapy.

It's both funny and endearing, but a small glimpse of the future at the start of the story shows that things may not have a happy ending like Sunstone had. Eagerly awaiting part 2, but it'll probably be a while.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    So... I've heard good things about the Dark Multiverse stuff, and decided to pick up the Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Crisis on Infinite Earths issue. I had heard it had the All-Star Squadron in it, and I love them. It name-drops them, but that's about it. Other than a scene of a dead All_Star member, it's mostly JSA members from the Golden Age and 70's.

In short, this is torture porn. It is just a book to showcase gory deaths, at the hands of what amounts to a no-name villain for the DC line (Surtur, the fire giant.) There are multiple scenes of my beloved Golden Age heroes and their children (also heroes in their own right) being messily killed and basically not acting like the heroes I've known all these years. No plans, except one, which lasts half a page before we learn it had no chance at working. I have no need to see a power ring go through someone's skull. Or see Hawkwoman used as a battering ram, while she holds onto her mace, and the mace knocks Dr Fate's head and helmet off. It all just seems so unnecessary.

What has become of my DC? Did they really learn all the wrong lessons from the 90's? Marvel got it. They realized people wanted colorful costumes and heroism, but DC seems stuck on ultra-violence for it's own sake, with no thought to an actual story. I am disappointed.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Paper Girls the complete series is available and it rules.

Between this and SaGa I'm all in on Brian K Vaughn.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Paper Girls the complete series is available and it rules.

Between this and SaGa I'm all in on Brian K Vaughn.
    If you’re not already acquainted with it, treat yourself to Y: The Last Man.

Sneaks on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I decided I should finally read Preacher. Man I dunno. It'll have like 3 good solid issues and then there's a conversation about how real men are tough and protect their women, or how if you call your significant other your partner your an asshole or how writers are shitty people who think their deep. Or there's a lot of weird gross out and sex stuff (including rape) for no reason.

Garth Ennis can get the good bones of a story and fill it with deal that utterly takes me out of said story

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Garth Ennis has talent that does not make up for his opinions

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Garth Ennis has talent that does not make up for his opinions

Garth Ennis has got one of the biggest asterisks next to his name in terms of ideas versus execution.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Judge Jessie WJudge Jessie W Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I decided I should finally read Preacher. Man I dunno. It'll have like 3 good solid issues and then there's a conversation about how real men are tough and protect their women, or how if you call your significant other your partner your an asshole or how writers are shitty people who think their deep. Or there's a lot of weird gross out and sex stuff (including rape) for no reason.

Garth Ennis can get the good bones of a story and fill it with deal that utterly takes me out of said story

You should probably stick it out, because the arc of that book is not "Jesse is a cool guy who is right about masculinity".
    His entire character arc is about him letting go of his macho bullshit and realizing its bad[ and is in fact the thing that keeps pulling him away from the woman he loves and that he needs to let go of that if he ever wants to be happy

Ennis spends a lot of his career writing about that kind of Hard Man Doing Hard Things, going all the way back to his time writing Dredd, and almost universally those guys are absolute monsters at worst or deeply flawed people at best. Preacher falls into the latter. It's still one of my least favorite books of his, becuase I think the plot is incredibly bad and 90s edgy but I adore every single part where the plot stops and we just spend time listening to these fucked up weirdos working through their shit. The last issue genuinely makes me cry. Whether any of this is worth toughing it out for is up to you.

Disclaimer I am absolutely fascinated by Ennis, even the things I think are absolute dogshit, and have read I think every major thing he's done outside of his Dredd (which I'm working on, I'll get to it eventually as part of reading all of 2000ad)

Judge Jessie W on
  • Options
    ColanutColanut Siedge WealdRegistered User regular
    Last summer I picked up Simon Roy's Habitat while on vacation in another state. I like the art style and theme, and then realized that he worked on the Prophet reboot for Image with a similar art and theme. So I got to web searching and found out he has another book called The First Knife. I guess the theme is Sci-fi, but where humanity is diminished and rebuilding. I'm not sure what the art style is called. But it got me excited to find new things to read and order the TP from my local shop because both my tablet and Comixology died last year.

Saturday I pick up The Autumlands (2 volumes). It's not the same artist or writer, Kurt Busiek, but pretty cool quasi animals as people in a fantasy/magic world. But then some human get summoned up cause they need an ultra violent future warrior. I hope book 3 gets written. This is a re-buy because of my digi-pocalypse.