As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wizards: The Dumb Nerds That Can. An Melding Guide

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Magic is the technology you don't understand.
    Like my grandmother and computers.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Goku is some yet unreleased barbarian subclass

going super saiyan is clearly a rage feature

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Goku is some yet unreleased barbarian subclass

going super saiyan is clearly a rage feature

yeah but a lot of goku's better transformations require a lot of self control

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Right. He's a Monk, clearly. He's a martial artist who specializes in utilizing spiritual energy (usually his own but sometimes others) to affect changes in the world, he accomplishes this through discipline and training (and being an overpowered alien)

Goku doesn't use magic. Babidi uses magic. Baba uses magic.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    So does that mean Buu is a wizard

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Are orks magic.

They kind of do the same ignorance of impossibility makes everything possible thing.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Are orks magic.

They kind of do the same ignorance of impossibility makes everything possible thing.

Depends if you differentiate psionics from magic. It can be argued that their actions are a form of sorcery, but they're undoubtedly not wizards.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Magic is the technology you don't understand.
    Like my grandmother and computers.

I made a one-shot a while ago where my party played a game within the game called "Asteroids and Aliens"

it used standard D&D rules only bows were laser guns, swords were light sabers and magic was technology.

The cleric punched up a spell on her tablet then generated it using light/3D printing technology.

• Options

no, buu is a demon.

just because something can use magic doesn't make them a wizard. just like everything with a combustion engine isn't a combine.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »

no, buu is a demon.

just because something can use magic doesn't make them a wizard. just like everything with a combustion engine isn't a combine.

FdCcG8o.jpg

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    What about Melding? Is Melding actually a wizard?
    Certainly seems to know a lot about the wizards and their arcane arts for a person who's not a wizard.

I'm not accusing Melding of anything here.
    I'm just asking questions.

Meant to get back to this, no.

not a wizard, dabble din wizardry, but honestly the looming threat of a Wizard Duel is a bit much. Plus, i have other ways to access magic.

specially through artifacts and invoking, which is a bit like a dnd sorcerer as it is bloodline related, but in this case caused by outside sources and involuntary life saving surgery.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Wizards have a strange way of tricking kids into coming with them and stealing them into space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwtrfTwE1V0

Melding, expert of wizards, please explain why this is a thing.

• Options
    That's a genie, not a wizard.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    That's a genie, not a wizard.

So it is. My attempt to trick you has been defeated, you truly are an expert!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Melding.

Tell me about genies

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    Melding.

Tell me about genies

you will have to wait for the genie thread for that. this is the wizard thread.

the important thing to remember is that genies aren't wizards. they are categorized as demons and are extremely dangerous, though typically not malevolent.

• Options
    generally not malevolent? feels like you've got a 50-50 shot when you polish a container these days of getting an asshole who will interpret wishes in the most painfully rules-lawyer-who-hates-you fashion possible

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    generally not malevolent? feels like you've got a 50-50 shot when you polish a container these days of getting an asshole who will interpret wishes in the most painfully rules-lawyer-who-hates-you fashion possible

you have to remember they don't have the culture context for your words, just their literal meanings. some take delight from torturing the meaning of words to fuck over those who make wishes, most just know what you meant in context.

imagine if you could only communicate with machine translations. that is what the genie is typically doing.

also being imprisoned in a bottle for a thousand years would drive anything insane. so there's that to take into account as well.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Torchlight 2 has an evil genie and a good genie during chapter 2. Though the good genie is kind of a dick, just a bit, with how he sends the hero about to do things.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    you don't want to combine spellcasters and genies

that's how you get a jafar

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    you don't want to combine spellcasters and genies

that's how you get a jafar

http://www.clickhole.com/article/we-regret-inform-you-it-jafar-4012

• Options
    gID8AEd.jpg

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Dhalsim was mentioned earlier, but I'd hazard he's a cleric, as his fiery breath attacks come from Agni's blessing.
    And most definitely not from eating too spicy curry as some would want you to believe.

Is Street Fighter's Rose some form of wizard?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Dhalsim was mentioned earlier, but I'd hazard he's a cleric, as his fiery breath attacks come from Agni's blessing.
    And most definitely not from eating too spicy curry as some would want you to believe.

Is Street Fighter's Rose some form of wizard?

Pretty sure natural gifts fall under sorcerer or something else.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Are there any fighting games that accurately depict wizards?

• Options
    probably not since they all try to make their characters look cool, which is antithetical to any description of students of the arcane

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    BlazBlue, Nine?

At least I assume "rain fireballs and shit" is accurate.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Tessa from Warzards?

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    A Sorcerer is a lot like a Wizard, only their connection to the arcane is more natural and doesn't require study, correct?

Also, my other current tabletop RPG character is a spellcaster, though I would classify her in the more general "mage" category since she doesn't use a spellbook or anything... maybe she's a sorcerer?

• Options
    A Sorcerer is a lot like a Wizard, only their connection to the arcane is more natural and doesn't require study, correct?

Also, my other current tabletop RPG character is a spellcaster, though I would classify her in the more general "mage" category since she doesn't use a spellbook or anything... maybe she's a sorcerer?

in dnd that is correct, under this system no. sorcery is a category of spellcraft, so anyone who casts sorcery is a sorcerer.

I should probably go to greater lengths to brand these types of threads to not just imply they're all inter connected.

I actually have a half diagram of spell caster shit for the MRE stuff. but i try not to break character too often in these threads, this one i'm just real tired of "is Ryu a wizard?" that i don't care about keeping up appearances.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options

in dnd that is correct, under this system no. sorcery is a category of spellcraft, so anyone who casts sorcery is a sorcerer.

I should probably go to greater lengths to brand these types of threads to not just imply they're all inter connected.

I actually have a half diagram of spell caster shit for the MRE stuff. but i try not to break character too often in these threads, this one i'm just real tired of "is Ryu a wizard?" that i don't care about keeping up appearances.

Sorry, I couldn't restrain myself from shitposting.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Though off topic, I want to comment about the genies in bottles thing.

Most genies aren't bad folk! Super magical and definitely foreign to humans, but not inherently bad or out to fuck you over. They are not native to bottles or lamps either. Bottles and lamps are where decent law abiding genies imprison really bad criminal genies. It's like genie Super-Max.

So if you find a genie in a bottle or other small container, it's like a 99.99% chance that it's in there for a reason and is an asshole genie.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Why do Wizards like towers? Or at least why are they associated with towers?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Some wizards call themselves mages because of low selfesteem.

Goku lives in a poorly managed universe where magical effects can be directly thwarted by physique and elbow-grease.

if projecting your soul into a beam isn't magic what is

fireballs

ie dhalsim is a wizard

Dhalsim is a siddhi-user, but fireballs would have to be a pretty advanced application of that if he doesn't dabble in other arts. There are conflicting statements.
    Atman-studies should give him leeway to work around source-restrictions.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Why do Wizards like towers? Or at least why are they associated with towers?

Because they fucking love that Rainbow song

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    How do you feel about people describing cool or amazing things as wizard

'woah that van is so wizard!'

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I feel that they are Darmak.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    How do you feel about people describing cool or amazing things as wizard

'woah that van is so wizard!'

Propaganda direct at kids and distributed by magic-users, clearly

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    here's a question

do install wizards count as technomancers

Miss me? Find me on: