As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Happy [chat]oween!

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I just assume that Italy only has gelato in the sense of the style of ice cream, because they wouldn't make disgusting north american ice cream, which is much too free

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    toyota corolla would probably be the blandest flavor of gelato

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    im pretty sure gelato is just a fancy way of saying jell-o

shark no

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    I have that HLA B27 thing

As do my brother and my father

I've got other fun stuff going on too but that one's responsible for most of my pain problems

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    user: I can't log into my email.
    NBA2k Tech: OK have you tried [first.last@company.com]?
    user: yes it doesn't work
    NBA2k Tech: all right, the directions we sent say to try putting CORPDOM\username in the user field, did you try that?
    user: yes, it doesn't work either!
    NBA2k Tech: ok well email works on your phone, so we know the password is right. Let me share your screen and we'll see what's happening.

user:
    M37pB0Hl.png

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I have been bamboozled. I bought a box of white mushrooms from the grocery store and all the plump, perfect mushrooms on top hid the little bruised dud mushrooms on the bottom.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I just assume that Italy only has gelato in the sense of the style of ice cream, because they wouldn't make disgusting north american ice cream, which is much too free

For ice cream at the ice cream store, you only get italian style ice cream, but you do have a lot of ice cream on sticks and like ice cream tacos and those are also gelato
    For example those Magnum premium ice creams on sticks are the same formulation in Italy and the US and are just gelato, and if you speak italian but go to the US and get Ben and Jerry's it would also be gelato....

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I have been bamboozled. I bought a box of white mushrooms from the grocery store and all the plump, perfect mushrooms on top hid the little bruised dud mushrooms on the bottom.

All mushrooms are bruised duds.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

as are we all

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Some mushrooms are more dud-ier than others.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    im pretty sure gelato is just a fancy way of saying jell-o

shark no

oh you think you're better than us huh

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »

For ice cream at the ice cream store, you only get italian style ice cream, but you do have a lot of ice cream on sticks and like ice cream tacos and those are also gelato
    For example those Magnum premium ice creams on sticks are the same formulation in Italy and the US and are just gelato, and if you speak italian but go to the US and get Ben and Jerry's it would also be gelato....

But only when speaking in Italian. You wouldn't call that gelato in English, and in fact the word has a different, more restrictive meaning in English than Italian, and if you fall Ben and Jerry's gelato you are a pervert

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Depending on the specific Sicilian dialect, the item may be spelled:

muffuletta[5][6][7][8][9]
    mufuletta[10]
    muffiletta[6]
    mufiletta[10]
    muffulettu[7][9][11][12]
    muffuletu[6]
    muffulittuni[10]
    muffulitteḍḍu[10]

This could be one of those brain power meme pictures.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    It's dark in Italy. And probably full of terrors

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    So when given a polynomial I can fairly reliably turn it into a Taylor series. But how do I get the infinite series sigma notation?

https://imgur.com/a/AXFE2

I’m also fine using the ratio test to find most of the interval of convergence on the right. But I need to know how to describe the polynomial in infinite series sigma notation.

Help?

• Options

But only when speaking in Italian. You wouldn't call that gelato in English, and in fact the word has a different, more restrictive meaning in English than Italian, and if you fall Ben and Jerry's gelato you are a pervert

Yes. However, my original usage was "are you also focaccia or is that very low priority compared to ice cream?" (in response to "I am gelato"), which works both with gelato as a subset of ice cream, as per the expected american usage, or with gelato as synonymous with ice cream, as per the italian usage, which is not entirely inappropriate in this context given that Gooey is in Rome and I'm known to speak italian.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    user: I can't log into my email.
    NBA2k Tech: OK have you tried [first.last@company.com]?
    user: yes it doesn't work
    NBA2k Tech: all right, the directions we sent say to try putting CORPDOM\username in the user field, did you try that?
    user: yes, it doesn't work either!
    NBA2k Tech: ok well email works on your phone, so we know the password is right. Let me share your screen and we'll see what's happening.

user:
    M37pB0Hl.png

I just got a call from a customer who says they've had no internet since July 24th.

It takes about 30 seconds to find out their internet works fine.

They've had no e-mail since July 24th.

And they have a gmail account, not an ISP provided one.

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    So when given a polynomial I can fairly reliably turn it into a Taylor series. But how do I get the infinite series sigma notation?

I’m also fine using the ratio test to find most of the interval of convergence on the right. But I need to know how to describe the polynomial in infinite series sigma notation.

Help?

I'm not fully understanding your question. You are turning a polynomial into a Taylor series right? A Taylor series is an infinite series by definition.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

They're called gelati

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Portami il gelato in una tazza

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options

Help?

I'm not fully understanding your question. You are turning a polynomial into a Taylor series right? A Taylor series is an infinite series by definition.

On the left I have a closed form. Then I have its infinite series in sigma notation. Then I have its power series expanded as a polynomial.

Given the original closed form or the polynomial expansion, how do I write the series in sigma notation?

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Oooh

I love the chili oil on these noodles

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options

Yes. However, my original usage was "are you also focaccia or is that very low priority compared to ice cream?" (in response to "I am gelato"), which works both with gelato as a subset of ice cream, as per the expected american usage, or with gelato as synonymous with ice cream, as per the italian usage, which is not entirely inappropriate in this context given that Gooey is in Rome and I'm known to speak italian.

ACCEPTABLE

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

They're called gelati

Beware the manicotti
    for through their dark power comes the illuminati
    #woke

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

Help?

can you give an example problem, preferably with answer

sig.gif
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

Help?

if you mean "how do you get from the expanded infinite series to the sigma notation", then uh, I don't know how to explain it

is that the part you're having trouble with?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    @spool32

at the last place I worked some asshole decided to be cute by naming an internal service 'contoso'

you mother fucker you

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Delmain wrote: »

Help?

if you mean "how do you get from the expanded infinite series to the sigma notation", then uh, I don't know how to explain it

Yes

• Options

Help?

On the left I have a closed form. Then I have its infinite series in sigma notation. Then I have its power series expanded as a polynomial.

Given the original closed form or the polynomial expansion, how do I write the series in sigma notation?

The expansion you will just have to look at patterns. See what is increasing by every time, set that to some function of n, etc.

I agree with ppups in that we might be better able to guide you with an example you are struggling with.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i am the angry cat red lantern

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

Help?

if a polynomial can be written in a closed form at all wouldn't it necessarily be of finite degree?

as for the sigma notation, if you have a Taylor series it must be of the form:
    9e4e3f2a8f914c3a03ad35da7cb877d700a614ea
    wikipedia wrote:
    where n! denotes the factorial of n and f(n)(a) denotes the nth derivative of f evaluated at the point a. The derivative of order zero of f is defined to be f itself and (x − a)0 and 0! are both defined to be 1. When a = 0, the series is also called a Maclaurin series.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    we just say ice cream

maybe italian ice cream when referring to specifically, well, italian ice cream

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i am the angry cat red lantern

But DUE is the angry cat red lantern

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Also chu not that this is helpful at all, but in my experience Taylor series are some of the most useful things to come out of calculus. Like some stuff from calc you don't use at all, but there are many irl situations where it's like, 'yo let's just use the first couple of terms of the Taylor series in order to represent this thing.' I guess what I am saying is that it's something to feel good about learning, unlike some other math things which are like, who cares about this at all outside this class...

credeiki on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    it is really hard to do this without an example but in general sigma is the big symbol, n=0 at the bottom, infinity at the top, and some equation that for a given value of n gives you on of the terms between the plus sign of the infinite series

so take two terms, the second and the third maybe, and write the third in terms of the second

that should give you the n parts of the interior of the sigma. the first term in the series gives you most of the rest. There's a little bit of inspection involved.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The trick to solving Taylor series is to be swift.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    ...so this was a weird convo.

"Hey you were supposed to meet me today."
    "We were?"
    "Yeah you called the meeting 9 am then put it off cause you were trapped in an airport."
    "Oh yeah, I can't remember why. Don't worry about it."
    "So your not here to fire me? You're the hatchet man that's what you do."
    "Man I am way to busy right now to deal with that."
    "ok..."

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Delmain wrote: »

Help?

Yes

the examples in your image link cover most of the types of patterns you should get. due to the definition of a taylor series you should expect to have some form of n in the exponent and some form of n or n! in the denominator. the rest should be some function of x that is repeating in every term. add a (-1)^n to the front if the sign flips every other term.

Sir Landshark on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    The trick to solving Taylor series is to be swift.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
This discussion has been closed.