As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] The Nightmare Before Christmas- Game Over! Mafia Win! Poor Jack!

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    If Hat From An Old Bat is used by an individual who has been wed to someone via Rusted Diamond Rings and that person is killed; would the Hat still protect them from harm or would they still die ?

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Anyways, what's the vote count? It's between Sir Fab and Spoit? I'll go Spoit, Sir Fab wanting people to vote for them is scary.

We should figure out a way to exploit the gift-giving to find mafia.

Hmm the problem with that is that it might be liable to expose specials too. If we have any, that is. What with the gifts duplicating the effects

steam_sig.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    Anyways, what's the vote count? It's between Sir Fab and Spoit? I'll go Spoit, Sir Fab wanting people to vote for them is scary.

We should figure out a way to exploit the gift-giving to find mafia.

Hmm the problem with that is that it might be liable to expose specials too. If we have any, that is. What with the gifts duplicating the effects

That is maybe a good point, yes.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Egos wrote: »
    If Hat From An Old Bat is used by an individual who has been wed to someone via Rusted Diamond Rings and that person is killed; would the Hat still protect them from harm or would they still die ?

Funny, I didn't think about it but the hat could since it is a guard. But that's only if its only one source of damage hits them.

Edit: Thinking on this more, it also depends on damage target. Player A and B are wed. A uses the Hat. If A is the target, both A and B live. If B is the target, B dies and A lives.

Grunt's Ghosts on
    1 Hour Remaining and I'm missing a lot of votes and orders. You think the clown with the tear-away face is scary, wait until I have to unleash Inactivus on Day One!

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Scares can be banked from one night to the next to get higher-value items, yes?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Scares can be banked from one night to the next to get higher-value items, yes?

Yes, and you can buy multiple gifts the same night, including multiples of the same gift.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Spoit

Is there a vote count?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Regarding the rusty diamond rings, can people be wed to multiple partners?

For shame all you people joining the bandwagon. Is one scare truly worth railroading poor Spoit?

Oh dear, did that sound red? I hope it didn't sound too red.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    @KetBra Quick & dirty;
    • Spoit (10)
    • Sir Fab (3)
    • kime (2)
    • Romantic Undead (2)
    • mrpaku, Preda, Raiden333, and Virgil at 1 each

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    10 minutes left!

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Geez I made a simple request and this is what I got out of it?

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    Votes Closed!

edited October 2017
    Night One- Snake Eyes and Good Boy Byes

https://youtu.be/Yw0aoVpFCDw

As the party goers when about talking about the Doctor's Brain and it's possible whereabouts, a strange scent of gingerbread filled the air. When the creatures gathered to see what Jack had planned, they found KetBra (Oogie Boogie) stuffed full of little brown sugary houses, with a note saying "That's hopefully the last time I hear that song, Potato Sack!"

As the creatures began to remove the gingerbread houses out of his lifeless sack body, they made a worst discovery, the ectoplasm of Preda (Zero) stuffed deep inside his guts. Seemed Oogie Boogie's last meal was Jack's faithful companion. Jack in a fit of rage pointed to a nearby party-goer and said "That mask looks like one of Oogie's henchmen! You must have helped him! Begone from Halloween Town, Egos" But Jack felt really bad when the party-goer dropped his mask and he saw it wasn't one of Oogie's henchmen.

The party-goers decided that they should find the fiends responsible for these terrible acts. They gathered around and pushed Spoit into the well. The Easter Bunny's bones rattled as the party-goer smaked into the bottom of the dry, stoney floor below.

The Dead
    KetBra (Oogie Boogie) Stuffed
    Preda (Zero) He Wasn't Good Enough Boy
    Egos (Party-goer) Wore The Wrong Mask
    Spoit (Party-goer) Is A Drop In The Bucket

I didn't get Votes from @MrTLicious @JPants @CesareB and @Cythraul. Another night of no votes and Inactivus will be hidding under your bed!

PMs still going out.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    My apologies! Surprise vet visit kinda derailed my day. Won't happen again!

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    OoOooOooOooOoO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy9ha3qLU8Y

OOOoOooOoOOoO

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Sorry to hear it JPants, hope things work out alright.

Woof, bad results. At least that's one mafia down, but I have a feeling losing a blue-role isn't going to be anything good.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    That's a lot of day one deaths.

Zero being Jack's dog (per Wikipedia) makes me assume he was one of our specials. With Egos' death being the same blue they must have been our vig.

That blue coloring seems weird though. It's been a while but aren't vigs usually the same color as the village?

edited October 2017
    All PMs should be out. If you didn't get one, your Scares have been unchanged. Vote closes at 10pm tomorrow.

Grunt's Ghosts on
    edited October 2017
    I seem to recall games using blue for vigs, and in a broader sense, village specials often being differently-colored.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Specials are often a distinct color from villagers

Steam profile
    Zero is Jack's pet dog ghost, who has a glowing mini-jack o'lantern nose that lets him fill in for Rudolph.
    97p3lbkjpyan.gif
    No idea what role he'd be, but I doubt it would've been the vig. Seer almost seems more likely. :(

camo_sig2-400.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    The colouring of special roles of almost always left up to the host to decide. There have been games where the colours are all the same, there's no colours at all, each player had their own colour, etc.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    The narration leads me to believe that Egos, whose name was in green, was just a regular villager, but he was wearing a mask that made him look like someone else... i.e. the flesh mask.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone was granted a few scares early on and used them.

Provisional vote on !H3Knuckles for getting that wrong :P

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Sorry for not being here, but I think you'll all agree that my pumpkin carving was worth it:
    4Hypk5y.jpg?1

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    I'm shocked we couldn't coordinate around a kime vote.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    LostNinja for starting the Spoit vote.

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Ok, day 1 over, so I'll say now what I was tempted to say yesterday.

Expect bandwagons people. For us villagers, the only way to reliably get scares is by being on the winning vote. The other ways involve killing people, which generally needs more scares and isn't all that reliable.

I'm not saying everyone jump on one bandwagon and stick there, it's still important to discuss, but maybe we'll need to put a little less emphasis on the bandwagon votes that take out a villager.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    oOoOooOoOOoOooO
    giphy.gif
    Also
    giphy.gif

OoOooOOoooOOoOo

Egos on
    edited October 2017
    The narration leads me to believe that Egos, whose name was in green, was just a regular villager, but he was wearing a mask that made him look like someone else... i.e. the flesh mask.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone was granted a few scares early on and used them.

Getting what wrong? I've been talking about Preda, whose name was in blue and who was specifically identified as Zero.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Using narration as a guide, Egos was killed by Jack. So, that likely means whoever got the Jack role is the Vig.

No insight into whatever the Zero role was obviously, but given they were blue, that looks village special.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

Getting what wrong? I've been talking about Preda, whose name was in blue and who was specifically identified as Zero.

I think he is assuming someone had more scares, and that you said somewhere that no one would have any gifts tonight? I think its unlikely anyone was playing with gifts, and that the "mask" was simply a narrative choice.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Using narration as a guide, Egos was killed by Jack. So, that likely means whoever got the Jack role is the Vig.

No insight into whatever the Zero role was obviously, but given they were blue, that looks village special.

Seer doesn't make sense for Zero imo, but I could see Guard. Hopefully some sort of secondary special, though, since no Guard means a village network will be hard :(

Steam profile
    I could see Zero being a mason as well, trusty sidekick and all.

Though, Mason with the Vig probably would be a bit too much for a starting network, so maybe not.

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    So did Boogie get done by the SK then? Looks that way.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Hmm. I wonder if the Flesh Mask changes how you seer or forces the vig to target you - or it was a random kill and he happened to have the mask.

I'd definitely say boogie was done in by the SK, looks like we have a mad stocking stuffer on our hands.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    edited October 2017
    Brody wrote: »

I think he is assuming someone had more scares, and that you said somewhere that no one would have any gifts tonight? I think its unlikely anyone was playing with gifts, and that the "mask" was simply a narrative choice.

Towards the end of the night I asked for clarification that we could hold onto scares from one day to another (a dumb question in retrospect, I'll admit), but otherwise I never said anything about gifts or the mask narration.

Although since we're on the subject, I doubt anyone was allowed to get gifts for use on Day 1; I think the mask narration was just referring to the fact Egos had changed their avatar to a portrait of Lock (one of Oogie's trick or treaters) wearing his devil mask.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Re: Egos, I could see it go either way. Whoever is Jack might be a vigilante targeting Egos and the mask narration was making reference to Egos avatar swap. However, that doesn't explain KetBra's death, unless we have two vigs.

On the other hand, I don't see why some of us couldn't start with a gift as a bonus. Maybe Egos got a flesh mask and chose poorly last night. Then it follows none of us are actually Jack, but he is reserved for narrative purposes.

My money is on zero being a bus sleigh driver, and will be disappointed if not.

edited October 2017
    I definitely think KetBra's death suggests someone is Santa Claus as a serial killer. Again, I seem to recall black being used for narrating SK's in past games I've played.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Oh I didn't even think of Santa as the SK, that's perfect.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code