As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Disgaea]: D2 Out On Steam, D5 Coming To Nintendo Switch

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Be careful about sub classes. They are great on story-line characters, but if you put them on generics they won't gain class xp in their own class anymore.

The class levels are different from character levels, btw. You could have a lvl 12 character that only has rank 1 of mage for instance. Which is why you may have a lvl 3 character thats a mage but not a lvl 3 mage from that quest's perspective

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    OOOOOH, thanks. that makes total sense.

so on a generic the sub class takes over as the class you're gaining XP for rather than the main class but that's not the case for storyline characters.

again I'm sure I'll grasp this way more once I put more time in, I am kinda getting ahead of myself for no reason besides being too excited for the limited amount of time I hvae to play. thanks for indulging me!

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Be careful about sub classes. They are great on story-line characters, but if you put them on generics they won't gain class xp in their own class anymore.

My whole life has changed.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Finally got desco in D4. Time to break the game in half. I definitely remember having a much easier time leveling early in this game the last time i played through, but maybe ive just done a crap job leveling my mage.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Finally got desco in D4. Time to break the game in half. I definitely remember having a much easier time leveling early in this game the last time i played through, but maybe ive just done a crap job leveling my mage.

Desco is the best. Especially since Valvatorez is a natural sword user, so you can magichange to abuse his absurd evilities (seriously, I had so many maps that went from slog to "Valvatorez is in god mode" because of his stat eating)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I remember when i played it when it first came out it eventually just became desco kills the whole map in one spell.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    rumor is another d5 patch hit today! stability and crash fixes!

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I finished the D5 story missions yesterday, just shy of 60 hours including unlocking most available classes and trying to start my statistician farm (who are apparently up there with panda bears in terms of reluctance to breed in captivity). My first order of business is whittling down my dispatch group to a more manageable number. What classes are people using in the post game? I have a Sage and a Thief already, and Metallia is the locomotive on my pain train.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Does anyone know how Killia's overload and Twin Heads stack? I'm pondering how many attacks you can have him make in a single turn if you give him guns.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I know that killia's overload stacks with the sage's multiattack. It's pretty great

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I'm just putting everything into boosting asagi who has dual rank 40 weapons. a 900 statistician and 20* enemies craps out at around level 3000 though, which isn't currently strong enough to unlock the carnage dimension. maybe I need to farm more trapzohedreons

I spent like all day playing D4 and it was awesome. I basically just grinded 5-2 for a while until i could make the enemies lvl 99 and keep going. There is a huge power disparity in my units now because all the people with aoe are so much easier to level. I also cant decide which units to make, either human or monster to add to my team. Desco, val, and my mage just wreck everything.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    There is a huge power disparity in my units now because all the people with aoe are so much easier to level.

Anyone who lacks AoE can just get a magichange weapon that has one.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    So I just learned that the mystery room in the item world that you can't escape from after you trigger robbing a bank and all the level 6,000 dudes come out - you can escape! The cat is sitting on an invisible exit and you just have to fight him to make him move.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
    or you can have them learn spells for a 3x3 attack

So I finally picked up a ps4, and used the free psplus thing and D5 is on sale, so yeah i definitely grabbed it. After playing for like 2 hours, this game seems like it will be really good. Probably no one plays it anymore, except maybe on the switch, but love me some big disgaea numbers and craziness.

So I finally picked up a ps4, and used the free psplus thing and D5 is on sale, so yeah i definitely grabbed it. After playing for like 2 hours, this game seems like it will be really good. Probably no one plays it anymore, except maybe on the switch, but love me some big disgaea numbers and craziness.

It's definitely the best Disgaea game.

TamerBill wrote: »

It's definitely the best Disgaea game.

1 and 4 are better on story. Mechanically it wins though.

The stories are all more or less the same, with just crazy things happening. I think it's mostly just which characters you like the most is which game you like the most. Like Desco is awesome, so at least up until now 4 is my favorite. I'll reserve judgement on 5 until I play a bit more.

• ElinElin Registered User regular
    The stories are all more or less the same, with just crazy things happening. I think it's mostly just which characters you like the most is which game you like the most. Like Desco is awesome, so at least up until now 4 is my favorite. I'll reserve judgement on 5 until I play a bit more.

D5 is, by far, the easiest to play. The mechanics just feel right.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
    D5 is straight fire. The item world levels seem to have much better geometry and layouts than previous games so it's actually pretty fun to just dive in and do those for a while. I'm only on like episode 6, but I'm already way overleveled for the story stuff. I was a derp and assigned subclasses to generic units because I didn't know better, so now I know why they weren't gaining mastery in their jobs lol.

Can anyone comment on whether the dlc is worth it for D5? Getting extra characters is cool, but the season pass costs more than the game does.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    The DLC are primarily for the characters they unlock.

Each one has 3-5 battles and their own little mini-story arcs that are standalone.

You're basically buying them for the character(s) they come with and not much else. In that regard YMMV. Some of the characters are pretty useful, most are fine, and the rest are meh.

IMHO it really boils down to how much affection you have for those characters. If you've no clue who they are I probably wouldn't bother, unless you see them on sale which does happens from time to time.

Also, IIRC, I'm pretty sure they used the audio tracks from the original game the characters come from. For characters from the PS2 era the audio quality might not be up to snuff compared to the more recent ones. This may or may not bother you, just something to be aware of.

Elin wrote: »

D5 is, by far, the easiest to play. The mechanics just feel right.

Oh man, D1 will always have a special place in my heart, but D5 really is perfection gameplay wise IMO.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.

They're the same in broad strokes, but differ on the details. 4 has more fun characters than 5.

5 also messes up the whole metaverse of the series unless its taken as a netherworld comprised of mini netherworlds.

Polaritie wrote: »

They're the same in broad strokes, but differ on the details. 4 has more fun characters than 5.

5 also messes up the whole metaverse of the series unless its taken as a netherworld comprised of mini netherworlds.

Eh, Disgaea continuity was only ever an excuse for cameos, there is no consistent metaverse. 5's set in the distant past anyway, so you can handwave it all away as 'stuff changed'.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The two minutes of Disgaea 5 that are not two people screaming "kamehameha" at eachother are fun.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Polaritie wrote: »

4 has probably the only genuine leader and hero protagonist of the lot, as opposed to simpering children that everyone inexplicably follows and reveres for no logical reason whatsoever. And Desco.

I guess Adel's not too bad either.

If only the story didn't... go the way that it did. And holy shit, the entire Time Travel Vita addition may be the worst fucking thing ever associated with any Disgaea ever. Christ, that was horrible.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
    disgaea 1 is the best main game, 5 has the best game systems even if the main game was kind of lame. story was alright at least

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    The two minutes of Disgaea 5 that are not two people screaming "kamehameha" at eachother are fun.

It took me way too long to realize I was basically playing a shonen anime/manga by progressing through the story.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    People follow Sardines because he's like actually a supervisor, at least.
    It's not clear if people can be described as "following" following Laharl, or just following him around to laugh at him.

I only ever started disgaea with 2 on the ps2. I don't think I could stand to go back and play 1 without all the bells and whistles. Hell I don't even really like to grind through 2:dhd on my psp because they fixed the nekomata capture thing so you cant just speed everything along. I'm wondering how long it will be until they announce D6, because I think between ps4 and switch, 5 did really well, and it's been a few years since the ps4 release.

I only ever started disgaea with 2 on the ps2. I don't think I could stand to go back and play 1 without all the bells and whistles. Hell I don't even really like to grind through 2:dhd on my psp because they fixed the nekomata capture thing so you cant just speed everything along. I'm wondering how long it will be until they announce D6, because I think between ps4 and switch, 5 did really well, and it's been a few years since the ps4 release.

D6 is in the works, early stages I guess. The dude in charge has said he'd love to release D6 on both Ps4 and Switch if he is able and it seems likely he will be. Hell, if it wasn't for Microsoft's insane policies they'd probably be more than happy to release it on the Xbone as well.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I've been playing D5 again since I've been laid up with the flu and I'm disappointed in myself that dropped it months ago. I forgot how much fun this is. Been playing mainly with generics and have a lady samurai that's doing work.

In bed scorching flame for the second time and it bothers me that some of these maps have invisible walls that prevent me from breaking them with throw.

Carpy on
  • PinDropPinDrop Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to pick up Disgaea 5 on Switch, even though I own it on PS4. Seems like a good game to have mobile.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    PinDrop wrote: »
    I'm tempted to pick up Disgaea 5 on Switch, even though I own it on PS4. Seems like a good game to have mobile.
    PinDrop wrote: »

Being able to hit sleep on an item world dive and then continue later is pretty awesome.

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    oh hey Disgaea Thread, rad.

So I'm in the post-game in 5. Unlocked Land of Carnage, got a few party members to maxed out subclasses and reincarnated to get 10mil base stats.

But now I'm actually playing the Carnage content and it feels like I'm just blowing through it mindlessly, it feels like I'm CRAZY overleveled even though I know I'm going to have to do the essence farming thing at some point.

Am I eventually going to reach a point in the LoC where it'll naturally make sense to start grinding again to make progress, or is it just going to be smooth sailing until I hit another statcheck-cliff?

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    So Disgaea 5 is out on steam and on launch discount until Monday. This is a game everyone enjoyed? How good is the story compared to Disgaea 1?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

I think general consensus is that D1 story is better, but D5 is still really fun.

Gameplay wise it is easily the pinnacle of the series.

That said, I’ve not heard good things about the PC port sadly. In pretty much all respects it sounds like the PS4 version is the best version. Though to be fair I personally have no idea how true it is, but the complaints are common.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Hmm. I don't own any of the consoles it is on except steam. I know they had a lot of trouble getting the Disgaea 1 PC version working as well.

edit: Wow, these are some upset people leaving reviews. Why did they need to cut online mode to make it work for steam?

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I must be the only one on the planet who likes D2's story most...

Also, I had a random thought: is it viable to patch The Invasion From Within into the Steam version?

wVEsyIc.png
    Axen wrote: »
    I think general consensus is that D1 story is better, but D5 is still really fun.

Gameplay wise it is easily the pinnacle of the series.

That said, I’ve not heard good things about the PC port sadly. In pretty much all respects it sounds like the PS4 version is the best version. Though to be fair I personally have no idea how true it is, but the complaints are common.

1>4>5>>>>2 of what I've played, in terms of story.

Mechanics basically just get better every game.