As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassin's Creed

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, the rapid fire bow could theoretically be a thing, people have figured out how to do it different ways through the years

(Lars Andersen is goofball and fraud though)

DouglasDanger on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It's not brilliantly explained, but I like having the different bows.
    I've got my predator bow for headshots when they don't know I'm there, and the fast bow to get some hits in while they charge me.

I can' really find a great use for the warrior bow, though. The spread seems wide enough that there's no way to get as much damage on someone as the other bows would be.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I just want to know, if you set your camel on fire, is there any way to put it out?
    Seriously. We were just ride around a bandit campfire and my camel kicked/stepped on one of those pieces of crockery filled with oilflame. I'm not sure I wanted to hear the cries of a dying camel, but it is weird to hear an animal engulfed in flames grunt in irritation a few times before splaying out in the sand.

So...now I'm walking to Alexandria. Oh, and a fish fell out of the sky.

• I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    I'm gonna go ahead and say yeah, if you see any weird shit in the desert, you'll know
    I found a shipwreck in the desert

Which seemed odd

Oh

Ummm
    I found a skeleton that talked to me with my son’s voice and then disappeared

So.... you know,,,, that happened

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I saw
    a series of Mirages that directed me to one of those stone circles

the desert is weird

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    On my way home, new copy of game in my bag

I have an exam on Thursday, but it's OK, I will let Mrs Rhesus play the game until then

Although I should do the install and update stuff when I get home so she can play straight away

I'm warning you, Future Rhesus, that's it

You're not the boss of me, you fucking nerd

Just got past the first main assassination - sniped him with a marksman bow

I like the new combat system, and I enjoy that the bows have different abilities rather than just higher numbers

Does the run speed seem slower than normal to everybody else?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Just started on PC

How do I do lethal takedowns, and is there a proper way to finish targets on the ground?

It feels super weird to choke dudes out, then wack them with a normal attack as they squirm on the ground.
    Especially as it takes me out of stealth

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Turambar wrote: »
    Just started on PC

How do I do lethal takedowns, and is there a proper way to finish targets on the ground?

It feels super weird to choke dudes out, then wack them with a normal attack as they squirm on the ground.

Follow the story quests until you get the thing that lets you do that.
    But you don't have to hit them once they're down for missions or anything, once you take them down, they're 'dead' as far as the game and objectives are concerned.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Just started on PC

Follow the story quests until you get the thing that lets you do that.
    But you don't have to hit them once they're down for missions or anything, once you take them down, they're 'dead' as far as the game and objectives are concerned.

I actually kind of miss that aspect of the early game, and I have been disappointed that using fists on the “not as bad” enemies still kills them. There’s something nice about a video game protagonist who has some discretion about who he brutally murders.

I liked that the torch burned the cobwebs in the early level

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    It's not brilliantly explained, but I like having the different bows.
    I've got my predator bow for headshots when they don't know I'm there, and the fast bow to get some hits in while they charge me.

I can' really find a great use for the warrior bow, though. The spread seems wide enough that there's no way to get as much damage on someone as the other bows would be.

Hunter bow is standard. I kill [redacted mini boss] with these, just circle on horse/camel and plunk away with headshots. Also good for, you guessed it, hunting.

Short bow is uzi. Rapid fire, best for medium/short range combat.

Warrior bow is shotgun. If I'm absolutely struggling in combat for some reason out comes the warrior bow and down go dudes who suddenly look like a pin-cushion.

Predator bow is sniper. If you're patient, and have been keeping upgrades current, it should one-shot most lower level dudes, and even the heavy-set dudes with axes. If you're shooting in tall enough bushes, you can do it without them seeing you too.

they're all great, just situational. As are some of the melee weapons. I think this is a game that expects you to pick weapons situationally. You can pick a fave and just go with it, but you might find you struggle in situations best suited for another weapon.

I just want to know, if you set your camel on fire, is there any way to put it out?
    Seriously. We were just ride around a bandit campfire and my camel kicked/stepped on one of those pieces of crockery filled with oilflame. I'm not sure I wanted to hear the cries of a dying camel, but it is weird to hear an animal engulfed in flames grunt in irritation a few times before splaying out in the sand.

So...now I'm walking to Alexandria. Oh, and a fish fell out of the sky.

Water is the only thing I know of. Pedestrians might help you out if some are nearby.

edited October 2017
    Just started on PC

I agree the non-lethal take-downs are sub-optimal. the side content in this game is absolutely worth doing (IMO), but I recommend focusing on main story missions up to Alexandria (level 10 mission) where you get the ability to do lethal assassinations. After that, stealth stuff becomes what it should be and you can go back looking for anything you missed. Side quests are well written and seem worth doing as well.

soylenth on
    So, I'm about 30 hours into the game and have maaaaaybe 1/3 of the map uncovered? I'm taking my time, doing side-quests and exploring a bit. I have more or less completed all the points of interest in the zones I've uncovered so far, an am over-leveled for stuff now. But wow, long game. Having a blast though. Just a gorgeous world and who doesn't like pyramids?

Also, I tamed a crocodile and tried to feed him soldiers, but he ran into a fire and burned to death :( I shall have to teach the next one the dangers of fire ...

What's the max level in this?
    Looking at the map I'd guess 40, but by my math that'd leave a lot of skills locked, unless there's another way to get ability points.
    If this is supposed to get me to use microtransactions, I'll be very unhappy. Especially since I can't see a way to respec skills?

It's 40. I have found a couple of points of interest have rewarded ability points for completing them, but Idk. My hope is, you actually still level for ability points at 40, just without gaining anymore numerical levels. I'm only 28 though, so idk yet how that's going to work. I agree though, if I can't max my ability tree I'll be irritated.

• ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    you can also get points from tombs, and your bar still fills for them even at the cap, iirc

I’m warming up to the new UI but I just need to say that it’s a hell of a lot hard to ride to a checkpoint in a city area when all the roads are meandering like this. Like, I get that it totally makes sense for the setting and era for a much more organic layout but it is definitely at odds with getting there on a horse/camel/whatever.

edited November 2017
    What the hell, you need lion or leopard pelts to upgrade the tool pouch

DouglasDanger on
  • I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Okay, just finished the Scarab mission and was not expecting the next bit

This game.... is good

Also, I only just found out at like level 25 that if you switch to Senu while auto-riding on your horse, the game doesn't pause and you keep moving along your set path while she does recon for you

Is there a range on how far Senu can fly away from you?
    I'm tempted to get to one corner of the map, find somewhere safe to hide, then send Senu to try and fly all the way across Egypt while I make myself a sandwich or something.

Is there a range on how far Senu can fly away from you?
    I'm tempted to get to one corner of the map, find somewhere safe to hide, then send Senu to try and fly all the way across Egypt while I make myself a sandwich or something.

I would think you’re limited to the given region you’re currently in, but let us know what you find.

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    This combat might be too terrible for me to continue with this much farther

The only reliable way I've been able to take out random soldiers on horseback has been to run up to a rooftop, wait for them to climb up and spam the shit out of the attack button as they're climbing up

Everything about how the camera feels during combat is bad bad bad, and boy howdy I sure do hate it when games have a lock-on option that just drops the lock-on for no fucking reason

Using the bow just feels so bad too, everything about combat seems way off

Combat, took some getting used to, but it's more or less fine for me now. Long weapons like spears are great for people on horseback. Or summoning your horse and getting on and then slashing away. Or getting on horse and using bow to kill at mid-range. I killed my third [redacted optional mini-boss] just by riding my speedy horse and plunking away headshots with hunter bow at mid-range. The chariot races are tough, but worth it for that horse. Fast as the wind!

Combat is about weapon choice, dodge, and well-timed blocks that stun them and leave their guard open. Or just get a heavy weapon and bust through their puny shield defense. But especially dodge. If you're locked, it should leave you an opening for an attack or two. If you're facing multiple, spear is good here too (either packs of hyenas or people). In general though, this is a "combat is tough again" AC. Much better to kill things by stealth. If you cause an alarm and suddenly 10 dudes are running towards you ... run away!

I don't disagree with you there- and this is 'combat is tough again' done right- as opposed to Unity where it was just...bad and gimped in a way that wasn't satisfying (Usually because of assholes with guns).

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I didn't get the complaints about the combat until I started getting into encounters with more than a few enemies. Now I really do miss the Batman style combat with lots of counters.

It's making me play this as more of a stealth game, which I've never really thought was a strength of the series.

Yeah, fighting more than say, three opponents is tricky

I just put shield on toggle, and play very defensively, and try to pick them off one at a time

Horse archers can fuck off though

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh you can put shield on toggle?

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Yeah it's in the options somewhere, it makes things a lot better I think. (much like putting tank on a toggle in the last batman)

7qmGNt5.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yeah, fighting more than say, three opponents is tricky

I just put shield on toggle, and play very defensively, and try to pick them off one at a time

Horse archers can fuck off though

The problem for me is that it's only tricky because the lock on is absolutely awful.

Going for an all dual swords no shields mostly no ranged run.

But dear lord is the lock-on awful and the dodge is kinda sluggish.

If there was just a tiny bit more to the combat and the two issues above were fixed it would be super fun I think.

edited November 2017
    The straight sword adrenaline move is sort of a thrust move

If you can manipulate your lock on correctly, you can damn near teleport with it

I did that last night to beat the phylakes? In Alexandria

He dropped a legendary? Top tier straight sword that gives Bayek health when he kills with it

DouglasDanger on
    Gotta say, I'm feeling the staff as my go-to melee weapon. It's got just the right amount of fuck-you range.

I'm still going with sword 'n' board. It took me a long time to beat that exhibition for early on because my timing was all off with the spear, and I'm currently relying on the tactic of hitting once with a poisoned sword then staying out of range until they fall over.

Joy is hitting a dude point blank with the shotgun bow and throwing him backwards off the scaffolding he just climbed to get to you.

I'm running a sickle sword/spear combo at the mo, had a big ol heavy mace for a bit and yeah that was fun but I like something a bit more nippy. Hopefully I'll find a good yellow sword soon though, those extra talents definitely add up.

7qmGNt5.png
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I got a gold shield out of one of the Nomad Bazaar loot boxes, so I should probably be going a bit more sword and shield. But I also found a nice spear and especially from horseback, the spear is real nice.

euj90n71sojo.png
    Yeah I've been bagging free stuff from that kid from his quests and it's all be rad. Might give one of his boxes a go sometime, but I can't shake the feeling I'm going to need all this cash

7qmGNt5.png
    that kid gave me a quest that the tracker says is a level 2 quest but the bandits there are all Level Skull and murder me in two hits

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    that kid gave me a quest that the tracker says is a level 2 quest but the bandits there are all Level Skull and murder me in two hits

Children are liars

He hired those dudes to strip your corpse for a loot box.

7qmGNt5.png
    I got a gold staff that is also on fire.
    It's good for beatburning people to death.

I also fought my first phylanges phylaktles bounty hunter. Same level as me (20), but with tons of health, he wasn't too tough (though I have done my usual AC tradition of pouring time into grinding upgrades, so all my health/damage gear is purple level).

I can't find this shield toggle option