As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Also, is there a way to resize my photos in Imgur? Photobucket automatically did it, and my Note 8 seems to have fewer options for the camera than my Note 3 did.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    I'm repainting all my chaos dudes school-bus yellow and Cassandora yellow is the absolute boss. The trick to painting yellow, turns out, is to never ever touch actual yellow paint.
    I get my colour with a basecoat of Jakaro Orange (takes 2 or 3 coats to get a smooth layer, but it's pretty good coverage), wash with Reikland Flesh, highlight up to Jack Bone, and then slather it with that juicy juicy Cassandora wash.
    chaos_obliterators_yellow.jpg

This guy was just the wash overtop of a white basecoat, and still looks pretty sharp.
    nostromians_juve01.jpg

I love that yellow on the Chaos dudes. Warm, orangey yellows are the best.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Speaking of yellow, I’ve got a bunch of Iron Warriors I did some really nice metals on, but I’m terrified of ruining them with crappy hazard stripes. Is there an easy way to stencil them with an airbrush, or would just going at it with a ruler and a micron pen then filling in the bars with a brush work better?

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Might be better to paint a yellow bar, then use a ruler and micropen to add the black stripes.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Why would you use nuln oil when painting yellow?? D: Unless you're going for a dirty, desaturated yellow, of course...

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Badablack wrote: »
    Speaking of yellow, I’ve got a bunch of Iron Warriors I did some really nice metals on, but I’m terrified of ruining them with crappy hazard stripes. Is there an easy way to stencil them with an airbrush, or would just going at it with a ruler and a micron pen then filling in the bars with a brush work better?

Go to a hobby shop (like, a real big boy hobbyshop with manly trains and stuff, not some lame nerd toystore) and they should have pinstriping tape. It's masking tape, but reaaaaaaaaly thin. Find some gauges you like and hazard stripe away!
    Or, if youre feeling thrifty, just cut some masking tape into thinner strips and use that. Don't even need to airbrush, just a brush should work fine.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Still working on the Hierodule.
    Psych! Totally finished it this afternoon:

zx69q2yxglfk.jpg
    vd388fsf6b97.jpg
    4qburd1cctln.jpg
    sxuox65kf170.jpg

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I have finished* my Scourge Fleet! And glued the pegs in which sort of annoys me but whatever.

*well almost I have two Scylla frigates to make and paint

Scourge_fleet_1.png

Scourge_fleet_2.png

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Also, is there a way to resize my photos in Imgur? Photobucket automatically did it, and my Note 8 seems to have fewer options for the camera than my Note 3 did.

You can edit sizes and stuff on Computer easily. There doesn't seem to be such option on mobile.

---

Last weekend I got my self a foam cutting table and did some terrain.
    f5ce9rg.jpg?1

I'm still not satisfied with the rocks. I need to experiment more with them.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I love the rocks! Maybe a really light wash in the cracks? But honestly they look great.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I have finished* my Scourge Fleet! And glued the pegs in which sort of annoys me but whatever.

*well almost I have two Scylla frigates to make and paint

Scourge_fleet_1.png

Scourge_fleet_2.png

Thank you for showing me the first picture I've ever seen that frames these ships against objects in real-world scale!

I've always wondered how big they are, but couldn't be bothered to research it. :P

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Mayday wrote: »
    Why would you use nuln oil when painting yellow?? D: Unless you're going for a dirty, desaturated yellow, of course...

I like to see a really dark line between all the joints and such. Once I put the Averland Sunset back over it, it covers up the dark wash over the major surfaces.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Anyone get Shadespire? I converted my dudes a little.

yr0g3t74uddi.jpeg

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Cool, I dig the helmet on the leader guy. Much better than old-man "blood santa".
    I think I need to get some demo games of shadespire in before I consider buying it. It looks interesting, but I've got too many standalone boardgamey type things I never play. Necromunda is the thing on the horizon.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, stock sculpt for the main leader guy was pretty bad imo. He looked less “blood crazed killer” and more “comic book writer from the 80s”.
    Hopefully the beard under the helmet thing comes out ok once painted tho.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I picked it up but haven't put the models together yet cos I lost my file, I've got a new one now so I'm eager to get at it!
    I particularly like the textured bases, they're a nice touch.

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    McGibs wrote: »
    Cool, I dig the helmet on the leader guy. Much better than old-man "blood santa".
    I think I need to get some demo games of shadespire in before I consider buying it. It looks interesting, but I've got too many standalone boardgamey type things I never play. Necromunda is the thing on the horizon.

I played a couple games with L today, it was fun. I'm not sure I'm down for a 'deckbuilding' game but this doesn't seem to be too bad with that.

We were playing his copy but I think I'm going to grab my own copy too. We can give it a shot soon if you want.

I'm definitely going to have to work on some conversions like Dayspring. Looks great!

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Okay guys, looking for some options. I want to strip a couple metal miniatures, with as roughly zero effort as possible. All options are on the table, so long as I don't have to manually clean (much) the figs, and the resultant slurry isn't horrifically toxic (gotta dispose of it, y'know).

Hit me with your hottest stripping techniques :winky:

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Isopropyl alcohol is cheap, readily available, and won’t send you on a horrible vision quest if you get hit by a whiff of it.

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Okay guys, looking for some options. I want to strip a couple metal miniatures, with as roughly zero effort as possible. All options are on the table, so long as I don't have to manually clean (much) the figs, and the resultant slurry isn't horrifically toxic (gotta dispose of it, y'know).

Acetone or oven cleaner

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

Rubbing alcohol and peroxide. Let soak over night. Brush vigorously with tooth brush for like 2 mins should be clean enough to repaint.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Like I said I will thank you for the tip on the isopropyl alcohol stripping method as that eldar autarch I got on ebay was caked in paint
    It was scary how it peeled away that paint to reveal the detail under

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    2 more death guard.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Asher wrote: »
    I painted a thiiiiiiing!

I swear this is the first model I've painted in a million years. Or like 2 months.

Konflikt 47 Sherman-T The T stands for Tesla.

Better pics after weathering.

Tesla...tank...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HUWUtTZvK4

It took me far too long to reply to this but yessssss. K47 is hitting all the Red Alert notes I want it too, even if it does my head in that the US are the ones with Tesla Tanks.

Here's the Thunderbolt II (Don't ask what happened to Thunderbolt I) after weathering, reading to zap some commies or krauts.

uZLLP3Y.jpg
    p9wdFmG.jpg
    rz4Xx0k.jpg

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    Isopropyl alcohol is cheap, readily available, and won’t send you on a horrible vision quest if you get hit by a whiff of it.

A bad wiff of it smells like a doctor's office

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    It's commonly used to disinfect, yes.
    But don't actively breathe it in - it's not super toxic, but it IS toxic when ingested in larger amounts, and not in the good way: it's dissolved into acetone in your organism -> hurts RRRREAL bad.

• Options
    The Robot shows you how to work with resin
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENUE0GyQr_o
    He does give a lot of tips that do cross over to other kits that I had to sadly learn the hard way
    Also he shows how to use green stuff

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So, if I wanted to paint some nice clean bars or lines on something what would be the best method? My brother suggested doing something like the Homeworld style bands stripes on the next batch of ships I'm thinking of making/painting, and I was wondering how to accomplish it. Off the top of my head I thought of painting the whole thing the first color (white in this case) then applying some thin painters tape and repainting the whole thing red. I'm hoping that'd give me the kind of look he's thinking of (assuming I can get the tape to be parallel and diagonal effectively)

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    I feel like the only options are really: pinstriping tape, and then masking out the areas as you described (get a metal needle or something to push the tape into all the little crevaces)
    or
    A zillion manhours of practice so you can pinstripe freehand .

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I vote zillion manhours.

• Options
    I’m considering starting a Cthulhu-themed Tyranid Army and looks like I’ll have to mostly outsource my stuff beyond GW. Other than reaper Bones, what’s a good source of Lovecraftian miniatures that aren’t too pricey?

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Hierodule and Malanthrope sold;

Repulsors and Rhino pre-weathered and ready for Maskol and base coats;
    vcpk0wh248k7.jpg

New Tyranid hive fleet colour scheme picked out
    d4pjsp65txu5.jpg

It's all good.

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    thats a real good nid scheme.
    cant wait to see what you do with it

• Options
    Ninja airbrush attack gogogogo

smw7g2dpvsps.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Are nids delicious?

Wholeheartedly approve of Chesapeake Bay blue crabs as a nid scheme.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Kneel wrote: »
    Hierodule and Malanthrope sold;

Repulsors and Rhino pre-weathered and ready for Maskol and base coats;
    vcpk0wh248k7.jpg

New Tyranid hive fleet colour scheme picked out
    d4pjsp65txu5.jpg

It's all good.

Official Oosik colors. I approve.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    So before stripping the whole thing and starting over, I decided to smooth out the weathering to see how it would look before deciding to drybrush the stone.

I still can't tell if it looks ok or not. I think the stone needs to start darker and have the main lighter tone here be the couple stones I pick out instead.
    wNzb5BX.jpg?1

A highlight drybrush on the stone is only going to lighten it, and I think it would cause a greater clash in colors than the darker stone being drybrushed. What do you guys think?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So before stripping the whole thing and starting over, I decided to smooth out the weathering to see how it would look before deciding to drybrush the stone.

I still can't tell if it looks ok or not. I think the stone needs to start darker and have the main lighter tone here be the couple stones I pick out instead.
    wNzb5BX.jpg?1

A highlight drybrush on the stone is only going to lighten it, and I think it would cause a greater clash in colors than the darker stone being drybrushed. What do you guys think?

I'd just throw a nice dark wash over the whole thing and hope for the best. But I'm a lazy painter.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

wNzb5BX.jpg?1

I'd just throw a nice dark wash over the whole thing and hope for the best. But I'm a lazy painter.

What you see is the result of 'uhg fuck it' to date. It's kind of a nice piece and I'm thinking it just needs a strip and serious attempt. I'm gonna try another wash (I did the rest of my earthshade on it, heavily (you can see the lazy sploches), but maybe a nuln oil hit and another controlled earthshade or two. Should I nuln oil the roof too? I would think it wouldn't look right at the end.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Are nids delicious?

Wholeheartedly approve of Chesapeake Bay blue crabs as a nid scheme.

I got it from 'blue Atlantic crab' but fair enough!

3EnCIQg.jpg
This discussion has been closed.