Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Candy Corn Vampires, Hocus Pocus, And Other Signs That It's [Halloween]

189101214

Posts

  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I finally had one of those reeses ghosts pb cups

    those are..

    something

    that white chocolate gives everything a weird taste, I agree with @tynic that it is kind of chalky because of that

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, don't @ me
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    oh, nah. It's chalky cause of the peanut crap.

    also that stuff on the outside is not chocolate, my friend.

    Erin The Redcabsy
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    NO IT IS THE WHITE CHOCOLATE FAT'S FAULT!

    I refuse to hear anymore of this blasphemy!

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, don't @ me
    Matev
  • ArmorocArmoroc regular Registered User regular
    Helped my mom with the trick-or-treating this year and we took my siblings to the usual spot which we go to every year. Not many kids out so less costumes to see which was a bummer. We were the only ones out for the longest time. Walked around the neighborhood till 8pm or so and ended the night with some burgers and Stranger Things 2.

  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Wait, is chili on Halloween a thing? Because every year, my dad makes big pot of turkey chili for us to eat over the course of the evening, and the years we don’t do that, it’s chili loaf.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    Jedoc
  • JedocJedoc Take a look. It's in a book. It was always in a book, you fool.Registered User regular
    I have not heard of this Halloween chili tradition before, but you have my attention.

    GDdCWMm.jpg
    Erin The Redwebguy20CanadianWolverineMadEddyLost SalientsarukunMortal Sky
  • builderr0rbuilderr0r regular Registered User regular
    the cheat wrote: »
    builderr0r wrote: »
    I didn't have a costume for this year sadly, but I liked my outfit. I'm wearing this lace, bat wing shrug, and my bag is a black skull.

    vJKKJkR.jpg

    @Nija and I went to Knott's Scary Farm. It was my first time going to a Halloween-themed amusement park, and it was a lot of fun.

    sorry I missed you, I was working at one of the mazes. forgot to post about it at all this year. :redface: glad to hear you had fun, though.

    That's awesome! Which maze?

    steam_sig.png
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bowen wrote: »
    NO IT IS THE WHITE CHOCOLATE FAT'S FAULT!

    I refuse to hear anymore of this blasphemy!

    No I mean it says "cream"
    Like I didn't check the box it came in for the actual ingredients list but it specifically says on the wrapper that this candy is "coated in cream", whatever that means. No mention of white chocolate or cocoa fats.

    The chalky texture is 100% the filling though.

  • GustavGustav regular Registered User regular
    I had to deal with an in character Joker last night.

    I had horrific flashbacks to every con I've ever worked.

    VnZ7Xbt.jpg
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    I tried a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup once. It was pretty good!
    The "peanut butter" was in no way shape or form actual peanut butter. To be honest it felt more like peanut butter flavoured marzipan.

    tynicAuralynxJedoc
  • BolthornBolthorn regular Registered User regular
    We started the chili on trick-or-treat night because it was something my wife could start in the crock pot and forget about for most of the day. Then when trick-or-treat is over, time to eat. It's been a pretty good tradition.

    AlexandierErin The Red
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I tried a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup once. It was pretty good!
    The "peanut butter" was in no way shape or form actual peanut butter. To be honest it felt more like peanut butter flavoured marzipan.

    There are non-Reese's peanut butter cups to be had, and many are not chalky and weird. Personally I like these but ymmv.

    I am another who got no trick or treaters and did nothing, though I am pretty sure that is because I live on the not-great side of town and everyone drove their kids to the nice parts to trick or treat. Had to grind my way through them coming home.

    Space... what is the point of it? You have no idea.
    OSvv7zs.png


  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan regular Registered User regular
    We had one trick or treater, a cousin of my wife's. Yesterday though we still had like half a million people without power in Maine and a lot people just didn't go out because many neighborhoods had no power. On the plus side, we have a bunch of candy left over.

    My wife grew up in the projects, Halloween was a big deal for them because they'd walk to Burger King for dinner, which was a huge treat, and then go out trick or treating. Somehow that tradition has lasted (we're now 40) so every year on Halloween we get Burger King like it's still the big deal it would be for a broke low income housing kid. I find her dedication to this weird tradition really fun.

    ArmorocpookacabsyCanadianWolverineMadEddyironsizide
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Wait, is chili on Halloween a thing? Because every year, my dad makes big pot of turkey chili for us to eat over the course of the evening, and the years we don’t do that, it’s chili loaf.

    Chili....loaf?

    Metzger MeisterMadEddy
  • ArtoriaArtoria regular Registered User regular
    Last night I wasn't feeling super great so I did the put all of the candy in a big pot with a sign on it that says "Please take one. Happy Halloween!" I at least put a little effort into and put a picture of Halloween box costume DVa on it. I checked on it and all the candy was gone after like, 1 hour. I put 3 bags worth of candy in it. I'd like to think that we have a lot of kids in the neighborhood and I didn't buy enough but the most likely thing is 1 kid took all of it.

  • ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    For the record white chocolate is great and I love Zero bars.

    Reeses is still king though.

    npAs9AI.png
    CHI'S MIDWEEK 80'S & 90's MOVIE MONSTER MASH, EVERY OTHER WED @ 9PM EASTERN
    ☈ Steam: chimera.monster Discord: Chimera #7416
  • CalicaCalica regular Registered User regular
    I never understood that as a kid. The candy isn't the point.
    Auralynx wrote: »
    I tried a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup once. It was pretty good!
    The "peanut butter" was in no way shape or form actual peanut butter. To be honest it felt more like peanut butter flavoured marzipan.

    There are non-Reese's peanut butter cups to be had, and many are not chalky and weird. Personally I like these but ymmv.

    I am another who got no trick or treaters and did nothing, though I am pretty sure that is because I live on the not-great side of town and everyone drove their kids to the nice parts to trick or treat. Had to grind my way through them coming home.

    The best peanut butter cups I have ever had were the Roundy's Select brand. I say "were" because they only had them for a few months. Low shelf life, maybe?

    Jedoc wrote: »
    The GOP cares about babies until they're born, soldiers until they're in need of care, and families until they interfere with stockholder dividends.
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Wait, is chili on Halloween a thing? Because every year, my dad makes big pot of turkey chili for us to eat over the course of the evening, and the years we don’t do that, it’s chili loaf.

    Chili....loaf?

    Yup, it’s fairly a thick chili con carne, wrapped in bread and baked in the oven. Have to figure out how I can make it at some point, it’s been awhile.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    Mortal Sky
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister regular Registered User regular
    That sounds unbelievable

    JedocArmoroc
  • the cheatthe cheat regular Registered User, ClubPA regular
    builderr0r wrote: »
    the cheat wrote: »
    builderr0r wrote: »
    I didn't have a costume for this year sadly, but I liked my outfit. I'm wearing this lace, bat wing shrug, and my bag is a black skull.

    vJKKJkR.jpg

    @Nija and I went to Knott's Scary Farm. It was my first time going to a Halloween-themed amusement park, and it was a lot of fun.

    sorry I missed you, I was working at one of the mazes. forgot to post about it at all this year. :redface: glad to hear you had fun, though.

    That's awesome! Which maze?

    Dark Ride.

    hey, motherfuckers, don't forget about discount candy day.

    tKfL2Yd.png?1
    builderr0rJayKaoschrishallett83
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine regular Registered User regular
    Huh, at our work we discount our candy the 31st. Other places don't do that? We basicly don't want to see the stuff anymore by Nov 1st.

    steam_sig.png
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i just spent eleven bucks on four pounds of candy, don't @ me

    chrishallett83cabsy
  • the cheatthe cheat regular Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Huh, at our work we discount our candy the 31st. Other places don't do that? We basicly don't want to see the stuff anymore by Nov 1st.

    most places here sell discount candy for a few days after up to a week. I never heard of discounts the day of the holiday, that seems like a bad business move.

    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Look, I dislike peanut butter, and understand complaints that American large-scale chocolate company chocolate is crap.

    But Reese's peanut butter cups are fucking awesome.

    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    people's bad opinions of reeses pb cups is what causes true xenophobia

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, don't @ me
    MatevJedoc
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Matev wrote: »
    Wait, is chili on Halloween a thing? Because every year, my dad makes big pot of turkey chili for us to eat over the course of the evening, and the years we don’t do that, it’s chili loaf.

    Chili....loaf?

    Yup, it’s fairly a thick chili con carne, wrapped in bread and baked in the oven. Have to figure out how I can make it at some point, it’s been awhile.

    this sounds vaguely similar to the way I like my chili - my mother's always made a mean chili con carne and a heck of a buttery, sweet cornbread, and I figured out how to blend the two separate parts of the meal together in a way that's thick as a bowl of oatmeal

    Matevironsizide
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bowen wrote: »
    people's bad opinions of reeses pb cups is what causes true xenophobia

    y'all been brainwashed.

    CelloAuralynxNightDragon
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    people's bad opinions of reeses pb cups is what causes true xenophobia

    y'all been brainwashed.

    I mean, sure, a true pb cup is like worlds better

    but

    still

    reeses

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, don't @ me
  • CelloCello regular Registered User regular
    Reeses cups are chalk chocolate

    Reese's peanut butter cereal, however

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    NightDragon
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    Look, I dislike peanut butter, and understand complaints that American large-scale chocolate company chocolate is crap.

    But Reese's peanut butter cups are fucking awesome.

    I never said they weren't good, just that the peanutty filling isn't actually peanut butter.

  • PiptheFairPiptheFair regular Registered User regular
    americans fucking love peanut butter and europeans find it really goddamn weird for some reason

  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    peanut butter is awesome

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, don't @ me
    Bolthorn
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Peanuts should largely be reserved for peanut sauces, and crushed on top of things.

    Related: why is it kind of hard to find crushed peanuts here? Back home you can get giant bags of crushed roast peanuts for sprinkling activities.

  • PiptheFairPiptheFair regular Registered User regular
    peanut butter is used in SEA peanut sauces because peanut butter is goddamn delicious

    Naphtali
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    All cereal is bad.

    Except Puffins.

    Puffins are wonderful.

    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair regular Registered User regular
    puffins are a bird

    please don't eat arctic birds sandra

    HeadCreeps
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    Peanut butter and honey makes an excellent sandwich.

    webguy20Mortal SkylonelyahavaAuralynxpookathe cheatMadEddy
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Peanuts should largely be reserved for peanut sauces, and crushed on top of things.

    Related: why is it kind of hard to find crushed peanuts here? Back home you can get giant bags of crushed roast peanuts for sprinkling activities.

    just use your peanut crusher tool and get uncrushed ones nbd, every house in america has one

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, don't @ me
  • CelloCello regular Registered User regular
    All cereal is bad.

    Except Puffins.

    Puffins are wonderful.

    As someone who spent approximately two years of her life eating Count Chocula for breakfast nearly every day, I disagree
    I'm actually way more likely as an adult to have toast or porridge as a quick breakfast now, but I absolutely bought Cookie Crisp in my first American grocery order, to make up for years of deprivation after it got pulled from Canadian stores early in my childhood

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    webguy20Label
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Look, I dislike peanut butter, and understand complaints that American large-scale chocolate company chocolate is crap.

    But Reese's peanut butter cups are fucking awesome.

    I never said they weren't good, just that the peanutty filling isn't actually peanut butter.

    what's the defining factor here

    when does something stop being peanut butter

Sign In or Register to comment.