As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Candy Corn Vampires, Hocus Pocus, And Other Signs That It's [Halloween]

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I finally had one of those reeses ghosts pb cups

those are..

something

that white chocolate gives everything a weird taste, I agree with @tynic that it is kind of chalky because of that

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    oh, nah. It's chalky cause of the peanut crap.

also that stuff on the outside is not chocolate, my friend.

• Options
    NO IT IS THE WHITE CHOCOLATE FAT'S FAULT!

I refuse to hear anymore of this blasphemy!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Helped my mom with the trick-or-treating this year and we took my siblings to the usual spot which we go to every year. Not many kids out so less costumes to see which was a bummer. We were the only ones out for the longest time. Walked around the neighborhood till 8pm or so and ended the night with some burgers and Stranger Things 2.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Wait, is chili on Halloween a thing? Because every year, my dad makes big pot of turkey chili for us to eat over the course of the evening, and the years we don’t do that, it’s chili loaf.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I have not heard of this Halloween chili tradition before, but you have my attention.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    the cheat wrote: »
    builderr0r wrote: »
    I didn't have a costume for this year sadly, but I liked my outfit. I'm wearing this lace, bat wing shrug, and my bag is a black skull.

vJKKJkR.jpg

@Nija and I went to Knott's Scary Farm. It was my first time going to a Halloween-themed amusement park, and it was a lot of fun.

sorry I missed you, I was working at one of the mazes. forgot to post about it at all this year. :redface: glad to hear you had fun, though.

That's awesome! Which maze?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    NO IT IS THE WHITE CHOCOLATE FAT'S FAULT!

I refuse to hear anymore of this blasphemy!

No I mean it says "cream"
    Like I didn't check the box it came in for the actual ingredients list but it specifically says on the wrapper that this candy is "coated in cream", whatever that means. No mention of white chocolate or cocoa fats.

The chalky texture is 100% the filling though.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I had to deal with an in character Joker last night.

I had horrific flashbacks to every con I've ever worked.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I tried a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup once. It was pretty good!
    The "peanut butter" was in no way shape or form actual peanut butter. To be honest it felt more like peanut butter flavoured marzipan.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    We started the chili on trick-or-treat night because it was something my wife could start in the crock pot and forget about for most of the day. Then when trick-or-treat is over, time to eat. It's been a pretty good tradition.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    The "peanut butter" was in no way shape or form actual peanut butter. To be honest it felt more like peanut butter flavoured marzipan.

There are non-Reese's peanut butter cups to be had, and many are not chalky and weird. Personally I like these but ymmv.

I am another who got no trick or treaters and did nothing, though I am pretty sure that is because I live on the not-great side of town and everyone drove their kids to the nice parts to trick or treat. Had to grind my way through them coming home.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We had one trick or treater, a cousin of my wife's. Yesterday though we still had like half a million people without power in Maine and a lot people just didn't go out because many neighborhoods had no power. On the plus side, we have a bunch of candy left over.

My wife grew up in the projects, Halloween was a big deal for them because they'd walk to Burger King for dinner, which was a huge treat, and then go out trick or treating. Somehow that tradition has lasted (we're now 40) so every year on Halloween we get Burger King like it's still the big deal it would be for a broke low income housing kid. I find her dedication to this weird tradition really fun.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Wait, is chili on Halloween a thing? Because every year, my dad makes big pot of turkey chili for us to eat over the course of the evening, and the years we don’t do that, it’s chili loaf.

Chili....loaf?

• Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    Last night I wasn't feeling super great so I did the put all of the candy in a big pot with a sign on it that says "Please take one. Happy Halloween!" I at least put a little effort into and put a picture of Halloween box costume DVa on it. I checked on it and all the candy was gone after like, 1 hour. I put 3 bags worth of candy in it. I'd like to think that we have a lot of kids in the neighborhood and I didn't buy enough but the most likely thing is 1 kid took all of it.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    For the record white chocolate is great and I love Zero bars.

Reeses is still king though.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I never understood that as a kid. The candy isn't the point.
    Auralynx wrote: »

There are non-Reese's peanut butter cups to be had, and many are not chalky and weird. Personally I like these but ymmv.

I am another who got no trick or treaters and did nothing, though I am pretty sure that is because I live on the not-great side of town and everyone drove their kids to the nice parts to trick or treat. Had to grind my way through them coming home.

The best peanut butter cups I have ever had were the Roundy's Select brand. I say "were" because they only had them for a few months. Low shelf life, maybe?

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular

Chili....loaf?

Yup, it’s fairly a thick chili con carne, wrapped in bread and baked in the oven. Have to figure out how I can make it at some point, it’s been awhile.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    That sounds unbelievable

• Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    the cheat wrote: »
    I didn't have a costume for this year sadly, but I liked my outfit. I'm wearing this lace, bat wing shrug, and my bag is a black skull.

vJKKJkR.jpg

@Nija and I went to Knott's Scary Farm. It was my first time going to a Halloween-themed amusement park, and it was a lot of fun.

sorry I missed you, I was working at one of the mazes. forgot to post about it at all this year. :redface: glad to hear you had fun, though.

That's awesome! Which maze?

Dark Ride.

hey, motherfuckers, don't forget about discount candy day.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Huh, at our work we discount our candy the 31st. Other places don't do that? We basicly don't want to see the stuff anymore by Nov 1st.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i just spent eleven bucks on four pounds of candy, don't @ me

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Huh, at our work we discount our candy the 31st. Other places don't do that? We basicly don't want to see the stuff anymore by Nov 1st.

most places here sell discount candy for a few days after up to a week. I never heard of discounts the day of the holiday, that seems like a bad business move.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Look, I dislike peanut butter, and understand complaints that American large-scale chocolate company chocolate is crap.

But Reese's peanut butter cups are fucking awesome.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    people's bad opinions of reeses pb cups is what causes true xenophobia

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular

Chili....loaf?

Yup, it’s fairly a thick chili con carne, wrapped in bread and baked in the oven. Have to figure out how I can make it at some point, it’s been awhile.

this sounds vaguely similar to the way I like my chili - my mother's always made a mean chili con carne and a heck of a buttery, sweet cornbread, and I figured out how to blend the two separate parts of the meal together in a way that's thick as a bowl of oatmeal

• Options

y'all been brainwashed.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

y'all been brainwashed.

I mean, sure, a true pb cup is like worlds better

but

still

reeses

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Reeses cups are chalk chocolate

Reese's peanut butter cereal, however

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Look, I dislike peanut butter, and understand complaints that American large-scale chocolate company chocolate is crap.

I never said they weren't good, just that the peanutty filling isn't actually peanut butter.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    americans fucking love peanut butter and europeans find it really goddamn weird for some reason

• Options
    peanut butter is awesome

• Options
    Peanuts should largely be reserved for peanut sauces, and crushed on top of things.

Related: why is it kind of hard to find crushed peanuts here? Back home you can get giant bags of crushed roast peanuts for sprinkling activities.

• Options
    peanut butter is used in SEA peanut sauces because peanut butter is goddamn delicious

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    All cereal is bad.

Except Puffins.

Puffins are wonderful.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    puffins are a bird

please don't eat arctic birds sandra

• Options
    Peanut butter and honey makes an excellent sandwich.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Peanuts should largely be reserved for peanut sauces, and crushed on top of things.

Related: why is it kind of hard to find crushed peanuts here? Back home you can get giant bags of crushed roast peanuts for sprinkling activities.

just use your peanut crusher tool and get uncrushed ones nbd, every house in america has one

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    All cereal is bad.

Except Puffins.

Puffins are wonderful.

As someone who spent approximately two years of her life eating Count Chocula for breakfast nearly every day, I disagree
    I'm actually way more likely as an adult to have toast or porridge as a quick breakfast now, but I absolutely bought Cookie Crisp in my first American grocery order, to make up for years of deprivation after it got pulled from Canadian stores early in my childhood

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

I never said they weren't good, just that the peanutty filling isn't actually peanut butter.

what's the defining factor here

when does something stop being peanut butter