As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chimera's Midweek Movie Monster Mash! [b-movies from 80's and 90's]

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Chimera wrote: »
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I was going to get some sleep, but I saw this thread so I figured I'd check out what it was all about. I'm super sad to have missed the start of this.

As for recommendations, do you accept parodies of B-movies? Because everybody has to experience Attack of the Killer Tomatoes at least once.

-edit- Also I'm impressed that site doesn't support Edge, but does support Opera.

Well now that is a timeless classic but is two years too old! We have already had a parody horror on in the form of TerrorVision! If you got any suggestions from the 80's and first half of the 90's I'd love to hear them!

Well there are always the not quite as classic sequels, Return of the Killer Tomatoes! (1988), Killer Tomatoes Strike Back! (1990) and Killer Tomatoes Eat France! (1991). Return of the Killer Tomatoes! even features George Clooney in one of his earliest roles.

Another suggestion would be something from Troma like Class of Nuke 'Em High (1986) or Surf Nazis Must Die (1987).

Those are all prety good choices and will likely find there way into the block in future shows!

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I love House II. Watching it before the first movie was very weird.

Some Troma movies would definitely fit in here perfectly.

Yeah but I feel it is slightly better than the first. The first will likely sneak in at some point.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Is CHUD to obvious a pick?

• Options
    doomybear wrote: »
    I saw Dead Heat on TV once, and it was fun!

If you're looking for more material, BirthMoviesDeath is a pop movie site that has some features that go over older, less well-known or less critically acclaimed movies, and a bunch of them are from the 80s - The Savage Stack and Everybody's into Weirdness articles by Jacob Knight. On these lists, Rolling Vengeance and Hard Ticket to Hawaii look promising.

Shaw Brothers' kung fu films are fun, too, but most of their catalog is pre-80s. Still, you've got Masked Avengers for more kung-fu cannibals, and Five Elements Ninjas is fun.

I have no idea how you'd stream them, though, other than buying them off of Amazon or something.

Once I exhaust the options on YouTube I may look into that. Shout also has a bunch of movies too.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    Oh wow. I remember seeing Terrorvision in the early 1990s on late night TV. Probably TBS? I had completely forgotten what it was called, but thanks to this thread I now know again!

That's how I first saw it too, it used to be on semi regularly.

• Options
    Is CHUD to obvious a pick?

Of course not! CHUD is on my list of movies to get in! <3

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

Yeah but I feel it is slightly better than the first. The first will likely sneak in at some point.

The first is just a straight up weird horror/thriller movie where he fights flying skeletons with a shotgun.

The second is a wacky comedy with horror elements between fart jokes and Cheers cameos.

Such a weird direction to take.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Oh wow. I remember seeing Terrorvision in the early 1990s on late night TV. Probably TBS? I had completely forgotten what it was called, but thanks to this thread I now know again!

Do you remember a guy wearing a bolo tie when you watched it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEAwlsBT6Q

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Chimera last night was amazing and reminded me what it was like to be a starry eyed child watching HBO long after I was supposed to be in bed because Parents didn't understand age ratings in the 80s.

HOWEVER.

I'm 35 and I am so fucking tired right now and had to be "on" at work and I blame you for any poor diet choices I made.

Next Wednesday I'm calling it at 11.

Also you rock

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options

The first is just a straight up weird horror/thriller movie where he fights flying skeletons with a shotgun.

The second is a wacky comedy with horror elements between fart jokes and Cheers cameos.

Such a weird direction to take.

I mean, with all the skeletons in the closets blasted away with a shotgun what other direction could they go with a sequel?

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

I don't remember if Joe Bob Briggs was featuring this one when I saw it, but I do remember seeing his show occasionally. And I also remember being very surprised when he turned up in Face/Off of all places.

• Options

GASP! You remember Monster Vision? This was the direct inspiration for my show and also why I chose to do the 8pm until dawn format!

Also I live in Texas, I see far too many bolo ties to remember any one in particular.

• Options
    Monster Vision and MS3TK first introduced me to kaiju films, which is my absolute favorite genre of movies. Expect to see a lot sneak into the weekly shows!

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Chimera last night was amazing and reminded me what it was like to be a starry eyed child watching HBO long after I was supposed to be in bed because Parents didn't understand age ratings in the 80s.

HOWEVER.

I'm 35 and I am so fucking tired right now and had to be "on" at work and I blame you for any poor diet choices I made.

Next Wednesday I'm calling it at 11.

Also you rock

God SOOOOOOOOOOOO ancient! You're really giving the CryptKeeper a run for his money! Thank god I've still got my youth and am only 30.

Chimera on
  • Options

I don't remember if Joe Bob Briggs was featuring this one when I saw it, but I do remember seeing his show occasionally. And I also remember being very surprised when he turned up in Face/Off of all places.

Yeah, honestly I am really sad that most people don't remember Monster Vision and TNT basically became redneck TV.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Monster Vision and MS3TK first introduced me to kaiju films, which is my absolute favorite genre of movies. Expect to see a lot sneak into the weekly shows!

Yeyeyeye

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Ilpala wrote: »

Yeyeyeye

If you look closely, Godzilla Versus Mechagodzilla is in the stream promo poster.

u3h89g0ctopx.png

• Options
    ...also I always route for the monsters, ALWAYS.

• Options
    edited November 2017

Since you're also a local, maybe you know about these guys.

http://www.monsterattackteam.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/MATfightmonsters/
    https://captainco.com/monster-attack-team-10/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MATmonsterattackteam

Monster Attack Team had a local cable access program for a while like 15 years ago. I only found out about them when they started showing up at A-Kon a few years back. Really cool dudes. I wound up buying all of their fanzines, which have some very interesting articles. Like one about the kaiju movie Ed Wood made with the US government. They also interviewed Man or Astro Man, the band from Space Ghost Coast to Coast. Don't know if you're familiar with them, but now you know!

They even brought Tak Sakaguchi to one A-Kon to answer questions and put on a quick stunt show before debuting his latest film, Yakuza Weapon. Which is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTs-mM4A6TQ

I once won a contest in the Steam thread (I think) asking for the weirdest Youtube (movie?) clip by showing one of the final fight scenes from that movie. Which I'll put as a URL in a spoiler here, because it's incredibly, incredibly NSFW.

The final final fight scene involves a nuclear erection.

Watch Yakuza Weapon.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options

Since you're also a local, maybe you know about these guys.

http://www.monsterattackteam.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/MATfightmonsters/
    https://captainco.com/monster-attack-team-10/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MATmonsterattackteam

Monster Attack Team had a local cable access program for a while like 15 years ago. I only found out about them when they started showing up at A-Kon a few years back. Really cool dudes. I wound up buying all of their fanzines, which have some very interesting articles. Like one about the kaiju movie Ed Wood made with the US government. They also interviewed Man or Astro Man, the band from Space Ghost Coast to Coast. Don't know if you're familiar with them, but now you know!

They even brought Tak Sakaguchi to one A-Kon to answer questions and put on a quick stunt show before debuting his latest film, Yakuza Weapon. Which is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTs-mM4A6TQ

I once won a contest in the Steam thread (I think) asking for the weirdest Youtube (movie?) clip by showing one of the final fight scenes from that movie. Which I'll put as a URL in a spoiler here, because it's incredibly, incredibly NSFW.

The final final fight scene involves a nuclear erection.

Watch Yakuza Weapon.

I'm actually a transplant that moved here from Oklahoma in May. I grew up mostly in Oklahoma and Arkansas as well as brief or seasonal stays in Colorado, London, Paris, and the USVI.

I will have to check all of this out! It seems like it looks all really really fun! My kind of peeps! <3

• Options
    One of their founders went on to write this book and even hosted the sentai marathons for Shout Factory for a while. http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/zyuranger/251895/zyuranger-marathon-hosted-by-shout-factory-coming-this-month

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    One of their founders went on to write this book and even hosted the sentai marathons for Shout Factory for a while. http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/zyuranger/251895/zyuranger-marathon-hosted-by-shout-factory-coming-this-month

I totally read that as hentai and had to do a double take. I was all like, "wait Shout showed hentai?!"

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I've sent Chimera a list of 80s Ozploitation films so hopefully we can get some REAL culture in this shitshow soon

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Ozploitation films? Crocodile Dundee?

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    I've sent Chimera a list of 80s Ozploitation films so hopefully we can get some REAL culture in this shitshow soon

Did you send BMX Bandits?

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options

Yes but only the second one.

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »

...go on. Tell me more. Is it like Mad Max but in a skate park?

• Options
    edited November 2017
    New art!

https://i.imgur.com/TnfkMc0.gif

EDIT: Forgot about the size limit on gifs, NSF56K, 61MB size.

Chimera on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Yes but only the second one.

543108.jpg?b64lines=SSBLTk9XIFRIT1NFCiBXT1JEUyBCVVQgVEhBVCBTSUdOIE1BS0VTCiBOTyBTRU5TRS4=

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017

I didn't suggest BMX Bandits since i thought it was well known in the US! It's like an Australian Goonies, with a group of neon-clothed kids (including a young Nicole Kidman) who ride BMX bikes and foil villains.

Here's the entire 'critical reception' for it on Wikipedia:
    The film was released in the UK. The Guardian wrote: "there's a girl called Nicole Kidman who's rather good".

simonwolf on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    EDIT: Damn, wrong thread....

21stCentury on
  • Options

I didn't suggest BMX Bandits since i thought it was well known in the US! It's like an Australian Goonies, with a group of neon-clothed kids (including a young Nicole Kidman) who ride BMX bikes and foil villains.

Here's the entire 'critical reception' for it on Wikipedia:
    The film was released in the UK. The Guardian wrote: "there's a girl called Nicole Kidman who's rather good".

So I already have the line ups set for the next two weeks but I am thinking that the 29th will be an Australia night and even have aussie themed music and commercials.
    (Get ready to be offended as they will be for fosters and outback steak house and trailers for crocodile dundee)

• Options
    What is that crazy kids' show that @Gatsby kept talking about? That might be a fun 'short' to include since they're 30 minute episodes, I think.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I'm not sure but find out so I can include it! Also @Gatsby would be fun to have watch with us! <3

• Options
    Here it is. Lots of episodes on Youtube it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPxJ6RR40ZU

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    "My favorite episode was the water sprite who enabled the little kid to win the pissing contest by making his jet go over the wall of the toilet block."

"My favourite was the one where the tree spirit impregnated the boy when he took a piss up it."

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    BMX Bandits was on steady rotation on cable movie channels in the US in the late 80s.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    New art!

https://i.imgur.com/TnfkMc0.gif

EDIT: Forgot about the size limit on gifs, NSF56K, 61MB size.

@Chimera

How did you get that VHS effect?

I have a project that could use a similar effect.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Go fuck up a blank VHS, play it, and record the results.

....or PM me your email and I will send it to you rights free.

• Options
    Also the line that scans upward is just the warp distortion tool on Premier Pro. I put it in an adjustment layer and also added noise to the layer. To get the chromatic aberration just take your video and make three copies of it on separate layers and make them so only one of the three RGB colors are at 100% on each one with one layer for each of the three colors. Once you do that set the blending mode to screen and then off set on of the layers size so that instead of scaled 100% it is 102%. I recommend using the green or blue layer.