As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sysadmin] Nightmare fuel

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    So we decided to go up to this model CPU: Intel® Xeon® E5-2680 v4 2.4GHz,35M Cache,9.60GT/s QPI,Turbo,HT,14C/28T (120W) Max Mem 2400MHz

@Cog

I sold him on almost 100% more thread/core count.

Nice thing is, with EVC mode you don't have to worry too much about matching hardware anymore when you add hosts down the line.

Yeah we were discussing that and I said our next host can be more beefy if we think we need it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Also holy shit one drive just started up randomly as I was watching my task bar.

Stop trying to make one drive happen microsoft.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Also holy shit one drive just started up randomly as I was watching my task bar.

I mean

I rather like it in enterprise if you're on o365 it so far for me has been properly in the 'just works' category

...log explosions notwithstanding

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

That and frikken Cortana (which I can't still believe they chose to name like that)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Would be totally neutral on Cortana if you could just shut the goddamn thing off.

One of our client's vendors believe's it's a good idea to, every night, generate an uncompressed .bak file of a 450gb SQL database onto local disk, and then have the SQL reporting server restore that backup via UNC path over it's own copy of said database.

They don't want the reporting server to just point at the live data because that would impact performance.

You know what else impacts performance? Restoring a fucking half terrabyte database from your production server's disk, over the network. Oh, look at that, according to the agent job logs, the reporting server also now thinks the .bak file is corrupt.

Great job, assholes!

I'm not even a DBA and I know you're doing it wrong.

would it even really impact performance noticeably?

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    They should probably just be doing log shipping to keep the database they are reporting off of up to date rather than restoring off a full backup.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Or you know, just have the Reporting Server connect to the database. But then you need to make sure your table shemas are not pants on head stupid with appropriate keys and indices. And don't do 3 joins in a query.

• donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    Why the hell is this one user profile acting like a roaming profile on this specific server even though it's not set as one and doesn't act this way on any other machine and no other profile acts this way on this specific server.

steam_sig.png
    edited November 2017
    donavannj wrote: »
    Why the hell is this one user profile acting like a roaming profile on this specific server even though it's not set as one and doesn't act this way on any other machine and no other profile acts this way on this specific server.

because windows

have you deleted/renamed the profile folder and deleted the associated registry keys* so it re-makes it from scratch?

*in HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

because windows

have you deleted/renamed the profile folder and deleted the associated registry keys* so it re-makes it from scratch?

The Powershell-iest thing ever.

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular

because windows

That's the standard way of shortening HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, though?

because windows

Sure but HKLM:\ is used within powershell, like a drive letter.

because windows

The thing is, none of those on this specific machine exist unless I'm explicitly signed in as the user account. I sign out from the account and log in as an administrator account and they disappear from the registry. It's not set to act this way and doesn't act this way anywhere else. And, again, it's the only profile affected by this problem on this machine.

steam_sig.png
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular

because windows

The "registry hive as a drive letter" ... notation was what I was referring to.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    HKLM is just the standard abbreviation for explosive ordinance disposal.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.

because windows

The thing is, none of those on this specific machine exist unless I'm explicitly signed in as the user account. I sign out from the account and log in as an administrator account and they disappear from the registry. It's not set to act this way and doesn't act this way anywhere else. And, again, it's the only profile affected by this problem on this machine.

Did someone mistakenly stick their account in the local Guests (or Domain Guests) group? Members in those groups will have their profile folders and registry keys deleted on logout.

HKLM is the standard abbreviation for "I am Windows and you are now my bitch" tbh

because windows

Did someone mistakenly stick their account in the local Guests (or Domain Guests) group? Members in those groups will have their profile folders and registry keys deleted on logout.

Just looked at the local and that's a no. It was already a no on the domain side as that was the first area I checked and tested.

Gonna give the server a reboot tonight and try a few things.

steam_sig.png
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular

because windows

The "registry hive as a drive letter" ... notation was what I was referring to.
    Yeah, I saw it after I posted, bleh.

• twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    you know it's a good day when you bring three new WAN links up in one afternoon with no issues/carrier involvement to resolve anything

this has never happened before and I feel like I've won a championship or something

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    twmjr wrote: »
    you know it's a good day when you bring three new WAN links up in one afternoon with no issues/carrier involvement to resolve anything

this has never happened before and I feel like I've won a championship or something

I don't believe you.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

I don't believe you.

You also think it's Friday.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

I don't believe you.

http://isitfriday.org

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Or you know, just have the Reporting Server connect to the database. But then you need to make sure your table shemas are not pants on head stupid with appropriate keys and indices. And don't do 3 joins in a query.
    If there has ever been a useful report that has fewer than 3 joins in the query....

I haven’t ever written it.

Apothe0sis on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

I don't believe you.

Who makes these sites? And is it the same person?! So many questions.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Would be totally neutral on Cortana if you could just shut the goddamn thing off.

I mean, you can.

2yj2yceq15bw.png

kpqfbn8omj9x.png

jungleroomx on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I don't believe you.

At least one of those questions is answered for you right in the link.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited November 2017
    My afternoon client was a new it manager who took over for an it staff that abruptly quit. She needs help getting everything unfucked because they were the laziest most incompetent gaggle of fucktards ever to fake it ‘til they failed to make it.

They have a GPO that adds Domain Users to the local administrators group.

Yeah, it’s linked to the root of the domain.

I can fix that but now there’s critical shit all over their servers that’s running on user credentials because it’s been the goddamn Wild West for 3 or 4 years.

Plus before I fix any gpo or gpo their way out of any of their messes I have to fix their FRS replication because 3/4th of their GPOs are showing AD/Sysvol version mismatches.

This is gonna be ugly.

Cog on
    Jesus it might actually be better to burn it down and begin again.

yeah at that level you're better off starting from scratch

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

I mean, you can.

2yj2yceq15bw.png

kpqfbn8omj9x.png

I literally shuddered when I saw that you have your taskbar on the right.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I don't believe you.

At least one of those questions is answered for you right in the link.

Read? Too much work, I'll email the help desk instead.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Jesus it might actually be better to burn it down and begin again.

Yeah in all honesty i'd create a separate domain on a separate subnet, put a router or layer3 switch between them, trust the domains to each other, and slowly migrate shit over.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I mean, you can.

2yj2yceq15bw.png

kpqfbn8omj9x.png

I literally shuddered when I saw that you have your taskbar on the right.

It's how I've always done it.

Don't know why, just don't like it at the bottom.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular

I don't believe you.

Finally

You guys.

Show you how to disable cortana for permanents and I get taskbar discriminated.

Unbelievable.

Hey guys, why is jrx still here?

have you tried not being so bad

I mean, if you're in the mood for lynching over taskbars, my home PC's taskbar is on the top on the left display and on the right of the right display. Not matching them is intentional on my part.

At work, though, that taskbar stays on the bottom always and forever.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.