As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Candy Corn Vampires, Hocus Pocus, And Other Signs That It's [Halloween]

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Look, I dislike peanut butter, and understand complaints that American large-scale chocolate company chocolate is crap.

But Reese's peanut butter cups are fucking awesome.

I never said they weren't good, just that the peanutty filling isn't actually peanut butter.

what's the defining factor here

when does something stop being peanut butter

It helps if it's peanut butter, and not some sort of sugar paste that has been coloured and flavoured.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    You're not the boss of me, Pip!

Also Nic... baking aisle?

I get chopped peanuts from the baking aisle or bulk dry goods.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

this is the real answer, it'll be next to the chopped almonds and stuff.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Look, I dislike peanut butter, and understand complaints that American large-scale chocolate company chocolate is crap.

But Reese's peanut butter cups are fucking awesome.

I never said they weren't good, just that the peanutty filling isn't actually peanut butter.

what's the defining factor here

when does something stop being peanut butter

It helps if it's peanut butter, and not some sort of sugar paste that has been coloured and flavoured.

coloured with peanuts and flavoured with peanuts though

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Is it though?

I realize this is a "lol americans do food bad" meme we're doing, but it is legitimately peanut butter:

https://www.hersheys.com/reeses/en_us/products/reeses-peanut-butter-cups.html

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited November 2017
    bowen wrote: »
    I realize this is a "lol americans do food bad" meme we're doing

No, not at all. The phrase 'peanut butter' conjures the mental image of something that can be spread on bread with a knife, perhaps even stored in a jar. The stuff in Reece's Peanut Butter Cups is not that.

As I stated earlier it seemed much more like peanut-flavoured marzipan to me.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited November 2017
    There are multiple types of peanut butters with varying levels of spread-ability regarding sandwiches. The ones you find in candy typically are not sandwich peanut butters.

I'm not sure why this is a difficult concept.

bowen on
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It is peanut butter, however, I just read this on wikipedia:

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are made with the controversial ingredient PGPR (Polyglycerol polyricinoleate, E476, a.k.a. Palsgaard 4150),[22] which is used as a replacement for cocoa butter.[23] The FDA has determined it to be "safe for humans as long as you restrict your intake to 7.5 milligrams per kilogram of body weight.

It is unknown how much PGPR is in a RPBC. Presumably a very tiny amount, but I wonder how many you'd need to eat to get a harmful dose.

So I should avoid eating a whole bag of them I guess.

• builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    I love Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and peanut butter. Hate chocolate. So it's more about the chocolate to peanut butter ratio for me. Reese's Pieces have even more of a peanut butter-y taste to me, so I like those a bit more I think.

steam_sig.png
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the best thing in the world is a white chocolate reese's peanut butter cup that's been sitting in a fridge for a few hours

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

this is the real answer, it'll be next to the chopped almonds and stuff.
    Yeah I've looked there, I don't remember if they didn't have it or if they did but it was vastly overpriced

probably the latter

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Bleh, I hate that.

I don't suppose you live near a grocery that has bulk dry goods? I find the cheapest option for nuts and oatmeal and grains and rice to be bulk dry good shops.

I was going to recommend locating a co-op but sometimes I try to step off being the most insufferable human.

E: you know, to being a slightly tolerably insufferable one

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The local hipster supermarket might be worth a shot, actually - though their bulk goods are a bit of a crapshoot. Otherwise, theres always ... Pemberton Farms

Actually I'm used to picking crushed peanuts up in Asian groceries, but h-mart was a wash and Chinatown is such a pain to get to. Anyway there are probably options if I hunt. Just surprised in such a peanut focused culture there weren't proper bags of the stuff on every shelf.

You could just buy a big bag and smash it with a bat or snail mail it to yourself from another country and both will probably get you some nice crushed peanuts.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I got two bags of reese's pb cups for trick or treaters this year

I got exactly one trick of treater.

I'm going to die, aren't I?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited November 2017
    Naphtali wrote: »

I got two bags of reese's pb cups for trick or treaters this year

I got exactly one trick of treater.

I'm going to die, aren't I?

I will take one off your hands so you don't die, naph. I know, I know, I am a righteous and great person for sacrificing myself for you and I am in no way doing this just to get free reese's.

bowen on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    americans fucking love peanut butter and europeans find it really goddamn weird for some reason

Sounds like they just don't like George Washingtons in general, then.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    You could just buy a big bag and smash it with a bat or snail mail it to yourself from another country and both will probably get you some nice crushed peanuts.

Yeah, when I'm doing something that requires crushed peanuts I just buy a jar of salted peanuts, eat most of them, and then wrap the remainder in a towel and go to town with a meat tenderizing hammer.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    builderr0r wrote: »
    I love Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and peanut butter. Hate chocolate. So it's more about the chocolate to peanut butter ratio for me. Reese's Pieces have even more of a peanut butter-y taste to me, so I like those a bit more I think.

Why eat peanut butter cups at all then, when you can eat peanut butter with a spoon?

Calica wrote: »
    builderr0r wrote: »

Why eat peanut butter cups at all then, when you can eat peanut butter with a spoon?

people look at me funny when I bust out the jar and a spoon at work

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    You work with weirdos.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    For like a week every couple months I get super duper into peanut butter and just crave it all the time. I'll go through one of those big kraft jars in like 2 weeks.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Reese's PB cups are awful

Reese's pieces are so much better

Peanut butter is generally good

White chocolate is delicious, but I wouldn't have it with peanut butter.

Reese's PB cups are awful

Reese's pieces are so much better

Peanut butter is generally good

White chocolate is delicious, but I wouldn't have it with peanut butter.

ಠ_ಠ

*scribbles in hatebook again*

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    peanut butter cups are good so are peanut butter snickers

edited November 2017
    I really miss peanut butter twix, the ones from the 80s and 90s, not the shitty ones they have now with caramel mixed into it.

bowen on
    Time for another forum food fight!

Crunchy peanut butter, as is true and the light and the way,

or,

smooth peanut butter, which is an aberration and a blight on the history of all human achievement.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Every time crunchy vs smooth comes up smooth wins out by like 55% to 45%. It's pretty close.

Creamy peanut butter is MUCH more versatile, though. You can always add peanuts to peanut butter if you want it more chunky, but removing them is so far past a chore I don't think anyone would truly bother.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    You don't remove the crunchy peanuts from the butter, you remove them from your teeth.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I don't like peanuts but I like peanut butter.

they're both good.

yeah I prefer smooth but if someone gives me crunchy I ain't gonna poo poo it

well eventually after I'm done I guess

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Crunchy peanut butter is good for things that are normally one solid texture, imho, where the crunch adds a lot. Like on brownies or in ice cream or something. But on a sandwich I'd just rather have creamy. And I only cook with creamy when recipes call for it.

• grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Uriel wrote: »
    I don't like peanuts but I like peanut butter.
    opposite for me. i wish i knew these candies you're all talking about :/ we don't have reese's.

grrmusha on
    Peanut butter M&Ms are so superior to Reece's Pieces it's barely even a contest.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I got no strong preference for peanut butter. The only time I slightly prefer smooth over crunchy is if I'm making a PB&J on homemade bread, because it's a slight hassle to spread crunchy peanut butter on soft bread without tearing it up some.

I really like some crunchy peanut butter on griddle toast with a little drizzle of honey, though. Breakfast of champions.

GDdCWMm.jpg