As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Gifted - An X-Men-Ass X-Men Show

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Re: that scene
    I was waiting/hoping for that one girl who was watching them to wait until she could tell they were loyal to The Underground, and then when Caitlin was about to cut Trader open go "God, don't do that. Move. I'm a healer"

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I forgot to mention that she watchs the show too and she was wondering why the situation sounded so familiar.

She said that her gut reaction to the scene in question was, and i quote
    Karen wrote:
    Ur an idiot (Momma strucker)
    Plus the kid looked woozy

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    When Caitlin was all
    talking about getting painkillers and shit I thought it would have been a nice callback to have the woman who could take people's pain away show up

she can't heal but like, this is literally a thing she would be extremely useful for

but no I guess not?

maybe her and her daughter successfully got away and weren't around at the compound

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    When Caitlin was all
    talking about getting painkillers and shit I thought it would have been a nice callback to have the woman who could take people's pain away show up

she can't heal but like, this is literally a thing she would be extremely useful for

but no I guess not?

maybe her and her daughter successfully got away and weren't around at the compound

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I watched this week's episode last night and have a few thoughts
    1. Personal Cloak guy is dead. They removed a bullet, but left the gushing artery untouched while they sewed up his skin. Internal bleeding in his gut is going to kill him. Or it would if this wasn't TV medical treatment. The writers could have handled that much better.
    2. I do like how everyone makes mistakes, but for the most part they aren't idiot-ball mistakes and the type that real people would likely make if they were put in similar circumstances.
    3. From the previous episode, I thought there was an allusion to painkiller lady and her daughter getting picked up by Sentinel Services.
    4. There is a bit of a possible hand-wave happening if just one sight of Prosecutor guy is enough for all of the various safehouse searches to be called off. I guess we'll see next week how that turns out.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Regarding baldy and his situation:
    He's going to hate them now? Oh gee, what is he going to do? Throw them in jail? Shoot them dead?

No change, there. Only reason we don't have more bodies is magic TV operating.

If he's under some kind of guidelines they're not going to go away because of this. They're not very strict as is.

Granted they should have just taken him to a safe place FIRST, but TV again.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Pony wrote: »
    Finally got around to watching these week's episode
    what they do to Jace is enormously fucked

it wasn't intentional, Dreamer specifically shouts that she can't leave him like that and it was a result of her mind probe being interrupted

But the end result is monstrous

Jace will hate all of them forever and I completely understand why, God knows I would

Also that was some fucking TV-ass medicine wrt to the dude who got shot

Fun fact: there are no circumstances under which "we have to get the bullet out" is an urgent part of the medical emergency of someone being shot.

Never.

Thinking this way literally kills people and historically has done so.

Bullets aren't made of fucking uranium (except when they... are but that's a war crime and besides the point), when someone has gotten shot the emergency is the damage the bullet has done.

If a bullet is lodged in someone, it doesn't actually do anything. In fact, many people who survive getting shot go on to have bullets or pieces of bullets in their bodies for months and sometimes years. The damage is done. Bullets don't continue to drill into people or cut them up inside or something after they have been shot. They do not have magical anti-coagulant powers that will cause a person to endlessly bleed unless you get the bullet out.

There are incredibly rare edge cases where a bullet might be lodged in a place you don't want it staying,
    but the last thing you do in that case is emergency surgery in a non-sterile environment and shit and for God's sake never just jam something into the entry wound to dig it out. There are no levels on which that is how medicine works.

None of this is unique to The Gifted, it's just one of those "TV writers don't know how guns work" things. A person getting shot in the gut is an incredibly serious and imminent emergency that often does require immediate surgery, but none of the reasons why have to do with the bullet being in there.

Meaning, you can still have that scene, still have that drama, still have the neat bit of Lauren holding an artery closed with her powers, but without hack stupid writing because either you don't know how shit works or you think the audience won't.

The Tick had a scene specifically about this, it was pretty cool.

The medical person was like are you an Idiot, stop that immediately

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    Watched this week. I enjoyed the slightly slower pace and setup for the next bit of the story. Plus, more background and worldbuilding was good. I am still interested in seeing where this story goes.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Watched this week. I enjoyed the slightly slower pace and setup for the next bit of the story. Plus, more background and worldbuilding was good. I am still interested in seeing where this story goes.

I was disappointed in suburban mom backsliding in her journey away from being an insufferable suburban mom. The rest I think was a pretty good development.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Regarding baldy and his situation:
    He's going to hate them now? Oh gee, what is he going to do? Throw them in jail? Shoot them dead?

No change, there. Only reason we don't have more bodies is magic TV operating.

If he's under some kind of guidelines they're not going to go away because of this. They're not very strict as is.

Granted they should have just taken him to a safe place FIRST, but TV again.

Well, it turns out the answer is
    he allows Dr. Campbell to join in, which seems pretty fucked up and he was saying no to before,
    and he doesn't seem to give a flying fuck about even the thin veneer of due process anymore

But, I guess that's not as exciting as dead people

edited November 2017
    Given what the government's been up to on top of what we've actually seen the suddenly worrying about warrants rings a little hollow.

They were plenty sketchy before this in all ways, pretty much.

Xeddicus on
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Given what the government's been up to on top of what we've actually seen the suddenly worrying about warrants rings a little hollow.

They were plenty sketchy before this in all ways, pretty much.

I think what you are supposed to take from all that is that he is beyond even the thin veneer of lying to himself now.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    What are the bets that
    Mirage Boy is the first step in building an ersatz Danger Room? Because that's where I thought he was going before the truck thing for sure. Also kudos for telling that kid to stop pretending he's the only hammer and all the problems are nails, teamwork, it's good!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I'm finally watching this, saw the second episode last night and holy shit I'm impressed

I never expected to see an X-Men adaptation that puts the whole mutant metaphor/hated and feared theme front and center the way this does, and I don't know if I've read any X-Men stories that do "mutants as an oppressed minority" as smart and effectively as this has in the first two episodes

The flashback with the family at the bowling alley in particular really worked well, with Lauren watching her dad not stand up for the bullied mutant girl, and the conversations with the Sentinel Services agent put in just the right amount of islamophobia/War on Terror allegory.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i am very glad blink got a new shirt in this week's episode

6vjsgrerts6r.png

I'm dreading the triangle they're brewing with Blink, Dreamer and Thunderbird.

Or maybe they won't and he'll just go with Blink, which may be realistic and avoids the triangle, but I just don't see it. And poor Dreamer.

Should just avoided the crap from the start and just made them happy together, shocking. Instead we get this.

you gotta be watching a different show than me if you think anything even remotely appears to be setting up that triangle

6vjsgrerts6r.png

I may be reading into stuff like:

"That look you gave me, was that real." and instead of saying "Sorry, no." it was left open ended and them being put together and bonding.

But I'm not. :P

yes, you are

and also ignoring pretty vast swaths of plot before, during, and after any of that

and also projecting some pretty shitty ideas

it's a real hat trick you're pulling

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I caught up to tonight

this is a good ass show

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    It wasn't until last week that i realized every episode has a capital X in the title.

steam_sig.png
    I watched the show this week. I'm noticing a trend with a certain power type and how it seems to influence personalities.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    I watched the show this week. I'm noticing a trend with a certain power type and how it seems to influence personalities.

Yeah psychics have boundary issues

edited December 2017
    Also i was surprised time bomb was the one to stop them

Sleep on
    Yeah, I'm glad they aren't going for the power fantasy approach and considering the moral and likely implications of using their powers. There were a lot of bad decisions made in this episode, but to be fair there was also an outside influence at work affecting judgement.
    What are your thoughts on Telepath girl? My guess is that the one plant by Trassk was the obvious one intended to be found, while Telepath girl is a second deeper plant. However, she might also have her own agenda, since much of her pushing was to manipulate people into acting so she would obtain something and not necessarily get everyone caught. She strikes me in a lot of ways of someone who has almost always gotten their way via manipulations and doesn't really know how to deal with people without those manipulations.

I am interested to see where they go with the brother and sister pair. Hollywood doesn't do good brother/sister relationships very often, and they are still handling the teen siblings situation portrayal pretty well. It can be frustrating at times, since they are also stupid teenagers, but they aren't too one note either and there is some complexities to the characters and the relationships. I liked that it was Andy who said if we do this, we'll kill everyone and not being willing to make that choice. I also liked that Lauren was hesitant around their combined use, but part of the hesitation was how much it pulled on her and how much she wanted to experience it again.

Finally, they really need to teach people fine control of their abilities and ways to positively use things so they aren't just weapons. Maybe there'd be a nice school up in Westchester New York where they could work these things... ohhh.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    On the telepath
    While her being a second traitor would make a ton of sense, I'm not entirely sure it's actually the case. They seem to be setting that up a little bit too forcefully, and I am thinking that if there's a second traitor it's actually one of the other ones (maybe the little girl?).

I think what they might be doing is pulling in some more of her comics characterization,
    such that it is physically painful for her to be separated from her sisters by too great a distance, and that's why she's been acting kind of sketchy.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Perhaps the telepath
    has four identical sisters.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Perhaps the telepath
    has four identical sisters.

On Esme the telepath
    That is my take as well. I felt silly for not figuring it out in the first episode with her. Stepford Cuckoos and/or White Queen could make for an interesting super powered villain team. They are building up to Emma Frost in a lot of subtle ways. Nothing definitive, but the show has been bringing up people and places she used to run with.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    is there a comic series this is loosely based on or just label it an X-Factor original

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm on episode 4 and I hate the teenage boy a whole lot

I'm on episode 4 and I hate the teenage boy a whole lot

I call him time bomb
    although given the last episode I might have to rethink that code name

Yeah, stupid all over:
    Blink can open portals all over the place without meaning to, but doesn't have an escape plan of any sort ready?

Why did Dreamer close the door?

Why did they let themselves be captured when they've seen what happens? You don't need to kill everyone by dropping the building, just everyone in the room with you, then walk out.

If they can't do that this is why it's stupid they didn't practice. It's clearly controllable ala the evil wonder twins.

They're half assing this war for survival.

They're not the X-Men, they don't have the X-Mansion or a Danger Room or leaders with experience fighting Sentinels and super villains.

They're a bunch of scared refugees who are forced to fight.

edited December 2017
    blink got to wear an even more fashionable new outfit in this week's episode and i am still unsure why her fashion is so important to me

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

blink got to wear an even fashionable new outfit in this week's episode and i am still unsure why her fashion is so important to me

It's not a piece of X-Men media if it's not explaining the secret origins behind the fashion choices of its characters

edited December 2017
    They're not the X-Men, they don't have the X-Mansion or a Danger Room or leaders with experience fighting Sentinels and super villains.

They're a bunch of scared refugees who are forced to fight.

Exactly! And some of them have shit all else to do but learn to fight with their powers. So get on it!

Xeddicus on
    But they do have things to do. They're getting a constant stream of mutant refugees they need to help, smuggle out of the country, and set up new lives for. They're not rich like Xavier so money is a constant struggle. Just getting food and basic supplies is a risk. And medical supplies are going to be even harder to find. Just meeting all those basic needs takes a lot of time and effort.

Yeah, I'm honestly really happy about this X-Men team that isn't a paramilitary strike force. Like, they've got what, three people who know how to fight (and have combat utility to their superpowers) on a good day? That's a nice change, and it reflects the part of the comics that I always loved.

I actually like that their whole plan went to shit and that their opponents aren't that easily tricked

Sleep wrote: »
    I actually like that their whole plan went to shit and that their opponents aren't that easily tricked

I've really enjoyed some of the work that's been done humanizing the antagonists. Like, they work for Mutant ICE and hang out with Garret Dillahunt, an actor who exclusively plays scummy villains - I should have absolutely zero sympathy for them. But Jace's story has been real heartwrenching, and you can see a whole lot of where he is coming from. And that makes things like him figuring out the plan feel weirdly good? Like, yeah, good fucking job Jace, you figured it out, you needed a win.