As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's almost Helaween and that means it's time to Ragnarok and Roll. (Out Most Places Now)

SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man inWesterosRegistered User regular
edited November 2017 in Social Entropy++
DLKEfeJUEAAq5lC.jpg

Celebrate Helaween this year with a trip to the cinema

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqNn14l7hhA
Taika Waititi brings us a delightfully colourful adventure set in Spaaaaaace and I for one am looking forward to it almost as much as another space-based film released later this year.

Early reviews are very positive, with particular praise for the streak of humour throughout.

There's no thread yet, but I have seen this and it's very good

7qmGNt5.png
D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
Snicketysnick on

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    A+ would recommend, big slabs of humour throughout, callbacks to previous Thors galore and so much colour all over the place.
    and the cameos...ha! I missed it in the credits but I could have sworn that was
    Matt Damon and Chris Pine
    as the leads in the play.

My only real criticism is that A) things jump around a little bit too much, which makes B) Hela being (sadly a running thing with Marvel) being a mite underdeveloped more noticeable. She's got a good starting point for a motivation but "I just want to rule the universe but I can't get out of my back yard" doesn't really go very far.

7qmGNt5.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    JFC google, maybe don't throw what is probably a spoiler for the movie in the "people also ask" section when i search for the release date.

steam_sig.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Snick how did you see this already?
    Did other countries get this before America? The most important country???

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Europe rules, USA drools

(Official release is Thursday I think, but some cinemas are doing limited early screenings starting today)

A week of "International" is par for the course with Marvel these days, but the extra couple of days is new.

Booo Toys, I shall put a US date in the title if I can find one..

7qmGNt5.png
  • Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Posted this in the movie thread:
    I just saw Thor: Ragnarok and what a delightful, fun and funny movie full of great moments :biggrin:

I personally found it way way way more fun and funny than any of the GotG movies.

Cate Blanchett was fingerlickingly awesome!!! :+1:
    Karl Urban as Skurge was great!
    Tessa Thompson was amazing.
    The gladiator fight is fantastic.
    I could keep summing up great things, but the list would get too long, and maybe spoilery.

Just accept it as a sci-fi comedy and enjoy it.

Favorite duo : “I am Korg, and this is Miek”

Best laugh-out moment:
    ”Ha! That is what it feels like!”

I’ve also noticed that Marvel movies differ slightly from the trailers, like for example in Spiderman Homecoming:
    where you see Peter get kissed, but that doesn’t happen in the movie

Well, in Thor Ragnarok there is something where you will say “that’s different from the trailer” but you’ll understand that it would be very spoilery.

Great great great movie, 10/10, will see again, recommended.
    (saw it in Belgium, first day of the release)

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
    About the cameos:
    IMDB says that it was Sam Neill as Odin, Luke Hemsworth as Thor and indeed Matt Damon as Loki.

But Surtur is Clancy Brown!

Of course, the best “cameo” is Taika Waititi himself :biggrin:

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    This movie took a bit to get going, but once it was there, it fucking stayed at 11 the whole damn movie.

This, if all the Marvel movies, feels the most like a comic book to me.

edited October 2017
    Ha (cameos)
    Yet another Action Chris would be good, but Budget Hemsworth is even better :P

I really liked how Thor fights in this one, right from the off, it felt more true to the comics, lots of variety compared to previous outings, which were "I bonk it with my hammer" ( :winky: ) plus
    at the end I am pretty sure he did a Raiden lunge right out of Mortal Kombat, which was rad

*hang on
    that bug dude is actually called Meik and it's not just fun Kiwi Mick?

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    *hang on
    that bug dude is actually called Meik and it's not just fun Kiwi Mick?
    Yup, it was called Miek in the subtitles.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    So Thor was pretty great!

Major spoilers
    The Good:
    - Thor was great. I like his looser personality here. His scenes with Hulk were some of the better scenes in this.
    - Tessa as Valkyrie was also entertaining. She gets some solid funny and awesome scenes in.
    - Every scene Cate Blanchett was in. I may be biased. But every moment her hair was down was like hnnngh.
    - Talking Hulk gave him a whole new dimension not seen in his previous appearances.
    - The Soundtrack wailing over Thor kicking ass was excellent.
    - Grandmaster was hugely entertaining every time he's in a scene. He's just so weird!
    - the end credits and music was perfect 80s electro/synth/idunnowhatitscalled music.

The Bad:
    - They kill off Cate Blanchett! C'mon, Marvel! You always kill off your bad guys! (Storywise it make sense to finish her off, but still.)
    - They unceremoniously kill off the Warriors Three (But Hogun managed to be more badass, at least)! And where's Sif??
    - In the first half of the movie the switching between the two storylines (Thor in Sakaar, Hela in Asgard) were a bit on the rough side. I mean, it's serviceable enough, but you've seen better, ya know?
    - the CGI fights. I mean, on the one hand I love Hela just owning a whole army, but on the other, but sometimes the CG gets a bit too obvious?

It's a solid watch, especially if you're already a Marvel fan.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Is the music in the movie similar to the music in the trailer?

Pretty much yeah, it's a great soundtrack, more instrumental than say GOTG but very evocative

7qmGNt5.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I have just one question, only need a yes or no answer
    In fact I'll spoil the question just to be double safe
    do we get a version of Skurge's last stand at Gjallerbru?

YES

It's pretty sweet

7qmGNt5.png
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I can't seem to find a specific Thor thread.
    I liked it. I liked how Hela looked. I liked that they added details like make up to her once she was in charge. I didn't like that the teased fight with Surtur and Hulk was abandoned, and I didn't like that Hela MAY be dead. She's a goddess so there is hope as I was really hoping she'd end up with Thanos, plus it's just a waste of a character. I also had some issues with the editing where there are lots of cuts showing the same scene from different angles but no consistency between positioning of people.

I'd be very curious in seeing how the scene of Mjolnir's destruction went from back alley to that green place. I assume that isn't Broxton(sp?) but I hope that is where the Asgardian's end up.
    But it was really, really funny, and introduced a decent female villain to the franchise.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Blew guardians of the galaxy 2 out of the water and i really liked gotg2 too

A pity that the main villianess were a little bit too 1 dimensional though

Peas on
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Blew guardians of the galaxy 2 out of the water and i really liked gotg2 too

A pity that the main villianess were a little bit too 1 dimensional though

I agree completely,the sci stuff was better than GoTG2 and the humour was much funnier.

This is probably my favourite marvel film now, it's amazing.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I have to wait until March for this??

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    This movie comes out in 11/3 in the US because we put the month first. Just in case snack wants to change the title or keep everyone confused. I am fine with either decision point.

Rest of the world gets first dibs on the film, so we also get first dibs on the date format

7qmGNt5.png
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    I have to wait until March for this??

Yes.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Awesome movie!

The beginning was a little weird with the pacing and maybe a bit too many funny bits, but everything was so fun and crazy that the good vastly overshadowed the bad

Valkyrie was great, hope she becomes a regular

Biggest laugh
    The story about Loki turning into a snake when they were kids

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Ooops not Halloween thread.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Got my tickets for Thursday night. First time I'm going to a thursday show in a long time. Hype is real.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Thursday shows are awesome now that “midnight release” means 7pm Thursday night.

pjivb8gz8a61.jpg

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Just got back from this; it's a really odd duck compared to the rest of the Marvel movies, but it's very good!
    First act could've been better executed, but I get that there's a lot of Dark World related plot points that need to get cleared from the deck so that we can get to the really crazy stuff on Sakar.

Odin's death was probably the thing that came furthest out of left field for me; also, the Doctor Strange cameo felt super unnecessary? Especially considering how he actually didn't do very much in this movie.

The fight choreography in this was excellent, especially the Surtur fight at the beginning.

Only other complaint I have is Mark Ruffalo casually dropping a slur related to the Romani people ends up in the final cut of the movie. Really pulled me out of it.

[IMG][/img]
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Saw Thor.

Really liked it! That is all I wanted to say.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I thought this was really really good, and it's easily the best MCU movie since...I dunno, Iron Man 3? The action sequences were probably my favorite action sequences in any MCU movie, for one. The music was really good, and fit the tone of this movie really well.

My biggest worry going in was that the jokes were going to overpower everything else, but I feel like they struck a nice balance. And! It did a very good job of tying in the MCU continuity without it feeling like an anchor around the movie's neck.

Spoilery thoughts!
    It's a testament to how much I liked this movie that it featured cameos from the Worst Hemsworth and the star of maybe my least favorite MCU movie and...they were actually good, fun scenes. The Doctor Strange sequence alone was more charming and inventive than anything his own movie was able to produce, which...I guess that's faint praise, given that I just said I didn't like Doctor Strange BUT STILL

I think my favorite thing in this is how they handled Thor and Loki, and how they managed to get them to a place where they were believable allies at the end. They are family, and Thor spurring Loki to actually grow as a person by outsmarting him was a really nice touch. It would have been very easy to play Thor as a large, blundering idiot, and they come right up to the line on it a few times, but one of my favorite running bits is that there are multiple scenes where they set it up like Thor's fucking up, or that he's being kind of an idiot, only to reveal moments later that he was at least one step ahead.

All in all, it was very good, and I'd love to see another Thor movie from Taika Waititi, even though I'm reasonably sure we probably won't get one

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I would say that this is a the best and most memorable Thor movie, but that's doing it a disservice.

Really, really loved it. Everything clicked for me, and most of the jokes landed (and some really well).

I think the tone may be a bit too much for some people.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I was prepared for how funny this movie would be but I wasnt close to prepared for how good the action would be and how fantastic the character work would be. I dont like rating movies this early out but it feels very close to Ironman 3 in terms of quality and tone.

Quire.jpg
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Well, I'm experiencing an emotion I never thought possible: disappointment in a Thor movie

It's still far and away the best one on virtue of being the only good one, but I felt like it was 70% a Regular-Ass Marvel Movie and 30% the fun Taika Waititi romp I was sold on it being, which you could see represented in the score, which SOMETIMES sounded like Mark Mothersbaugh and most of the time sounded like a standard action movie score
    Talking Hulk was damn-near disastrous

I don't know whose fault it is, I don't think it's Ruffalo's, whatever needle they needed to thread with the whole production of that, they missed it by a pretty wide margin

Cate Blanchett also didn't really amount to much, she mostly played the same kind of scene over and over and was then, of course, killed off

I thought it was gonna be one of the top tier really really good Marvel movies and instead I got a good one, which is fine

I hope it does very well and Taika Waititi does not return so he can spend his cred on more small movies he has complete direction over

6F32U1X.png
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    I really wish this movie had more Hulk.

That is not me saying that it didn't have enough Hulk. It is me saying that I fucking loved Hulk in this movie. Way more fleshed out than any previous film adaptation.
    I was not expecting feeling so much for him not wanting Thor to leave. I was absolutely not expecting the self-harming fit he has when he sees the video of Black Widow.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I really liked it, but I thought the first half moved too quickly. We're barely 5 minutes on Asgard before the entire Dr Strange scene plays out, and Odin is dead.
    The best example of this is Odin says "Look at that" and I feel like I could have blinked and missed the entire shot showing that he was pointing at the sky.

Was not expecting them to just merge Hela with Angela like that, that's a bit of a letdown, but I guess they don't really want to deal with a character that would take a whole movie on her own.

Hulk is great, Valkyrie is great, Hela is chewing the scenery and vamping like mad, Loki is Loki, and Thor is still just a great big lovable doofus.

Dedwrekka on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I liked it! Some of the humor fell flat for me but overall I found it very funny.
    The flat stuff came from the Rock Guy. I just didn't care for any he was offering.

I was fully expecting Loki to bite it while reigniting Surtur, but I guess they are saving that for Infinity War. I liked talking Hulk, seemed to be the young teenage stage that PAD touched on a bit during his run. Banner wasn't as good though. And Hela should've had more to do. Valk was awesome. And Skurge was great. Goldblum was Goldblum. I'd love to know if anything of his was scripted.

I loved the "Are you the God of Hammers?"

Bring on Black Panther.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    After credits stinger was great
    "..Good job everyone, it's a tie..."

Dedwrekka on
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Spoilers regarding deaths and whatnot:
    Why do people keep saying Hela died? She just got pushed into the ground. Nothing up to that point had any effect on her, including being run completely through multiple times and super duper lightning. She could even make one of her giant weapons to protect herself and just float through space forever.

And even if she did die, 50% of her lines in the movie were stating, over and over, that she’s the goddess of death. If Thor has lightning powers, I’d imagine she might have something similar but...with death. Hell, getting blown up could even be a powerup.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Yeah, if they want to I don't think there's anything stopping them bringing her back.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    Badablack wrote: »
    Spoilers regarding deaths and whatnot:
    Why do people keep saying Hela died? She just got pushed into the ground. Nothing up to that point had any effect on her, including being run completely through multiple times and super duper lightning. She could even make one of her giant weapons to protect herself and just float through space forever.

And even if she did die, 50% of her lines in the movie were stating, over and over, that she’s the goddess of death. If Thor has lightning powers, I’d imagine she might have something similar but...with death. Hell, getting blown up could even be a powerup.

Also
    She gets her power from Asgard, and like we know because they beat us over the head with it, Asgard is its people, and the people are floating around in space