As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[.hack Discussion] Weird name, cult following. G.U. Last Recode out November 3.

QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
Didn't see one, so I thought I'd start a thread on this series with .hack//G.U. Last Recode coming out tonight.

A Cliff's Notes version of both game series.

hack_q10.jpg

4 games make up the first set of .hack games, though there's no 'official' name for the series as a whole. People have called it .hack R1 based on the Revision of the MMO you play in game, and you might see it called .hack//IMOQ by making an acronym out of each title of the 4 games.

'As the game begins, Kite logs into The World for the first time, his best friend Orca showing him the ropes. However, he soon witnesses Orca get attacked and Data Drained by a strange enemy known as "Skeith", who is chasing a white-haired girl who does not appear to be either an NPC or a player. Kite is whisked away by unknown forces before the same fate can befall him, and receives an item called The Twilight Bracelet, which allows him to use Data Drain himself. Learning that Orca's player has been in a coma ever since being attacked in-game, Kite begins a quest to find out what exactly is going on in The World and how to save Orca.' - taken from TV Tropes.

hackgu-last-recode-release-date-revealed-gu-tri.png

The second series in .hack is the .hack//G.U. series, which was originally a 3 game trilogy, though a 4th chapter was recently added with the remastered version.

'Taking place after the events in .hack//SIGN and the original .hack games, the popular MMORPG "The World" is open for business yet again. Well, the new World. The old one was destroyed when the servers mysteriously burned down. The new world is a bit Darker and Edgier these days with all the Player Killing. The PKK (Player Killer Killer) from .hack//Roots, Haseo, has become legendary in his own right. As a hunter; he has killed hundreds of Player Killers and has gained the title The Terror Of Death. Yes, the same title the first Boss in the first game series had. He is hunting down a mysterious Player Killer known as Tri-Edge, for this mysterious Tri-Edge PK'd Haseo's friend Shino, and she fell into a coma in real life.' - taken from TV Tropes.

-hackg-u-last-recode-525869.13.jpg?oxjgqf

.hack//G.U. Last Recode is a remastering of the second series, along with several additions. A 4th chapter was added called 'Reconnection' that follows Haseo returning to The World a year after the events of the last chapter. It includes all videos from the Terminal Disc from the 3 games, which the first 4 files gives you a rough recollection of the events of .hack R1. Other updates include the ability to 'cheat' with various ways to speed up the MMO-style grinding of the game, along with a mode that basically overpowers you to simply enjoy the story.

.hack//G.U. Last Recode comes out November 3 for both PS4 and Steam.

wbee62u815wj.png

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Awesome, thanks for making this thread. I'm definitely getting the remaster tomorrow. Gotta support .hack and CC2 wherever I can. G.U. made me a fan of CC2's games.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Goddamn... alright, now I remember why the trilogy took so long to get through. They just overstuffed the game with flavor content in a way so that you could know EVERYTHING about this alternate reality. I now remember logging off the game and reading all the new stuff in the News and Forums area of the 'desktop' every time I went through a new part of the story. And that's even before all the side missions unlock in the game.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Wait....this is out TOMMOROW?! Hell.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    I can't remember if I ever beat GU. I know I did the first series, and I dug it overall, even if the mechanics left something to be desired. I think I might've got bored of this one in the 2nd game or so.

Probably pick it up if the PC port ends up decent.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I loved GU.

50 bucks for the original trilogy and a new chapter is a great deal.

• Options
    I just watched some video of this, and there is definitely a Japanese language option that flips the voiceovers to Japanese.

I think I will stick to English because that's what I'm used to, but it's really cool that it's there.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I played through 3 of the originals as they came out but it seemed like the third one was just so much filler.

Is the experience better when they're all put together?

• Options
    I played through 3 of the originals as they came out but it seemed like the third one was just so much filler.

Yes. it really is more like one game split into multiple chapters. so 3 ends up being the unfortunate one pacing wise, since you've already got all the setup, but they're waiting for game 4 for the payoff.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

Yes. it really is more like one game split into multiple chapters. so 3 ends up being the unfortunate one pacing wise, since you've already got all the setup, but they're waiting for game 4 for the payoff.

Sounds like you're talking about IMOQ and the person you're replying to is talking about GU.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »

Sounds like you're talking about IMOQ and the person you're replying to is talking about GU.
    The context makes it sound like they're talking about IMOQ as well.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »

The context makes it sound like they're talking about IMOQ as well.

Huh, yeah, it kind of does.

@initiatefailure Which are you talking about? IMOQ or GU? "All put together" makes me think you're referring to this GU remake.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Hello, yes, I am cult.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    IMOQ Part 3 starts by attempting to murder the player in real life. Go on like 3 solo dungeon runs in a row before you get to create a party. Lol no we didn't balance this, why do you ask?

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Just got my copy.

If I can be an old man for a moment: looking at the back of the box, seeing all 3 titles listed out, I'm reminded of how we had to wait for each volume to release. Now I have all three plus a new episode in one package. It hasn't been that long since the ps2 era I know, but sometimes the future is pretty cool.

Renzo on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I look forward to taking a break from AC: Origins and digging into this tonight. Not played GU before so it will be all new and fresh for me.

• Options
    I did all of the things in each of the first four games. I stopped playing because there wasn't anything left to do.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I never played the gu ones. Sorry. That was based on the first 4-part one.

I was reading the release like they had packaged each series into a combined game. Does that only apply to the GU ones?

initiatefailure on
  • Options

I was reading the release like they had packaged each series into a combined game. Does that only apply to the GU ones?

No re-release for IMOQ because it aged worse. If GU sells good (might be rough considering the holiday game-pocalypse) maybe they'll do a new one.

• Options
    oh ok. well... that works for me, I never played those ones anyway!

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I've never played a .hack except for like 30 minutes of the very first one, I'm told these are fine to get into without knowing anything?

• Options
    Yep!

• Options
    I've never played a .hack except for like 30 minutes of the very first one, I'm told these are fine to get into without knowing anything?

Yes, the IMOQ plot ended and any references to it in GU were along the lines of Easter eggs.

• Options

No re-release for IMOQ because it aged worse. If GU sells good (might be rough considering the holiday game-pocalypse) maybe they'll do a new one.

Yeah, if you watch the reports on the Terminal Disc that comes with Last Recode, it shows footage of the last series. And it hasn't aged well at all. I had assumed this was a litmus test for the popularity of .hack. I think we can look forward to a .hack reboot if it sells well.

.hack on Namco's newest engine, or whatever the last Naruto games ran on would be pretty awesome.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    There's technically a lot of recurring characters, but, uh, they're playing new characters. Because it's a game.

• Options
    except like one or two who are actually playing literally the same character.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Piros 3 doesn't count.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    Piros 3 doesn't count.
    Natsume.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    PLA wrote: »
    Piros 3 doesn't count.
    Natsume.

Well... does Natsume REALLY count? Is she REALLY the same... ?

It's always the quiet ones...

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    While the new World is said to have more playerkilling at the time, some players in the old one gained quasi-political influence by banding together and promising to clean up the streets, basically.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Alright I gotta say the forum arguments are pretty funny.

• Options
    I had completely forgotten how SAVAGE Haseo is in the beginning. You could call him an Edgelord in the beginning, but after the first big cutscene he loses all his cool and is an unrelenting asshole for the first handful of hours. You can almost see the aura of rage around him having to LOWER himself to what he's doing... it's great to watch. :biggrin:

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I've watched SIGN (and Legend of the Twilight, if that counts) and played the Quadrilogy, so the whole of //G.U. in one place is very nice. .hack is a really cool concept and I'm glad it's getting more exposure again.

• Options
    I've watched SIGN (and Legend of the Twilight, if that counts) and played the Quadrilogy, so the whole of //G.U. in one place is very nice. .hack is a really cool concept and I'm glad it's getting more exposure again.

Probably could watch ROOTS if you get into GU. There's an 8 month gap in the game between Haseo first logging in, and first seeing him as The Terror of Death. The anime covers that time period mostly.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    mon ami

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Amore.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    So I bought this thinking it was the first series of games. I actually had no idea that they made three more.

So my initial confusion and disappointment of “Wait... these aren’t the games I played.” disappeared when I realized “Oh shit, this is four new .hack games I’ve never played!”

• Options
    Europe didn't get them before.

• Options
    Does your equipped weapon change the appearance of your weapon in battle in this game?

• Options
    I don't remember for sure, but I think so. I don't think there are a lot of weapon models, though.

• Options
    So is the new version like super sped up?

I ask because I saw people before saying each game was like 30hours and could be longer if you did a lot of side stuff.

But I'm at 14 hours and I think near the end of game 1?

Which isn't a complaint, honestly if this same amount of content was spread out over 30hours that would have felt very bad. Just curious if people were over estimating the length or if xp just used to be THAT much slower.