As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

THE THREAD OF SHRED [GUITAR]

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    get it appraised first then look for a luthier for sure

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    My ibanez Jem had a string break finally and since I have never replaced strings on a Floyd rose bridge and the intonation on it is fucked anyhow, I'm gonna get it serviced

Until then I feel like buying a new guitar. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for one that would sound good playing Bon Iver style stuff and/or like, "Peeping Tomboy" Kurt Vile

Does anyone have a resonator they like?

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    I always wanted to pick up a resonator, but it would never do anything outside of get goofed with in the living room a couple times a year so I havent been able to justify the expense

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    My ibanez Jem had a string break finally and since I have never replaced strings on a Floyd rose bridge and the intonation on it is fucked anyhow, I'm gonna get it serviced

Until then I feel like buying a new guitar. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for one that would sound good playing Bon Iver style stuff and/or like, "Peeping Tomboy" Kurt Vile

The bolded is never fun your first time. It gets easier, never gets much more fun though.
    The italicized is never fun but on a Floyd Rose style bridge, once it's set and if you keep using the same gauge strings, you won't need to worry about it for many years. So far "many years" for me is around 10 as that's the last time I changed string gauges and intonated that guitar. I'm about to change it again because I want to put that guitar back into standard E.

If you think you might have the patience and desire to learn to do the thing yourself it can be rewarding. Just budget quite a bit of time. I usually schedule Floyd Rose changes for a weekend day when I have nothing to do so I can get everything set up perfectly and know that it will stay that way for awhile. Great task to work on while watching a football game or a few movies I've seen a dozen times.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Get a Variax. I love mine.

It even does a very convincing resonator, with changeable tunings on the fly.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I still love my magical guitar
    It just wants to be played

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Here’s the acoustic sounds of the Variax

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YusWjO2qZZ4

Not bad for something you can turn into basically whatever guitar you want

I got a couple red oak discs about 2.5" thick and 24-30" dia.

I'm going to let them dry and crack, fill the cracks with resin, and see about making a solid body. Should be fun when they dry!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I got a couple red oak discs about 2.5" thick and 24-30" dia.

I'm going to let them dry and crack, fill the cracks with resin, and see about making a solid body. Should be fun when they dry!

Red oak? Resin? But what about TONEWOOD?!?!?

eeeehhhhhh it'll be electric not acoustic so I'm not sure if it matters so much

mostly I just want to see if I can do it

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Working on my album has stalled. Waiting to receive the drums from my collaborator and waiting for more tech to come in the mail. I thought it would be best to order through the local music shop but man my equipment is really taking its time. There is more writing I need to do but I feel stifled and frustrated so

LETS LEARN SWEEP PICKING.

Quire.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I wonder if exercising my hands practicing my guitar regularly will slow this arthritis or make it worse faster.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I wonder if exercising my hands practicing my guitar regularly will slow this arthritis or make it worse faster.

speaking of this. since i picked guitar back up again, i've noticed if i do any practicing (any playing, really) in the "thumb braced against back of neck" position (vs hooked over the top) i get wrist pain in the outside of my wrist for a few days and cracks a ton while it hurts. does this happen to anyone else?! i don't think my form has changed at all. i think my wrists might just be screwed up, i can't curl with my palms up anymore either

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    Working on my album has stalled. Waiting to receive the drums from my collaborator and waiting for more tech to come in the mail. I thought it would be best to order through the local music shop but man my equipment is really taking its time. There is more writing I need to do but I feel stifled and frustrated so

I put out an album on the 24th and Im getting ready to release another one by the end of the month

Come play with me, I get shit DONE

Knob wrote: »

I put out an album on the 24th and Im getting ready to release another one by the end of the month

Come play with me, I get shit DONE

You serious? Cause damn would I kill for a collaborator or at least someone musically inclined to help me figure shit out.

Quire.jpg
    Depends on whether or not you're in wyoming! The internet collaborator idea has always interested me but to be honest I always wind up backburnering it in favor of live projects and such. So I'd be a rotten internet collaborator, but I'm absolutely available as a sounding board

Knob wrote: »
    Depends on whether or not you're in wyoming! The internet collaborator idea has always interested me but to be honest I always wind up backburnering it in favor of live projects and such. So I'd be a rotten internet collaborator, but I'm absolutely available as a sounding board

California! So nah unfortunately! A sounding board would be really awesome! Ill send you a PM in a bit if thats ok.

Quire.jpg
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Question - anyone know what they're running the guitar through here to make it sound like this? There's a synth in the background as well, but you can hear the guitar pretty clearly at parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QoYAsRgTHU

5gsowHm.png
    Sounds like chorus and reverb.

I programmed some PRS guitars (humbuckers and P90s) into my Variax and a few amps into my Firehawk (rectifier, Marshall stack, Fender Reverb, and a clean sparkly tweed amp) and eeeeeee I’m so happy with my tone

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Slightly Guitar related, but I'm going to be taking a tour of the PRS Guitar factory in Jan. It looks pretty rad.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Malcolm Young (AC/DC co-founder and guitarist) has succumbed to dementia aged 64.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-19/malcolm-young-acdc-dies-aged-64/9165530

• AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    Malcolm Young (AC/DC co-founder and guitarist) has succumbed to dementia aged 64.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-19/malcolm-young-acdc-dies-aged-64/9165530

Shit...

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
    With Petty gone too it’s been a bad year for rock heroes.

With Petty gone too it’s been a bad year for rock heroes.

The last few years have been pretty bad.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Just over a month into playing guitar and my chord transitions feel super slow, particularly to/from F. So most of my time now is just practicing those and I definitely feel like i hit a plateau where im not doing much fun stuff with it. Plus i didn't have much time to mess with it over holiday week.

Maybe I should just find some kind of easy song to practice, I dunno. Or I am working out of the wrong book.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    Just over a month into playing guitar and my chord transitions feel super slow, particularly to/from F. So most of my time now is just practicing those and I definitely feel like i hit a plateau where im not doing much fun stuff with it. Plus i didn't have much time to mess with it over holiday week.

Maybe I should just find some kind of easy song to practice, I dunno. Or I am working out of the wrong book.

Yeah if one instructional book ain't doing it for you, try a different one. Face to face lessons are also invaluable if you can afford them.

I've often been told to spend some time screwing around on a song you like since it's nice to see a bit of end goal

Crossposting this from the music thread in Artist corner
    Im moving forward on my recording project and trying to set up to record guitar in my room. Im pursuing a bunch of possibilities still but my current plan is to use a tiny amp and SM57 and just record that. My room is more or less untreated right now but Im planning on doing treatment after doing some tests. If anyone here has more practiced ears Id love some second opinions on the sound. I need to get this as close to exactly right as I can since my songs have rather elaborate arrangements.

Anyway I also managed to find better midis for some old pieces I wrote last years.

Quire.jpg
    So I've only been playing again for about a year and I'm still not that great but I got a Guitar Center gift certificate for Christmas and now I want to go this weekend and fondle Gibsons

5gsowHm.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So I've been playing the ukulele for nearly 2 years now. I'm not great, because I don't practice as often as I'd like, but I've enjoyed it. I was thinking about moving on and trying out a real guitar, which we have one of in the house. It's electric. Is Guitarsmith a legit way to start or am I better off finding an online course cheap (like I used Center Stage for my uke)?

Will I find this a ton harder than my little four stringed friend?

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    From what I hear Guitarsmith is fine. I just learned songs and bought sheet music when I was learning. I wouldn't play a Ukelele at gunpoint but I would conject that the increased size alone would make it significantly more difficult.

hey any of y'all nerds know any good websites to learn about music theory, chord progressions song construction and the like?

Not for guitar specifically though necessarily though I do own two that I can barely play.

I'd collect some rupees from local bushes and buy Creative Guitar 1 by Guthrie Govan

Thanks much Tube! I'll definitely get a copy of that soon. I am going to try to pick up my acoustic a couple times a week at least from now on too.

I'm looking for another good creative outlet beyond the occasional scribble drawings. I'm also thinking learning more about keyboards as I've been messing with free software synths since I've gotten way into... Electronic musics.

well i still play like trash but now it'll be higher tier trash
    0jdf8e601zp2.jpg

It's lighter than my Epi, which I wasn't expecting

5gsowHm.png
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Anyone have any thoughts about Ovation acoustic guitars? I remember playing a buddies and loved the shape and thought it was a much more comfortable acoustic guitar than anything else. Wife and Daughter and I kicking around the idea of learning guitar together. I haven't played in like...10 years? It's been a long time. Anyways, wife wants an acoustic guitar and I've been leaning to those as a good option for the acoustic/electric and comfort and learning level guitar.

PSN: jfrofl
    I don’t think they’re very good personally, but as beginner guitars I think their reputation is solid. I’m pretty sure ovation do a bunch of plastic backed guitars though, those are horrible. Get something that’s made out of wood.

Yeah I can’t stand Ovation guitars. If you want a good beginner guitar they’re okay but you’d be better off getting a Takamine or Yamaha instead IMO.

A quick google led me to almost nothing but plastic backed guitars (including $1k version which... lol), so I'd advise steering clear and going with Yamaha or Takamine. I don't know that Takamine have real budget options, but their mid range guitars are what I use.

Disclaimer: you probably won't even be able to hear that plastic backed guitars sound like shit until you've been playing for a pretty long time so if you really want one go for it. There's at least one world class acoustic guitar player who uses them and while his guitar does indeed sound like shit, his playing is still extremely good.