As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] The Nightmare Before Christmas- Game Over! Mafia Win! Poor Jack!

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    *I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS

I HAVE GAZED UPON HIS NOT-FACE, AND IT WAS *GLORIOUS*

I HAVE WALKED WITH JACK AMONGST THE BRIAR AND BONES*

Well so much for thinking they were village

mrpaku

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Jack is H3Knuckles

Jack Skellington, the rightful Lord of this place

WHO ARE YOU, LOSTNINJA

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Lostninja

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I thought you heard a whisper, too? Or was the "mafia does the whispers" narrative false all along?

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Phew. Under the wire.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Votes Closed.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Oh my god, I fucked up so badly this game, didn't I?
    ygwizv82cucp.gif

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Oh my god, I fucked up so badly this game, didn't I

I feel *all* of this :(

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Wait, if the mafia can buy wedding rings, that's kind of fucked up. It's a no-risk double kill for each purchase.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Game Over! Mafia Win! Poor Jack!

https://youtu.be/Wv1HX80u5x4

Poor Jack. His party was a disaster. And he felt like he was not any closer to finding Dr. Finkelstein's brain. Not only that, but the guests at the party were dropping like flies. Yet, somewhere, there had to be someone out there ruining everything. The party-goers decided that Lostninja's sour attitude wasn't fun anymore and decided to play with the guillotine. His head rolled across the ground and small roaches carried it away.

Jack then thought he saw someone running around with the brain in the jar and threw a nearby pumpkin at him. But the pumpkin missed and mrpaku and Brody exploded into a shower of poker chips. Jack looked around at his party and sighed "The party is over! Everyone go home. I can't figure out who stole the brain.

Lonelyahava, Sir Fabulous, and JayKaos laughed as they ran back to Oogie's lair. Inside they stuck the brain into a Jolly body, held together with stitches and red cloth. KetBra laughed in his new body and said, "Jack can have Halloween. I will just take Christmas as mine! Ho Ho Ha!"

The Dead

Lostninja Was The Lifeless Of The Party
    mrpaku and Brody Et tu,Jack?

The Winners
    Lonelyahava, Sir Fabulous, JayKaos, and KetBra

Thanks for playing. After I eat I will talk about this game. But honestly, it was close, down to the wire, stuff.

edited November 2017
    Buh, tried to vig JayKaos two nights in a row. Should've known they'd busdrive off him a second time, but I was hoping they'd think I'd change it up.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Sorry everyone, I should've been more proactive with networking and less reticent with trusting @Raiden333 and @LostNinja in particular after they each gave me a snake eyes, but Blue and others were expressing doubts about them and I got all tripped up trying to figure out which group of people talking to me where trustworthy and which weren't, and why Brody came out so strong in my defense despite never talking to me in pms.

Turns out none of the people talking to me were bad. Well, JK talked a bit but I was onto him because of his voting record. At least I had that right.

camo_sig2-400.png
    edited November 2017
    Jack is H3Knuckles

WHO ARE YOU, LOSTNINJA

Village...

LostNinja on
    I guess I'm glad I seemingly wasn't responsible for Jack's death, which I was certain was the case an hour ago (although we lost anyway, so)

K3nuckles! I was 2 for 3 on my guesses! We damn near made it!

LostNinja wrote: »
    Jack is H3Knuckles

WHO ARE YOU, LOSTNINJA

Village...

Yeah, I super screwed you in this one. I apologize for that- I'm super curious to know what the hell the deal with the whispering wind was

Oh, and LostNinja said at one point that I've only ever been mafia once. As far as I know, he is correct. That was the game where the other mafia played a high-stakes game of pushing a wagon on me to throw other people off the trail and all switching to a trailing villager (Sir Fab) at the last minute to clinch a flawless(?) victory. It was Austin, GG, JPants, and Megafrost; I believe the plot was Austin &/or GG's.

camo_sig2-400.png
    I think it was mine.

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Jack is H3Knuckles

WHO ARE YOU, LOSTNINJA

Village...

Yeah, I super screwed you in this one. I apologize for that- I'm super curious to know what the hell the deal with the whispering wind was

It was JayKaos' mafia power.

A pretty bleh one, but it did give me a good busdriver target because if JayKaos died it wasn't a huge loss, as opposed to losing 'Hava or I.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Sorry Lostninja, between jumping on SirFabulous' odd logic, MrTlicious disappearing after I messaged him about Kime I was assuming the three of you were working together. Didn't help MrPaku was getting whispers with your and Kimes name.

The last two nights I was waffling about seering you but figured you had a lot of suspicion someone was snake eyeing you.

Seemed like the mafia had a lot of power access, though I think it wasinactivity that killed the village.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I win!

I take all the credit!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Wait, just for clarification: Me, Aura, and Raiden were alive; doesn't the mafia need a majority to win, or is the assumption that having the kill the next day would tip the scales anyway?

camo_sig2-400.png
    Jack is H3Knuckles

WHO ARE YOU, LOSTNINJA

Village...

It was JayKaos' mafia power.

A pretty bleh one, but it did give me a good busdriver target because if JayKaos died it wasn't a huge loss, as opposed to losing 'Hava or I.

That gave me far more trouble than it should have. The whole time I'm like "this is almost definitely bullshit", but I couldn't leave it alone until it produced/failed to produce a result

edited November 2017
    Also, @Auralynx am I correct in assuming you were a vanilla villager, or were you a special?

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    The Mafia would be able to control the vote from this point, making their win certain.

H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Also, Auralynx am I correct in assuming you were a vanilla villager, or were you a special?

Vanilla, and super lazy in this one. Decent instincts at least.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Roles

Jack Skellington- H3Knuckles
    Jack Skellington- Vig

You are The Pumpkin King! But after the last Christmas disaster, you felt it would be better if the people of Halloween Town kept their Christmas party in Halloween Town. Of course, that doesn't mean some pranksters won't try to ruin the Celebration! As such, you can Ban anyone who seems to be causing trouble at the party.

Win Condition: Find and get rid of all the pranksters who want to ruin Christmas.

Sally- BlueCyan
    Sally- Seer

Jack's plan seems good but sometimes he can be a bit tunnel visioned. That's where you come in. You saw the trouble coming last time and now he'll need you more than ever to find the pranksters who want to ruin the party and maybe hurt Jack.

Win Condition: Find and get rid of all the pranksters who want to ruin Christmas.

Zero- Prada
    Zero- Guard

Woof, woof, bark, woof, growl, bark, Woof!

Win Condition: Find and get rid of all the pranksters who want to ruin Christmas and be a good boy!

Lock- Lonelyahava
    Lock- Vote Manipulator

Jack is at it again! And so are you! Each night you may choose to add or take away three votes to any bandwagon.

Win Condition: Out number the Halloween Town party-goers and ruin Christmas!

Shock- Sir Fabulous
    Shock- Busdriver

Jack is at it again! And so are you!
    Each night you may link two people. Anything that happens to one will happen to the other instead and vice versa.

Barrel- JayKaos
    Barrel- Whisper

Each night you may send an anonymous message to another player, anything you want. PM Grunt's Ghosts the message and who will receive it.

Oogie Boogie- KetBra
    Oogie Boogie- Mafia Vig/Thrall

This time, you will take Jack out for good! You have two powers. You can take someone out of the party each night. You are also protected from being seered as long as Lock, Stock, and Barrel are still at the party. But once they are gone, you'll appear to any seering as you!

I messed up and gave KetBra the wrong version. They were supposed to be immortal until Lock, Shock, and Barrel was alive and the Mafia had a group kill but I accidentally copied the wrong version. I ended up giving the Mafia their group kill on day 2 because of it. Sorry, KetBra.

Santa Claus- Kime
    Santa Claus- Serial Killer

Jack is at it again! And the only way to stop him from ruining Christmas is to make sure he stays in his Holiday is to ruin his Christmas Party. It sucks but you still haven't gotten the smell out of your coat from last time. Each night you may remove a party-goer until none remain!

Win Condition: Get rid of everyone.

So notes:

No one actually bought a Hat made from a Bat. Everyone who tried died before doing so. Nor was the Jack in the Bomb bought. No fun. Two screaming heads got bought but never used. Much like Kime's game, the Snake Eyes was the most bought item. 5 in total got bought, and three used. The Mafia bought two sets of rings, was about to buy a third and mrpaku was going to buy one set. One Flesh Mask was bought and given to Lonelyahava, but she never used it.

The Flesh Mask, btw, would have a chance for some one to get a role for the night, even mafia, and the power associated with it. I would role a d8 to decide who got what.

It really was fun watching everything behind the scenes. I enjoyed that. But yeah, good game and thanks for playing.

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    hm would my snake eyes on JK have seeded him a second mafia if I hadn't inactivused?

This seemed like a good game. Sorry that real life kept making me miss deadlines. This turned out to be a crazier week than I had anticipated.

my rings were gonna go to Sir Faboulous and lonelyahava, which makes me feel a little like the guy sitting on Alderaan with the secret plan to blow up the Deathstar

Or, since we're in Halloweentown, like I nearly made it to the car in my dream before Jason and Freddy turned out to have the keys, and then Freddy threw a pumpkin bomb at me and my family found me burned to death in bed with a machete sticking out of my head

edited November 2017
    This link should show you all the spreadsheet I was using to keep track of things; mind you it reformats info as I got it, so it won't show what I knew when. Also, it's an excel 2010 xlsx file. Oh and apologies to anyone who is colorblind.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9YAOz3gEkJTcmp3U1ZvcVJpUWc/view?usp=sharing

Edit: Huh, it lost the conditional formatting for people's affiliations, along with some other stuff I had. Man, I need to just start using Google Sheets for this.
    Edit 2: Here's an imgur link to screencaps of the actual sheet.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    I bought two pairs of snake eyes and both times the recipient died before they could use them.

Maybe I should rethink this years Christmas gifts.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yessss I was hoping ahava was mafia. The village turned on me, so I wanted them to lose :P. Took out the seer before I left!

Sorry for killing your boss. I would have hoped that would garner me some Christmas good will, but nooooo

Who gave out the fruitcake?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    That reminds me, the Fruitcake and the other way the mafia earned scares:
    You earn scares much like the village, with a few additions:

You earn 2 scares if you are second place in the votes at the end of the night
    You earn 3 scares if your gift kills a village special.

The mafia earned Scares like the Villagers but with those two additional ways.

They never got Scares this way...

Fruitcake- When you are holding the fruitcake, you can't take any actions tonight except either give this gift away or eat it, giving you 5 votes on yourself.

The Fruitcake when from Mafia>Kime>Brody and stayed there.

BTW @Grunt's Ghosts you did a hell of a good job coming up with this game. Cool subject and cleverly thematic mechanics.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oh my god I won a game as Mafia?!?!!!!!

And survived?!?!

I don't think that's ever happened in the whole time I've been playing.

The power.

It's addicting

GG killed it with this game- I'm an old school player from back in the days when we were playing Song of Ice and Fire, and Lost, and Death Note. I don't know if I'm just super nostalgic, or desperate for a game, or if Phalla is something like catch-22 where I come back to it after years and just like, appreciate the layers of it more, *m-aa-aaan*. Likely all of the above. But!

I got the same old chills i remember from back then, and I give GG the big part of the credit for that for pulling together such a sick game, even as part of the losing team. I am now *extra* stoked to get a basement next month, so I can get try to talk Egos into letting me help plan out a Twin Peaks Phalla... with about eight pieces of posterboard and like an entire thing of dental floss stretched out across those back beams downstairs

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    We were not really the most organized of Mafia.

We never bothered with a proboard, kept everything in one thread, and probably made life hell for GG.

This game was ran out of my phone and paper and pencil.
    377xsq2gz681.jpg