As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Fundamentals

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Fundamentals

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    agmikkelsenagmikkelsen Registered User new member
    To be fair, the storytelling is some of the worst, I've ever seen. 4 hours in, and I still haven't gotten the slightest clue, as to what the story is about. Cutscenes are weird AF, and just doesn't feel right.

• Options
    SpinelesSSpinelesS Registered User regular
    I always thought the Origin of the Assassins Creed occurred in an advanced world of "gods" who created humans as slaves. Or something like that.

• Options
    ProwlingmonkeyProwlingmonkey Registered User regular
    Well, Ubisoft did also release a game called Rayman Origins that wasn't really an origin story.

• Options
    darthewokdarthewok Registered User regular
    > To be fair, the storytelling is some of the worst, I've ever seen. 4 hours in, and I still haven't gotten the slightest clue, as to what the story is about. Cutscenes are weird AF, and just doesn't feel right.

Haven't played this one, but that seems pretty par for the course for an Assassin's Creed game.

• Options
    OrblivionOrblivion Registered User regular
    Tycho's expression in the last panel feels very much like Looney Tunes to me, I love it.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    What we really want to know. Did Gabe fuck that snake god?

And was Tycho jealous... or was he the snake god in question?

zepherin on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    What we really want to know. Did Gabe fuck that snake god?

And was Tycho jealous... or was he the snake god in question?

Is it even a question?

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    He definitely got it on with that snake god. No way he passes on it.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    agmikkelsenagmikkelsen Registered User new member
    >> To be fair, the storytelling is some of the worst, I've ever seen. 4 hours in, and I still haven't gotten the slightest clue, as to what the story is about. Cutscenes are weird AF, and just doesn't feel right.

Haven't played this one, but that seems pretty par for the course for an Assassin's Creed game.

Sure. But this just feels far worse. I actually liked the older ones, and didn't have a problem with the story telling there. This just feels unfinished.
    Watch the intro. I'm sure you'll agree.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Remember when we played Assassin's Creed Revelations and finally got some answers? No?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Assassin’s Creed is the Lost of video games

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    darthewok wrote: »
    > To be fair, the storytelling is some of the worst, I've ever seen. 4 hours in, and I still haven't gotten the slightest clue, as to what the story is about. Cutscenes are weird AF, and just doesn't feel right.

Actually I felt that Assassin's Creed II had a pretty good storyline. Both in the basic game and in Brotherhood. Then it went downhill from there with the only upside being pirate shantys.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    wallywestwallywest Registered User regular
    I'm betting this is one of those strips taken directly from an actual conversation, word for word.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    so, AssO?

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular

Correction: Assassin's Creed is the network TV of video games. Any sort of satisfying development would hinder future installments.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Well, Ubisoft did also release a game called Rayman Origins that wasn't really an origin story.

Dragon Age: Origins wasn't really an origin story either--and there wasn't even an established story to originate anyway. In Gabe's defense, "Origins" is a pretty cliche tagline, and usually means about as much as "Rising".

RatherDashing89 on
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Origin software made games for many years. Talk about misleading.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Origin software made games for many years. Talk about misleading.

Plus, I don't think it's set anywhere NEAR the Pacific Northwest.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular

"Origins" is the most meaningless quick-I-need-another-word in game titles (along with "Chronicles").

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    darthewok wrote: »

I have played 3 Ass Cre games and everyone single one of them has a terrible opening including some of the worst pacing and tutorials I have ever experienced.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    In Ass 2 you have to witness your own birth

At least Asp Creed starts you in medias res, even if you don’t know what the res are

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

Rahman Origins' name is a holdover from the original concept for that fame, which would have been an origin story for Rayman. They eventually scrapped that and made it a sequel (of sorts) but kept the. And.

• Options
    JackBeenJackBeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    To be fair, the storytelling is some of the worst, I've ever seen. 4 hours in, and I still haven't gotten the slightest clue, as to what the story is about. Cutscenes are weird AF, and just doesn't feel right.

They went for an In Media Res thing. Where you jump into the middle of the story, and only later do you realize w t f is going on.

When I started playing, I honestly thought I accidentally skipped like the whole introduction cut-scene. I think the story largely fills in once you kill your "second" target (the first being the guy from the first few minutes of the game).

Honestly, I usually hate In Media Res with TV and such... we get it. Some real bad s*** is about to go down, but most of us realized that when we tuned into the episode since some real bad s*** almost ALWAYS goes down. The only interesting thing about it is when the W T F moment has allies pointing guns at each other and you're wondering what would make them betray one another or whatever . But I'm not a fan of it even then.

JackBeen on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    To be fair, I believe the previous games + comics + books established that the Assassin's Order was active prior to the events of this game. Like they started around 465 BCE, over 400 years prior to the events in this game.

So jumping it and assuming this was just the "early days" and then them kind of showing it's the birth of the order... could be confusing.

JackBeen on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    SpinelesS wrote: »
    I always thought the Origin of the Assassins Creed occurred in an advanced world of "gods" who created humans as slaves. Or something like that.

Kind of.

The true origin of all of this started WAY WAY WAY back, with advanced race called the Isu (PreCursors) creating humanity as slave labor like 100,000 years ago (or a million, I forget). Then stuff happened, and almost all of the Isu (and most of the humans) were wiped out in an extinction-level-event. But some Isu left behind tech and such, and some of the survivors bred with humans and intermingled our DNA. Hence why some humans have the ability to access genetic memory in this game.

This is why factions in the past and the 21st century are after some techno-magical artifacts (technology bordering on magic - per Clark's law) that belonged to the Isu.

The Assassin's guild came much later, and was (supposedly) already in place around 465 BCE. They wanted to usher in word peace via patience and sharing of knowledge using this tech if they can, while the Templars want to be benign tyrants and force world peace using this tech to rule.

AC: Origins takes place around 43 BCE. And so far (from what I've played) it's looking like the protagonists are starting the Assassin's Guild. Or at least a new branch in the Mediterranean. So... I don't know if this is a retcon or I still have to play more.

JackBeen on