As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] #12: OWL Stage 3 Returns, Retribution Soon

KanaKana Registered User regular
edited April 2018 in Games and Technology
Overwatch is a team-based FPS by a little company named Blizzard, you may have heard of them.

Here's a Player list of PA Overwatch Folks!

Lots of announcements from Blizzcon!

Blizzard has announced the new hero, Moira, a support aligned with Talon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ETybQd4uRE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tLopqeL9s8

New map!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii3Hce3_fOw

A new animated short!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQfk5HykiEk&t

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
Kana on

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Reserving this post for hero info

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    This is all a bit premature because character stats tend to change a good bit while on PTR, but here's the general stats on Moira as of now:

Taken from this reddit thread, with a few of my own comments added:

200 hp, no armor, no shields.
    BIOTIC GRASP: (LMB, RMB) - healing, resource generation, zoning
    When healing (LMB)
    • Uses resource which slowly recharges (but see damage beam)
    • Heals 75-80 hps (same as Ana, slight more then Mercy) with a 4 second residual heal over time. You can tap a person to heal with using very little resource.
    • Is AOE, so you can heal more then one hero at a time!!
    • Targets like Mei's Freezy gun, has slightly more range, passed through targets.
    • Shields block it, D'va DM does not.
    • Charges Ult
    When damaging (RMB)
    • Recharges resource quickly.
    • Does 30 - 45 dps. 50-75% of Winston damage.
    • Long range!
    • Locks on target but, requires aim to keep it on there. Disconnects instantly if the target reticle moves slightly away from target. It does not act like Sym's beam at all. Aim / Tracking is important here.
    • Blocked by shields, but not by D'va's DM.
    • Charges Ult
    • Damaging targets heal Moira
    • Extremely weak against armor
    BIOTIC ORB: ('e') - her only real damage outside ult.
    • When you press e, you then click left or right to pick which orb
    • While holding left or right click you can press e or immediately fire an orb of the corresponding type
    • Has a 10 second cooldown. Cooldown starts at launch.
    • Lasts 10 seconds (same as cooldown), or 200 damage, or 300 healing, works pretty quickly.
    • Travels as fast as Syms Orb, or Halt. Slows down when it damages / heals people, which means it stays next to them more.
    • Passes through shields
    • Affects things in a radius slightly smaller then Halt.
    • Bounces off floor, walls, roof, objects, etc
    • Deflectable by Genji
    • Absorbable by Dva
    • Can heal Moira
    • Doesn't use resource
    FADE: (on Shift) - her escape:
    • 6 second cooldown
    • Makes you fast (3-4 times speed?), invisible, invulnerable.
    • it is NOT a teleport
    • lasts for less then 1 second.
    ULT: (q) -its a hell of a thing.
    • Long range, hitscan, wide beam.
    • Lasts 5 seconds
    • Does a lot of damage AND healing
    • Bypasses Shields, Dv'as DM.
    • Moira moves faster during her ult.
    • Disables Crouch
    • It heals you when you damage people with it
    • Effectively counters Zarya's Grav, in the same way as Zen
    Misc:
    • Not a DPS hybrid.
    • Multi target burst healing with Healing over time tagged on makes her a strong primary healer
    • To get healed by her, you have to go to her. Mercy has mobility, Zen / Ana can heal at range. Moira has none of these. She CAN orb at a distance, but it doesn't really cut it.
    • Vampire beam is good against Mercy in a pharmercy, so acts as a counter.
    • Damage beam does NOT act like Syms beam - saying it again, because people are not watching the videos and looking closely at how it works.
    • She generates ULT REAL fast. I doubt that will survive PTR.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Is Soldier's DPS so shitty that they'll commit suicide on Hanamura instead of bearing with the rocket cooldown? That just blew me away.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Is Soldier's DPS so shitty that they'll commit suicide on Hanamura instead of bearing with the rocket cooldown? That just blew me away.

Did most of their team just die?

steam_sig.png
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    hahahahaha blizzard skins in Overwatch

yesssss i am genuinely happy

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Huh, is Moira meant to be derivative of Zenyatta in lore? Like how Orisa appropriates Zarya tech?

Oh brilliant
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i think it's more a case of convergent evolution, moira is all genetically engineered science shit and zenny is all robo-magic

uc3ufTB.png
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Also the language of color that Blizzard is employing across the entire game.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I think it's that balls are easy to render.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    @Kana Mad love and appreciate you're the boss of OP, would just request you change it to #12, since the numbers have been incrementing with each thread to help keep track of what is where.

Also Canada takes a map off SK. Lost 3, won Junkertown. Personally I'm cheering for a SK win, but I didn't want a full sweep.

ImthebOHGODBEES on
    Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    So is the winning Blizzcon team having their team skin added to the game like they do with HotS mounts, or what's the deal with that

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Canada with the attack Torb and it worked.

edited November 2017
    These were both in the same bloody game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FitBaUhc3ug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh81dF-PYO4

I can only do so much, team. Maybe the McCree, Soldier, Torb, or Bastion can work on the Pharah who keeps flying behind us? No? Okay, great.

PotG of course went to a Torb getting one kill while his turret got two.

E:
    Prototype Overwatch is funky

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Heals 75-80 hps (same as Ana, slight more then Mercy) with a 4 second residual heal over time. You can tap a person to heal with using very little resource.

Wow, that is a VERY important detail. Anybody know if it's the full heal amount every second that whole time? That would make me come around on her viability as primary healer completely.

Zek on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    they didn't use him yesterday (which is why they lost), but is the USA McCree just his American skin? I noticed for other countries they did the right thing and didn't just put their flag on him.

Zek wrote: »
    Heals 75-80 hps (same as Ana, slight more then Mercy) with a 4 second residual heal over time. You can tap a person to heal with using very little resource.

Wow, that is a VERY important detail. Anybody know if it's the full heal amount every second that whole time? That would make me come around on her viability as primary healer completely.

It's definitely not the full heal amount, but I'm not sure how much exactly it is. People were spraying pretty willy nilly in the Blizzcon streams so it's hard to tell.

I think it's meant to make it easy to top off DPS and such in between fights without draining all your resources, but not enough so that it's gonna help a lot during combat.

I misread "Mama Hong" on the hero concept montage as "Mama Hog" and it just made so much more sense.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    TexiKen wrote: »
    they didn't use him yesterday (which is why they lost), but is the USA McCree just his American skin? I noticed for other countries they did the right thing and didn't just put their flag on him.

no, he'd have the same colors as the rest of the team usa skins

also, all the team uniforms and effect colors are spectator-only things anyway, in tournament play everyone only has the default skins

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    six people private messaged me over different social media accounts to tell me that I am apparently in Overwatch now

For the record, this is me in real life

(photo taken like, 3 years ago; my hair is longer now)

but I'm not Irish and the closest I got to a STEM degree is that I finished like, 80% of a minor in computer science before shit happened

anyway I guess I should come back to this game since I'm apparently in it now, or something

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    are. . .are you a vampire

steam_sig.png
    edited November 2017

listen the whole "gingers have no souls" thing is frankly offensive; nobody has souls, like, we can't prove the soul exists so, whatever

and my teeth have always been like this

and i don't go out during the day because the MC1R gene mutation responsible for red hair happens to induce a high susceptibility to ultraviolet radiation and my family has a history of skin cancer so I'm just being cautious

and I don't enter homes without invitation because that's impolite

and I avoid Christian imagery because Christians tend to be very pushy about conversion and like I noted above, I'm a pretty strongly skeptical atheist type and while I'm not the sort to get into people's business I really don't want them to get into mine

And like, blood sausages are pretty tasty okay? Okay. like have you ever had a really good duck blood sausage? Nice. I can't eat pork though so my options get kinda limited.

*e* On the other hand, I fucking love garlic and believe there's no such thing as too much garlic in food. I will eat raw garlic. Garlic is delicious.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgmOKOnRK38

I really should stay away from Deathmatch for my boxes since it's getting pretty salty

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    So I just got done with a round of Mystery Heros on Junkertown. In the middle of the push to the 2nd point on attack we rolled into 3 Mercies and an Ana plus a Widowmaker for flavor. I was Junkrat.

It took us 6 minutes but we took that combo all the way to the end and no one else died without being rezzed. I ulted 7 times. It was ridiculous.

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    *e* On the other hand, I fucking love garlic and believe there's no such thing as too much garlic in food. I will eat raw garlic. Garlic is delicious.

The illusion is ruined.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular

listen the whole "gingers have no souls" thing is frankly offensive; nobody has souls, like, we can't prove the soul exists so, whatever

and my teeth have always been like this

and i don't go out during the day because the MC1R gene mutation responsible for red hair happens to induce a high susceptibility to ultraviolet radiation and my family has a history of skin cancer so I'm just being cautious

and I don't enter homes without invitation because that's impolite

and I avoid Christian imagery because Christians tend to be very pushy about conversion and like I noted above, I'm a pretty strongly skeptical atheist type and while I'm not the sort to get into people's business I really don't want them to get into mine

And like, blood sausages are pretty tasty okay? Okay. like have you ever had a really good duck blood sausage? Nice. I can't eat pork though so my options get kinda limited.

I'm just confused how you're not showing up in the mirror you have on the wall.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    That's cool. I've been told I sound like Soldier 76 fairly often when speaking online. I blame audio codecs.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
    I have to say nothing makes me tilt faster than a teammate telling me who to pick.

"switch to reinhardt that's who you played last game!"

stupidly i responded that it's not who I played last name. because it was two games ago.

"fine i'm going to report you for account sharing"

???

steam_sig.png
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Dontor wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    hahahahaha blizzard skins in Overwatch

yesssss i am genuinely happy

Pretty good to see them!

It definitely is, but tbh only adding a handful of (some amazing, some decent, some meh) new legendary skins to the base game - not exclusive to any seasonal event - over a year and a half after launch feels... a little measly. Like we got Rein's Eichenwald skin when that map launched, and beyond that the only new base items have been emotes. Don't get me wrong - sit and dance emotes are a big deal and I love them and how they can contribute to how we can nonverbally socialize in Overwatch - but I feel like we should have been getting stuff like these skins semi-regularly since launch.

Also after a three-week hiatus I finally completed a new clip show but it got buried with the Blizzcon news at the end of the last thread so I'm posting it again wooo low-skill PS4 Tracer fun woooo!

Wooo obscure Canadian 90s rock wooo!

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    In fact, sometimes your team actually questions why you’re playing Hanzo. We need something different right now. You’ve never seen the team say, well, if we’re gonna win this match, we better have a Hanzo in the comp. Someone switch Hanzo!
    https://venturebeat.com/2017/11/03/overwatch-lead-jeff-kaplan-on-moira-mercys-troubles-and-fixing-toxicity/2/

The rest of that is sort of confused nonsense though. He admits tanks getting one-shot by targeting the ground is a problem, but it's not that scatter shot is a problem. It's how people REACT EMOTIONALLY to shooting at the ground that's the problem. And that's why I don't see them fixing that nonsense any time soon.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I fought a Hanzo yesterday who couldn't get a pick without Scatter. Last week I saw one get a card for 11 scatter kills and 12 elims total.

Scatter's a one-shot that you don't have to land a headshot with. At least Rocket Punch and Charge require you to put yourself in a risky position.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    From that interview:
    For me, if I’m playing a sniper, I’d much rather play Hanzo than Widowmaker.

This is a big indicator that you've done a bad job when you don't use the sniper to be a sniper, especially when you go on to point out it takes skill and people totally accept a Widow headshot compared to random scatter kill.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    In fact, sometimes your team actually questions why you’re playing Hanzo. We need something different right now. You’ve never seen the team say, well, if we’re gonna win this match, we better have a Hanzo in the comp. Someone switch Hanzo!
    https://venturebeat.com/2017/11/03/overwatch-lead-jeff-kaplan-on-moira-mercys-troubles-and-fixing-toxicity/2/

The rest of that is sort of confused nonsense though. He admits tanks getting one-shot by targeting the ground is a problem, but it's not that scatter shot is a problem. It's how people REACT EMOTIONALLY to shooting at the ground that's the problem. And that's why I don't see them fixing that nonsense any time soon.

I dunno, they've actually commented quite a few times on abilities/situations that they've changed because it didn't feel good to play against, even though they as the developers were happy with the mechanics themselves. 'We don't think it's a problem, but many players do, so we're going to try to address it' makes sense to me, and they've done it before, so I wouldn't rule it out here either.

Spoiler'd for size
    bafIH3v.jpg

so okay

if we get a talon-themed tank, we could have a Talon-only team

Doomfist
    Reaper
    Sombra
    Widowmaker
    Moira
    [A Tank]

... it wouldn't be a particularly good or balanced team, probably (3 dps, 1 defense, 1 heals, 1 tank?) but you would be so nice and coordinated yeah?

edited November 2017
    The best thing about Moira being Talon is that now we get more interactions in the Wacky Adventures of Team Talon

Kana on
    edited November 2017

I dunno, they've actually commented quite a few times on abilities/situations that they've changed because it didn't feel good to play against, even though they as the developers were happy with the mechanics themselves. 'We don't think it's a problem, but many players do, so we're going to try to address it' makes sense to me, and they've done it before, so I wouldn't rule it out here either.

Like what? I can only think of Hog's hook, but I don't think they were ever happy with the bending of space/time it did. Mercy's res they said it was bad for everyone to have one player hiding while others lemminged into a pile on the point. He's also said it's been under discussion since like 2015, but not so much of a tiny tweak as been made.

I think the core issue that's going to prevent it from being fixed is that the appeal of Hanzo is tossing arrows semi-haphazardly downfield and seeing huge chunks of health fall off, or one-shot the weaker ones. So if you add any kind of extra utility to him, or something that would be a huge benefit to his team, that's going to practically require taking his damage down, lessening the core appeal of Hanzo's HANZONESS.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
    Kana wrote: »
    The best thing about Moira being Talon is that now we get more interactions in the Wacky Adventures of Team Talon

oh my god what if Jetpack Cat is Talon

then they are officially Team Rocket

Like what? I can only think of Hog's hook, but I don't think they were ever happy with the bending of space/time it did. Mercy's res they said it was bad for everyone to have one player hiding while others lemminged into a pile on the point. He's also said it's been under discussion since like 2015, but not so much of a tiny tweak as been made.

I think the core issue that's going to prevent it from being fixed is that the appeal of Hanzo is tossing arrows semi-haphazardly downfield and seeing huge chunks of health fall off, or one-shot the weaker ones. So if you add any kind of extra utility to him, or something that would be a huge benefit to his team, that's going to practically require taking his damage down, lessening the core appeal of Hanzo's HANZONESS.

Widowmaker's shot damage being lowered and critical multiplier being increased on headshots was a big one. It meant that potatomakers couldn't flatly one-shot 200 health heroes like Zenyatta anymore, you have to actually land headshots.

I can see them changing Scatter so that aiming at the feet doesn't potato tanks to death, and some fundamental change to Scatter to make skillful use more rewarding. But they're not going to remove Scatter.

A simple scatter fix would be it only detonates if it travels a certain distance, beyond 20 meters or so. At least then it seems like you can lie about being l33t skilz by lucking into a kill. Aiming near the Hanzo's own feet due to an enemy flanking him and getting close, it should just detonate into a spray that says "lolz git gud"

Kana wrote: »

oh my god what if Jetpack Cat is Talon

then they are officially Team Rocket

okay wait related to this like

Moira is the Mad Scientist right? Moira would totally be like "I wonder if I can genetically uplift my pet cat, and also give her a jetpack."

And the answer is "hell yeah you can" so Moira is like "Hey Amelie wait nevermind, you won't care; hey Gabe, check it out, I made a jetpack cat."

"why"

"why are you questioning this gabriel it's a jetpack cat"

and then Sombra is like "we're going to make a billion dollars on cat videos" and even Amelie is like "i take it back Moira that is indeed genius"

team talon is blasting off again

(hire me blizzard)