As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassin's Creed

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Why am I playing Dark Souls what happened to this game?

I like it. I'm glad someone is trying to copy a different combat system instead of just Batman again.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Dark Souls ruined video games

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

This is really silly, this game borrows far more from Witcher 3 than the Souls games

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Hyena mission done

Yes, Assassin's Creed, there you are, give me that good stupid shit

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Hyena mission done

Yes, Assassin's Creed, there you are, give me that good stupid shit

To the west of Giza, there's a cave system.
    Go all the way through and there's a giant Ancients machine that needs silica to operate.
    Talks about the bleeding effect and the nature of real life versus simulations and then it talks directly to Layla.

Sadly no WTF reaction from Bayek. Still, prime stupid AC shit.

euj90n71sojo.png
    Hermano wrote: »

This is really silly, this game borrows far more from Witcher 3 than the Souls games

(Also a bad game)

But yeah I definitely get that feeling, when you're locked on (when lock-on actually feels like working) it feels Souls-ish, when it's you and a crowd it feels very Witcher 3. And stealth feels basically forgotten about in this game

Syndicate had great combat and stealth, it's a shame they felt the need to change just for change's sake

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Stealth is great for me
    I am sorry you're not having the same experience

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Stealth is great for me
    I am sorry you're not having the same experience

Yeah I'm going through the game and stealthing everything, I've barely gotten into combat at all.

LxX6eco.jpg
    There's no minimap and they got rid of eagle vision

Stealth feels practically impossible to me now

Your literal eagle marks everything eagle vision did

I find Senu to be a huge hassle to use!

Your literal eagle marks everything eagle vision did

And it marks them forever, unlike the last two games.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Syndicate had great combat and stealth, it's a shame they felt the need to change just for change's sake
    This after they were getting the crap ripped out of them for doing annual releases and not changing things enough.

Assassin's Creed is starting to feel like it's in the same place as Final Fantasy where nothing can be changed/left the same without people complaining that it's been changed/left the same.

In every release, there is too much/not enough modern day stuff, the combat has been ruined/made much better, and stealth is too OP/no longer any use.

And you can find all of these complaints for the same game.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    People liked Syndicate though

Personally I don't care if a game is annual and never have, I care about whether they're good or not. Sometimes they were and sometimes they weren't, so I don't think the schedule had anything to do with it at all

They just took a year off and came back with what I think is easily the worst AC

There's a rich spread of AC opinions, it's true

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So Phylakes.

Any ideas how to get them to reappear?

There were a few scattered around my map, and now that I'm of a level to fight the first couple all the icons are gone?

I tried angering a base and letting them light the bonfire and just murdering dudes endlessly and no luck.

What gives?

Each one is specific to a region. For example, the first one is in, and only in, Alexandria. Not sure why you can't see their icons, they are one of the few you can see without even visiting a region first. Did you kill one and forget to confirm the kill? Could be a bug, try quitting the game and go back in. I don't know if there are time of day restrictions, but all mine so far have been fought during the day.

Yea it looks like it was just being buggy. They came back after I jumped back in.

Thanks.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Ok. Clearly there's still a ton of shit I'm just not getting, and this thread has been awesome in helping me get in the know...

How in Hades do you actually use the assassin dagger gauntlet in this game?
    Aside from a dive kill in the bath house, I haven't been able to employ it anywhere, which is especially frustrating when you're, say, inside a doorway in a guardhouse and you just want to discretely ventilate a chin in the shadows, and Bayek's always 'BLAARGH WE NEED DANGER MUSIC'

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Get close without being seen, hit Y, you can mash on it without the prompt and if you are in range it'll fire. As long as it doesn't go past the ALERT slowmo then you're good to go. It's pretty reliable for me, I've maxed it out though so it's pretty capable of killing dudes rather than just poking them.

One thing that is a bit different from prior games is that you can't do a takedown from very high up, so no using a guard as a makeshift haystack.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Get close without being seen, hit Y, you can mash on it without the prompt and if you are in range it'll fire. As long as it doesn't go past the ALERT slowmo then you're good to go. It's pretty reliable for me, I've maxed it out though so it's pretty capable of killing dudes rather than just poking them.

One thing that is a bit different from prior games is that you can't do a takedown from very high up, so no using a guard as a makeshift haystack.

I love that someone named @Snicketysnick answered this. Y=triangle, right?

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

I love that someone named @Snicketysnick answered this. Y=triangle, right?

ha

(I guess so? whatever the use horse/box/loot button is on PS4)

7qmGNt5.png
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Ok. Clearly there's still a ton of shit I'm just not getting, and this thread has been awesome in helping me get in the know...

How in Hades do you actually use the assassin dagger gauntlet in this game?
    Aside from a dive kill in the bath house, I haven't been able to employ it anywhere, which is especially frustrating when you're, say, inside a doorway in a guardhouse and you just want to discretely ventilate a chin in the shadows, and Bayek's always 'BLAARGH WE NEED DANGER MUSIC'

The game prompts you "(Y) Assassinate" when you are close and they don't see you or if you are above them and in range. And if they are approaching your hiding spot, grass, haybail, or around a corner you can just keep tapping the (Y) button to do it as soon as they get in range, though i think technically it activates during their yellow alert/initial slowmo bit.

Are you crouching for stealth?

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    You can assassinate from rooftops, it's how I got the first boss in Siwa

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Absolutely, but i think the horizontal lock on distance for air assassination is a lot less than previous games. They almost have to be right underneath you now.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    You know, I just landed on why I think this game has really clicked for me. It's done for Assassin's Creed what MGSV did for that series. Big open areas, loads of options, tactile fighting and sneaking that depends on looking at the behaviour of the guards, rather than vision cones. Plus, as of the Lizard, a pretty solid story so far.

Ah, nice, i've found it pretty squirrelly past the second floor but good to hear!

7qmGNt5.png
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I like it. I'm glad someone is trying to copy a different combat system instead of just Batman again.

You, uh, you mean the system that Batman copied right?

I still miss the flippy shit, dual swords are civilization tho. And you still block arrows with the second one so they're a lot less situational than I thought.

There is a lot that I am liking but the way they overhauled the combat is...eh. Also the bow needs more slow mo trying to aim on PS4 at normal speed with that thing is garbage. I don't know why they didn't go full Horizon with it.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

You, uh, you mean the system that Batman copied right?

I still miss the flippy shit, dual swords are civilization tho. And you still block arrows with the second one so they're a lot less situational than I thought.

There is a lot that I am liking but the way they overhauled the combat is...eh. Also the bow needs more slow mo trying to aim on PS4 at normal speed with that thing is garbage. I don't know why they didn't go full Horizon with it.

While I generally like the combat, I’d actually get rid of the existing slow-mo, since I am constantly getting thrown off when I am trying to aim a bow and the game suddenly goes into and out of slow motion just long enough to throw off my aim. The lock-on could also be a lot better - more than once I hit the special move to take out the heavy with shield only to fly across the screen at some guy with a bow.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I've found the bow to be pretty easy to aim. (and there is aim assist as an option if you need it)
    Maybe not to use in the middle of a melee, but I'm not Green Arrow, so that's fine.
    With practice, I can now use the predator bow to headshot people from around corners, Wanted-style. and that's with a controller.
    I've still not found a situation where I really want to use the warrior bow rather than any other bow, though. Maybe it can do a lot of damage, but I feel I can reliably do more with headshots with any other bow.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I would say that Batman refined the AC combat rather than copied it

Batman took it and made it precise and genuinely challenging

CYpGAPn.png
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Warrior bows have been very important for at least two of the three Phylake I've taken down, both in terms of doing damage but also (especially) in terms of removing interfering mooks from existence.

As long as I don't use the lock on, I can pretty reliably use the predator bow in combat and it feels pretty cool to end an encounter by headshotting a guy as he charges you.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I just heard an NPC call Ptolemy a goose :biggrin:

Also Mrs Rhesus is annoyed at me because I told her that you can pet cats and she hasn't been able to do it yet

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    So something I haven't seen anybody mention. In addition to being able to switch to your birb to scout ahead while your mount is following a road, and warping to a fast travel while you're doing that; you can switch your point of interest and it will update your path. It's a little finicky because if you get too far away from yourself your horse stops (presumably when Senu and Bayek are far enough away from each other to be in different load bubbles), but if you keep pace with the horse you can just cruise overhead directing yourself to points of interest indefinitely. This is especially useful for opportunistic bandritry or hunting.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Alright I gotta say, the leveling system in this game doesn't seem great.

And I legit bought the game BECAUSE of the leveling stuff. It wasn't even on my radar but when I heard it had levels and skill points and stuff my interest was piqued enough to grab it.

Problem is the leveling is very required, in that you will get pretty wrecked by enemies too much higher than you and following the main story won't have you anywhere near leveled enough. So you need to go do sidequests. Not just exploring and stuff either. That doesn't give enough xp. It needs to be side quests. Most of which have been pretty damn boring so far.

But that alone isn't the problem. It the the combination of that and the skills being pretty damn boring too. So few of them are high impact. I think so far I have one skill that's legit been pretty cool and noticeable (ground combo after super attack).. Everything else is just sorta a stat boost or light improvement to something. Like to the two levels of adrenaline took either 5 or six whole points just to acquire. And the difference that makes is just getting to use my special attack on the first guy I fight instead of the second. Useful but 5 levels for that? And now I'm at the point where I'm just pumping the flat damage boost. Which is just 1% per level. And as I have like 70 damage that means some levels my skill point is literally doing nothing at all.

It's just not actually fun or exciting to get a level up yet I'm forced to go do boring side quests just to make my numbers high enough to proceed. It's just not a great combination.

I don't hate the game by any means but it's been a bit disappointing.

DemonStacey on
    Has there ever been an RPG where only doing the main quests has let you stay properly leveled?

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I watched this movie last night

Well, okay, mostly I took a nap on my couch while this movie was playing

It was not very good

Need a little help in Giza
    there's a question mark on the map behind and apparently under the Sphinx
    I've been to the actual chamber under the Sphinx,
    with the big map room and all that jazz, so this isn't that, but I don't know how to get to whatever it is

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Need a little help in Giza
    there's a question mark on the map behind and apparently under the Sphinx
    I've been to the actual chamber under the Sphinx,
    with the big map room and all that jazz, so this isn't that, but I don't know how to get to whatever it is

so I looked this up because I had the same question
    it's apparently locked behind finding all of the stone circles

Two weird things.

Early on, like, super early on when you're hunting gazelles to get your very first armor upgrade, I ran into the Wireframe DNA Warning Field of Doom pursuing an angry large cat up a mountain, which lead me to think that the regions are walled off, story-wise.

And yet now I discover I can actually go to a lot of places (Mind you, places with high level Hyenas and the like, but I can travel there still). It wasn't like I was probing the Force Wall in the first encounter. So...bug, then?

Ah, alright, makes sense

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Rented this this morning, just met Aya in Alexandria
    Oh I already love their relationship a whole bunch

Also if you don't give Bayek his beard back you're a monster

CYpGAPn.png
    Giza, aside from the pyramids, is such a shithole and I hate it
    Which, I guess, makes sense. It's all tombs, it isn't a residential area. It's just looters, bandits and people trying to scam tourists, I get it
    But it's not real fun to explore, between the always aggro bandits and the hyenas