As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Respectable. Attempting to hose the Scorpion is always a worthwhile propsition. The only thing greater would be if they were messing with the Crane.

There is a Crane player who's currently 5-1 who fully intends, if he wins, to pick the worst role for them, because he claims to be secretly Spider clan.

I think he's a bit of a jerk for this, but such is clan loyalty in L5R.

Ah, that's the guy who gave up his Hatamoto status when he showed up.

thing is, I'm sure the devs have playtested all the roles. We don't know what the card pool is going to look like in 2 months.

No. This is different drama. There was the dragon player who is playing scorpion to force them to be seeker. There is also this guy, who is also in Crane chat, because he wants to be a Spider hatamoto, and failing that will pick Seeker of Water for the clan. I think he hopes FFG will think he's so cool or something. He is and will continue to be crane, since that is the clan he wants to play until the Spider clan comes out, if that ever does happen.

The thing is, none of the roles are so bad. Sure, there is a preference, but ain't nothing going to prevent the Crane from being awesome.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Day 2 stats:

83% of decks have Shameful Display in it.

Also a Dragon preview was apparently in the livestream. https://www.reddit.com/r/l5r/comments/7ardam/dragon_spoiler_on_worlds_livestream/

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    @Cerberus made top 23. Is there a card game you AREN'T good at?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »

yes.

The ones he doesn't play.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Cerbs needs to be put on a restricted list. Way too OP.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Also oh my god the flavor text on Sake House Confidant.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    admanb wrote: »

yes.

The ones he doesn't play.

He apparently dropped out to pursue netrunner. I assume that he also loses Hatamoto status?

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I finished 31st overall. I was also the top Lion Challenger! I then dropped to play in Netrunner.

The guy who took over as challenger promised to give me the challenger mat if he wins.

• Options
    Also oh my god the flavor text on Sake House Confidant.

It's very good.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Are those l5r RPG dice?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    ...Maybe? They kind of look like them...

More than likely they're the... oh god, what's the name of that gambling game the Scorpion really like? I need to go RPG-digging, but it's called something like Four Winds?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Ugh, looks like we're going into a Lion vs. Crane finals.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Right hand vs left hand!

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    ...Maybe? They kind of look like them...

More than likely they're the... oh god, what's the name of that gambling game the Scorpion really like? I need to go RPG-digging, but it's called something like Four Winds?
    Winds and Fortunes is the only Rokugani dice game I'm familiar with (though that's associated with Mantis sailors, not the Scorpion).

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    I made Crab challenger and Crab Hanamoto.
    Pretty pleased... then dropped to play Netrunner.bqcyou1vywle.jpeg

• Options
    Lion keeper of fire is going to be a nightmare from which we never wake.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    And now with a little salt in the wound, a new Lion preview: A Legion of One.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Lion won't take keeper of fire, that wouldn't be that great for us I think. Still rooting Seeker of Water.

• Options
    I stand corrected. Darn.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Our new roles!

Lion - Keeper of Fire
    Crane - Seeker of Air
    Dragon - Seeker of Fire
    Scorpion - Seeker of Void
    Phoenix - Keeper of Water
    Crab - Keeper of Earth
    Unicorn - Keeper of Void

Story choice was apparently Justice.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Huh, Keeper of Void is going to be... weeeeeeeeeeeeeird.

I guess Talisman of the Sun to shunt a swarm attack into Tears for fate?

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So, will the pax unplugged tournament be old roles or new ones?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So, will the pax unplugged tournament be old roles or new ones?

I believe it is a Grand Kotei in the Toshi Ranbo series, which just started with Winter Court. So new roles.

• Options
    I don't get the unpopularity of Earth. No Seeker at all? Am I the only one who just wants to draw cards forever?

Seeker of Void for Scorpion is cool. I'll miss playing Secret Cache and Fertile Field but you can't have everything.

• Options
    Post-Worlds fiction is up, The Fires of Justice.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I admittedly haven't searched much, but anyone know where the complete final standings would be?

• Options
    Lion won't take keeper of fire, that wouldn't be that great for us I think. Still rooting Seeker of Water.

KoF is so stupid good because you pick the Initiates out of the bin/province and then get to instantly honor the fucker. That alone is pretty damn strong. You also get Feast or Famine which is crazy balls. The finals were two clans playing for KoF.

• Options
    So apparently a dragon hatamoto has showed up as a scorpion because he wants to prevent them from getting the keeper card which he thinks will break the game. By even showing up as scorpion, he has lost his hatamoto status.

That better make it into the lore.

Also what a called shot.

It turns out this is basically what happened. The Dragon traitor missed being top Scorpion by a couple placings, but he talked to the actual top Scorpion who ended up agreeing with him and picked Seeker of Void even though he didn't think it was the strongest choice.

Good thing the 1st place Lion also felt that wa--oh no wait he picked Seeker of fucking Fire.

• Options
    It sounds like they were more worried about Scorpion having access to Backhanded Compliment?

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Backhanded Compliment and Disdainful Remark. People are afraid of a real passive lockdown dishonor deck.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Good thing the 1st place Lion also felt that wa--oh no wait he picked Seeker of fucking Fire.

Everything I've read about him (most of which has not been complimentary) makes him seem like a hyper competitive player, so it's not much of a surprise.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Backhanded Compliment and Disdainful Remark. People are afraid of a real passive lockdown dishonor deck.

It's kind of hilarious that people have this little faith in FFG. This is the Plugged In Tour all over again where there was a community wide agreement to not select the collective.

• Options
    edited November 2017

It's kind of hilarious that people have this little faith in FFG. This is the Plugged In Tour all over again where there was a community wide agreement to not select the collective.

I'm still a little bitter about that, especially with how nothing Fisk ended up turning out. I still want to play them so bad.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options

I'm still a little bitter about that, especially with how nothing Fisk ended up turning out. I still want to play them so bad.

Fisk is my current crim runner. I love him.

But anyways... yeah. There's conspiracy theorists saying the playtesters have advanced knowledge that influenced their decisions. Which.. sure, of course they did. But who knows what the future will bring, right?

• Options

I mean everyone knew going into it that Fisk was boring as hell. I wonder if it would have greatly impacted set design to have the Collective in the game.

I kind of understand the backhanded compliment thing a bit more. If this is broken as hell then there's no fixing it for a looong time. One assumes they would have changed the sets the collective was in. They had to have tested Scorpion/Crab with Compliment and Reprieve right?

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I think I'm bad at this game. Dragon is just not clicking with me, but I honestly don't know what I'd play instead.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »

Fisk is my current crim runner. I love him.

But anyways... yeah. There's conspiracy theorists saying the playtesters have advanced knowledge that influenced their decisions. Which.. sure, of course they did. But who knows what the future will bring, right?

That would actually be even worse given that cards should change in between the last time the playtesters see them and the final release. Hopefully not true.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I think I'm bad at this game. Dragon is just not clicking with me, but I honestly don't know what I'd play instead.

Lion is pretty beginner friendly, the lines are mostly straightforward and they've got good Dynasty cards.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Fuck it, I bought a core set.
    Dave, I'm coming for you. We'll meet on the field of battle yet. ONE OF THESE DAMN DAYS. <3

• Options
    edited November 2017
    So it sounds like the Scorpion top of clan didn't just think that BHC would be bad for the game, but also that Seeker of Void will lead to more consistent and better Scorpion decks overall. They still think BHC is badfeels.dek, but also that it wouldn't actually be the best deck. Source.

Which I pretty much buy. Seeker of Void is a really good role and while non-interactive go-fuck-yourself decks are my jam* I'd rather have an interactive-and-powerful Scorpion than a non-interactive inconsistent one. I still

871.gif

at the idea of anyone going "we've decided this would be Bad For the Game", but the overarching logic is sound.

*sorry-not-sorry

admanb on