As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weird nightly WiFi issues

So I am currently living in a house with some roommates while I finish up my PhD degree. Every night at 1030 PM the bandwidth in my houses Wifi disappears. Normally I'll pull 15/8 down/up but then at 1030 it drops to 0.5/3.

I think I have narrowed it down to one roommate as when they're gone it doesn't happen ever.

Is there any way of determining what is using all of this data nightly that way I can ask them to change the time their program runs to sometime much later at night.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    If you have a good router you should be able to pull logs from the administrator panel.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    "Hey dude, are you doing something with the network at like, 10:30 nightly? It's hosing our bandwidth, any chance you could push that later or something?"

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I don't have access to the admin panel of the router.

They also claim nothing is happening on their computers and they aren't effected by it. But all of my devices say the same speeds.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    How long does this last? Is it just a blip that last a minute or two or does it drag for hours after that? Have you tried doing a power cycle on the router/Modem?

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    It lasts generally 1-2 hours. I can power cycle modem. I get speed back for maybe three minutes before whatever program is running reconnects.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Sounds almost like there's a torrent running around that time?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    This sounds like Bittorrent or some other P2P thing (lots of F2P games and MMOs use P2P updates), yeah.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Koreg wrote: »
    I don't have access to the admin panel of the router.

They also claim nothing is happening on their computers and they aren't effected by it. But all of my devices say the same speeds.

Because they have the passwords and all that?
    Just push the issue a little more - "I'm trying to figure out what's going on, so I'm going to reset the router and set it up again." How long have you lived here?

But yes, it sounds like someone is torrenting at 10:30 with no bandwidth limit set.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png