As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Shaxx Me Outside How Bou Dah

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    And here I am drowning in so many Uriel's Gifts that I wish I could return-to-sender.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I have no super great, guns I am just waiting for powerful chest and legs to get above my 272 hump.(even though I keep getting 265 gear as regular drops)

Fencingsax on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I have no super great, guns I am just waiting for powerful chest and legs to get above my 272 hump.(even though I keep getting 265 gear as regular drops)

once you hit 270 your blues will always be 10 below your max and your purples will be 5 below your max (or the same as your max if you add +5 mods to them)

so your path now is to redeem a powerful engram, which will be above your max, then get the rest of your gear to your new cap, rinse, repeat

you will get more efficient results (per engram) doing one powerful engram at a time, but it takes a lot more grinding

i would recommend doing one at a time as much as you can, but if you're nearing the end of the week anyway, i'd just redeem them all to improve as best you can before the reset

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Chanus wrote: »
    metaghost wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Yilias wrote: »
    Joined a group on the reddit LFG to learn the raid. 1 shot baths and dogs, then did gauntlet in 8 tries and Callus in 10. Scrounged together my group of friends and walked them through it over the course of 5 hours or so. I'm looking forward to Prestige, the raid is awesome but a lot of the mechanics seemed very lenient. Being able to get by with inexact execution, especially in gauntlet, is too forgiving imo.

It's not really less forgiving mechanics that makes Prestige not really worth the effort, IMO. It's the arbitrary increase in health/damage from the mobs. It's not a traditional light increase, so the stronger mobs will never be 'easier' the more Prestige gear you get. It's just a flat increase - which is so contrary to anything in Destiny up to this point, I honestly don't know what they were thinking.

They were thinking they wanted it to be more difficult but they'd already fucked up having this be done via light levels since people were already hitting 305 long before the Prestige Raid launched.

I do wonder if they'll ever talk about whether players were supposed to be able to break 290 before Prestige, because there was that brief time where players reported getting above 305 and then it all got hotfixed the first weekend, when they put in the measures to inhibit multiple characters of the same class.

i mean they could have just made the prestige raid 310 light or something instead of making it permanently arbitrarily difficult

That may fuck with what they want to do with the next expansion. I mean, we're even getting a level raise which is completely new.

And I don't really think it's arbitrary. It's opaque, yeah. The difficulty is being raised in the background in a way that is not directly shown to the player the way it would be in anything else in the game. But there's nothing arbitrary about it. Prestige is harder then normal mode, always. That is a perfectly understandable goal and a very straightforward means of achieving it, even if you might disagree with it. (I certainly think the lack of ability to get better at the content via light level is kinda stupid and they should have maybe done both if that's what they wanted)

I think frankly that the issue is more that nobody seems to have a reason to do the prestige mode more then once. Or even less then once.

shryke on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Joined a group on the reddit LFG to learn the raid. 1 shot baths and dogs, then did gauntlet in 8 tries and Callus in 10. Scrounged together my group of friends and walked them through it over the course of 5 hours or so. I'm looking forward to Prestige, the raid is awesome but a lot of the mechanics seemed very lenient. Being able to get by with inexact execution, especially in gauntlet, is too forgiving imo.

It's not really less forgiving mechanics that makes Prestige not really worth the effort, IMO. It's the arbitrary increase in health/damage from the mobs. It's not a traditional light increase, so the stronger mobs will never be 'easier' the more Prestige gear you get. It's just a flat increase - which is so contrary to anything in Destiny up to this point, I honestly don't know what they were thinking.

They were thinking they wanted it to be more difficult but they'd already fucked up having this be done via light levels since people were already hitting 305 long before the Prestige Raid launched.

I do wonder if they'll ever talk about whether players were supposed to be able to break 290 before Prestige, because there was that brief time where players reported getting above 305 and then it all got hotfixed the first weekend, when they put in the measures to inhibit multiple characters of the same class.

i mean they could have just made the prestige raid 310 light or something instead of making it permanently arbitrarily difficult

That may fuck with what they want to do with the next expansion. I mean, we're even getting a level raise which is completely new.

And I don't really think it's arbitrary. It's opaque, yeah. The difficulty is being raised in the background in a way that is not directly shown to the player the way it would be in anything else in the game. But there's nothing arbitrary about it. Prestige is harder then normal mode, always. That is a perfectly understandable goal and a very straightforward means of achieving it, even if you might disagree with it.

I think frankly that the issue is more that nobody seems to have a reason to do the prestige mode more then once. Or even less then once.

When they revised the leveling system they raised the cap and separated light level and level... this was year 2?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    edited November 2017

And I don't really think it's arbitrary. It's opaque, yeah. The difficulty is being raised in the background in a way that is not directly shown to the player the way it would be in anything else in the game. But there's nothing arbitrary about it. Prestige is harder then normal mode, always. That is a perfectly understandable goal and a very straightforward means of achieving it, even if you might disagree with it. (I certainly think the lack of ability to get better at the content via light level is kinda stupid and they should have maybe done both if that's what they wanted)

The regular nightfall is what, 270 or 290? and the Prestige nightfall is 300. So they obviously haven't forgotten that strategy for stepping up the difficulty on things. Which is why the Prestige mode for Leviathan is the oddity.

MagicPrime on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i wonder how level interacts with current content

is 305 power at level 25 more powerful than 305 power at level 20?

edited November 2017

And I don't really think it's arbitrary. It's opaque, yeah. The difficulty is being raised in the background in a way that is not directly shown to the player the way it would be in anything else in the game. But there's nothing arbitrary about it. Prestige is harder then normal mode, always. That is a perfectly understandable goal and a very straightforward means of achieving it, even if you might disagree with it.

When they revised the leveling system they raised the cap and separated light level and level... this was year 2?

That wasn't really a level cap raise though, it was a complete revamp of the leveling system where they tried to fix the initial broken leveling system and just kinda let it go to a completely new kind of level 40 to make that work. They even just went back to 20 for Destiny 2 when they could more easily reset the whole system and never did it again in D1. It was clearly just a fudge to make the new leveling system work rather then a deliberate attempt like the first expansion seems to be.

shryke on

The regular nightfall is what, 270 or 290? and the Prestige nightfall is 300. So they obviously haven't forgotten that strategy for stepping up the difficulty on things. Which is why the Prestige mode for Leviathan is the oddity.

Right, but I'm saying they never wanted you to "outlevel" the Prestige mode. They wanted to make it always hard like you were below the light level of it. As a strategy to make the rewards prestigious, it makes sense.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    So if level's going up to 25 they must be adding more perk nodes, right?

Right?????

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Right?????

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Right?????

That would be cool. An extra perk tree of four for the new expansions.

I think i'd prefer more playable content than extra perks though if they're devoting dev/design time to anything though.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
    i wonder how level interacts with current content

is 305 power at level 25 more powerful than 305 power at level 20?

My suspicion just looking at it is that it's a way to gate content. You can't do the new endgame stuff unless you are 25 and have done the story or something, just like with the base game.

Osiris gonna teach us dem forbidden arts.

Like Titan Skating.

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I think it's fair to say that we are in a tough place right now with PA membership - everyone I'm hitting up on the wait list is deferring, but I have to give each person I contact a few days to get to my DM and respond, so we've been at 98/100 for about a week. Each console clan has ~15 people who haven't played in 2+ weeks, including some who haven't played in a month. But I get it - I've been logging on just to grab engrams, fool around a bit, etc., but there's not much incentive to play right now when a lot of PS4 players are trying to get through some of the other huge releases this month and are just kinda hanging tight til the December DLC (whether sitting at 305 Power or close to it).

I'm eager to see how D2 evolves and whether the QoL improvements (a la D1) start arriving in December. I do think Bungie did a superb job with the campaign and endgame up to and through the raid, and I appreciate not being made to feel like I'm falling behind if I can't get to a Nightfall or whatever. But I do think they have some work to do. Right now, the only real things on my to-do list would be collecting one of every item/weapon (which, candidly, with the Vault as bad as it is, isn't a priority) or playing Crucible just to hang with friends (which is always great, but again, zero reward there). Maybe I sound a little salty; maybe I am a little salty. But overall, I'm just waiting patiently for the next content drop.

Edit: And obviously, I think it's perfectly reasonable that some people are staying current on weekly activities and are still pouring hours into the game. It feels terrific and is a blast, plus the tight-knit community speaks for itself. Just felt like commenting on what seems to be a bit of a lull.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Heh. Somewhat tempted to try and run some guided games while we have room but that would require I have time to play so...

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    yeah I pop on for milestones and help out when people want to do X but there's little of me just logging on for my own enjoyment flying solo. Between mario, wolfenstein, Evil Within and Overwatch it's not like I'm short of stuff to play.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    Heh. Somewhat tempted to try and run some guided games while we have room but that would require I have time to play so...

If we have space tomorrow and the nightfall is reasonable I want to do it just once for the emblem.

edited November 2017

That wasn't really a level cap raise though, it was a complete revamp of the leveling system where they tried to fix the initial broken leveling system and just kinda let it go to a completely new kind of level 40 to make that work. They even just went back to 20 for Destiny 2 when they could more easily reset the whole system and never did it again in D1. It was clearly just a fudge to make the new leveling system work rather then a deliberate attempt like the first expansion seems to be.

unless i'm misunderstanding you, there were level cap raises throughout D1, they just revamped the light level system in year two

Chanus on

unless i'm misunderstanding you, there were level cap raises throughout D1, they just revamped the light level system in year two

yeah, idk. wasn't really a thing I was too interested in fleshing out but I think we started at 20 could boost to 30, then 34, then 40 in year two or whatever. but in year 1 level was strictly gear driven. that seems to be the "technically" in his response? IDK.

As I recall, you had you character level which maxed at 20, and then you had your adjusted level which took into account your total light value based on gear. So level cap technically got raised from 30 to 32 to 34, but Character Level never went above 20.

Then Taken King dropped and they added a third subclass, so now max character level was 30, and then you had a distinct Light Level that was an average of your gear level, which is the system still used today.

GMaster7 wrote: »
    I think it's fair to say that we are in a tough place right now with PA membership - everyone I'm hitting up on the wait list is deferring, but I have to give each person I contact a few days to get to my DM and respond, so we've been at 98/100 for about a week. Each console clan has ~15 people who haven't played in 2+ weeks, including some who haven't played in a month. But I get it - I've been logging on just to grab engrams, fool around a bit, etc., but there's not much incentive to play right now when a lot of PS4 players are trying to get through some of the other huge releases this month and are just kinda hanging tight til the December DLC (whether sitting at 305 Power or close to it).

I'm eager to see how D2 evolves and whether the QoL improvements (a la D1) start arriving in December. I do think Bungie did a superb job with the campaign and endgame up to and through the raid, and I appreciate not being made to feel like I'm falling behind if I can't get to a Nightfall or whatever. But I do think they have some work to do. Right now, the only real things on my to-do list would be collecting one of every item/weapon (which, candidly, with the Vault as bad as it is, isn't a priority) or playing Crucible just to hang with friends (which is always great, but again, zero reward there). Maybe I sound a little salty; maybe I am a little salty. But overall, I'm just waiting patiently for the next content drop.

Edit: And obviously, I think it's perfectly reasonable that some people are staying current on weekly activities and are still pouring hours into the game. It feels terrific and is a blast, plus the tight-knit community speaks for itself. Just felt like commenting on what seems to be a bit of a lull.

I have been logging on for a few minutes pretty regularly to stay active, but it's getting pretty rough. I don't think I even did my weeklies until last night.

edited November 2017
    As I recall, you had you character level which maxed at 20, and then you had your adjusted level which took into account your total light value based on gear. So level cap technically got raised from 30 to 32 to 34, but Character Level never went above 20.

Then Taken King dropped and they added a third subclass, so now max character level was 30

40, not 30.

I think this was so that your base level was roughly analogous to your Light Level from Year 1 so they didn't need to re-work the damage/level balance on Year 1 encounters when they changed Light Level to be an average of your gear levels.

Muffinatron on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I kinda want a new damage type, maybe with new subclasses to go with. Or some new weapon types, some new gametypes and playlists, etc. Most expansions didn't add much for PvP aside from maybe a couple maps and one new mode like Rift. Pretty sure we're not getting a Rumble playlist unless it's Mayhem.

Also I'm kinda over the new weeklies board, bring back Bounties. There were more things to accomplish, maybe keep the not having to actually pick them up but 3 challenges vs 5 Bounties feels like a step back. I'm guessing Sparrow Racing will come back the Dawning and then maybe Valentines Doubles again? But without elimination that feels weird.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I was thinking over the weekend how neat it is that there are a bunch of little variations in the strikes and stuff, most notably the dialogue. I'm not actually a huge fan of it, but I do like the idea behind it, of each run potentially fleshing things out a little more.

I've also done, like, none of the available adventures/missions aside from the Rat King quest; now that the rush to 270 is over, I'm looking forward to just chilling my way through those. My girlfriend did a bunch while I was bumbling through the raid so I've got some catching up to do.

Tho cheesing portions of the Rat King one when I was 30 light below the recommended level was pretty fun.

Surfpossum wrote: »
    I was thinking over the weekend how neat it is that there are a bunch of little variations in the strikes and stuff, most notably the dialogue. I'm not actually a huge fan of it, but I do like the idea behind it, of each run potentially fleshing things out a little more.

I've also done, like, none of the available adventures/missions aside from the Rat King quest; now that the rush to 270 is over, I'm looking forward to just chilling my way through those. My girlfriend did a bunch while I was bumbling through the raid so I've got some catching up to do.

Tho cheesing portions of the Rat King one when I was 30 light below the recommended level was pretty fun.

Adventures are way underrated. I still need to do a few of them, but they are really pretty terrific overall. Rewarding content in their own right, even without tangible rewards.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G

Adventures are way underrated. I still need to do a few of them, but they are really pretty terrific overall. Rewarding content in their own right, even without tangible rewards.

At least one adventure offers a unique (blue) reward. The one on the rig? Others may too?

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    So am I understanding correctly that you get the option to do Trials matches once you're in a fireteam of four (assuming you've all met the other requirements)?

New enemies would be neat too. I like finding out lore about the races we have, but the Taken felt kinda less exciting with the enemies being pallette swaps with new attacks. Aside from the new Cabal units, we didn't get any new enemies at all.

• ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    New enemies would be neat too. I like finding out lore about the races we have, but the Taken felt kinda less exciting with the enemies being pallette swaps with new attacks. Aside from the new Cabal units, we didn't get any new enemies at all.

I wish enemy AI was better before I'd wish for new enemies (but that would be a close second, some new bosses that aren't just BIG CAPTAIN would be third)

At least one adventure offers a unique (blue) reward. The one on the rig? Others may too?

Oh, yeah, I meant to say "even if you don't really care about their tangible rewards."

I also feel like they are the toughest of the single player content. Which I think is good and they should lean into that more. It's an optional side mission, you can make it ballbusting.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    So this weekend of Trials was an utter disappointment, didnt get a single match going the entire weekend.

The joy of being in a different timezone.

So am I understanding correctly that you get the option to do Trials matches once you're in a fireteam of four (assuming you've all met the other requirements)?
    Yes. The Spire opens up after one win. Unlocking each tier of the Spire requires 3, 5, 7 wins with the last room and rewards only in a flawless card. The card is built into the UI, when you hover over the Trials symbol on the map it shows how many wins/losses you have for that particular card, with the option to discard a losing card.

Sirialis wrote: »
    So this weekend of Trials was an utter disappointment, didnt get a single match going the entire weekend.

The joy of being in a different timezone.

There's still today :biggrin:

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I cant really stay up that late on normal weekdays.

Or rather, I shouldnt... Lord knows I've gone Flawless at least twice at 4AM in the morning and had to go work 5 hours later.

If there is an opportunity presenting itself later tonight I might give it a shot if time allows.

Sirialis on
    So been playing a bunch of Crucible this morning to finish my "play a seemingly random number of games for loot" milestone and one thing is just fucking ridiculously stupid here and it's driving me nuts:

I find it stupidly difficult to tell my team apart from their team. There is barely any ui elements to differentiate them, there's no team colours and health bars only appear after you start shooting someone.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Fencingsax wrote: »

once you hit 270 your blues will always be 10 below your max and your purples will be 5 below your max (or the same as your max if you add +5 mods to them)

so your path now is to redeem a powerful engram, which will be above your max, then get the rest of your gear to your new cap, rinse, repeat

you will get more efficient results (per engram) doing one powerful engram at a time, but it takes a lot more grinding

i would recommend doing one at a time as much as you can, but if you're nearing the end of the week anyway, i'd just redeem them all to improve as best you can before the reset

My point was more 265 is more than 5 less than 272. Also my boots and chest (and bond) are my lowest level items.

Fencingsax on
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    So been playing a bunch of Crucible this morning to finish my "play a seemingly random number of games for loot" milestone and one thing is just fucking ridiculously stupid here and it's driving me nuts:

I find it stupidly difficult to tell my team apart from their team. There is barely any ui elements to differentiate them, there's no team colours and health bars only appear after you start shooting someone.

Do you have some kind of UI element turned off? I don't think I've ever noticed this, everyone has a nametag

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular

Have you tried any of the colorblind options? I know some of the more serious PvP players/streamers change those settings to make differences more obvious.

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
This discussion has been closed.