As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassin's Creed

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Rented this this morning, just met Aya in Alexandria
    Oh I already love their relationship a whole bunch

Also if you don't give Bayek his beard back you're a monster

What'd you do with his hair

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

They got rid of it for a reason

I appreciate the game's anti-beard stance

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

What'd you do with his hair
    I like his starting hair but I think the shaved head bushy beard combo is a strong look for him

CYpGAPn.png
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Beat it a bit ago. My favorite Assassin's Creed since Black Flag, easily.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Has there ever been an RPG where only doing the main quests has let you stay properly leveled?

But that alone isn't the problem.

That's why I said that. And yea I'd say actually there are plenty of rpgs that you can play without doing side quests. A majority of JRPGs have sidequests that have no to little bearing on where you are xp wise. Pretty sure you can play through Elder Scrolls games just following the story and maybe popping into some random dungeons along the way. I feel like a lot of games actually have side quests mostly for non-xp purposes actually the more I think about it. Just like side rewards and such not actually halting all progress constantly to go off on forced side questing.

The point was that the side quests are extremely nonrewarding in a twofold level. They themselves are kinda boring and the only reward is xp which gets you levels that are also pretty boring.

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    ENDING SPOILERS
    Amunet led Rome game for the sequel?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    I find Senu to be a huge hassle to use!

I've gotten used to her, but it was incredibly frustrating for the first few hours of the game. The problem is, Senu's effectively the most-used tool in your kit and her implementation can be very slow and tedious. It's most frustrating when the game removes the waypoint at 150 yards to make you switch to her to find the target, which for large forts can be far enough away where you have to find the target, then get closer and use her again. Also, if you don't get everyone in that first sweep, prepare to spend another minute on this, because turning her takes more time than backing up an 18-wheeler.

I love her mechanic and using her for scouting and the overhead recon, but yeah, I really, really miss just having Eagle Vision.
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Stealth is great for me
    I am sorry you're not having the same experience

Yeah I'm going through the game and stealthing everything, I've barely gotten into combat at all.

Once you hit the upper levels you enter the same condition as you do in Black Flag where stealth is a matter of speed and courtesy, not necessity, because if I alert a guard and they raise the alarm it means I'm spending the next three minutes murdering everyone in a 100-yard radius and it has nothing to do with likelihood of death, but merely that it's so inconvenient.

That said, the total lack (so far, here's hoping it stays that way) of any missions that go "haha, you were seen, fuck you, you lose now" is exhilarating.

@I'm an elk; shoot me
    You don't have to turn Senu around
    If you go into hover mode, whichever way you're looking when you let off of it is the way Senu herself will be pointing
    You can do a quick flip that way

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

I keep giving him his beard back and the game keeps taking it away from me

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I feel like doing the viewpoint sync really helps with Senu. Not at first, it felt pretty negligible to me in the beginning, but further along the increased detection range becomes very noticeable.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Two weird things.

Early on, like, super early on when you're hunting gazelles to get your very first armor upgrade, I ran into the Wireframe DNA Warning Field of Doom pursuing an angry large cat up a mountain, which lead me to think that the regions are walled off, story-wise.

And yet now I discover I can actually go to a lot of places (Mind you, places with high level Hyenas and the like, but I can travel there still). It wasn't like I was probing the Force Wall in the first encounter. So...bug, then?

It's probably because the starting zone is surrounded by level 40 zones and there's no low level travel route to get from there to the second zone. Rather than getting ganked over and over, they don't even let you try.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Two weird things.

Early on, like, super early on when you're hunting gazelles to get your very first armor upgrade, I ran into the Wireframe DNA Warning Field of Doom pursuing an angry large cat up a mountain, which lead me to think that the regions are walled off, story-wise.

And yet now I discover I can actually go to a lot of places (Mind you, places with high level Hyenas and the like, but I can travel there still). It wasn't like I was probing the Force Wall in the first encounter. So...bug, then?

My experience was you were walled into Siwa for the intro, then after the title card you can go anywhere. Though there's a definite herding effect keeping you around the area you end up in after the intro, with enemies getting stronger the further towards the edge of the map you wander.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I love using Senu to scope out an entry into a restricted zone, getting in, getting to my target, then using him again to create my exit. It feels great.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Two weird things.

My experience was you were walled into Siwa for the intro, then after the title card you can go anywhere. Though there's a definite herding effect keeping you around the area you end up in after the intro, with enemies getting stronger the further towards the edge of the map you wander.

Yeah, all the areas around Siwa are way over the starting level (like, 35+), so that plus the walls are there to keep you vaguely on-track early on.

Fun thing in a Giza mission:
    After you get tricked into stealing a horse for a guy in exchange for information, there's nothing stopping you from just taking the horse right after.
    You actually get speech for it:
    "Hey! You're stealing my horse!"
    "You cannot steal what is already stolen."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm level 30 and I still don't have any money

Also, what is the deal with the Phylax? dropping awesome weapons that just happen to be cursed

Cursed weapons take 2/3 of Bayek's health away

Have you been looting/selling all your junk?
    I'm at level 27, and I've got about 25/30k in cash.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Has there ever been an RPG where only doing the main quests has let you stay properly leveled?

There's a ton of them. The point of side quests is that you don;t necessarily have to do them if you don;t want

klemming wrote: »

What are you doing to get that kind of money?

I've done a lot of side quests, but I haven't cleared all the forts and tombs yet...

I hunt animals for crafting upgrades, but that's about it

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I am currently short on cash because I'm saving up for the "Sell 100 Trinkets in 1 go" achievement because I dunno, it seems like something that'll be easy to miss. I'm 11 carbon crystals short of top gear so that's what the windfall is going on when I get there, for now, I feel pretty ok with where I'm at, which is hunting The Crocodile at level 33.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I really really like how they introduce Aya
    Have a quest to kill 5 of the men responsible for your sons death

Kill one at the start, kill another afterwards.
    Go and meet your wife to plan for the other 3

"Oh, I got 2 of them. Yeah they're dead. We just have 1 more."

Instantly effective at showing that she's just as competent as Bayek and a fun surprise given how the menus have been making you think you're gonna kill all 5

CYpGAPn.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I really really like how they introduce Aya
    Have a quest to kill 5 of the men responsible for your sons death

Kill one at the start, kill another afterwards.
    Go and meet your wife to plan for the other 3

"Oh, I got 2 of them. Yeah they're dead. We just have 1 more."

Instantly effective at showing that she's just as competent as Bayek and a fun surprise given how the menus have been making you think you're gonna kill all 5
    Yeah this was great. I was really wondering how they were going to stretch out only 4 assassinations over the entire game and then you meet her and she's all "Oh yeah they're already all dead"

LxX6eco.jpg
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I got a gold scepter weapon that puts people (and horses and camels) to sleep when I hit them. It's pretty great.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I thought the story was too meandering for its own good up until I hit the Scarab quest last night, and now I'm all in.

This feels proper Assassins Creed now.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    I got a gold scepter weapon that puts people (and horses and camels) to sleep when I hit them. It's pretty great.

Every scepter puts people to sleep if you just hit them enough times.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I was kinda disappointed by the bow. I liked sniping dudes with the predator bow but when the bar for me is the 2 latest tomb raider games then anything else just feels kinda bad.

I liked the upgrades/level ups in that game a lot as it really had a lot of impact.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Something I really miss from old AC is the whole "hide in plain sight". Sitting in a bench, or being in the middle of people. Good stuff.

Kyougu wrote: »
    Something I really miss from old AC is the whole "hide in plain sight". Sitting in a bench, or being in the middle of people. Good stuff.

I miss corner assassinations.

They're still in here. Just be next to a corner in stealth mode and you'll do it.

LxX6eco.jpg
    ......jeez I didn't even notice blending wasn't a thing anymore

But then I guess you just don't have the kind of crowds anyway

klemming wrote: »

What are you doing to get that kind of money?

I've done a lot of side quests, but I haven't cleared all the forts and tombs yet...

I hunt animals for crafting upgrades, but that's about it

If there's a question mark, I go check it out, and loot everywhere I come across. Money's never been an issue, though I've yet to find a weapon I've wanted to buy (I've upgraded a couple to my level when I was really hurting for a certain weapon), and I've only bought one horse and a couple of outfits.

After a point there's no point in breaking down weapons for upgrade materials so you're better off just selling it all.

Yeah, a few upgrades to my favorite weapons, because I can't get replacements to drop, and poof! Money all gone

I need to do some serious exploring and gathering once I finish this story mission tonight

I think I'm in the final act of the game

I'm being very aggressive with my upgrades because 1) concrete benefit to combat and 2) I love the simple pleasure of actually seeing the gear on Bayek get built up over time

They're still in here. Just be next to a corner in stealth mode and you'll do it.

I've tried. Bayek just sort of steps into the doorway and stabs them and leaves the body right there. Not very stealthy.

Are Ubisofts servers down, or something? I'm trying to start Uplay, and it won't connect. I'd like to know if it's my shitty internet or Ubisoft's shitty internet.

I've tried. Bayek just sort of steps into the doorway and stabs them and leaves the body right there. Not very stealthy.

That's weird. I did it yesterday. I was in a corner, a guy came towards me, I stabbed him and Bayek took him back around the corner with him.

LxX6eco.jpg
    Yeah I've done the corner stab as well, though perhaps not always consistently

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Anybody having issues with side quests disappearing?

I was going to do A Tithe By Any Other name but by the time I finished whatever was doing the icon for starting it vanished and I haven't been able to get it to reappear.

Also trying to complete The Hungry River but all the quest markers for it have vanished so I'm trying to figure it out with fucking walkthrough videos.

Hitting both of these issues within an hour is worrisome af. Wondering if I should put it down and wait for a patch in case I hit anything game breaking. Wish this had multiple save slots so I could have a backup if something breaks.

I'm being very aggressive with my upgrades because 1) concrete benefit to combat and 2) I love the simple pleasure of actually seeing the gear on Bayek get built up over time

I almost bought in game currency because I started grinding for materials as soon as I could and was getting super burned out. When a game gives me the freedom to max stuff out asap I usually go nuts.

I eventually just chilled after getting a few ranks in each item and the game will start showering you in materials over time.

Also you should always assassinate any group of 3 dudes who ride past you on a horse.