As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sysadmin] Nightmare fuel

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    IBM-PC-300PL-large1.jpg

I am pretty sure these were the PCs too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    5538vj24wrcr.png

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    You people and your Windows 95's. This is actually one of my more prized possessions among my IT/comptuer stuff. This was handed down to me by a friend of my dad years ago, as DOS 2.10 is a bit before my time. I first learned computers on DOS 6 and Win 3.1.

I put it in an imgur gallery since I took 12 pictures of it. It's the retail package of IBM Disk Operating System 2.10, provided by Microsoft. It includes a manual with all of the DOS commands.

https://imgur.com/gallery/6OnlJ

That's super fucking awesome.

LD50 wrote: »
    I want to point out that windows 95 was a real weird OS.

The thing i hated most about it was how if you opened the NIC properties, EVEN IF YOU CANCELED OUT, it prompted a reboot.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I liked 95, honestly. I just think it's interesting the way it works. It's probably the only OS where every device driver ran inside it's own virtual operating system.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    I want to point out that windows 95 was a real weird OS.

The thing i hated most about it was how if you opened the NIC properties, EVEN IF YOU CANCELED OUT, it prompted a reboot.

Looking at the NICs?

That's a paddlin'

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    shouldn't need to look at them, just reference the install guide

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    This morning I got the following text message from a coworker:

"PCs on the 169 subnet can't get on network"

We don't have a 169 subnet.

Now if you know the first fucking thing about Windows you know that if it can't get a DHCP address, it will autoassign an address starting with 169. Why literally nobody else in the department at the time couldn't identify 169.xxx.xxx.xxx as a Windows autoconfiguration address, and therefore a DHCP problem, is a story in and of itself. But this is a story about Cisco, not my coworkers, so I digress.

I figured it was something stupid, like I forgot to declare ip helper-address on a VLAN or something like that. So I remoted in from home and looked at the 3850 configs...

...nope, I remembered all my ip helper-addresses.

So I did the usual debug commands like debug ip dhcp server packets and debug ip udp, and I also logged into our DHCP server to see if it had any interesting events.

debug ip dhcp server packets produced no output. At all. Zilch zero nada.

debug ip udp showed DHCP request packets (UDP port 67) coming in from workstations, but none of them were getting forwarded.

DHCP server logs (predictably, at this point) showed no DHCP packets being received.

So I drove into the office, opened a case with Cisco support, and continued to troubleshoot. We're now about an hour into the problem with multiple people across multiple departments unable to get on the network, and nobody else in my department knows enough about TCP/IP in Windows to identify a 169. IP address but i'm digressing again sorry...

While waiting for Cisco to call me back, I comb through the old 4500 configs to see if there's anything I missed. Any DHCP-related commands or any routing-related commands. Nope, nothing. I also looked through some of our other Catalysts across the network to see if there's anything configured on those that I might have missed. Nope, not a thing.

More Googling and I come across a forum post from somebody who had the same problem and said that the command service dhcp fixed it. So, fine, fuck it, I try it.

Suddenly the dhcp debug starts to display forwarding events and the DHCP server starts to receive DHCP requests. I can see workstations lighting up across the building.

Note that service dhcp is not declared on any other Catalyst in our network nor was it declared on the old 4500.

A little while later, Cisco calls me back and I run it by the tech and he's like

"You know, you're the second customer this week with that exact problem. You're right, you shouldn't have to do "service dhcp." It should be on by default. I think it's a bug in our 3850 firmware but I'm not sure."

cisco

cisco plz

I awesomed this, but what I mean is the exact opposite of awesome!

This is one of my pet peeves w/ Cisco -- changing the defaults of commands (whether accidentally or on purpose), and worse the fact that many defaults don't show up in config. This causes so much crap when moving between versions/platforms.

Out of curiosity, what was the software version you ran into that on? I'd like to make sure we steer clear...

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    twmjr wrote: »
    This morning I got the following text message from a coworker:

"PCs on the 169 subnet can't get on network"

We don't have a 169 subnet.

Now if you know the first fucking thing about Windows you know that if it can't get a DHCP address, it will autoassign an address starting with 169. Why literally nobody else in the department at the time couldn't identify 169.xxx.xxx.xxx as a Windows autoconfiguration address, and therefore a DHCP problem, is a story in and of itself. But this is a story about Cisco, not my coworkers, so I digress.

I figured it was something stupid, like I forgot to declare ip helper-address on a VLAN or something like that. So I remoted in from home and looked at the 3850 configs...

...nope, I remembered all my ip helper-addresses.

So I did the usual debug commands like debug ip dhcp server packets and debug ip udp, and I also logged into our DHCP server to see if it had any interesting events.

debug ip dhcp server packets produced no output. At all. Zilch zero nada.

debug ip udp showed DHCP request packets (UDP port 67) coming in from workstations, but none of them were getting forwarded.

DHCP server logs (predictably, at this point) showed no DHCP packets being received.

So I drove into the office, opened a case with Cisco support, and continued to troubleshoot. We're now about an hour into the problem with multiple people across multiple departments unable to get on the network, and nobody else in my department knows enough about TCP/IP in Windows to identify a 169. IP address but i'm digressing again sorry...

While waiting for Cisco to call me back, I comb through the old 4500 configs to see if there's anything I missed. Any DHCP-related commands or any routing-related commands. Nope, nothing. I also looked through some of our other Catalysts across the network to see if there's anything configured on those that I might have missed. Nope, not a thing.

More Googling and I come across a forum post from somebody who had the same problem and said that the command service dhcp fixed it. So, fine, fuck it, I try it.

Suddenly the dhcp debug starts to display forwarding events and the DHCP server starts to receive DHCP requests. I can see workstations lighting up across the building.

Note that service dhcp is not declared on any other Catalyst in our network nor was it declared on the old 4500.

A little while later, Cisco calls me back and I run it by the tech and he's like

"You know, you're the second customer this week with that exact problem. You're right, you shouldn't have to do "service dhcp." It should be on by default. I think it's a bug in our 3850 firmware but I'm not sure."

cisco

cisco plz

This is one of my pet peeves w/ Cisco -- changing the defaults of commands (whether accidentally or on purpose), and worse the fact that many defaults don't show up in config. This causes so much crap when moving between versions/platforms.

Out of curiosity, what was the software version you ran into that on? I'd like to make sure we steer clear...

03.06.06E

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017

As someone who writes for network hardware (but not Cisco or anything anyone here runs into), the reason for this is most likely that the devs want to be able to change the defaults later on and the code is structured to where the config file (if present) always has control to make sure stuff doesn't break if it was explicitly setup by the user.

Is it possible to work around? Sure. But config file stuff is extremely low priority on the development side.

a5ehren on
    So, I was off Friday, which is great.

our satellite office is in a generic office building. Thursday night the building had to shut power down to do some work on the lines. No big deal from our standpoint. I did windows updates on the 3 servers we have over there and then scheduled them to shut down 2 hours before the scheduled power outage. They're on a UPS but just one that's good for like 20 minutes of runtime to gracefully shut the servers down if power goes out.

Work is done, power comes up. Friday morning, no WAN. Networking inside the office works, but can't get out to the internet at all. one of my cohorts called the ISP, and what they discovered is that when we moved in there a little under a year ago, whoever the technicain was that configured the modem didn't save the running config. So when the modem came back up after losing power it was at default settings.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited November 2017
    couple of my field users going to do work at a government site that wants to vet any machine going into the building

make/model/OS, easy easy
    antivirus and latest patch date, we're not kapersky so should be good there
    most recent OS update... *tugs at collar*

look it's not so much that we don't update the machine, but more that the SCCM instance of the company we merged into really doesn't play nice with our old windows image, and is extra bad on our remote machines because it does everything across the VPN (and fails because the pipe isn't fat enough)

will probably end up manually installing a bunch of updates just to cover our asses

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    For some auditors I just had to provide documentation of a new user request, and then proof that we actually created the user.

What

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    For some auditors I just had to provide documentation of a new user request, and then proof that we actually created the user.

What

Odd, they usually just ask for documentation on when an account is disabled/deleted when an employee leaves.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.

What

Odd, they usually just ask for documentation on when an account is disabled/deleted when an employee leaves.

They actually want both. new user, and a user leaving.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    It wouldn't be a proper audit if they didn't ask for some silly documentation that they've never asked for before and never warned you about.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

this entire morning has been a complete waste of my time, and the audit documentation has only been the tiniest sliver of this. I can't even talk about the rest but my god what a dumb morning.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    On a call to Bell since a client is having internet issues. Call time - 35:00, I last talked to someone around the 12 minute mark. I think there is an issue with their service today.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    Myiagros wrote: »
    On a call to Bell since a client is having internet issues. Call time - 35:00, I last talked to someone around the 12 minute mark. I think there is an issue with their service today.

there appear to be fairly widespread internet issues today in general...possibly level3 related? haven't been keeping close tabs on it

there appear to be fairly widespread internet issues today in general...possibly level3 related? haven't been keeping close tabs on it

yea, it looks like there's a CDN somwhere having issues because a lot of the internet is half broken today.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Feature Update broke a supplier's website. No surprise since it requires IE only.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    So I get a call this morning for my program, and it's more of a tech support one so I'm going to share it with you guys.

her - "Hi bowen, I'm noticing some duplicates on vaccines."
    me - "are they all being duplicated?"
    her - "no just some of them"
    me - "is there any commonality between them, or are they different in every conceivable way?"
    her - "no they're all different types and lot #s and all that"
    me - "unless there's something common between them, and unless it's happening with every entry, it's not a program error, it's a user error"
    me - "who entered them?"
    her - "I did"

me - "okay, so I'm going to explain what happened, because you're one of the few people who does this. You opened up two instances of the program, one in our RDP server and one on your desktop, and put them on different monitors because you weren't paying attention. And when you opened them both, they both got the default state of the patient at load. So you probably switched to the vax screen, entered the data, then someone called or distracted you and you updated and searched that new patient via phone call, so then you looked at your RDP server instance, and saw it didn't have the vax and re-entered a new instance of it because you didn't refresh the data."

her - "no I would never do that"
    me - "you've done it before"
    her - "whatever"

Sometimes I need to be a dick and I hate having to act like that. They're supposed to hit refresh every time they bring the patient's screen back up from being minimized or they come back from somewhere else. I could auto refresh it but it's annoys them when it auto refreshes data.

She does this once every few weeks, and I'm not going to intervene with code solutions. They had me remove some constraints on uniqueness because they'd often delete stuff and then re-add it because they're klutzes and I wasn't going to get involved with the database every fucking time they did it. And since delete isn't really "delete" (we have to keep records of things since we're medical, they're just hidden) if you re-add the same thing instead of "undeleting" (a concept they cannot for the life of them figure out) it would never show up because of the uniqueness errors (a warning they just kept clicking "okay" to, and then calling me).

Yea, trying to technology the way out of a user problem is one of my big pet peeves. It's something I have to push back on all the time. and people don't understand why I, as an IT person, don't want to "technology" everything.

You can only protect the users from themselves to a certain point. After that point it actually becomes harder for everyone. It's more cumbersome for the user, more work for me to manage, and actually lowers productivity.

It's really hard to explain that to a lot of people.

Hmm Spectrum wants to put a Point-To-Point in between our two offices.

That seems cool, certainly will cut down on VPN overhead.

I mean, teching your way around user error is kind of our main thing.

but yeah it's also like, that what we've been doing

if there are still sources of user error left its either the ones we can't fix or the ones you don't like the fix for

yea, it looks like there's a CDN somwhere having issues because a lot of the internet is half broken today.

so I saw an RFO on this today that it was a single configuration change related to a single L3 customer that ended up causing all the problems yesterday.

it included a line that the person who made the change was "identified."

someone is having a very, very bad day today. :rotate:

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

so I saw an RFO on this today that it was a single configuration change related to a single L3 customer that ended up causing all the problems yesterday.

was it one of those "we advertised bad BGP routes for the entire internet" again?

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.

was it one of those "we advertised bad BGP routes for the entire internet" again?

wasn't clear; just said something about it effecting "routing policy" or something along those lines...intentionally vague.

I'm sick of Level3's bullshit.

I used to love them but in the last couple of years they've acted like Keystone cops.

bowen wrote: »
    me - "okay, so I'm going to explain what happened, because you're one of the few people who does this. You opened up two instances of the program, one in our RDP server and one on your desktop, and put them on different monitors because you weren't paying attention

You should probably protect them from themselves and not have this be possible, if that's... ehhrr... possiblah...

I hate every one of our clients that choose to have this 'one-foot-in-one-foot-out' sort of RDP environment. Users always fuck it up.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I'm sick of Level3's bullshit.

I used to love them but in the last couple of years they've acted like Keystone cops.

Don't worry, CenturyLink I'm sure will make sure they handle the takeover very well...

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    network keeps crashing at major location all damn day. high traffic spike, crash aroo.
    Getting irksome. Start data digging. 50 meg metro circuit, we hover between 15 and 25 megs of usage usually as a baseline (all internal, they have own external).

1 port far far far in my network is pulling 30 megs across a 50 meg circuit all by itself.

Turns out- its out tier 1 help desk guys windows updating 4 pcs at once to a proxy across the metro link from them.

Self inflicted gd it.

Suppose i need to push admin to finish the gd wsus server. Or fix that web connect such that they can proxy out of it local to them.

I need a drink.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    me - "okay, so I'm going to explain what happened, because you're one of the few people who does this. You opened up two instances of the program, one in our RDP server and one on your desktop, and put them on different monitors because you weren't paying attention

You should probably protect them from themselves and not have this be possible, if that's... ehhrr... possiblah...

I hate every one of our clients that choose to have this 'one-foot-in-one-foot-out' sort of RDP environment. Users always fuck it up.

I mean, I could, but if they don't log out properly it'd be just as fucking annoying dealing with it.

I mean, I could, but if they don't log out properly it'd be just as fucking annoying dealing with it.

.... meaning...? I don't follow. Take the program off their desktop. Now they can only log into it in one place.

it appears my company's plan for Win10 transition is "well, at some point in the near future we will no longer be able to buy Win7 hardware, and then the rest will work itself out, should be fine"

Aioua wrote: »
    it appears my company's plan for Win10 transition is "well, at some point in the near future we will no longer be able to buy Win7 hardware, and then the rest will work itself out, should be fine"

I don't work in procurement here, but I think that day is pretty much here for us.

I don't work in procurement here, but I think that day is pretty much here for us.

yea we had to develop win10 plans real quick when 15 desktops with intel 7xxx series processors showed up......

yea we had to develop win10 plans real quick when 15 desktops with intel 7xxx series processors showed up......

and for the record was "welp lets install everything we need to run on Win10 and hope it all works"

and for the record was "welp lets install everything we need to run on Win10 and hope it all works"

This is the same plan practically everyone has.

God DAMMIT. Every time I try to close this ticket I get a bounceback email from the customer's OOO and it re-opens automatically.

This discussion has been closed.