As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Seeker of Void is a really good role and while non-interactive go-fuck-yourself decks are my jam* I'd rather have an interactive-and-powerful Scorpion than a non-interactive inconsistent one.

I don't think there are many people out there who dislike being the one playing a "non-interactive go-fuck-yourself deck".

cckerberos.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    cckerberos wrote: »
    Seeker of Void is a really good role and while non-interactive go-fuck-yourself decks are my jam* I'd rather have an interactive-and-powerful Scorpion than a non-interactive inconsistent one.

I don't think there are many people out there who dislike being the one playing a "non-interactive go-fuck-yourself deck".

3b08aefda5e20cdc934108458b1c28a27791f365_hq.jpg

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I think I'm bad at this game. Dragon is just not clicking with me, but I honestly don't know what I'd play instead.

Lion is pretty beginner friendly, the lines are mostly straightforward and they've got good Dynasty cards.

It's not so much that I need a beginner friendly deck because I don't understand the rules. I'm just playing the wrong game. My tempo is off, my card valuation is off, etc.

Anyone reading any blogs or watching any videos that they think are particularly valuable for consuming the meta?

What is this I don't even.
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I think I'm bad at this game. Dragon is just not clicking with me, but I honestly don't know what I'd play instead.

Lion is pretty beginner friendly, the lines are mostly straightforward and they've got good Dynasty cards.

It's not so much that I need a beginner friendly deck because I don't understand the rules. I'm just playing the wrong game. My tempo is off, my card valuation is off, etc.

Anyone reading any blogs or watching any videos that they think are particularly valuable for consuming the meta?

Are you on Discord? Clan chat especially is pretty vital. They've been so helpful for understanding things and just having more people experimenting and reporting back is helpful.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I haven't used the L5R discord, hmm.

What is this I don't even.
    It's a treasure trove. Enjoy. Make sure to read the server rules, it'll tell you how to affiliate with a clan and join that chat. Basically you go to the botchatter room and do a !clan whatever.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

New article up talking about Tears.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I wonder if knowing about those provinces would have changed things.

So happy we are keeper of void! :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I wonder if knowing about those provinces would have changed things.

So happy we are keeper of void! :)

We already did, actually. Both of those were spoiled unofficially.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Facebook is blowing up today with a ruling:

Nate French has declared that as long as you are in step 6 of setup (Fill provinces), you can look at your facedown dynasty cards. In other words, you can see what you got, post-mulligan.

Now, this is a 5 second window, so why does it matter? Because it can help inform you about what cards to pick in your conflict mulligan.

I can see the argument going either way in the rules reference, so we'll need to wait and see if anything official comes out about this. But so far Nate and CardGameDB are in agreement, with the demos Brad gave (and how people played at worlds) being on the old interpretation.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    That's interesting. The Learn to Play rules are very explicit that you don't get to look at the mulliganned cards, but it doesn't look like that made it into the Rules Reference.

I personally prefer to see them.

That's interesting. The Learn to Play rules are very explicit that you don't get to look at the mulliganned cards, but it doesn't look like that made it into the Rules Reference.

I personally prefer to see them.

So I double checked that, and I'd consider the LTP vague too!

"After placing these cards during setup, each player
    has one opportunity to look at their facedown cards,
    choose which ones they wish to keep, and replace the
    rest (known as a mulligan). Set aside the cards to be
    replaced and deal a new facedown card into each empty
    province. Then shuffle the replaced cards back into the
    dynasty deck.

Note: After this point, players are not permitted to look
    at facedown cards in their provinces."

This piggybacks on my question of whether you get to rearrange the cards based on your provinces or not.

Okay! I got my deck put into fiveringsdb.

I need to modify this into a 3 core deck here at some point.

https://fiveringsdb.com/strains/1ea7465d-c360-11e7-9e9b-8e1ccf16fca4/view

edited November 2017
    Preview: Phoenix event: Benten's Touch.

EDIT: More!

Crab Attachment: PIT TRAP

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Benten's Touch is basically what Phoenix needed, a way to reliably honor their dudes.

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Unicorn needed it more, to be honest.

cckerberos.png
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Funny that I haven't played a game yet, am most interested in Phoenix, and had felt - looking through the cards - they were lacking in exactly that department.
    Now if only the card wasn't called Ben Ten's Touch. :p (I'll never not be able to see that)

Benten's Touch is basically what Phoenix needed, a way to reliably honor their dudes.

Had I known about this card's existence when I was picking a clan, it might have ended differently as this was essentially the problem I had with the clan while I was trying them out. Serene Warrior now waaaaaaay crazier.

I'm too far team blue though. I might try them out as a side thing if I get bored here and there though.

Also, this is the best link to keep up on leaks, so you should check it out. It hasn't added last night's flurry though.
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Preview: Phoenix event: Benten's Touch.

EDIT: More!

Crab Attachment: PIT TRAP

Pit Trap is hilarious, because rules as written it doesn't do anything. The intent is clear, but so far the ruling has been that the attachments check for the current state, so once the attacking character is no longer attacking, it falls off.

There's also this card, which is a rules nightmare.

The FAQ entry on that card is going to be like a whole page.

edited November 2017
    I saw a lot of people talking about pit trap not working. They are wrong.

There is no mention of requirements for an ongoing state, only the initial target state. It would need "attacking player only" to fall off at the end of the conflict per typical FFG templating.

Edit: I also see nothing unclear about the holding. You can attach as many scorpion under there as you like. The action can be fired at any time except the dynasty phase (okay this likely needs clarification as the face down card isn't in the province face up), and you pay full cost for whatever you put into play this way.

Athenor on

There is no mention of requirements for an ongoing state, only the initial target state. It would need "attacking player only" to fall off at the end of the conflict per typical FFG templating.

Edit: I also see nothing unclear about the holding. You can attach as many scorpion under there as you like. The action can be fired at any time except the dynasty phase (okay this likely needs clarification as the face down card isn't in the province face up), and you pay full cost for whatever you put into play this way.

So far Born in War currently updates. There is a ruling on Blackmail which also makes this murky. "If you take control of a character that has an attachment that says "Attach only to characters you control", that attachment is immediately discarded."

The holding is a trainwreck. Do they ever leave play? So if an honored or dishonored character leave do you gain or lose the honor? What if I Shosuro Actress your character, and then that character leaves play. Does it go on the Hideaway? The rules as written say if I have a card of yours that leaves play, it instead goes to the equivalent zone that you control (if I bounce it to my hand, it goes to yours, if it goes to my discard, it goes to yours, etc). What the hell is the equivalent zone to the hideaway?

Are the attached cards in play? It's attached to the hideaway, can I play let go on it if it is in play? Since they're in play, shouldn't they be subject to the fate phase and leave play during that phase? If it never leaves play, what happens to the fate and attachments on the body since they were never taken off when leaving play?

Can a conflict character be played outside of the Dynasty phase? Can the action itself be used outside of the Dynasty phase?

edited November 2017
    ChaosHat wrote: »

So far Born in War currently updates. There is a ruling on Blackmail which also makes this murky. "If you take control of a character that has an attachment that says "Attach only to characters you control", that attachment is immediately discarded."

"Only" is the key word here. Pit Trap is missing that, so it sticks around as long as the character does after you meet its initial attachment goal.
    The holding is a trainwreck. Do they ever leave play?

Yes. Leaving play is a cost, as it is before the dash. If something prevents the card from leaving play, you can't use the interrupt.

So if an honored or dishonored character leave do you gain or lose the honor?

Yes. It left play.
    What if I Shosuro Actress your character, and then that character leaves play. Does it go on the Hideaway? The rules as written say if I have a card of yours that leaves play, it instead goes to the equivalent zone that you control (if I bounce it to my hand, it goes to yours, if it goes to my discard, it goes to yours, etc). What the hell is the equivalent zone to the hideaway?

This one I can see the murkiness on. Do you control it when it leaves play? I'd honestly say yes, because it specifically calls out "placing in its owner's discard pile." Consider it like a kidnapping. If they hadn't thought of this scenario, the templating wouldn't call out controller and owner separately.
    Are the attached cards in play?

RRG on in play and out of play:
    In Play and Out of Play

The cards (generally characters and attachments) that a player controls in his or her play area (at home or participating in a conflict), a player’s stronghold card, a player’s faceup province cards, and all holdings on a player’s provinces are considered “in play.” A player’s facedown provinces are considered in play only as “facedown provinces,” and the ability text on such cards is not considered active until the card is revealed.

“Out-of-play” refers to all other cards and areas involved in the game environment, including: character cards in a player’s provinces, role cards, cards in a player’s hand, decks, discard piles, and any cards that have been removed from the game.

By the strictest reading, Back-Alley Hideaway is in-play, but cards attached to it are considered out of play because they don't fall into the "in-play" callout. The attached cards aren't in the home or participating in a conflict like normal attachments are.

It's attached to the hideaway, can I play let go on it if it is in play? Since they're in play, shouldn't they be subject to the fate phase and leave play during that phase? If it never leaves play, what happens to the fate and attachments on the body since they were never taken off when leaving play?

Again, I come at it from the position that leaving play is part of the interrupt cost. As a result, fate would go away, attachments would discard, so on. Let Go is a bit murkier - Again, because it is not in play I wouldn't consider it valid, but theoretically the card could still be moved to the discard phase.
    Can a conflict character be played outside of the Dynasty phase? Can the action itself be used outside of the Dynasty phase?

The dynasty phase framework says you can either play characters from provinces or play Actions. As the only cost of using Back-Alley Hideaway is to spend an action, you can do that whenever. This is different than playing a conflict character from your hand, and is different than playing a dynasty character from your provinces.

Now, with all that said, your original point about needing a FAQ entry is accurate. You pretty much just need to say "leaving play is a cost; a card attached to the holding face-down is considered out of play." But I don't find the card confusing or misleading if you understand the templating of the game.

Edit: This last part is not directed at you, ChaosHat, btw. Please don't take this personally! I am just tired of seeing lots of people trying to twist the rules online to their own purposes, and the whole mulligan thing yesterday probably riled me up more than I wanted. :(

Athenor on
    edited November 2017
    I agree the card is mostly clarifying with common sense and an understanding of probable intent. The card probably formally "leaves play," sanitizing it of all tokens and whatnot, and then instead of going to the discard is on the holding. You play the card during the dynasty phase like normal.

But you don't want to leave it up to whatever random judge or the TO at your FLGS says. It's just really ambiguous and that's not a good way to be. If I want to play let go, there should be something crystal clear so both me and the player have a clear understanding of what's going on so we don't have to look it up later and be pissed off at whatever outcome some local guy came up with.

I'm not offended at all so don't worry. It just seems like a dumb card to release in a vacuum of other clarifying information. FFG does this shit all the time, like the Hotaru/Toturi ruling. I guess that was different since the preview article still expressly said it works on defense but the wording on the card is ambiguous and it doesn't have to be since it could easily have a "when attacking" limit written on there.

Like this card would be unacceptably vague in MTG and I get they have a way bigger rules staff but you gotta get close.

ChaosHat on
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    When I downloaded the rules reference I was seriously expecting something like the Magic Comp Rules document and was seriously dissapointed to find basically an index.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    This is perhaps another case where it is fun to point out that FFG has 3 different departments: Development, Marketing, and Organized Play... and they don't always communicate the best together. I suspect the change in the wording to the rings to make them only work for the attacking player was a VERY late addition to the game, perhaps even after the marketers had written their articles.

edited November 2017
    This is perhaps another case where it is fun to point out that FFG has 3 different departments: Development, Marketing, and Organized Play... and they don't always communicate the best together. I suspect the change in the wording to the rings to make them only work for the attacking player was a VERY late addition to the game, perhaps even after the marketers had written their articles.

The card as written hasn't/wasn't changed though, and that's my beef. If that was the intent the whole time, why not state "on attack"? The way it does work is the most counter intuitive thing. I can fire the ring but my opponent controls it? Come on. I guess it allows the play where they swing with void, you defend successfully and you have zero fated characters so you trigger it and force them to remove a fate off their character?

I don't even think it would be broken if it could be triggered on defense. Especially not for Hotaru. I think she's one of the weaker champions overall.

Before anyone asks, I know Toturi is basically identical but he is better because:

1) Charge + For Greater Glory/Kitsu Spiritcaller
    2) Bushi matters more to Lion than it does Crane.
    3) Why isn't Hotaru a Courtier if Shoju gets to be both come on.

ChaosHat on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

New article up talking about Tears.

Hmmm

I don’t like that they are putting out more nameless characters

fuck gendered marketing
    I like that being a named character actually means something now.

edited November 2017
    Scorpion Character: Illustrious Plagiarist

EDIT’d to add in the original source article.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited November 2017
    Scorpion personality: Illustrious Plagiarist

I love this card and also think it's probably bad because 4f for those stats is rough when the ability is inconsistent.

The best part of this card is that if I'm playing Scorpion and my opponent shuffles their conflict discard I can call over a judge and get them DQed*.

*I'm joking**

**mostly

admanb on
    Use this power only for good.

...well, as good as a Scorpion can get. Knock out the scumlord, the slow-player, the shit-talker...

persona4celestia.jpg
    Okay, I've fallen in love.

If you haven't seen it yet, http://thelotuspavilion.com is absolutely awesome. I've sent an email to its creator to see if we can get it running https and maybe add some date/time columns.

Oh hey, Ide Tadaji.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Man, did I have a hell of a brawl against a crab today. Eventually I feinted him (kinda sorta) into overcomitting on my stronghold, using cavalry charge to gain 9 strength instantly, then born in war for another 3, then the mountain does not fall to keep my champion alive. Dude conceded. :) Awesome game though.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    New gross (in a good way) Lion card spoiler, Ikoma Ujiaki:

xb6dakmsjqhy.jpg

edited November 2017
    Uuuuuuugh.

Though the Crane unique character with a "discard the imperial favor" ability is also pretty powerful, so it makes sense.

Kind of weird that they're putting that cost on much weaker cards and abilities in addition to these two.

admanb on
    Uuuuuuugh.

Though the Crane unique character with a "discard the imperial favor" ability is also pretty powerful, so it makes sense.

Kind of weird that they're putting that cost on much weaker cards and abilities in addition to these two.

Granted I think this one is way stronger overall. Free double charge yay!

There's also this which I don't know how I feel about.

The source on Censure, for completeness.

With how they keep on constantly getting great cards, I wonder if there’s going to be a Lion bandwagon in the upcoming season. Especially with new players, who might get disenfranchised with their currrent faction due to others getting real good stuff.

persona4celestia.jpg
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Teases. I was hoping to learn more about the Naga.

• NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    The great thing about "Illustrious Plagiarist" is that it breaks some mechanics. You can play those actions without the fate cost. You only pay a cost if it is listed after the word Action: and before the -.

Also, you can use actions beyond their normal limits. So if you play "Banzai!" and your opponent counters with a "Banzai!", your plagiarist can copy that action from the graveyard. Since the action is being triggered from a card with a different title than "Banzai!", it can be used a second time despite the normal limit.