As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Artwork of Newness

falconirefalconire Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Artist's Corner
This is a new piece where I decided to play around with color and patterns.

leopardgirl.png

falconire on

• Options
    EpiEpi Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hey, its a Trill Symbiont!

Her breasts are disproportionately ginormus (and her left bra strap looks like it leads straight to the areola)

Her shoulders and armpits are especially suffering from bad anatomy

You have several perspective issues:
    Each breast has a different perspective
    body and head
    nose and mouth

The clothing also looks lopsided on the body and the necklace is far too small

Now the background, which I think might be your primary concern, is not bad. I think you could do with more geometric/perfect circles rather than freehand. The colors could do with a little fixing as well. Some of the blues just look drab and grey

Epi on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm thinking if I use the strange trippy spiral background again I'll do is using a computer and thus have cleaner lines and different sized circles.

falconire on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I've also been meaning to post a link to this drawing http://falconire.deviantart.com/art/Fall-of-the-Heroes-3-61747795. I'd place it here but it's far too long to fit, you'll what I mean.

falconire on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I personally love the coloring and line thickness on that, but, to summon some scott kurtz, "dyamm.. those are some huge bazooms...."

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hey falconire...

So you've been posting for a while and its always the same responses...

- study anatomy
    - study color theory

That still holds true...

I like how you're trying something else but you still have the same issues as all your other posts.

Personally i think you should put away photoshop for a while, buy a sketchbook, take out a pencil, and get to drawing.

Study from life, go to the park, draw some people jogging or whatever you gotta do.

Do some studies, come back and post those.

I'm sure you'll get a much better response from everyone if you do this one thing for us.

Please?

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Actually I'm buying several books on color theory and anatomy since I understand that they both need work, I don't really see it myself but since a large group of people have said it I'm looking into it. However, something like this I did partly for fun and partly for a little practice but I liked how it came out and often times I don't see the flaws in my own work, so occasionally I post here to sort of show that I am improving from where I way say, a year ago, which I look back and wonder why it was I would even bother posting some of the art that I did.

I do have a sketchbook though and when I can I find time to use it I do. This drawing actually started as just a sketch in the book but I liked how the various designs and everything came out so I had to see how it would look colored, although I'm wondering if I should have gone with warm tones instead of cold.

Anywho, I appreciate the advice and I'll keep practicing.

falconire on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm just tossin ideas out, but y not choose a focal point and have it contrast your blue color scheme to give the painting a bit more focus. for example, I'd try by taking a soft brush with low opacity and give the necklacepiece a nice, illuminating/golden hue. So yeah, sketching aside, just experiment and have fun with it is all I can say for now.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    That's not a bad idea, I'll work that in.

falconire on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You really can't see the flaws in your own work?

Really?

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Bear says it needs bigger breasts.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You really can't see the flaws in your own work?

Really?

First off, if you want to have a respectful conversation then ok then, but if you start acting like a jerk or acting disrespectful or insulting then I'll just stop there. No offense or anything, it just that I'm not here to argue.

But to answer your question, no, I do not see the flaws, otherwise I would simply fix them. People here have said I have anatomy problems repeatably, and looking back at a lot of my older work I've posted here in a lot of ways I can see what they mean after I've practiced more and learned more. However, as an example with the post about her shoulders not being proper anatomy, I just don't see it. However I will look into it even though I don't see it and spend some time practicing proper drawing of womens shoulders. In a lot posts in the past too I've asked people to explain what they meant by flawed anatomy and explain how they would change it short of simply giving a "Just learn anatomy" answer. The reason I ask this is that I learn from people pointing individual things like that out, plus if I draw something a certain way that is contradictory to anatomy but people hate it I'd like to be able to explain that (an example would be in a previous webcomic I did I got a lot of people who bashed the fact that a certain character had one eye that was a lot larger than his other, however, that was on purpose, but just an example).

So anyway, if you could suggest something specific that you would change on the drawing and why then will definatly look into it.

falconire on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    yeah, u better expect some tough responses on whatever piece you post here - I myself can be real prick at times, but if anything it should help motivate you to get better. Just tough it out and roll with it.

Ne ways, the 'study anatomy' thing does sound lazy, but it's the best thing ne one can do. Even after when you paint a figure with warped figures or um, exceptional assets, having a solid understanding of anatomy will help guide ur approach so ur end product looks more intended vice concocted out of error.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I don't know why studying anatomy would sound lazy but ok.

falconire on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    no-no I meant it may sound like a lazy "response"

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    ok, I can kind of see what you're saying there.

falconire on