As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    After a point there's no point in breaking down weapons for upgrade materials so you're better off just selling it all.

Man when is that point? I've been breaking down everything that isn't gold and buying materials from vendors constantly and only upgraded 3 of pieces and I still don't think I'll get close to even finishing those 3 let alone even starting upgrades on any of the others

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    It's basically immediately because you're better off having gold to upgrade your favourite legendary weapons and then just kill dudes for materials.

In the end game dudes are carrying 30 of each material and even early mid game they have 20.

I wish I knew this sooner rather than later.

Also the loot on kill for melee/assassination is a god send.

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    It's basically immediately because you're better off having gold to upgrade your favourite legendary weapons and then just kill dudes for materials.

In the end game dudes are carrying 30 of each material and even early mid game they have 20.

The game dumps so many weapons on you I've found little reason to be upgrading anything. At best I upgrade my single favorite gold melee weapon every 5 levels to keep it relevant. If my highest level item in a slot is a blue, I just use that, and when I get duplicate higher level purple items, I keep that one and dump the lower level one. You'll never have enough money to try and keep all your stuff up to date with the blacksmith.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    My dumb plan is to get to the level cap and then upgrade Bayek’s dad’s sword

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I've got everything for my final set of upgrades except for the carbon crystals, which I guess I need to do two or three area of exploring for.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    I've got everything for my final set of upgrades except for the carbon crystals, which I guess I need to do two or three area of exploring for.

If you've somehow got a lot of cash, Nomad sells them.

• Options

The game dumps so many weapons on you I've found little reason to be upgrading anything. At best I upgrade my single favorite gold melee weapon every 5 levels to keep it relevant. If my highest level item in a slot is a blue, I just use that, and when I get duplicate higher level purple items, I keep that one and dump the lower level one. You'll never have enough money to try and keep all your stuff up to date with the blacksmith.

I did have enough gold to upgrade all of the ones I liked using which was 2-3 and then others that I liked dropped off dudes.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm level 30 and blue gear is the only gear that drops off of enemies

Purple and gold gear is sometimes a reward for a mission or occasionally found in a chest

• Options
    Phylakes all drop a piece of gold gear and yeh you get some as quest rewards.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Need a little help in Giza
    there's a question mark on the map behind and apparently under the Sphinx
    I've been to the actual chamber under the Sphinx,
    with the big map room and all that jazz, so this isn't that, but I don't know how to get to whatever it is
    Do all the stone circles, collect 50 silica from tombs, then go back.

I stopped progression to do that and consider it time well spent, really like the armor you get from it.

Just realized there is armor from coliseums and phylakes to get too.

soylenth on
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Giza, aside from the pyramids, is such a shithole and I hate it
    Which, I guess, makes sense. It's all tombs, it isn't a residential area. It's just looters, bandits and people trying to scam tourists, I get it
    But it's not real fun to explore, between the always aggro bandits and the hyenas

I consider hyenas to be good soft leather crafting farming because they don't run away...

• Options
    Also, my tip for Phylakes:
    bow+horseback. I just do little circles on my mount to avoid return fire and plunk away with headshots with a hunter bow (possibly supplemented with other bows if I run out of hunting arrows). I have quiver fully upgraded so I have lots of arrows, but still. Like my last 6 phylakes kills have been basically painless. Especially if you can set them on fire. It kind of feels like an exploit tbh. The only complication is if we attract attention from guards, which can upset the dynamic if they knock me off my horse. Still, pick the right spot and you should be good.

• Options
    It's also good to give them some stabs with the hidden blade or drop on em like the asylum demon

• Options
    Weirdly, I have never even attempted a stealth kill of a phylakes. I just assumed their heal pool was big enough that it would only enrage them. I was storming a big fort at one point, and tried to air assassinate some big dude torturing people in a pit, and it only took a 5th of his health away ... and it got quite exciting at that point.

• Options
    Oh, you can't assassinate a Phylax, but it takes a chunk of their health

• Options
    I have a few left, I will try that as an opener. Can always try to get into range after.

• Options
    The thing that drives me in these games is partly story and partly just assassin fashion. Now that I have the sphinx outfit, I need/want the phylakes and the coliseum outfit. My urge to play these games dies right around the time I'm done with the main story, so I try and do as much alternate stuff as I can first.

the only thing that bothers me about outfits in this one, is people are all the time noticing my medjay badge ... which does not appear anywhere on my current outfit.

• Options
    Also, phylax/phylakes, I don't understand greek plurals. Or are they egyptian? It's all greek to me.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Just starting meeting up with Apollodorus.

His armour looks really cool, like the round shield and spear look.

It's a very pretty game.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    Also, phylax/phylakes, I don't understand greek plurals. Or are they egyptian? It's all greek to me.

Phylax singular, Phylakes plural
    I don't know about all of them as individuals, maybe some of them are locals, but the title is Greek and they serve the Greek ruling dynasty

• Options
    I actually appreciate how much history this game has made me look up! It's been interesting!

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Man, I really don’t care that hard about the upgrade system/rarity color scheme/specialty crap. It just gives me bad flashbacks to Darksiders 2.

I suppose I should just be happy that the armor/bracers/ammo system is straightforward leveling and I don’t have to be bothered about the purple armor that provides melee poison clouds versus teal armor that gives improved regeneration or whatever.

It wasn’t enough to have like a dozen weapon types when you can only equip 2 melee and 2 ranged at a time?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Man, I really don’t care that hard about the upgrade system/rarity color scheme/specialty crap. It just gives me bad flashbacks to Darksiders 2.

I suppose I should just be happy that the armor/bracers/ammo system is straightforward leveling and I don’t have to be bothered about the purple armor that provides melee poison clouds versus teal armor that gives improved regeneration or whatever.

It wasn’t enough to have like a dozen weapon types when you can only equip 2 melee and 2 ranged at a time?

MORE LOOT

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    I killed my first phylax and got this dumb cursed spear
    Am I ever gonna use this? Probably not. Dumb spear

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I confess, I have a weakness for ancient Egypt. But holy shit is
    finding creepy precursor messages about reality hidden in the deserts the fucking coolest thing oh my god

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    I do have to say, I friggin love this game, weird control choices and loot effluvia aside.

Although it's awfully ironic that apparently selling excess weapons is a better deal than dismantling them. That totally sounds like the opposite of what they'd do.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    finding creepy precursor messages about reality hidden in the deserts the fucking coolest thing oh my god

Oh my god. Sphinx spoiler. Major spoiler.
    Was that Desmond? Is he implying what I think he's implying? That Layla can build an Animus that can allow her to rewrite history?
    Because holy shit.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Just started playing this on the one x, so good, I love it

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I do have to say, I friggin love this game, weird control choices and loot effluvia aside.

Although it's awfully ironic that apparently selling excess weapons is a better deal than dismantling them. That totally sounds like the opposite of what they'd do.

Weapons sell for less than the buying price of the materials that they break down into so it makes some sense. For example, this blue shield I just dismantled gave me 4 bronze which would cost 300 to buy and the shield would have sold for 110.

Upgrading a purple shield just once would require selling 13 blues which just highlights how out of whack the income/expense ratio is.

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    This may sound crazy, but Origins is so pretty and the world scale is so impressive, I could so see the point of adding VR support-mind you, keeping it third person of course, but having that sense of depth and and field of view would be insane.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

Oh my god. Sphinx spoiler. Major spoiler.
    Was that Desmond? Is he implying what I think he's implying? That Layla can build an Animus that can allow her to rewrite history?
    Because holy shit.
    the six precursor audio logs head this way as well, that what we think are the rules of genetic memory and eagle vision are just limiting us, and these things only scratch at the surface of what can be done with reality, and that even all of minerva's calculations were only the beginning

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Precursor stuff:
    I've only found the one message so far (while hunting the Hyena), but Bayek didn't react at all, just stood there while the exposition washed over him. Does he ever acknowledge the voices talking about things he can't possibly understand?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Precursor stuff:
    I've only found the one message so far (while hunting the Hyena), but Bayek didn't react at all, just stood there while the exposition washed over him. Does he ever acknowledge the voices talking about things he can't possibly understand?
    he might not even be able to hear it.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Just got to Alexandria and met Aya. So far I pretty much being doing every side quest, fighting the bandits, sneaking into guarded areas and regularly playing it. I been at least a level higher than most enemies, usually 2 so I been able to assassinate no problem

Alexendria is the first spot where a soldier just shrugged off an air assassination.

Nope, didn't like that at all. I get that the game is an rpg now, but man, that takes so much out of the fun for me.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017

Dang I didn't know how much they carried. Thanks for that tip!

The few times I tried to kill one they just rode away on horse back very rapidly while their friends mowed me down with arrows so I gave up haha.

edit: Although the thing I buy the most of is the skins which I don't think those guys carry? Hunting those is absolutely obnoxious. And actually fighting the animals seems to not work great with the battle system and makes the whole thing just feel like a giant annoying time sink. And nothing is worse than running after a mark only to arrive and find out it's too high of a level to fight and whoops! Ran over there for nothing.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Generally, if you follow the story mission path around the map, you will fight enemies and animals that are within a few levels of your character.

The trick with hunting is to use Senu to find animals, stalk them (crouch), and shoot them with your hunter bow or your light bow

• Options
    When hunting, use Senu to mark the animal with the material icon and kill it first. Those net more material, eg. +4 vs +1 for a standard animal, so when you scare off the group after the first kill you don't have to chase the big one. Hyena groups are good for soft leather too as they don't run away. Crocs and hippos won't run either for hard leather. Also keep an eye on what Senu is doing, it will kill small animals occasionally for you while hunting that you can collect for free.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    My bow is on auto fire where I just keep peeling off arrows at the bad dudes.

How do I change it back to the other pull back and charge thing?

• Options
    When hunting, use Senu to mark the animal with the material icon and kill it first. Those net more material, eg. +4 vs +1 for a standard animal, so when you scare off the group after the first kill you don't have to chase the big one. Hyena groups are good for soft leather too as they don't run away. Crocs and hippos won't run either for hard leather. Also keep an eye on what Senu is doing, it will kill small animals occasionally for you while hunting that you can collect for free.

I was wondering about this, but never gave Senu the credit.

Just figured that somehow that +4 hide gazelle was like, extra gazelle-y.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    My bow is on auto fire where I just keep peeling off arrows at the bad dudes.

How do I change it back to the other pull back and charge thing?

There are four different kinds of bow and that sounds like the light bow. The hunter bow is what you want.