As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Nine Tenths

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Nine Tenths

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Comments from some of the more talkative targets imply that things that you take over don't remember anything from when you took over their body. They do teleport away if you leave them alone afterwards, though, presumably to an endless void where they'll spend the rest of eternity slowly going mad.

• RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Their minds are still there I think, they see everything you do and see, they're just in the backseat.

Also you're actually freeing them once you pop out of them because they've been under control from those hats controlling them, you knock of their hats to control them with yours. The hats are body snatchers.

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • MediumThrillsMediumThrills Registered User new member
    Is that a Stranger Things reference in panel three?

• ProwlingmonkeyProwlingmonkey Registered User regular
    Mario is a Warg

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Dude

I’m the Goomba

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular

With the appearance of water at it's feet and so soon after season 2, I'd say so.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Opened at work without my headphones plugged in. Everyone turned around to look at me. Oops.

Also, this is some pretty low hanging fruit as they would call it. I feel like everyone has made this joke or commented about it already.

• Giancarlo MagnoGiancarlo Magno Registered User regular
    "Malkovich, Malkovich"

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    It puts the hat on its head or it gets the F.L.U.D.D. again

Chiselphane on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

I think it's a reference to a horror movie from this year that's kind of a spoiler!
    Get Out. Is about body snatchers that transplant their brains into new hosts. The host's experience is of living in a dark void, only able to see through a small window out into the real world. Looks a lot like that.

Buuut it does look similar to Eleven's otherworld journey stuff too.

Wildcard third choice is Under The Skin.

Oh brilliant
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Does Mario's body stick around, vulnerable, while he possesses the goomba? If not, the real question is, where is Mario?

On the subject of one's mind being taken over, leaving one's consciousness shackled in the backseat while someone else drives... I've been watching He-Man with my son and I'm struck by how much Cringer hates turning into "that horrid Battle Cat." Clearly Battle Cat is a separate personality from Cringer. Yet Cringer remembers the violence his body is forced to do while Battle Cat is in control. Long story short.. He-Man is kind of a jerk.

• TrygylTrygyl Registered User regular
    I think it's the moustache that I dislike the most. Like a hat with eyes that takes over your mind to do it's own little thing is bad enough, but then apparently lose hair that was left in the cap digs into the recipient's head and burrows down to their nose, ensuring total control.

• Trogdor6135Trogdor6135 Registered User regular
    Tycho is the last person who should be asking for a moral framework when it comes to possessing bodies.

• JackJack Registered User regular
    Does Mario's body stick around, vulnerable, while he possesses the goomba? If not, the real question is, where is Mario?

The first time you possess something you get a cut scene of Mario's physical body entering its consciousness. You even see fragments of its memories. So Mario is sucked inside and then pops out to collect Moons or to exit the body.

For the record control is indicated by the moustache, since in two-player Cappy can be removed from the possessed being and controlled separately.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    But where do their HATS go?

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Don't be silly, Goombas don't have souls.

• JackJack Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    But where do their HATS go?

You have to knock the hats off first. You can only possess beings that lack hats. As to where the hats you've knocked off heads go... well, they go to the same place the enemies do when you kill them, I assume.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I guess it's no more horrific than SMB, where the blocks are made of cursed Toads. And when you rescue Peach, she turns them back into Toads again: including, presumably, the ones you shattered to pieces.

I mean, at least in Castlevania the soul-candles give you hearts out of gratitude for sending them to their final rest. I can only assume that the coins, mega mushrooms, and 1ups you get from the blocks are the possessions/remains of the Toads inside. And they're not exactly giving them up willingly...

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

I think it's a reference to a horror movie from this year that's kind of a spoiler!
    Get Out. Is about body snatchers that transplant their brains into new hosts. The host's experience is of living in a dark void, only able to see through a small window out into the real world. Looks a lot like that.

Buuut it does look similar to Eleven's otherworld journey stuff too.

Wildcard third choice is Under The Skin.

I was thinking that too,

...and was kind of surprised. Though you've really oversimplified the plot of Get Out with that...

Though I haven't seen Stranger Things, I think it's probably more likely a reference to that instead of Get Out.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    On the topic of the game itself, I keep having this feeling of missing out. I really just don't get Odyssey. I feel like the moons are so plentiful. Oh, look, there's a bump in the ground that's sparkling - oh, yep, there's a moon there. Hey, look, they're selling one at the store - EVERY store - for only 100 coins (of which I have over 1,000 at any given time). Look, there's another one below this overhang, etc. I don't get that feeling I had in M64 or even in the Galaxy games (as far as I can remember - I haven't played them in a while so I could be wrong) where there is actual level *design*. It really does just feel like a sandbox scattered with collection items to me.

Occasionally there are one or two actual multi-moon goals in each level where you actually have do something other than wander around and fall face-first into yet another moon. Though usually there it's just about finding another boss to have (usually not to difficult) combat with.

And those rabbits... goddamn those rabbits - errr, excuse me, BROODALS. I feel like their character design fits into the Mario universe about as well as the "real" humans in New (badonka)Donk City. I felt like the Mario+Rabbids game actually felt like it fit in the Mario universe better, and in that one Mario had GUNS.

I don't hate the game, certainly. It's a decent way to pass the time. But I'm not itching to play it with every spare moment I can eke out, like I was with Link to the Past. Which, oddly enough, was another sandbox game, but then the original Zelda was as much of a sandbox game as you could fit on a cart. I'm not even as eager to play it as I was Steamworld Dig 2.

And it's probably not helped by me playing with the Pro controller. I just can't get into the controller-ettes. Maybe because my hands are too large and those buttons are so damn small. I feel like I'm doing the old Wii Waggle a lot of the times. Time to shake the controller, for no other reason because the controller is shakeable.

Yeah, that's my grump. I'm glad other people are enjoying it but every time I read another rave review (like Jerry's newspost to go with this comic), I think "why do I not feel this way?"

• ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    So... Cappy is a Yeerk?

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    It's probably like in Stargate, where the original occupant is still aware, they just cant move or speak, and are forced to watch as the body snatcher commits countless atrocities across the galaxy over millenia.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Mario is a ghost.

• Hawk oneHawk one Registered User regular
    The strip itself: How much worse is it than what Mario's already doing to them, which is, you know, killing them en masse? I mean, apart from bosses and mini-bosses, it's entirely possible to play through a Mario platform game without killing anything, because you can simply dodge them. Heck, a lot of the enemies aren't even actively chasing Mario, they're just in the wrong place at the wrong time. So unless Tycho's in the "avoid all enemies" mode when he plays Mario games, I'm sure he'll be fine.

About Odyssey:

I have a similar reaction as Dennis to Odyssey: About half the game is pretty damn great, but the other half... Not so much. I wrote a lot of words about this here (don't click unless you're a great fan of walls of text): https://skepticalclown.wordpress.com/2017/11/03/the-art-of-video-game-secrets-and-how-super-mario-odyssey-failed-this-art/

Although I only today realised why things were the way they were: Because of the Switch.

See, I normally play my Switch on my TV like Thor intended video games to be played. But today I brought it with me to my job because I knew we'd be slow every now and then. So I ended up playing the game for 5-20 minutes at a time.

And the thing about playing games in short bursts like that... Well, one generally wants to feel like one has accomplished something in that time. And sure, grabbing a couple of random moons gives you that feeling. You play a bit here and there, and at the end of the day, you've made progress.

However, if that is the future of Nintendo's own flagships*; that they now has to be designed around the 5-minute play bursts... Then frankly, I fear for their titles. Because while it did feel nice to accomplish something in a short amount of time, every time... The sense of actual achievement got lost. The sense of proper level design is lost. The sense of going through a proper challenge that does take some time (and hopefully a few attempts) is lost.

Also, fuck their stupid and uninspired jump rope minigame.

*Breath of the Wild eventually wore me down before I could finish it, and I see now that many of the things that got to me in that game is also because of how they were making bite-sized challenges for the player that gets interrupted a lot.

But signatures don't really work, do they?
  • MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I'm still kind of on the fence about getting a Switch. I skipped the Wii U, so I haven't had a Nintendo console since the Wii. Hawk One's comments discourage me a bit more because I had been assuming that Mario and Zelda would still feel like Mario and Zelda games -- in other words, something that I would sit down in front of my tv for an hour or two and come out on the other end with a couple new levels completed. If they truly feel like just a collection of much smaller tasks with not much structure to it all, it might not be as appealing to me.

I have to be honest that the portability of the Switch isn't really a selling point for me and it sounds like the games are now being designed with that in mind. If I did buy a Switch, I would probably almost never play it anywhere except on my tv. I suppose if I'm going to visit my parents for holidays or something I'd bring it along for that....but I wouldn't be hauling it out at a restaurant, the bus stop, on break at work, etc etc.

I did finally play Zelda a bit on a display console at Best Buy. It didn't instantly make me want it, but I didn't have much time to do anything other than kill a couple random monsters and chop down some grass (classic Zelda). I did get a laugh doing the spinning slash and downing a decent sized tree....so there's that I guess. ;)

I guess I don't know the point of this long post. I clearly have more pondering to do to decide if I've finally outgrown console gaming. lol

MarcinMN on
    "It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • doompookydoompooky Wild (Let's Draw A) Horses Couldn't Drag Me AwayRegistered User regular
    Finally some people talking about Odyssey that sound like they've played the same game I have. It has been fun, don't get me wrong, but I've felt like I've been taking crazy pills looking at all these 10/10 reviews.

MarcinMN, Zelda is crazy good, don't count out console gaming until you put some time into it. I had trouble putting it down, where Mario made me walk away every 10 minutes or so after a point. I can definitely see the idea behind Hawk's reaction, but that's not how it felt at all for me, just my 2 cents.

we7ek91hy97o.png
    MarcinMN: At their best, those two games still feel like Mario and Zelda.

It's just that in both cases, the best is now surrounded by a lot that is... not so much the best anymore.

And BotW did not frustrate me so easily as Mario did, I'll tell you that. The main problem for me was that in the end, it was just Too Damn Big. Now, I am of the opinion that a game should end while you still want more, or at least while you're still content.

I sunk more than a hundred hours into BotW (the fact that I played this game that much should indicate that despite its problems, it's still pretty good) and still didn't manage to complete more than about 75-80% of what it had to offer; and I didn't feel like it would offer me anything new or exciting after that, so I just... stopped playing one day.

An often overlooked staple of Zelda games is that it should have a bunch of interesting and quirky characters to talk to. Majora's Mask* in particular did this to a fantastic extent, to the point where it breathed life into shopkeepers and people running shooting galleries. And it's especially apparent inside Clock Town, where a lot of characters has not only personalities, but also their own story unfolding over the three days. Including people that you don't even do quests for.

BotW also has its share of these characters. And when you meet them, they truly are wonderful to talk to.

It's just that they get a bit lost, because there are also a ton of completely uninteresting characters with completely uninteresting quests for you to complete, put in there mainly because a world that huge needed something in it to not be entirely empty (it's still very empty, though). They are fillers. They are stuffing. They're not characters, they're just NPCs. And they (and other things) turned trying to complete a game into a grinding chore.**

So, you know, if you're not a completionist gamer like me, you'll probably like it more than I do, as you can just focus on the fun parts and then go to Ganon when you feel like it. Same goes for Odyssey.

*Majora's Mask will probably remain my favourite Zelda game until the day I die.

**Now, it's not that I'm against grinding. Heck, I recently replayed Kingdom Hearts 2, and I specifically made sure that in each and every world, I gathered enough of the collectable synthesis items to buy them in the shop. And I always maximise the Drives ASAP. It's just that Zelda games usually have kept their grinding elements to a minimum, up until this game; and I feel like it doesn't belong here.

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    it's stranger things 100%

the first scene where eleven uses the bath and spies on the russian.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Tycho is the last person who should be asking for a moral framework when it comes to possessing bodies.

Tycho isn't asking to have Mario's actions be considered good, he just wants a system to understand them. He just needs to be able to rate how evil they are, not justify them because they are righteous.

edited November 2017
    Hawk one wrote: »
    I have a similar reaction as Dennis to Odyssey: About half the game is pretty damn great, but the other half... Not so much. I wrote a lot of words about this here (don't click unless you're a great fan of walls of text): https://skepticalclown.wordpress.com/2017/11/03/the-art-of-video-game-secrets-and-how-super-mario-odyssey-failed-this-art/

In other words, you "Hope I like text"? Indeed I do! That was a very thoughtful writeup. You hit the nail on the head with the "hard to find" vs "hard to get" classifications. Of course, I'd add an "easy to find and get" category for Odyssey, at the very least containing the ones you can buy at the shop for 100 coins.
    Although I only today realised why things were the way they were: Because of the Switch.

And this definitely helped me understand Odyssey and I suppose why so many people have raved about it. Nintendo has finally figured out how to incorporate the mobile game feedback loop. I can also see how that dovetails into Zelda, though overall it provides a better experience because an open world better fits its history of design. But even there, the one ding I gave Zelda was never having a truly satisfying dungeon as every other Zelda game had. It was more Ubisoft collectible game + easier Myst than it was a Zelda game when it came to the actual things you did. They just did a much more fantastic job of packaging it all.

Edit: Now I'm pondering how I'll look back on Odyssey. There still tons of levels of M64 that I remember by heart. Likewise with SMB1-3/SMW. Sunshine was totally forgettable for me because I thought it was blah. But I find I'm also forgetting a lot of SMG1/2, even though I loved playing them. I skipped the one with the cats.

dennis on
  • DrogeistDrogeist Registered User regular
    MARCINMN: I liked your post. I also passed on the Wii U, and I have very similar feelings about whether I'll buy a Switch. The primary attractions are the expected: Zelda, Mario platformers, and Mario Kart. Portability matters less to me, and I don't foresee rooftop Switch parties in my future. Another possible barrier to entry for me is that consoles in general seem to be offering less couch co-op opportunities, and two systems/TVs ain't gonna happen in my house any time soon. I always thought Nintendo was less guilty of this, but it looks like every system is increasingly suffering from it.

About the strip: I also love the name for this one. Clearly, Nine Tenths is a reference to the phrase: "possession" is nine-tenths of the law, but also ... Nine, Ten, "Eleven". I know that's a bit of a stretch, but it seems beyond coincidental given the 3rd panel and what we know about Jerry's proclivities.

There's a Zero Punctuation about Odyssey today, for those interested: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/117154-Yahtzee-Reviews-Super-Mario-Odyssey

• MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Ah, I haven't watched Yahtzee in a while now. It's good to see he's still at it and still makes me laugh. I may have to catch up on what I've missed now.

MarcinMN on
    "It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
    Dennis: The one with the cat is pretty good. It's more of a 3D version New Super Mario Bros. Wii than a continuation of the Super Mario Galaxy, but it was still perfectly enjoyable (if not as super-fun as the Galaxy games) Mario game.

Hawk one wrote: »
    Dennis: The one with the cat is pretty good. It's more of a 3D version New Super Mario Bros. Wii than a continuation of the Super Mario Galaxy, but it was still perfectly enjoyable (if not as super-fun as the Galaxy games) Mario game.

Yeah, I played a bit of it on a store kiosk. Just didn't really grab me. Plus I loathe the WiiU controller. I might try it if they have it cheap on virtual console for the Switch and there's a dry spell.

My main "problem" is not a lack of good games, though. I generally have more games than I have time, what with being a 42 year old man with a wife, 2 young kids and a full time job.