As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DC] New Earth One announced- Hal Jordan as a smart person?? What a twist!

TairuTairu Registered User regular
edited July 2017 in Graphic Violence
Green Lantern: Earth One by Corinna Bechko and Gabriel Hardman (the team behind Invisible Republic) are doing what seems to be a more sci-fi as opposed to superhero take on Green Lantern in the newest Earth One book.

Cover Art:
$
For Green Lantern, the story sees Hal Jordan re-envisioned as an astronaut who seeks the thrill of discovery, yet finds himself in an unfulfilling job prospecting asteroids for Ferris Galactic. His fortunes change when he finds a powerful green ring and learns that it came from the Green Lantern Corps, a group that was long ago murdered by killing machines called Manhunters. This sets him on a mission to reinstate the Corps, a nearly impossible task for the fearless Jordan.
Ferris Galactic is a great name
Hal Jordan is a smart, capable person with a space and science background who has a lot of untapped potential even before he finds the ring,” Bechko explained. “That means he’s going to approach everything the ring does from the perspective of a scientist, but he’s going to employ it for action and adventure. The result for us as writers is the opportunity to fully embrace the science fiction aspects of the story in a way that would be impossible with a lot of other characters.
Pretty radical take on the Hal Jordan I know

Green_Lantern_secret_identity.jpg

Most of the Earth One books have been luke-warm for me. Batman E1 was pretty good and Wonder Woman E1 was absolutely gorgeous, but each of the Superman E1 books have been duds and Teen Titans was just alright. This one looks cool though so i'll definitely be suckered into picking it up.

Tairu on

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Soooo basically just directly remake the Lensman series, rather than just slightly ripping it off then?

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I didn't know they were still doing Earth One stuff. Like everything DC was doing until last year it was flailing and lacking purpose as it pulled top talent from the main books.

After reading good things about them even as I've mainly been isolating myself to the Super books, I read Dark Days: The Forge and The Casting today, and this is something interesting. It reads as though DC is basing an event on Batman's popularity but the real gems are him shedding light on these other parts of the DCU that I don't know if they've really been covered or established anymore (like The Outsiders, and Mr. Terrific appears as well).

A lot of it feels like trying to genuinely put things back in place or at least set them up to be correctly fixed in the alluded to events of someone (The Watchmen) messing with the DCU. Things hinted at in Rebirth or The Button crossover can be seen as a potential outcome here, the books even refer to a coming Dark Crisis, but what is interesting is basing the setup on Hawkman and Nth metal and him becoming immortal. It doesn't come across like DC is putting him at the front of the DCU to be a "major player" in the future the way Marvel events always attempt to. There is a bit of a revelation with Duke, Batman's current trainee, that feels a bit hammy because it includes a plot point for the story advancement more than being a character thing but I guess it's credit to Snyder for not just dropping a new character out of nowhere like a Layla Miller or that inhuman from Civil War II I've already forgotten the name of (Ozymandias?).

It was a good setup, I'm looking forward to see if the event can carry the Rebirth wave of fun forward (they did a good job fixing Superman so I have hope), and maybe, just maybe, we'll get things closer to pre-2011 than we've been in years.

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Tom King "leaked" this image of all the new Dark Matter characters

DFIqFDtUIAA07Rp.jpg

Very 90's, but i'm into it. Silencer looks a lot worse in color.

Apparently the Outsiders team on the left (with Phantom Girl being the one not in the photo on the faaaaar left) is actually called The Terrifics, by Jeff Lemire and Ivan Reis. That actually makes a lot of sense in using Terrific and building on his old JSA days.

Also the first dude on the right is someone they hadn't announced before, Brimstone. Philip Tan is doing the art for that one.

Jesus, that is so 90's I'm waiting for Rob Liefeld to show up and get the title delayed by six months. They even got the giant hulk-guy that was always standing around in the back of EVERY GODDAMN TEAM in the 90's.

• lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    This isn't a DC/Image 90s throwback crossover? Well I'll be...

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Let's be fair. It's missing the critical 90's component of ninja swords. That tomahawk is entirely too restrained (and only one? not akimbo dual-wielding???) and I'll also have to deduct points for the character with oversized claws being a phantasm. 8.5/10

• lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Yeah but whoever on the right has the akimbo guns, so I think that counts.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    And is also firing them, and they have laser sights.

90s Perfection, right there.

sig.gif
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Y'all are crazy. There's like four unarmed human beings in that shot and they're not even wearing masks or improbable outfits. They're just standing around in matching overalls.

What's xtreme about that

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I was just pointing out that that one specific character was 90s perfection.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Green Lantern is my favorite superhero. Not an individual Lantern (Kyle and Guy are my favorites) but as a concept I've always loved the Lantern Corps. I am willing to give this an open look.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

Y'all are crazy. There's like four unarmed human beings in that shot and they're not even wearing masks or improbable outfits. They're just standing around in matching overalls.

What's xtreme about that

Challengers of the X-Treeeme!

H9f4bVe.png
    Dark Nights Metal #1 was very good, great Capullo art. Classic and solid and almost felt like it was the pre-Nu52 in presentation. A good fake out with an armor clad League fighting for Mongul's entertainment leads into the stuff Casting and Forge hinted at, complete with setting up returning characters and really connecting to Final Crisis (was Red Tornado not shown in nu52 until now?). Plus, the reveal at the end makes absolute sense given the characters history:

Sandman showing up, who is the grandson of Hawkman, it felt a bit like Morrison using him in JLA.

Whatever this is will lead into Doomsday Clock, but as that seems to be Superman focused this is Batman focused to sort of, hopefully, reset things with the whole universe in much cleaner attempt as Infinite Crisis.

And while I'm writing this the past two issues of Superman, 27 & 28, were great, the kind of comics I thought I would never read from the big 2 anymore. Lois & Clark road trip with Jon and show him how great America is, and some of the not good stuff too but it's not beating you over the head with it like Nick Spencer would probably do. Shmaltzy at times, it just totally makes sense for Byrne era Superman to do this and it's done with such care and affection I'm just really glad at the work Tomasi, Gleason & Jurgens have been doing in keeping me interested in comics.

• ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    That sounds awesome. Can't wait to pick up my comics this week!

Batman White Knight #1 was a real good start, and from the beginning feels like it's made to be a new Evergreen Story for the bat-franchise, looking to be this timeless story where Joker is cured of his crazy after Batman beats the shit out of him on the usual chases they do, shocking even Nightwing and Batgirl. And since this time someone filmed Batman beating the shit out of Joker while the GCPD literally looks the other way, you've got Batman being tsk tsked by the media and slowly flipping the narrative on its head. And now realizing Batman never cared about how Joker "helped" Batman be better, and in fact seemed to spur the Bat to facilitate the villains of the city as a form of "my parents are dead" fist catharsis, not-crazy Joker looks to use his now focused intellect to save the city from crime AND Batman.

Borrowing a bit from modern stuff in the news and influenced by the Joker subplot in Dark Knight Returns, and even the movies (they use Jack Napier as Joker's name like in the '89 movie and use a subplot from the Batman & Robin movie to establish Bruce's mindset), you're given a story that just reads like something from 20 years ago in terms of not being decompressed or just some sloppy crappy art that litters the current landscape. Murphy's art even draws Batman in that hulking stature Miller did but while making the style his own.

With this, Mister Miracle being a real nice surprise, and Metal being consistently good, DC's on a genuine upswing that makes me optimistic for Doomsday Clock.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    And while I'm writing this the past two issues of Superman, 27 & 28, were great, the kind of comics I thought I would never read from the big 2 anymore. Lois & Clark road trip with Jon and show him how great America is, and some of the not good stuff too but it's not beating you over the head with it like Nick Spencer would probably do. Shmaltzy at times, it just totally makes sense for Byrne era Superman to do this and it's done with such care and affection I'm just really glad at the work Tomasi, Gleason & Jurgens have been doing in keeping me interested in comics.

It's the Superman road trip JMS failed to give us.

Big news, but sad, confusing, WTF news.

Brian Bendis is now a DC exclusive writer. The guy hasn't been a good writer for years, and all the genuine good he's done (DD, Ult Spidey, half his Avengers work), has been eclipsed by the bad.

Just please, stay the fuck away from Superman and his family.

edited November 2017
    Yeeeeeeaaaahhhh thats... huh.

Maybe this could be a return to form?

Tairu on
    A clean break with the Legion of Superheroes could be fine to test the waters, maybe Teen Titans, but all the big names have solid established teams right now. And as seen by the terrible sales of Marvel and DCYou, no one really wants new characters pushed on them.

I genuinely wonder if he knows any of the DC history

Doomsday Clock #1 was good but a complete setup for the Watchmen world of 1992. I do give it credit for being dense in a way most comics simply aren't, both in words and Gary Frank drawing 9 panel pages constantly. I don't know how far ahead he is to keep this thing on schedule but it was refreshing in that case. I wonder if this will be more like JLA Earth-2 when all is said and done as opposed to completely righting the ship in terms of merging Nu52 with the old post-crisis continuity, but for now I got my money's worth and with the next issue it should really show the DC and Watchmen worlds combining.

And as for Rorschach:
    I like the idea floating around that he's the former psychiatrist for Rorschach in the first series who survived the squid landing and basically had his mind broken and put together thanks to what he recalled from his sessions with Kovacs. If you're bringing the character back it's best to not make it a brand new character unless you're gonna have a running meta narrative about how hamfisted and shitty it often becomes. I was also thinking it could be the kid who was reading the Black Freighter all that time.

In terms of the big events right now Metal has my attention more, but both are leagues better than anything Marvel's done recently.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    A clean break with the Legion of Superheroes could be fine to test the waters, maybe Teen Titans, but all the big names have solid established teams right now. And as seen by the terrible sales of Marvel and DCYou, no one really wants new characters pushed on them.

I genuinely wonder if he knows any of the DC history

Bendis has a, shall we say, controversial history with continuity.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

also, missing feet

• HUGSANDGHUS'HUGSANDGHUS' Registered User new member
    So my only exposure to Plastic Man is Grant Morrison's JLA - what's the deal with the Plastic Man Egg in DK Metal?

They're setting it up like he's been part of an exploration team and is either healing or something like when he was putting himself back together after the Obsidian Age JLA arc, as I don't believe he's shown up in the DCnU since it started.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    00FHT8J.png

This is really bad news:

Bendis is doing a new Man of Steel miniseries in the vein of Byrne's classic, with all-star artists. Ok. Fine. Every big name needs to redo his origin or what have you, despite Jurgens doing a nice two issue story covering it all when the Supermen merged.

BUT, he's also taking over Superman and Action Comics following Action Comics #1000, which is just the worst damn thing to happen. Jurgens, Tomasi & Gleason are the reasons Superman is good again, is fun again, and it's just crappy because I don't trust Bendis at all with his writing these days. It makes me think of when Chuck Austen was writing Action Comics and he ran roughshod over Lois and Lana's characterization.

The only way this could have been worse is if he also took over Super Sons, which at least seems to be surviving with Tomasi & Gleason intact.

DC has been so good recently, I don't want this to be a redux of 2013-2015 or Marvel's 2016.

edited March 2018
    The first collection of Green Lantern Earth One is out, and so far so good. Like SUperman and Batman, they did a few twists with the basic concept such as
    Hal Jordan is an asteroid miner, not a test pilot, though it's implied he used to be one before something happened in his backstory. The Green Lantern Corps was destroyed decades in the past by the Manhunters, with the remaining rings scattering across the galaxy and being found by random people, one of them being the Earth One version of Kilowog. With the Green Lantern Central Battery destroyed, the rings and batteries are much weaker, only able to siphon green light from space itself, with the Manhunters having conquered much of known space. EXCEPT, as it's revealed eventually, the Corps was actually destroyed by atleast one rogue Guardian who wanted to bring down the Corps for being too uncontrollable, creating the Manhunters in the process. Neither the Central Battery nor Oa were ever destroyed, just under the control of the Manhunters, which are both liberated by Hal Jordan in a slave rebellion. Meanwhile, a single rogue Guardian has been observing events in the Antimatter universe, where he's created a Yellow Central Battery and amassed an army of Yellow Lanterns

Sadgasm on
    edited April 2018
    Action Comics #1,000 was a solid anniversary issue. Better than Action #900, but not as good as #800. Jurgens and Tomasi/Gleason get their main stories up front and a nice capper splash page:

qTR3c83.jpg

and a collection of writers and artists did some five page short stories. In this sense it worked, compared to just having artists do a page here and there in the same story. Tom King's story was nice and touching, Paul Levitz and Neal Adam had a surprisingly good short of Superman and Luthor playing chess, and seeing a Simonson/Ordway story was a tug at the glory days of post-crisis Superman. The biggest fault for these stories was the lack of some of the more prominent writers. Joe Kelly was nowhere to be found, nor Mark Schultz, Karl Kesel, Joe Casey, Jeph Loeb or JM DeMatteis or Roger Stern, and of course no Byrne which is just silly.

The whole thing ends with a lead in to Bendis' upcoming run, and it is a Bendis story, which is not something of praise. On top of Bendis speak, you have silly jabs at "why's Superman wearing the underwear again?" as well as what will seem to be another retcon to Krypton just because DC is delusional in terms of Bendis' appeal and skill these days and the man should not have the power to come in and start changing things given his body of work in the past five years, he's currently nowhere near what Byrne was in '86. And to cap off an issue that was uplifting and about doing good, being classy and optimistic, it ends with the new made up villain stabbing Superman in the chest because he needs to kill all Kryptonians. I get that Lee is the artist, but you don't have to make the story match the crap coming out of Image in the early 90's. (the story felt like it was a holdover from Chuck Austen's Action Comics run). And while Lee's art was good in the issue proper, his cover is just fugly compared to Rude's or Jurgens' variant.

Now, the real treat was Superman #45, which not only tops off Tomasi and Gleason's fantastic run, but also feels a bit personal with them being taken off the book for Bendis. There's quite a few moments where you can tell Jon is speaking for the two and not believing change is a good thing all the time. And then Lois' moment of acceptance, this is what comics should be bringing more often to the table.

U1VR0ON.jpg

fSkqYup.jpg

It's a bittersweet time in Superman's comic life.

TexiKen on