As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Voting Day

-Tal-Tal Registered User regular
Today America votes

PNk1Ml4.png

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    -Tal wrote: »
    Today America votes

In theory.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Yeah, there's not much going on at high levels of government today. Governor's races in New Jersey and Virginia, some state Congress elections, mayor of NYC.

Edit: There are probably a lot of local elections/ballot measures being decided today and y'all should def vote in those.

jgeis on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Is that dog up for mayoral reelection? That's important.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Nothing to vote for here in Oregon, unfortunately.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2017
    My boss's husband is running for Cambridge city council on a social justice and environmentalist platform. Hope he gets in!

tynic on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Shit that's right I've gotta be sure to get back before my polling site closes, had stuff to do in the morning so I couldn't vote on the way in. Also gotta figure out which is my polling site since I just moved.

My state has a whole argument right now over amending the state constitution, which is one of those only once in 20 years deals. All this is is a vote over whether or not to do it, and all the actual amendments will be put up by delegates and voted on separately, but basically every organized political group in the state is afraid of losing whatever important stuff they've currently got guaranteed so they're against it. I'm voting no but I'm very curious to see what happens if it does end up passing.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    I mailed my ballot in a week ago. It was pretty much all bond issues for the city.

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Shit that's right I've gotta be sure to get back before my polling site closes, had stuff to do in the morning so I couldn't vote on the way in. Also gotta figure out which is my polling site since I just moved.

My state has a whole argument right now over amending the state constitution, which is one of those only once in 20 years deals. All this is is a vote over whether or not to do it, and all the actual amendments will be put up by delegates and voted on separately, but basically every organized political group in the state is afraid of losing whatever important stuff they've currently got guaranteed so they're against it. I'm voting no but I'm very curious to see what happens if it does end up passing.

We'd see majority R delegation run wild. It would be harrowing.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Wait, the NYC mayor is up for election AGAIN? Didn't DeBlasio only get in like two years ago?

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Wait, the NYC mayor is up for election AGAIN? Didn't DeBlasio only get in like two years ago?

Wikipedia tells me he was elected in 2013.

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Oh boy, Utah elections. Will the Republicans make a clean sweep of literally every position available outside of Salt Lake City, or will a Republican who lost their primary and had to run with the Freedom-Is-Great-Y'all Party manage a stunning upset to become the Beaver County Dog Catcher?

I'll go vote after work anyway, because I only feel entitled to whine as much as I do if I lodge my protest through formal channels first. But the status quo is probably more unshakable here than anywhere else in the damn country.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    Voted today.

Here in Pennsylvania we have a whole bunch of statewide judicial races. I personally find it really dumb that we elect judges here, and doubly dumb that these are partisan elections where the candidates' party affiliations are front and center, but the Democratic slate is running hard against Trump in their ads so, whatever. They got my vote.

The big judicial election we have today is for a single seat on the state supreme court. Republican Sallie Mundy, currently serving as an interim justice, is defending her seat against Democrat Dwayne Woodruff. Mundy has run ads with her firing a bunch of guns and saying she'll protect the second amendment, and she has said Roe v. Wade was "incorrectly decided," which means Woodruff got my vote.

In Philadelphia, our most high profile race is for district attorney. There, we have Democrat Larry Krasner, a former public defender who has done pro bono work for BLM and Occupy protesters, and who successfully campaigned as the "anti-establishment" candidate in the primary while promising to curb police abuse, against Republican Beth Grossman, a prosecutor who supports civil asset forfeiture and has the endorsement of the city's largest police union.

I would have voted for Krasner twice if I could.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Off to go check all the boxes that don't have an R beside em *sad party blower noise*

X22wmuF.jpg
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Electing judges seems about as sensible as electing doctors to me, which is to say, completely nonsensical

Please let somebody who knows what the law is pick that guy, I am incredibly unqualified to do so

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    wait, what are we voting on?
    Cello wrote: »
    Electing judges seems about as sensible as electing doctors to me, which is to say, completely nonsensical

Please let somebody who knows what the law is pick that guy, I am incredibly unqualified to do so

You just pick the one who claims to be "tough on crime" right? It's like picking a household cleaning spray.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I think all that was up in my district was a water reserve manager or whatever.

At this point, just send me a CV please. I'd like to know if you graduated college or not

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    A couple years ago I remember seeing a bunch of judicial campaign ads on TV where the candidates were basically trying to one-up each other regarding who handed out the longest prison sentences and it was in that moment that I knew democracy had failed.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I am juuuust across the street from being able to vote for mayor. I still get to vote for a sales tax increase to fix roads and expand public transit though!

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

the alternative is that the governor nominates them, and that tends to not go great either

theres no governing board that has the means to effectively do it, and no real universal qualifications in place because it can vary by city

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    A couple years ago I remember seeing a bunch of judicial campaign ads on TV where the candidates were basically trying to one-up each other regarding who handed out the longest prison sentences and it was in that moment that I knew democracy had failed.

"I once gave a guy the death penalty just for looking at me sideways"

Oh I know who I'm voting for!

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    basically kill the poor, vote for me

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Voted today.

Here in Pennsylvania we have a whole bunch of statewide judicial races. I personally find it really dumb that we elect judges here, and doubly dumb that these are partisan elections where the candidates' party affiliations are front and center, but the Democratic slate is running hard against Trump in their ads so, whatever. They got my vote.

The big judicial election we have today is for a single seat on the state supreme court. Republican Sallie Mundy, currently serving as an interim justice, is defending her seat against Democrat Dwayne Woodruff. Mundy has run ads with her firing a bunch of guns and saying she'll protect the second amendment, and she has said Roe v. Wade was "incorrectly decided," which means Woodruff got my vote.

In Philadelphia, our most high profile race is for district attorney. There, we have Democrat Larry Krasner, a former public defender who has done pro bono work for BLM and Occupy protesters, and who successfully campaigned as the "anti-establishment" candidate in the primary while promising to curb police abuse, against Republican Beth Grossman, a prosecutor who supports civil asset forfeiture and has the endorsement of the city's largest police union.

I would have voted for Krasner twice if I could.

Well I know who my wife's family in Central PA voted for

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    sadly in pa a lot of the judge races are decided by the lottery of where you are on the ballot.

people have literally no idea who to vote for so they vote for the first 3 out of 5. voting for judges is bad.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    As far as I can tell from vote.org there's nothing in my area today.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Mayor and city council elections here. There are eight people running for mayor (prior mayor who'd been there forever is quitting to run for governor) so that'll probably go to a runoff. For city council, they all seem pretty decent choices except for one very crazy and stupid lady who always runs. I've been encouraging people to vote specifically to give votes to the other people running and not the lunatic. I'm fine with either of the other candidates because both of them support causes that I do.

But I'm not voting today. Because I already got my early vote on last week.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Today America votes

"I voted a week ago" - Wa State Ozzy.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    I voted for big hams and nice gams

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I will absolutely agree that voting for judges is bad. But I am terrified of appointing them as well. I don't know that you'd get LESS gross people that way. Maybe? I mean I'd hope? But, as someone who has always lived in deeply red states.....I'd not like my odds.
    Judges are that weird position of need to be qualified, but not voted for, but often need to be a check on the exact people who would otherwise appoint them.
    Triple edit cause my dander is up. And I think fixing judges being "tough on crime" is a lot more about the laws those judges are asked to interpret (which generally suck, and have often had bullshit like more time for crack than straight cocaine). Basically the current punitive (and slave labor) focus vs rehabilitative focus. In a lot of places there isn't a lot a compassionate judge can even do without starting to run up hard against the letter and spirit of the law.
    So ideally we have judges meeting out fair and rehabilitative justice, which takes legislation first, and then the judges are more free to be a check on the other powers. But lol america.

QuantumTurk on
    A thing that really gets me about elections for judges is that it creates a situation where the judge has to worry about being re-elected (or retained), which can then affect their decisions on the bench. For me, it's up there with private prisons in terms of "this is so obviously bad and horrifyingly susceptible to injustice and conflicts of interest."

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    A thing that really gets me about elections for judges is that it creates a situation where the judge has to worry about being re-elected (or retained), which can then affect their decisions on the bench. For me, it's up there with private prisons in terms of "this is so obviously bad and horrifyingly susceptible to injustice and conflicts of interest."

It also seems to encourage a ton more partisanship in your approach, rather than interpreting the rule of law based on experience and education, because that's how you get and keep your job

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The UK has an independent Judicial Appointments committee. Seems like the US is generally allergic to non-partisan bodies with executive power, though.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    tynic wrote: »
    The UK has an independent Judicial Appointments committee. Seems like the US is generally allergic to non-partisan bodies with executive power, though.

The US is allergic to anything smart.

edited November 2017
    I feel like the closest thing we have to that are the state bar associations, whose recommendations on judicial candidates are pretty much all the average person has to go on, aside from party affiliation, when it comes to these elections.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    This will always be my favorite '90s mtv voting psa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbytip2kFLo

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Make sure to not cock it up again this time, America

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    There's just a mayoral runoff race today in my city, between an independent and the Democrat. The funny thing is, the Democratic candidate is actually endorsed by the County GOP head as well and has campaigned for GOP candidates in the past. The Democratic Party has also endorsed the incumbent independent Mayor in the past. Pretty much the Democratic Party of NC sold out the actually progressive candidate because she refuses to register Democrat.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    This will always be my favorite '90s mtv voting psa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbytip2kFLo

please bring back the 90's TIA

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I'm voting today even though I don't actually know who is running in any of the races which isn't good