As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] #12: OWL Stage 3 Returns, Retribution Soon

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Wasn’t Hammond the evil gorilla that killed everyone on the moon? Could make him into the talon tank if he doesn’t end up a Winston reskin .

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    PTR patch is live apparently

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Wasn’t Hammond the evil gorilla that killed everyone on the moon? Could make him into the talon tank if he doesn’t end up a Winston reskin .

Hammond isn't currently explicitly stated to be anything other than "also missing" like Winston - it was all of the non-Winston monkeys in general that revolted because they were sick of the experiments. Also possibly because a few of them were wildly mentally unstable because of the experiments. You know genetically messing with apes has no drawbacks and all

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My placement matches are not going well. I had a completely silent team, and I normally don't have that on Ranked.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Speaking of character concepts, apparently Zarya was very different early on.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/overwatch/overwatch-archives-unused-heroes

One concept had her riding a bear and dual-wielding AKs, and her ult was for the bear to also pull out AKs. While Zarya is great as is... this would have been amazing!

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf

How do you make an evil gorilla that doesn't look like Winston or like Gorilla Grodd, Monsieur Mallah basically any of the DC apes

Iblis wrote: »

One concept had her riding a bear and dual-wielding AKs, and her ult was for the bear to also pull out AKs. While Zarya is great as is... this would have been amazing!
    Their pitch meeting with Activision was especially nerve-wracking, since just six weeks earlier they’d canceled the biggest project in company history, and they were pitching a shooter to a company that was already producing the most popular shooter series in the world. But one piece of art was what it took to convince CEO Bobby Kotick, who proclaimed Overwatch would be the start of “an amazing universe.”

I thought Blizzard swore up and down that Activision's role in their operations isn't supposed to be all that significant that this would be a concern...

1818.png

1818.png

1818.png

Give it a bunch of cybernetic enhancements? I dunno that could be the way talon bought his loyalty and you could also bring in Moira to connect her to another character via mad scientist angle. So essentially make him mecha King Kong .

Brainleech wrote: »

How do you make an evil gorilla that doesn't look like Winston or like Gorilla Grodd, Monsieur Mallah basically any of the DC apes

I forget where I read this but I believe Hammond is a Chimp?

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Chimpanzee sniper.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Here's what I'd do with Scatter Arrow:

- Getting hit by a Scatter Arrow turns you into a wall for the purposes of resolving Scatter Arrow collisions for 0.1-0.25 seconds. Just enough to save you if you are getting hit by pretty much all the arrows at the same time.
    - Scatter Arrows have a progressively-strengthening homing effect per bounce. Meaning that they figure out which viable target (if any) they are most facing after the bounce, and rotate their trajectory to exactly bodyshot that target. The degree to which they are allowed to rotate their heading to do so increases with each bounce.
    - If necessary, tune the damage per arrow down to accommodate the fact that much more of the arrows will be hitting.

There are two primary, intended purposes of Scatter Arrow, as I see it. Like Widowmaker's Venom Mine, it gives the otherwise single-target Hanzo a means of contributing damage to a group fight, and in combination with the Sonic Arrow (so you know where to throw it), it is meant to create paranoia about staying in cover. It is not intended to be an instant-death attack; that's reserved for proper headshots, though the Scatter Arrow may rightly be used as a single-move kill* in the appropriate situation.

By adding the delay between permitted impacts, you remove the chance of an instant kill by Scatter Arrow and allow characters with defensive moves like Orisa's Fortify or Mei's Ice Block to save themselves. By adding the homing effect, you take some degree of randomness out of whether or not the arrows will have any effect and make them more viable on the open plain to attack several enemies.

* I draw a distinction between a single move that can kill an enemy in one use, like Pharah's Barrage or other Ultimates, and a move whose single parcel of damage kills the enemy as it arrives, like Widowmaker's Headshot and the current Scatter Arrow delivered at the feet.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    Kana wrote: »
    PTR patch is live apparently

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/21179257

Yeah Moira is on PTR already.

Chimpanzee sniper.

Yes ! So now all my teams can consist of Hanzo / widow / Hammond while the other three of us try to cover every role we actually need .

Donnicton wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

I forget where I read this but I believe Hammond is a Chimp?

Well I thought making a gorilla with cybernetics would be different and then I mentally fell down the world I barely know anything about and vague ideas the DC universe!
    A chimp with cybernetics would make more sense than an ape but how would he be so it doesn't overlap or steal from the other tanks

edited November 2017
    So randomly checking shit in the PTR as I play Moira

Her damage beam range is up to 20 meters, pretty decent range. Heal spray seems to be a bit more than 10 meters? Ult is long, like 30ish meters?

Her beam definitely doesn't work like Sym's beam though, it's basically just a large hitbox. If your cursor gets just a bit off the target you stop hitting them. The ult has a similar hit radius, it's not like a huge AoE, you need to get folks lined up fairly close. Any DPS who gets up close range could easily burst her down before they're ever particularly threatened by her beam DPS. But on the other hand she can flash away and put out very dependable damage at range, so it seems like Moira's job is to keep floating around on the edge of fights. She seems like she'll need a very unique playstyle compared to the other healers.

You can quickly splash an ally with her heal beam to just apply the residual healing. It looks the residual healing over time effect does slightly more than 50 healing over 4 seconds?

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    So randomly checking shit in the PTR as I play Moira

Her damage beam range is up to 20 meters, pretty decent range. Heal spray seems to be a bit more than 10 meters? Ult is long, like 30ish meters?

Her beam definitely doesn't work like Sym's beam though, it's basically just a large hitbox. If your cursor gets just a bit off the target you stop hitting them. The ult has a similar hit radius, it's not like a huge AoE, you need to get folks lined up fairly close. Any DPS who gets up close range could easily burst her down before they're ever particularly threatened by her beam DPS. But on the other hand she can flash away and put out very dependable damage at range, so it seems like Moira's job is to keep floating around on the edge of fights. She seems like she'll need a very unique playstyle compared to the other healers.

You can quickly splash an ally with her heal beam to just apply the residual healing. It looks the residual healing over time effect does slightly more than 50 healing over 4 seconds?

Is her heal ball doing anything for you? I think it might be broken - I launch it and it doesn't do anything, even if it passes right through my target.

It looks like Moira's healing currently isn't being stopped by Ana's grenade on PTR, which is definitely a pretty big issue.

So after playing Moira for an hour or so, a couple observations:

* She definitely isn't a solo healer, but she does have a lot of potential healing output. It makes sense that her damage beam doesn't need that much aiming, because she really has to balance her orb cooldowns, her positioning, and her healing supply all at the same time. Her weakness is that her heals are pretty short range and she needs to hold onto her shift for escapes, which leaves her unable to do much to help any allies that are more than 20ish meters away.
    * As such, she doesn't do great healing the dive tanks. They're just too mobile, and if she moves in with them she tends to be left high and dry when they reposition.
    * What she does seem really good at is healing Reinhardt and aggressive characters who like to push straight into the enemy like Reaper or Roadhog. Don't spread out, don't flank, just stay together and bowl over the enemy defenses while Moira AoE heals the whole frontline.
    * Her ult is GREAT at this kind of thing. It does decent healing but fairly meh damage (at least for an ultimate), but combine the two in a team fight and it can make it super easy for a beefy front line to push in hard. Your team gets heals, their team is all taking damage, it's a tremendous amount of pressure. That being said if you try to go in like a DPS and kill the enemy team with just your ult they'll just laugh at you and shoot you in the face.
    * Even though she loves healing big beefy brawlers, she does poorly against teams that stay behind shields herself. Shields block her beam, which will eventually dry up her healing supply and her ult gain. Also pretty much all of her abilities are low damage with multiple ticks per second, which means she does fuck-all against armor.
    * Her orbs are kind of weird. Fire it straight into the middle of the enemy team and it'll just spread its damage out, completely non-threatening, and the enemy Lucio will thank you for the free ult charge. On the other hand if an enemy is running away the orb is a great pursuit tool, against one or two squishies it can finish them off quite quickly.
    * Moira + Mercy results in a whole lot of healing output, but not really a ton of synergy, and they're both pretty vulnerable to getting picked off. Moira feels like she combos better with basically any of the other healers - Lucio can speed boost her around and heal up the small injuries that she doesn't want to waste resources on, Zen can orb distant flankers and discord her beam targets to increase her resource gain and self-heal, and Ana's grenade works great with Moira's AoE's.
    * She's most definitely not some sort of hybrid DPS. She can get a lot of elim assists but virtually any DPS can murderize her if they get in range. Moira mostly wants to stay at the max range of her beam against enemies and just slowly work them down, or even better just have her big angry tanks handle it for her. She's definitely a healer first and foremost.

So yeah, she's interesting, she feels quite unique compared to any of the other healers. I think it'll take quite a while for folks to get good at her.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    are you able to see her variant skins in PTR?

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Yessir. And voice lines and emotes and sprays and victory poses and gold weapon.

TexiKen wrote: »

Yeah. Two glam style skins, and two that are kinda like Symmetra's Oasis-style skin. They're all kind of samey, really.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »

Their pitch meeting with Activision was especially nerve-wracking, since just six weeks earlier they’d canceled the biggest project in company history, and they were pitching a shooter to a company that was already producing the most popular shooter series in the world. But one piece of art was what it took to convince CEO Bobby Kotick, who proclaimed Overwatch would be the start of “an amazing universe.”

I thought Blizzard swore up and down that Activision's role in their operations isn't supposed to be all that significant that this would be a concern...

1818.png

1818.png

1818.png

When you're having a discussion like "hey this team just botched a years-long MMO project which had to be scrapped entirely, but we'd like to keep them together working on another new IP" then yeah your parent company is going to be involved in that decision.

edited November 2017
    So what with Moira's Naruto-ish arms straight back running, and that she shoots a frickin' kamehameha beam, the internet soon noticed that she seems like sort of a weeb.

Now her sprays are on PTR and uh
    Evangelion
    ecUs2CJ.jpg
    Akira
    N7DKzah.jpg

And another is of her shooting her ult, and the spray is titled "Power Level"

Yeup, she's an Irish scientist/weeb.

Kana on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Moira is the Thin White Duchess and I am so ready

oh hah, another Moira joke:
    XTD6WVN.jpg
    Captain-Picard-Facepalm.jpg

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Only now is Overwatch finally memes

edited November 2017
    It's criminal that there's no "Moira in a white suit" skin

Kana on
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Aaaah, Mystery Heroes. It's been far too long.

https://youtu.be/XttkiAUagKc

Also, they broke the spawn playthings again. Unacceptable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W1NmZKUTNs

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Today in stupid comp tricks:

2 tank 2 healer 2 sniper comp on attack castle map.

"Let's abandon the Voskaya choke and defend around the health packs"

Surprisingly, one of those worked.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Apparently the momentum on Moira's Fade is pretty funky, and interacts with jumping weirdly. Like, if you're standing on an object, Fade, and try to jump to a higher platform, you won't make it. But if you're standing on the ground next to the object, Fade, jump through the corner of the object, you get sort of 'ejected' vertically and can go way higher than you should be able to.

Example:
    https://gfycat.com/WhirlwindWhirlwindBarnacle
    https://gfycat.com/DirtyAptDipper

It's probably the same kind of physics fuck-uppery that Doomfist's slam has with railings/ledges where he hangs slightly and then gets ejected for extra EXTRA damage as if he was way up high... only going upward instead of downward. So I'm not sure it'll be fixed. Or perhaps it's internally more like the old Genji super jump thing and it will be. It certainly seems unintentional.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So what with Moira's Naruto-ish arms straight back running, and that she shoots a frickin' kamehameha beam, the internet soon noticed that she seems like sort of a weeb.

Now her sprays are on PTR and uh
    Evangelion
    ecUs2CJ.jpg
    Akira
    N7DKzah.jpg

And another is of her shooting her ult, and the spray is titled "Power Level"

Yeup, she's an Irish scientist/weeb.

She only joined Blackwatch because they had a Ninja.

• TheDrifterTheDrifter Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Today in stupid comp tricks:

2 tank 2 healer 2 sniper comp on attack castle map.

"Let's abandon the Voskaya choke and defend around the health packs"

Surprisingly, one of those worked.

The 2 snipers might work. If they are solid. And the enemy comp doesnt straight stomp it with mismatch.

I dont get why you would give up the choke freely, but you usually end up defending the point directly anyway, and games can be won there. Thats not too crazy, but a bit silly.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    at pro level play, teams will actually defend volskaya from the high ground, not the choke

dunno how successful it was in phoenix's case

uc3ufTB.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    at pro level play, teams will actually defend volskaya from the high ground, not the choke

dunno how successful it was in phoenix's case

"Not". Though partially because they had a comedically good Genji my team had no answer for. Was running Sym for that section and he was one of the genjis who realize that's a bad matchup if dash isn't up and kept away from me.

• IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    https://gfycat.com/FearfulLastErmine

Apparently this was also a change added to the PTR servers. Which is a good change. I was always a bit annoyed that I couldn't break those.

Hoo boy does Moira have problems dealing with Tracers.

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I finally broke to my brother's pressure and started my placements last night.

Hollywood. Run Tracer on attack, go in, die instantly. Come back, go on a killstreak for the entire rest of the round, we run the payload all the way home. Go Mercy on defense with a Sym and Torb, die once but Sym had her Tele up and they never take the point - 3 and 0, I get a killstreak card for the Tracer round. It was spectacular.

Game 2 was a close loss on Numbani (4.69 meters from victory) - we had terribad comps on attack and defense - but that Tracer killstreak, man. Beautiful.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Hoo boy does Moira have problems dealing with Tracers.

Good cause i love me some Tracing.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    so this season is just as bad as last season. everyone plays DPS shittily at low tiers and no one else tanks or heals. good job blizz! what is the reason for seasons again?