As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 5E] Xanathar's Guide to Striking a Nerve

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    So wait, the fighter threw you over the forcefield gate and you just opened the latch from the other side? That's hilarious.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So wait, the fighter threw you over the forcefield gate and you just opened the latch from the other side? That's hilarious.

It was this step pyramid with a series of simple if obtuse puzzles for us to solve; the first tier had a bunch of thorns that would do damage when we tried to pass through them, but if we were carrying an orchid they would seperate. The second tier had the steps turning to gravel and any attempt to climb them without a red parrot feather would simply fail.

Thing is, we didn't know what the solution to each of these problems was until after we were shown them by the fairy spirit thing, so I approached them from the perspective of a seasoned player: when you are presented with an obstacle that is obstucting the party that you can't remove with brute force, find a way to secure a bypass for the party using the equipment that is available (which in this case was the fighter doing a fastball special with my character and a rope)

Also, he didn't throw me over it; that nat 20 caused me to go through it.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Encounter report:

Our party finally got around to lockpicking a small chest we'd carried out several sessions back; after dealing with the physical lock, there was then a magical runelock inside. For which the DM brought out a physical object and said "when you guys can disassemble that into its component pieces, the lock will open." So we passed it around the table and people fidgeted with the object while we kept going, and about ten minutes later someone popped it open.

After we opened the chest, the DM passed each of the six players a piece of paper and said "write down a general description of a minor magic item you'd like to have." After collecting the slips, the DM said "there's an item in the chest trying to determine its form. (Rolls die) Nick, is the item (deals a slip of paper) bracers of defense or (deals another slip) magical chainmail?" Nick decided that the item should be the bracers of defense, which my sorcerer was only too happy to grab. Unfortunately, as I donned my new item, the bard (who had submitted the request for chainmail) acquired a permanent -1 AC penalty! There were two more similar items in the chest: one was a choice between a headband of wisdom and a magical shield. The player who chose the form of that item selected the headband, which the cleric accepted, only for the fighter to receive a -1 AC penalty. The last item was between enchanted plate for the paladin or a cloak of invisibility for the rogue. I tried to talk them into taking one or the other, but the two of them agreed that neither wanted a new item at the cost of possibly giving another character an AC penalty, so they let the third item dissolve into the aether rather than claiming it.

I'm sure we'll eventually find a means of removing the penalties (the DM's not a dick), but in the meantime it'll be interesting. We already tried Remove Curse, and that didn't help.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I can't help but feel that being able to fly while shooting lasers at level five is slightly OP.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    My DM has merchants with magical items, but they are ridiculous. He had one merchant excitedly trying to sell us a wooden box that you could open and it would smell of one thing, but if you opened it again, it would smell differently.

I love getting treasure like that, actually.

For Christmas last year, I had the party meet a toymaker, and once they saved his life and rid the town of the evil entity that was harassing them, he gave them all little toys that did some fun minor effects (mostly, they mimicked a single spell, but with some lore/fluff that made them fun). One character, for instance, got a mechanical spider that crawls all over his head. The spider has darkvision, so it whispers in his ears what there is to see, which constantly creeps him out.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I think I have a problem, whenever we get a chance to dnd it up (once every 6 weeks) I end up frustrated by the amount of OOC banter and tardiness of players. We can easily spend 30 minutes on a single wolf. Generally I like it that everyone feels so at ease at the table and we have fun anecdotes to share, but I feel like I am not playing the game as much as we are talking about it.

I am that guy who claps in his hands and calls out players by their real names to get them to take their turn, but I hate breaking up conversations and I have to stop myself from scolding other players for hemming and hawwing over how to shoot an arrow at a rat. I do not want to be that guy, but I constantly feel impatient at the table. I also feel guilty whenever I have something OOC to say, because I think it is obvious that I am at the table for dnd and shouldnt be a hypocrit about it.

How do I either turn my dnd group towards a more productive path, or how do I get over myself here?

As an example: when one character wanted to cast Magic Missile another player shared an anecdote about how she once casted that spell while wrapped in a magic carpet. Which distracted the rest of the table for a few minutes and after that the caster had to look up again how many dice he needed to roll. Gaaahh

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    It won’t solve it completely but I’d give a slight “readiness” bonus to my players to encourage them to pay attention and keep the game moving. Just an extra +2 to their attacks when we were playing 4e. Maybe do that and add they have to do it in X amount of time?

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    My DM has merchants with magical items, but they are ridiculous. He had one merchant excitedly trying to sell us a wooden box that you could open and it would smell of one thing, but if you opened it again, it would smell differently.

(me too) It's funnier when you can solve a problem using 'flavor' items and the DM never thought of it. Bonus points for 'god damn smelly ass box ruining my encounter'.

Magic unending permanent chalk as a low level super item is all fun and games until your players paint a whole town with 1 week uneraseable chalk dicks. (protip, have this be a quest so it wears the joke out before they get the chalk. they manage to stop young vandals and get something neat from them). But then it gets murky when they grind up the endless chalk to throw in a room to see all the invisible enemies.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

(me too) It's funnier when you can solve a problem using 'flavor' items and the DM never thought of it. Bonus points for 'god damn smelly ass box ruining my encounter'.

Magic unending permanent chalk as a low level super item is all fun and games until your players paint a whole town with 1 week uneraseable chalk dicks. (protip, have this be a quest so it wears the joke out before they get the chalk. they manage to stop young vandals and get something neat from them). But then it gets murky when they grind up the endless chalk to throw in a room to see all the invisible enemies.

sounds like they are covered in the unerasable endless chalk too.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

sounds like they are covered in the unerasable endless chalk too.

That's gotta be hell on your lungs if you breathe that shit, too

• Options
    well, it'd be like black lung, or silicosis. One or two days wont kill you, but you are on the road to ruining your lungs if you do it for a month+
    I wouldn't recommend looking at pictures of that stuff. its downright nasty and a helluva hard way to die.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    speaking of hard ways to die, we nearly died fighting that rat ogre in the -not warhammer- dnd game we've been playing...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    made a fun character yesterday using some unearthed arcana rules.

Specifically the Phoenix Sorcery sorcerous origin.

Variant human, veteran mercenary,
    swashbuckler 3, Phoenix sorcery 3, fighter 2

It's probably not the strongest combo ever, but it's a guy based around using green flame blade and two weapon fighting as frequently as possible (quicken spell metamagic ,action surge, haste eventually). Has nothing but fire cantrips (GFB, fire bolt, create bonfire, control flames), and a split between fire spells and movement spells (burning hands, jump, scorching ray, misty step).

edit: So going full bore on this guy (mantle running, green flame blade, quickened green flame blade, action surge green flame blade) this guy is swinging out 3d4+2d6+6d8+60 damage split unequally between 2 to 6 targets. That seems petty nuts. You can essentially only pull that once per day though.

Sleep on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Oh man our dm handed out the bag of phat loot during last night's game. Mostly armor because our party is particularly squishy, but my minotaur ended up with a belt of hill giant strength. Hello strength of 21.

Also we thought of a great trap. Have whatever the largest bag of holding is set up on a pedestal, when the players retrieve it they find they can't put anything in it. When they turn it inside out to empty it they find that it's full of zombie bears.

This or it's full of water and rapidly floods whatever room its in.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

It's probably not the strongest combo ever, but it's a guy based around using green flame blade and two weapon fighting as frequently as possible (quicken spell metamagic ,action surge, haste eventually). Has nothing but fire cantrips (GFB, fire bolt, create bonfire, control flames), and a split between fire spells and movement spells (burning hands, jump, scorching ray, misty step).

edit: So going full bore on this guy (mantle running, green flame blade, quickened green flame blade, action surge green flame blade) this guy is swinging out 3d4+2d6+6d8+60 damage split unequally between 2 to 6 targets. That seems petty nuts. You can essentially only pull that once per day though.

Well now that you've gone mechanically full anime you need to give doing that all at once a cool name.

• Options
    Xagar wrote: »

Well now that you've gone mechanically full anime you need to give doing that all at once a cool name.

Phoenix talon storm?

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Emerald Flame Mantis

• Options
    Nealneal wrote: »
    Emerald Flame Mantis

Nah specifically flavored for this guy as red flames. The character is based on my coffee order, the red eye, he's like super red maged out for what he looks like.

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Ruby Flame Mantis

:P

• Options
    Burn...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Nonono, wait wait, I got one better

https://youtu.be/KXOCzB35kFY

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    That's too far, i got no energy sword.

Also that's one big attack, I'm about a bunch of attacks

Sleep on
  • Options
    Lets be real here, green flame blade is an energy sword stand in, even if you gotta have a metal one to use the green one.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Lets be real here, green flame blade is an energy sword stand in, even if you gotta have a metal one to use the green one.

I always see it as the flaming sword attack, one that mainly tosses fire at another opponent as you swing.

Heck on this guy it is flaming daggers (maybe dagger short sword combo)

• Options
    also the beauty of GFB is you can also use it with a hammer

• Options
    also i took a flip through yawning portal yesterday at the book store. It looks pretty dope.

• Options
    okay so this isn't necessarily 5e related, except for the fact that i want to home brew something for it. There was this monster in 3.5e, it was a construct, it was a super nimble fighter with dual rapiers that crit like a truck, it was like a humanoid robot ran on water elementals. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called but I want to update them and use em.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    okay so this isn't necessarily 5e related, except for the fact that i want to home brew something for it. There was this monster in 3.5e, it was a construct, it was a super nimble fighter with dual rapiers that crit like a truck, it was like a humanoid robot ran on water elementals. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called but I want to update them and use em.

This isn't really ringing any bells, especially not the "run by water elementals" bit.

This list of all the constructs might be helpful though:
    http://chet.kindredcircle.org/pdf/DnD3.5Index-Monsters-byCR.pdf

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular

Nimblewright, from Monster Manual 2

• Options

This isn't really ringing any bells, especially not the "run by water elementals" bit.

This list of all the constructs might be helpful though:
    http://chet.kindredcircle.org/pdf/DnD3.5Index-Monsters-byCR.pdf
    iguanacus wrote: »

Nimblewright, from Monster Manual 2

Yep thanks yall

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    it was a super nimble fighter with dual rapiers that crit like a truck,

Wow; 12-20 crit range! You're not kidding.

Is it just Champions in 5e that get the expanded crit range or does it crop up anywhere else?

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    it was a super nimble fighter with dual rapiers that crit like a truck,

Wow; 12-20 crit range! You're not kidding.

Is it just Champions in 5e that get the expanded crit range or does it crop up anywhere else?

Singular to champs as far as I know.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Think I've seen it somewhere else, either a magic item or a monster

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    I'm trying to remember what else they had. I also don't know if I want to actually fuck with crit chance on them. I may just have them deal increased damage all the time with some means by which to regularly gain advantage or something.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I was reading a Q&A on an advanced Xanthar copy and two things caught my eye:

1.) Instead of Shadow Dog Hexblades can turn a killed humanoid into a Specter that follows their commands. That is super boss.

2.) Identifying a spell takes your reaction, so the utility is somewhat niche (continuous spells without immediately obvious effects).

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    (2) makes sense thematically, though. You need to take a moment to recognize whatever partical effects are lighting up the room.

• Options
    The counterspell spell takes your reaction, though. So I guess you have to counterspell without knowing exactly what the badguys are casting, and just hope that they're casting something it's worth burning your spell slot on?

• Options
    Fry wrote: »
    The counterspell spell takes your reaction, though. So I guess you have to counterspell without knowing exactly what the badguys are casting, and just hope that they're casting something it's worth burning your spell slot on?

That's what my casters do. Very rarely is the enemy caster wasting their turn on a useless spell

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    You could have one person use a reaction to name the spell, call it out as a free action, and have another person use the counterspell right?

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Terrendos wrote: »
    You could have one person use a reaction to name the spell, call it out as a free action, and have another person use the counterspell right?

Can you use a free action when it's not your turn? I don't have the book handy.

This discussion has been closed.