As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Unplugged 2017 - what we know so far

13»

• PRD0PRD0 Registered User new member
    Not sure if this is a good place for my question, but I didn't want a whole thread for something hopefully easily answered.

Can anyone clarify how event signups work? We all stand in line and wait, but it's first come first served in each separate zone? Can a friend sign me up, if for example I wait in the tabletop line and he is in the rpg one? Otherwise, I don't see how I can get into both types of events on the same day, surely spots will be full by the time I get out of one line and into another, at the back. And I am interested in at least three types of events each day.

Am I missing something? It just seems like I will be spending a lot of time in line only to find events full. Very difficult to schedule my weekend. Any insight appreciated. Thanks.

• PRD0PRD0 Registered User new member
    Sorry for double post, but didn't find an edit option.

I got the answer elsewhere (can sign up 4 people per event, with various controls to avoid abuse). Please disregard the above.

Thanks. Really looking forward to this.

• odinfellhammerodinfellhammer Registered User new member
    How is the Electronic Swag going to work?

• Twilight2kTwilight2k Registered User new member
    Why are event signups on day of? Why not handle them like every other sizable tabletop gaming con and do pre-registration for events? The reason everyone else uses pre-registration is that it works.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    They've said that it's been day of at other PAX. If they see an issue this year then can work to implement it next year, but making it day of allows people to pick one and gives everyone a chance to do something rather than having all the registration full before you even see what's available.

It's the first year, and I kinda like it this way. We'll see if it's good or not.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    I know you're just telling them what has been officially stated in the past, but...
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    it's been day of at other PAX

Literally the worst reason to do something.
    making it day of allows people to pick one and gives everyone a chance to do something rather than having all the registration full before you even see what's available.

Which is a nice idea in theory, but in practice, isn't what happens. At East, I would try rushing straight to an event when the doors open to sign up and would be told it's already full, rush to another and of course that's already full, too, and know that literally everything I was hoping to do was already full.

This system isn't "more fair" and doesn't give "more people" a chance at anything. All it does is shift the advantage from people who are willing to plan ahead of time and sign up for things when the schedule comes out to the people who have press badges so they get in early or know someone who can put their name on the right lists, which is incredibly frustrating.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2017
    I don't think this is the time or place to be arguing about how it should be done. There will be plenty of opportunities to state one's case in the post-pax survey and in our feedback thread here after the show. It's not going to be pre-registration for this pax unplugged. As to the why, I'm not sure we're going to get a concrete answer on that. We can certainly speculate as to the reason but it's just conjecture without an official statement.

On the other hand, there have been attendee-run things popping up here and there with some pre-reg in mind. Maybe part of the eventual solution will to have pax official events run in their typical fcfs format, and provide a better system for attendees to run their own stuff with pre-reg. I don't know. Again, we can only work with what we've got in front of us at the moment and provide solid constructive feedback after the show to improve it for next year.

zerzhul on
    Here is more information on the way it is going to work for 2017:
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/214790/board-game-tournaments-registration-faq

• TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Either I'm oblivious or it's not posted but maybe someone will know. Are there no shuttles for unplugged?

I don't know of any. If there were some, I would expect them to show up here: http://unplugged.paxsite.com/hotels-travel

• DekoKantaraDekoKantara Registered User new member
    Just wanted to see if anyone has this answer. According to the FAQ, the pre-sale merch is supposed to be shipped to us before the show. Just wanted to check in to see if that is still the case.

4O0xrHY.png
    edited November 2017
    Just wanted to see if anyone has this answer. According to the FAQ, the pre-sale merch is supposed to be shipped to us before the show. Just wanted to check in to see if that is still the case.
    Which FAQ? I was under the impression that PAX Unplugged merch was pick-up at the show, based on the language used in the registration process.

http://unplugged.paxsite.com/faq/answer/i-bought-my-badge-and-pre-sale-merch.-will-they-arrive-together
    edit, nvm, I found it. I will follow up with the appropriate folks.

zerzhul on
  • TerinsalisTerinsalis Registered User new member
    Unfortunately, I did not sign up before badge shipping. What time will the Will Call open on Friday morning? If that is a separate queue from game registrations, after picking up the pass, does one go to the back of the game registration queue?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Will Call will be open when the building opens at 8. You'll be able to head straight there (or rather, to the line for it), then after getting your badges you can go into whichever queue you want.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • ltgruntltgrunt Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Here is more information on the way it is going to work for 2017:
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/214790/board-game-tournaments-registration-faq

I see that thread and the FAQ are specifically about tournaments. I'm basically hoping to make this a "play D&D as much as possible and occasionally see a panel or watch some of my favorite professional nerds play D&D on stage" weekend. Are all of the D&D Adventurer's League events going to be strictly FCFS?

mkf6ad9.png
  • GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    The D&D AL registration for all of the day's events will be FCFS, starting at 10AM.

If you are looking for another option, the only one I can think of offhand is the Total Party Kill tournament, run by 2CGaming, which is doing their own online pre-reg: http://www.2cgaming.com/the-tpk-tournament

• DoveroDovero Registered User new member
    Either I'm oblivious or it's not posted but maybe someone will know. Are there no shuttles for unplugged?

Unless you are staying WAAAAYYYY out, there are enough options with SEPTA (see Septa.Org) that shuttles would be pointless. The Market/Frankfort Blue line subway has a stop right at the center. There are multiple Regional Rail trains that stop right in the basement of the convention center (Jefferson Station stop) (You can even catch a train from Wilmington DE and get right to the convention center stop) and there are a slew of bus routes that stop right in front of the center. Add in a plethora of taxis, ubers and lifts and Shuttles go the way of the dinosaurs.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    Does anyone know what entrance we'll actually be using for the convention? Also any word on the skybridge from the Marriott being open?

P0P7S6y.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Solanales wrote: »
    Does anyone know what entrance we'll actually be using for the convention? Also any word on the skybridge from the Marriott being open?

I believe Gundabad was going to check on this and get back to us when he got on site. From the maps on the app, the queue area is the grand Hall entrance by 12th and Market, but not sure if that's the entrance they'll use.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited November 2017
    Solanales wrote: »

I believe Gundabad was going to check on this and get back to us when he got on site. From the maps on the app, the queue area is the grand Hall entrance by 12th and Market, but not sure if that's the entrance they'll use.

Yeah I noticed that as well. I get the general layout but i know that entrance is kind of a pain to get to which is why i was confused. I guess we'll see how it goes. Might have to do some exploration on thursday night.

Come to think of it though there is an entrance on Market Street that goes into a lower area then into the actual area that the queue hall will be on... i could see that being used.

Solanales on

P0P7S6y.png
  • GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    Pretty much every door to the convention center will be open. You'll be directed where you need to go if you show up in that pre-show 8AM-10AM window. There are only a few areas at that time:
    - Registration/Will Call
    - Merch Booth Lite (can line up there, and may open early)
    - Tabletop Tournament early registration queue
    - Main Theater queue
    - One Queue Room line for everything else at the convention: Expo Hall, the other theaters, the other departments with event registration opening at 10, etc.

Arch & 11th or Arch & 12th are ideal if you need to go to Registration or want to get in Merch lien

The Market Street entrance will also be open and I personally think that one is ideal for entering the Tourney Reg/Main Theater/Everything Else queues.

Thanks a ton Gundabad. You're the man!

P0P7S6y.png
  • BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    If we ordered pins or any add ons do we get them from will call? I already got my badges.

You will get them from Merch Lite, which is across the hallway from Registration/Will Call.

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    when we pick up our pre-ordered items, can we just bring ID or do we need to also bring proof of purchase?

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
    ishtra wrote: »
    when we pick up our pre-ordered items, can we just bring ID or do we need to also bring proof of purchase?
    I believe the email you should have received included instructions for that! It can't hurt to have as much info as possible :)

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Haha true. thanks. Emails are going to a buddy, so was curious. couldn’t hurt to print everything before I leave :)

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • BilltacularBilltacular Registered User new member
    Do we know ANYTHING about newer games that will be for sale? Haven't seen a thing.

Do we know ANYTHING about newer games that will be for sale? Haven't seen a thing.
    I think one would have to look up the vendors that will be there and check with their websites or social media presences. I don't believe anyone has compiled a list.