As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Voting Day

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    There's just a mayoral runoff race today in my city, between an independent and the Democrat. The funny thing is, the Democratic candidate is actually endorsed by the County GOP head as well and has campaigned for GOP candidates in the past. The Democratic Party has also endorsed the incumbent independent Mayor in the past. Pretty much the Democratic Party of NC sold out the actually progressive candidate because she refuses to register Democrat.

Well, just like with Bernie, the Democratic party owes nothing to someone who isn't registered with their party.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I gotta swing by and vote after work.

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Down with the American two party system

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I have political opinions but America's political landscape was constant garbage even before 2017, and I'm too fucking tired to stay on it like I used to

it's simply a shit hurricane, now

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Make sure to not cock it up again this time, America

No promises are made.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    everyone ran unopposed here. I voted no on the constitutional convention because I don't think it will be any different than a normal legislative session

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    everyone ran unopposed here. I voted no on the constitutional convention because I don't think it will be any different than a normal legislative session

Could be plenty worse though.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Whoops.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Down with the American two party system

as long as we're changing the voting system to accommodate, sure.

fptp always ends back at 2

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    No voting out here right now, but I wish they would push the law to ballot about making it legal to buy alcohol on Sundays. The reasons why you can't are all church based, and last time someone brought it up in the state Senate all the very elderly people who are on the Senate fought it crazy hard "for God". I hate my state

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    New Jersey preliminary exit polls are looking like double digits for Dems - Christie's entire legacy is about to get wiped overnight. Virginia's still too close to call.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    what important elections are going on today anyway. I remember hearing about a few special elections

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    what important elections are going on today anyway. I remember hearing about a few special elections

VA governor is the big one I think

edit: it's both hilarious and scary that both candidates are basically using the boogyman that their opponent is a republican. It really confused me.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017

The governors of New Jersey and Virginia, the House of Delegates in Virginia (Dems very unlikely to take control, but how many seats flip may provide clues to 2018 Midterms), a proposal to expand Medicaid in Maine, and a special election in Washington that could give Democrats full control of the state government, and thus full control of all state governments on the west coast are the big ones.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Polls are closed in Virginia, so time to strap in. Turnout is higher than 2013 (last governor election) in some Democrat-leaning districts and lower in some Republic-leaning districts. Note that turnout does not mean that the new voters voted how you wanted, nor does it mean that there was not similar increases in Republican-leaning districts that have not reported numbers.

• Options
    polls close at 7 in VA?!

with beltway traffic?!

fuck you very much blue counties

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Went and voted today. Voted against all the constitutional propositions for Texas, voted for the municipality bonds and for my city council representatives.

Local elections folks. Every election matters.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Make sure to not cock it up again this time, America

Oh it's been a long 4 years, but we're ready to get it right this time...

What? It hasn't even been 1 year? Fuck.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Also, obligatory "NoVa votes come in late" so don't panic if Gillespie is in the lead during the early evening.

You may still panic at the end result, but at least you save your heart for a few hours.

• Options
    Hyra appears to have been a reasonably effective spoiler against the Republican vote, given how many people voted for Vogel but not for Gillespie

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Swing_vote_08.jpg

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Things are looking very good for Northam in Virginia. No official calls yet, but pundits are weighing in.

Reporter for Cook Political Report.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    My little area of PA had an embarrassingly low estimate of 17% turnout...when I went around 4, they were up to 33%. Which really could go either way. A huge percentage of the town I'm in is registered D, but often ends up voting R.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Some more potential good news on a local scale.

The Republic candidate, Bob Marshall, refused to refer to Danica Roem as a woman during the campaign.

• Options
    said this in another thread but given how PW county has HUGE populations of Asian (esp South Asian and Mid-Eastern) and Hispanic immigrants, energizing that county's minority population made for a 23 point swing

I mean, most of NoVA is like that, but PW's population seems to have been particularly incensed this year

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »

The Republic candidate, Bob Marshall, refused to refer to Danica Roem as a woman during the campaign.

Apparently Marshall was the guy who wrote the anti-trans bathroom bill

And now he has to hand his seat over to a trans woman

Sometimes, things are good

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Remember how I said it was very unlikely Democrats would take the House of Delegates? They need to flip 17 seats for that to happen. They're currently up 11, with 13 more still in play. They may not pull it off, but this is a tidal wave.

Baidol on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Today was a good day for liberals

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Got my vote in. My district of VA ended up blue. Yay.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Did my part for VA today. Glad i'll be able to stomach the news, at least for one day.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    man, shoutout to all the progressives who campaigned their arses off to win these seats, even when they'd been abandoned by the democratic party

as much as this is a knock against the republicans and trump, it really looked like there were a bunch of candidates who didn't buy into the whole "well i guess we've got to compromise with conservatives", and ran on leftist, pro-trans, pro-queer policies and put in a hell of a lot of hard work.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Literally the only thing up around here was school board seats, not even a referendum or anything (I honestly don't get there being non-special elections today, at least from a logistics standpoint. And then I get it, but that's off-topic)

So glad to see positive results in other places.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Now I wonder if it's possible to see successful prosecutions against corrupt / racist police in the coming years.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I wasn’t able to vote this morning because I had to drive out of state today unexpectedly. I wish I had been able to because there’s some utterly bullshit state constitutional amendments on the ballot that will probably get through.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Today was a good day for liberals

It's been a while

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Now I wonder if it's possible to see successful prosecutions against corrupt / racist police in the coming years.

Depends on the judges. Police really need a separate trial system for corruption and brutality charges

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »

Apparently Marshall was the guy who wrote the anti-trans bathroom bill

And now he has to hand his seat over to a trans woman

Sometimes, things are good

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

Depends on the judges. Police really need a separate trial system for corruption and brutality charges

considering that the party is considering a pro-life direction, I don't think they're listening to their voting base enough

honestly, I hope the social democrats keep getting steam - at the very least someone in the democrat party's leadership might be prodded leftward

but I don't expect them to swing left in a "risky" area that can be construed as being "soft on crime"

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)