As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Avengers

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Avengers

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• MaryAmeliaMaryAmelia Registered User regular
    The camel's hump seems to be growing over the saddle?

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    MaryAmelia wrote: »

Don't body shame.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I love when they take side-jabs at bad internet names.

The other day I was in Overwatch, and I normally have general chat turned off, but I think a recent patch turned it back on. And I witnessed a conversation that went like this (paraphrased).

xXDeathGod420Xx says something of unimportance in general chat.
    Player 2 (don't remember his name) calls out xXDeathGod420Xx on his ridiculous name.
    xXDeathGod420Xx retorts that he made the name ironically
    Player 2 comments that the irony does not translate across the internet, and instead of being an ironic douche, he's just a regular douche.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I have not laughed out loud at a strip in quite some time. This is a good one.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular

That's not the hump, that's the saddle. This is one of those rare humpless camels.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Always avenge WeedLordVegeta.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    When Destiny 2 came out, I was running through the very dramatic and serious opening scenes, and I got to the part where you have to defend the plaza with Zavala. Which also happens to be the first place can encounter other players.

So right as Zavala was asking me to help him hold the line while people evacuate, i get a message that MrSillyPants is nearby.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    The first time I saw a StarCraft bot say "gg", I realized that games have given up on immersion in multiplayer and swung the other direction. They'll never make players fit into the worlds they build-- but they can make the worlds resemble players. Watch for a game that offers an in-universe justification for bunny hopping and NPCs who bunny hop everywhere they go, with randomly generated names indistinguishable from player created names.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

That's not the hump, that's the saddle. This is one of those rare humpless camels.

But... but it has fur...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    dennis wrote: »

But... but it has fur...

As do many coats.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Every time I get a red alert in Star Trek Online, I get a little excited, but I know at least one absurd name is going to be in my face as soon as I show up to help. "Admiral, the Nak'uhl are destabilizing the temperal whatchamacallit in the Japori System!" "Maximum warp, Commander. What other ships are en route?" "Let's see, Captain John Luke Placard of the USS Exit Prize is already in system and - " "You know what, stand down red alert and change course."

Hell is other people.

Hevach on
  • KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    Yeah I've kinda stopped doing those as well, between the stupid names and the fact that they are only worth 100xp for running across the map. Not to mention that if you get a guy who died to civilians you get really annoyed.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    The first time I saw a StarCraft bot say "gg", I realized that games have given up on immersion in multiplayer and swung the other direction. They'll never make players fit into the worlds they build-- but they can make the worlds resemble players. Watch for a game that offers an in-universe justification for bunny hopping and NPCs who bunny hop everywhere they go, with randomly generated names indistinguishable from player created names.
    4kxkhxfdx93k.png

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Looking at actual screenshots. I believe the "humps" are the actual saddle, although drawn somewhat furrily. The 2 blankets are to protect the camel from the saddle as I understand it. Backing this up is that Gabe tends to draw stuff somewhat realistically. Like he'll draw an Apple monitor if he's using one.

• Kaptajn CongoboyKaptajn Congoboy Registered User new member
    Story immersion =/ online multiplayer. It is not really possible to fix this.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Journey did a decent job at it, i hear. But then there was almost no communication and i don't know if it even showed names.

steam_sig.png
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Journey only showed names after you finished it. It then showed all the people you had played with. Which was frequently way more than you expected.

• AuscultaAusculta Registered User new member
    I kinda liked the way Xenoverse handled this.... "Player" NPCs would randomly show up and challenge you. Don't like their name? That's fine... They're already just begging for you to beat the crap out of them anyway.

• JackBeenJackBeen Registered User regular
    I tend to have solid names in MMOs and such... when I join early enough.

I jumped onto the XBox Live band wagon WAY late. So... all of my usual variants were taken.

So I used one of my old High School fall-backs which isn't horrible... but between the alternative spelling I use (k's instead of c's) it's not something I love. At least I didn't pad it with xxxX Xxxx or numbers of whatever.

But to be honest, WeedLazor (without the number) is probably better than what I have.