As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[13th Age] Warehouse 13th Age Discord Game! Saturday Nights!

Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
edited November 2017 in Critical Failures
yfsq6f0anfm2.png

The Vault of Time is a legend in the Dragon Empire, a mythical prison where the most dangerous artifacts, creatures, and people are locked away. The Vault is said to be removed from time and space, and that anything placed inside the Vault disappears from History and memory. Its location is a closely guarded secret, so secret that some say that not even the Icons are allowed to know. That was until a slip of paper appeared from nowhere in the Magic Academy on Horizon and the Archmage suddenly remembered something he forgot.

So this game is going to be played over Discord on Saturday nights, likely at 8pm Eastern Standard Time, although I am flexible on days and times (Also may be interrupted by American College Football if Alabama is playing during that time.) I am looking for 4-6 players to join. I have 2-3 people interested but not confirmed. Everyone's characters will be 1st level characters, and race or class from the core book or 13 True Ways allowed. Other homebrew stuff you will need to ask so I can review it before making.

I'm going to be using my Icon Token system instead of the RAW Icon relationship rolls. They work much the same in character creation but they work differently in play.

Session rolls - At the beginning of each session, players will roll all of their icon relationship dice. 5s and 6s become tokens for the players to spend as they see fit. They do not expire, but you can only hold a maximum number of tokens equal to the number of relationship dice you have. If a talent or feature grants you extra temporary icon relationship dice mid-session, you will be allowed to roll them when they're obtained.

The following is a list of the types of things you can get by spending your tokens.

If you spend a 6, you can:

• Succeed at a skill check.
• Re-roll an attack roll and take the better result.
• Let an ally re-roll an attack and take the better result.
• Force an opponent to re-roll and take the worse result. (does not apply to critical hits)
• Redistribute recoveries among the party.
• Restore two recoveries for yourself or an ally.
• (Spend 3 tokens) Gain a true magic item, you get to choose the type. (Limit one per adventuring tier).
• Influence the story, conjure a resource, etc. E.g.

If you spend a 5 token, you can do all of the above things except gain a true magic item. In addition, spending a 5 comes with a complication or cost. This is a sort of negotiation. You tell the GM what you want, they tell you what they think it'll cost, and you can suggest tweaks or changes and come to an agreement. There is one more use for 5 tokens and only 5 tokens, listed below:
• Save someone from death
○ A PC can spend a 5 token to save an ally from death(but cannot spend one for themselves)
○ A hard bargain will be offered, and the dying PC either chooses to accept it and live, or go on to die.

I'm going to keep the recruitment open until I get 6 players or everyone is ready to play.

The Discord Channel Link is https://discord.gg/eX56MB6 I just made it so its got nothing on it yet but it will have a Dicebot once I put one in.

Grunt's Ghosts on

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    e: nevermind, apparently I can't actually do Saturdays after all.

Sorry.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    My wife and I are interested. Let me talk to her.

I am probably leaning... Paladin maybe. She typically likes Thievery characters.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    My gf is looking at the book now. Right now she's got "Half-Orc ----"

My gf is looking at the book now. Right now she's got "Half-Orc ----"

Druid.

She's brand new to role playing like this so druid would be really hard for her. Then again, she picked Human Wizard with a poisonous, talking owl as a familiar.

edited November 2017
    e: put it in the general 13th Age thread

Tox on
    Tox, make sure you join the Discord server.

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I think I am going to do a Catfolk Paladin. My wife is going to do a Catfolk as well, but a Ranger or Rogue.

wovyi0ywo4k5.png

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Hey there! I'm interested in joining up. Not too sure on character yet, but I'm pretty flexible. I tend toward big, dumb warrior types, but I can do other types, too.

what a happy day it is
    Catfolk??
    Tox, make sure you join the Discord server.

Will do!

I'm shooting for the first game to be this Saturday night, so get those sheets done this week.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I am interested as heck if you'll have me and aren't full. I'll start thinking up some character ideas. It's been too long since I've had a proper non-pbp RPG game to play honestly.

Edit:
    I've had the powerful urge to play a Gnoll for quite some time and was wondering if you think that would be alright. I'd probably use the rules here

http://13thage.org/index.php/racess/151-gnoll

Though lore-wise personally I'd probably hew closer to the Core and 13-true ways interpretation than that small blurb in the description.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    Well if we were full my spot's open. Apparently I can't do Saturdays, I thought I could.

Damn. Sorry Tox.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Veerak Gnollking, Revanchist Gnoll Druid Warrior
    Level 1 Druid

Gnoll.png

Stats
    Race: Gnoll
    +2 Constitution OR +2 Dexterity

Cull the Weak (Racial Power)
    Once per battle, when you strike a staggered enemy with a naturally odd hit, you may deal damage as though you rolled a critical hit.
    Champion Feat: In addition to the damage the target becomes dazed until it makes a normal save.
    STR - 12 (+1)
    DEX -18 (+4)
    CON - 16 (+3)
    INT - 10 (+0)
    WIS - 10 (+0)
    CHA - 12 (+1)

Dex Build

Initiative: +5
    Armor Class: 16
    Physical Defense: 15
    Mental Defense: 10
    Hit Points: 30
    Recoveries: 8
    Recovery Dice: 1d6+3

Druid Talents:

Druid Warrior Adept, Adventurer Feat
    Your AC in light armor is 12 instead of 10 like most other druids
    Your base hit points are 7 + CON mod instead of 6 + CON mod
    You can use one-handed 1d8 martial weapons without taking
    the –2 attack penalty that other druids suffer.

You can use a shield without taking an attack penalty like
    other druids. (For the record, you only get the shield AC
    bonus while fighting in humanoid form.)

Flexible Attacks:
    Ancestral Guidance
    Invoke the Storm

Druid Shifter Initiate

Gear:
    Light Armor, Battleaxe, Shield, 25GP

Background
    Backgrounds:
    Disciple of the Dark Wood - 3
    Noble Scion - 3
    Crusader's Soldier - 2

One Unique Thing: Gnollble Heritage
    The eldest child in a long line of Gnoll nobility who trace their lineage back to the extended family of the ancient rulers of the Gnoll Kingdom which existed before the Wizard King came. Veerak comes from one of the few civilized bastions of Gnoll society left in the world and was raised to one day rule it. Veerak seeks not only to rule a tiny realm hidden deep in the wilds far from the Empire's prying eyes but to take back all that was lost from his people in land and spirit due to their fall.

Icon Relationships:
    -1 The Lich King, The Wizard King destroyed the ancient civilization of the Gnolls and built his empire atop its bones, as well as the bones of many others. Veerak and his family hate him for this, and as much as Veerak wishes to regain his own people's high place in the world, he wants to see the Lich King destroyed and his dreams crushed just as much. This hatred has not gone unnoticed.
    ~1 The High Druid, Veerak is certainly not the High Druid's enemy and has worked to advance her goals in the past, but he is also an unapologetic child of civilization and seeks to expand his own. Though the cliche would have that all Druids seek to reclaim the Wilds, Veerak's position is much more nuanced. The High Druid has mixed feelings about these nuances.
    +1 The Crusader, Veerak can hardly rule a reclaimed land destroyed by demons, and he hates that his people have been coopted by the Diabolist so thoroughly and besides, Veerak is not above looking the dark gods for power and advantage, if it serves his aims. Not all gods of nature are those of light, and not all gods of darkness hate the wild places. Veerak has served the Crusader and his aims in the past, and their goals often align.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited November 2017
    Yuan-ti-Abomination-02-01.jpg
    By Daarken, Source
    Sai Ou, the Serpentfolk Priest of Chronophis

-- Serpentfolk (Modified Dragonic) --
    Racial Bonus: +2 STR
    Racial Power: Venomous Bite (Modified Dark Elf’s power, Cruel)
    > Once per battle, deal ongoing poison damage to a target you hit with a natural even attack roll as a free action. This ongoing damage is equal to 5 times your level, and a normal save (11+) ends this damage. A critical hit does not double this ongoing damage.

-- One Unique Thing --
    Prehistoric Snake Priest
    > In a time before history, when a serpentfolk empire ruled the realms, Sai Ou, a not-so-smart warrior priest, was petrified and forgotten. He does not remember why or how it happened, although he does remember posing for it. Regardless, the curse finally ended; now, he wants to make the best of his life in the Dragon Empire.

Background Stuff
    -- Backgrounds --
    Time Serpent’s Templar - 4
    > Sai knows things about divinities and practices the precepts of his faith under the Infinite Serpent of Time, Chronophis: patience, persistence, meditation, empathy, and respect. Time is precious; it is up to mortals to make the most of it. Chronophis's symbol is a serpent encircling the world, sun, and stars.

Snake! A Snake! Oooh, It’s a Snake! - 4
    > Sai is a snake. He can do snake things, like feel ground vibrations, wait completely still, taste the air, sense heat, reach things on the top of shelves, and give the *best* hugs.

-- Icon Relationships --
    Lich King, Negative 1
    > The undead are the rejection of mortality, and mortality is one of the most important consequences of time. The Lich King also seems to take offense at Sai’s existence.

Archmage, Positive 1
    > Sai woke up in an Archmage museum, having once been frozen as a statue since before the dawn of Ages. They help each other investigate what happened to the ancient serpentfolk.

Priestess, Positive 1
    > While learning about the past is nice, the present is more important. To that end, Sai works with the Priestess’s followers to help folks now.

Stats Stuff
    -- Stats --
    STR: 18 (+4)
    DEX: 10 (+0)
    CON: 14 (+2)
    INT: 8 (-1)
    WIS: 16 (+3)
    CHA: 12 (+1)

Melee Weapon::Grand Mace - Heavy, Two-handed
    Attack: +5 (Level 1, STR 4)
    Hit: 1d10+4
    Miss: Damage equal to your level

Weapon::Javelin of Faith
    Ranged Attack: +4 (Level 1)
    Hit: 1d6+3
    Miss: -

Initiative: +1 (Level +1)

HP: 27/27
    AC: 17 (Heavy Armor: 14 + Level 1 + CON 2)
    PD: 14 (11 + Level 1 + CON 2)
    MD: 13 (11 + Level 1 + CHA 1)

Recoveries: 8/8
    Recovery: 1d8+2

-- Talents --
    Domain::Healing
    When you cast a spell that lets you or an ally heal using a recovery, the target also adds hit points equal to double your level to the recovery.
    > Invocation: This battle, you gain an additional use of the Heal spell. The first Heal spell you cast after using this invocation allows the target to heal using a free recovery instead of spending a recovery.

Domain::Infinity (Community)
    Once per battle, you can affect two additional allies when you cast a spell for broad effect.
    > Invocation: This battle, critical hits against you and your nearby allies deal normal damage instead of critical damage.

Domain::Destruction (Strength)
    You can wield Heavy/Martial weapons without an attack penalty.
    > Invocation: This battle, you and your nearby allies deal triple damage instead of double damage on critical hits with melee attacks.

-- Spells --
    Heal, Bless, Cure Wounds, Javelin of Faith, Shield of Faith

Uh, hm, other than the spells not being detailed out, I think that's everything? Let me know if I missed something.

doomybear on
    what a happy day it is
    Yeah, looks good. Although I don't think we have humans, dwarves, and elves anymore. Looks like we are all animal races.

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Ah I missed this! Gah stupid being busy. Sorry, GG.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
    'ello

How's it looking this Saturday?

what a happy day it is
    My gf is working overnight this weekend so I'm going to try to make it short. Which, this session will be explaining the plot and setting up stuff, giving the group a chance to do something less railroad so it might work.