As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is there such a thing as fear of seafood?

2»

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I actually tried to communicate all this and the response was “be brave”

Which I think was tongue-in-cheek rather than malicious or misandrist, but still made me a bit uncomfortable

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Also, thank you for all the posts. I have read them all and I will come back to this tomorrow. I’m not in a situation where I can really post right now.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Assuming this is a date thing, knowing a person is not respectful of your comfort zone is a good thing to know beforehand, because it's likely to affect other parts of the relationship.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    So I love raw oysters but I don't think I'd introduce oysters to someone as their first time raw. I'd probably go with Po' Boys to start, or some other fried oyster.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Oysters are journeyman level, minimum. Salmon burger or fried crawfish tails are where you start with someone feeling questionable about seafood.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Fried calamari works too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    I've never been a big fan of seafood, but then years ago I got quite ill for a long stretch of time. The illness made me feel nauseous a lot, and I actually started getting nightmares about specifically seafood for some reason. Stuff like rotting fish swimming around in the air in my room. The smell would totally freak me out and I avoided it at all costs.

Thankfully I got better and went back to just not liking it, but given my experience I'm not at all surprised it does weird things to other people too. Brains are very strange.

handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I avoid like a ton of food. I am a very picky eater. Since this affects precisely 1 person, I don't feel a need to address it further. I don't do soups for example. Not a single one. Weirds me out. This is not the only thing I have issues with, but it does come up the most often. I have explained to my friends I don't like them and my friends are respectful of it. Some playful teasing, but none of the ones I spend time with really care. Occasionally some asshole will be very insistent I have to try some food, and get really weird about my refusal. I don't go out to eat with those people, and ultimately just cut them out. I don't need that in my life.

In terms of it being a thing? Sure, why not. Everything is a thing. If it is not having an impact on your normal daily functioning then it isn't a pressing issue. Obviously if you want to eat seafood and this is your only barrier it is something to work on. Short of that I would suggest